Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saerjin
Jun 29, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

I have a shifter made from an actual 8 ball in my RS. Heavier is betterer.

I was going to suggest this but with the cue ball. Buddy of mine did it for his probe and it turned out phenomenal and looks real nice.
Would be neat to get a marble ball or another kind of stone as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know what has me excited most about the new WRX?

The prospect of an oil filter on the top of the engine.

Just changed the oil in the '11 again tonight and I loving hate that underbody cover.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

VanNuys posted:

Out of curiosity, since I'm cross shopping a lot of cars I was looking at the years of WRX and STIs and their features. I had a question. Were the earlier (for the USA at least) models really that much better for an enthusiast? They seems to be making a big deal of the switch from cable to drive by wire and other small things on sites and posts I've seen comparing the 03/04 to the 05+

The US STis are all DBW. I can speak to STis because that is what I am familiar with. The 04-07 have some moderate to severe mechanical and electronic differences. The biggest in my opinion being the wheel hubs on the 04 STI being the only US STi with 5 X 100 every other is 5 X 114. Some gear ratio differences and differential changes throughout all 04-06s as well as front end design changes. The 07 is mechanically the same as an 08 I believe incorporating the same front, center, and rear diffs, the same dual AVCS, and the same DCCD computer and sensors. The 04 and 05 definitely had a single stage AVCS and the 04 (and 05 maybe?) lacked a steering input sensor for the DCCD. I also believe the 07 was the first to add some emissions equipment on the engine that didn't exist prior in the 06s back. Intercooler sprayer was removed on the 07 maybe too. The 04 was really the odd man out in the US. Even the interior stack was different form 05+. I would go 05 and up just for wheel choice alone. The 05 also added the key immobilizer and a pretty decent alarm with shock sensor. Over the weekend I adjusted the sensitivity with a set screw to keep the cats off my car. I believe after 06 the dealer had to adjust it with a computer. I don't think any GD had SI drive or traction control.

I really like the robust and simplified nature of the GD (04-07) series. They are like little tanks with just the right amount of electronics. All the bushings and stiff mounts in my car make it sound like a loving tank. I really can't think of anything unnecessary on the car from the factory. The 04 and 05 have pretty short ratios though. That is the one thing I am jealous of in the 06+, better ratios. The 06 STi seems to strike the best best mix of technology, simplicity, and features IMO. The 04 and 05 are pretty raw. The 04 did not come with a stereo at all! They are also not sound insulated at all. I'm an enthusiