Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
That's pretty dope: http://www.iampeth.com/masterpenmen.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

This guy is 1 of 11 Master Penman.

http://vimeo.com/62116940

Holy crap.

Are those flex nibs? The pens in the beginning?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

AnimalChin posted:

Holy crap.

Are those flex nibs? The pens in the beginning?

They are flex nibs, with eyedropper filling methods. Illustrators like them because you can just screw a handle into them so you can keep a dozen of them charged with different inks easily.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure they're just regular flexy dip pen nibs though? They don't seem to have any eyedropper components on them as far as I can tell.

Also, reading that IAMPETH link, I had no idea the White House had it's own calligrapher, that's seriously awesome!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

HolySwissCheese posted:

Spent the afternoon at the ren faire outside of Austin, and one of the tents happened to be the guy who runs Scribal Workshop. I ended up buying Mermaid and Siren since he turned out to be a pretty cool guy. He said his biggest, biggest pet peeve is feathering, and his pride is that his inks work really well on all but the very worst paper. I told him I usually use a Lamy on whatever paper I can get at work, and he seemed really empathetic. Pretty cool to meet a guy who actually makes his own ink. $8 per 60ml is also insanely cheap.

I've only seen one of his inks, but his Zhulong definitely behaves way better on cheap moleskine cahier paper than Sheaffer Skrip red (Which ends up looking splotchy and mottled brownish on the cheapo ivory-hued paper) even when both are written with EF/F.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for those links, that is some incredible work!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I've just started trying to fix a pen for a family member. It's (we think) an "Ero". Piston-fill, plastic body. Full of dried ink, so it's soakin' time.

Anyone ever seen one?

ed:

Half a barrel of 20+ year old dried ink later:

Looks like it'll either need the cork plug on the plunger replacing, or switching for some fat o-rings and silicone grease.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 26, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Thanks; it not having ink is probably the problem. Ordered some. It looks like you're right about while experimenting, I wasn't closing the cap with the pen still submerged. I tried closing it with the hole still submerged, and now when I unsubmerge it and unscrew the end, the water drips out.
Works now, with ink.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I was thinking about getting a Stub 1.1, but I wanted to ask how it compares to using a Lamy F (everyone else's M) nib. I'm mostly concerned about thickness, and the feel. Are the lines comparable? Smaller than the Lamy F? Larger?

Asking so I know what I nib I'd like on a 580. :ohdear:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Synastren posted:

I was thinking about getting a Stub 1.1, but I wanted to ask how it compares to using a Lamy F (everyone else's M) nib. I'm mostly concerned about thickness, and the feel. Are the lines comparable? Smaller than the Lamy F? Larger?

Asking so I know what I nib I'd like on a 580. :ohdear:

I think F is usually around 0.5 and M is usually around 0.7, but this of course will vary based on nib manufacturer, ink, and paper. It's either that or I'm confusing F and EF.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

kirtar posted:

I think F is usually around 0.5 and M is usually around 0.7, but this of course will vary based on nib manufacturer, ink, and paper. It's either that or I'm confusing F and EF.

I'd measure it, but I don't have any implements that would be accurate enough in millimeters. Clearly, asking for qualitative, subjective data is the solution! :v:

If Lamy F is ~.7 mm, that gives me a good ballpark, though.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Well if you want qualitative data: it'll be much wider than your F on the downstroke, but will be thinner than your F on the lateral strokes :v:

As for feel, you may find that it drags more on the paper due to it having a bigger footprint than the F. I certainly found my 1.5mm TWSBI seemed to 'drag' more than my other nibs.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Why is this happening?

Nib Nook! Compare for yourself and see with fancy graph paper and a multitude of nib types.

Selecting the Lamy F and M with the TWSBI 1.1 stub in between it is much wider with the wide stroke, and appears as thin or thinner than the F with the thin stroke.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Brightman posted:

Why is this happening?

Nib Nook! Compare for yourself and see with fancy graph paper and a multitude of nib types.

Selecting the Lamy F and M with the TWSBI 1.1 stub in between it is much wider with the wide stroke, and appears as thin or thinner than the F with the thin stroke.

Because I did not know about this wonderful website. :allears:

Thanks!

Ed: The width of the Lamy M nib looks thinner than the width of the Lamy F nib!

Synastren fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 28, 2013

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I just got my TWSBI Diamond 580 with 1.1 nib in the mail. I was excited to use it, but after the next day, it felt all scratchy against the paper and sometimes refuses to draw ink on some strokes. I don't see any obstruction in the nib. Everything should still be brand new. What could be happening? I hope I didn't do anything wrong. :ohdear:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I just got my TWSBI Diamond 580 with 1.1 nib in the mail. I was excited to use it, but after the next day, it felt all scratchy against the paper and sometimes refuses to draw ink on some strokes. I don't see any obstruction in the nib. Everything should still be brand new. What could be happening? I hope I didn't do anything wrong. :ohdear:

Moreso than most nibs, stubs tend to be more picky on the angle that they contact the paper, but when it's just right, it should be extremely smooth. At the very least, this is my experience with a twsbi and lamy italic/stub

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Like gwrtheyrn said, make sure the whole of the nib tip is contacting the paper when you write and it should be pretty smooth, same as my experience with TWSBI italics. Also, make sure that one tine isn't higher than the other, as if both aren't touching the paper then it wont write and will be very scratchy when moving the nib left/right on the paper.

Like with all new pens, if you didn't flush through the pen first then please do that, as the machining process can leave oils and residue in the pens which can make them very temperamental and poor writers!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I found with my stub I needed to be careful that I didn't press too hard splitting the tines. Once I corrected for that, everything was fine.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I just got a bottle of Heart of Darkness. Is the free pen it comes with safe to use with it (as in, it won't leak horribly when put in a pocket and then put goddamn impossible to remove ink on everything I have?)

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I have a question about Lamy's warranty. I have a Safari which, for whatever reason, is stuck with the cap posted and won't come undone, which means I can't take it anywhere, which means I can't really use it anymore. I know that Lamy have a lifetime warranty from their website, but it cites that it doesn't cover "damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized service and the use of other manufacturers refills or inks". Thing is, yesterday, I dropped the pen while running to catch a bus, and when I tried to write with it the next day the cap became stuck. Is this "misuse", or do I have a chance at not having to pay for another pen (which I'd really rather not have to do right now)?

The pen itself is fine, but the body's SOL (I tried to remove the cap a few different ways but I worry anything more is going to damage the plastic it's made from - I've made a tiny hairline stress lightening of the material from when I tried to pry it with a thin piece of aluminum, which might also bother them if/when they assess it.)

VVV

Yeah, makes sense. I tried the grippy pot-holder thing already and no dice, sadly. Thanks for the response!

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 29, 2013

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Vagueabond posted:

I have a question about Lamy's warranty.
The pen itself is fine, but the body's SOL (I tried to remove the cap a few different ways but I worry anything more is going to damage the plastic it's made from - I've made a tiny hairline stress lightening of the material from when I tried to pry it with a thin piece of aluminum, which might also bother them if/when they assess it.)

Honestly, it's a ten quid pen. You'll probably pay more in postage and be without your pen for at least a week, opposed to just buying a new one and having a bunch of spare parts on-hand.

On the other hand, first thing I'd do is wrap strips of rubber or cut strips off one of those grippy mats around the cap and body and see if you can twist it loose with your hands.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Luisfe posted:

I just got a bottle of Heart of Darkness. Is the free pen it comes with safe to use with it (as in, it won't leak horribly when put in a pocket and then put goddamn impossible to remove ink on everything I have?)
Absolutely, mine has turned into my dedicated HoD pen in fact and it writes well to boot!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Luisfe posted:

On top of being a great pen, the ink is only absolutely permanent on paper, on cloth you can get it out, as in, it's in the realm of possibility, but depending on several factors, the thing might still be stained for life.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Noodlers eternal inks bind with cellulose, which makes them permanent on paper. It also makes them permanent on natural fibres like cotton, so you're screwed if you spill it on some clothes. Synthetics will survive though!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Luisfe posted:

The only reason I stopped using that pen (which is a Platinum Preppy with no logo) is because I like to write with thicker lines and a Japanese fine just wasn't doing it for me. It's a great little pen and it's so cheap you don't have to worry about losing or breaking it!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Vitamins posted:

Noodlers eternal inks bind with cellulose, which makes them permanent on paper. It also makes them permanent on natural fibres like cotton, so you're screwed if you spill it on some clothes. Synthetics will survive though!

Or, just stain the rest of the shirt and you've got a sweet new black top.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

angerbot posted:

Or, just stain the rest of the shirt and you've got a sweet new black top.

It'll stay black forever too! :v:

Platinum Preppys are fantastic little pens for what they are, really cheap too! They're probably the best starter fountain pen you can get, so I wouldn't worry about it leaking everywhere!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I loved my preppy eyedropper. My Hero and 78G leaked everywhere (and the Hero actually cut my thumb and index fingers six times so deeply I almost needed gauze for the whole area) but that thing was a champ. :buddy:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Xovaan posted:

(and the Hero actually cut my thumb and index fingers six times so deeply I almost needed gauze for the whole area)

Uhhhh how did you manage that? :stare:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Xovaan posted:

I loved my preppy eyedropper. My Hero and 78G leaked everywhere (and the Hero actually cut my thumb and index fingers six times so deeply I almost needed gauze for the whole area) but that thing was a champ. :buddy:

You tried to tattoo yourself, didn't you?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The metal washer between the pen's head and the vacuum sack is sharper than my DE feather blades. Let's just leave it at that.

:emo:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just got my first italic nib thing in a sheaffer viewpoint calligraphy pen thing. Medium nib.
like this http://www.ipenstore.com/servlet/the-5616/Sheaffer-Viewpoint-Calligraphy-Fountain/Detail
This is gonna be fun to use.

Now I just need to get 20 more ink bottles.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
In case anyone was wondering, the 3-in-1 fountain pen, butane lighter, flashlight from dealextreme is actually a 2-in-1 worthless lighter, worthless flashlight. There's no pen in that pen.

http://dx.com/p/3-in-1-fountain-pen-w-butane-lighter-white-illuminating-light-black-silver-3-x-ag4-180713

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Xovaan posted:

The metal washer between the pen's head and the vacuum sack is sharper than my DE feather blades. Let's just leave it at that.

I guess Superior Chinese Engineering can combine the aesthetics of a fountain pen with the utility of a straight razor...

AnimalChin posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the 3-in-1 fountain pen, butane lighter, flashlight from dealextreme is actually a 2-in-1 worthless lighter, worthless flashlight. There's no pen in that pen.

http://dx.com/p/3-in-1-fountain-pen-w-butane-lighter-white-illuminating-light-black-silver-3-x-ag4-180713

...but lighters and flashlights are taking it too far.

Who knows, maybe in the future it'll be possible! Godspeed you crazy, cheapass engineering bastards :china:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

AnimalChin posted:

Thanks for reopening old wounds. My hopes and dreams! :negative:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Xovaan posted:

I'm so confused - you managed to hurt yourself with a fountain pen?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Part of adjusting/modifying a Hero is to remove the awful metal that exists around the vacuum sack in order to allow for more ink storage. Unfortunately, whichever assembly worker in charge of making the washer that connects the body to the head decided it would be a brilliant idea to make this washer as sharp as loving possible, to the point where I didn't even feel my hand's several deep cuts until blood started trickling down my arm. Because injuring oneself from simply twisting a pen head shroud back onto the vacuum apparatus is unheard of and stupid and would never happen, or so we both thought.

I was literally lacerated by routine fountain pen maintenance. I haven't even had bone-deep cuts working in engine bays that rival the brutality I witnessed with this. I felt like I was looking at kelp between my toes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Vagueabond posted:

I have a question about Lamy's warranty. I have a Safari which, for whatever reason, is stuck with the cap posted and won't come undone

I've never personally had this happen but I would try putting the pen in the fridge or something for a while, then aiming a hair dryer at the cap (low heat setting, don't want to melt stuff) and see if the heat will expand the cap enough to be removed. :science:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Edison just released their cheapest pen yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HoYtllV52Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I gotta stop reading this thread because it makes me want to buy more pens and ink and nice paper and I've barely made a dent in the ink I've already bought

oh god I wanna buy another pen and another 3 years worth of ink for it and there's no 12 step program to save me from this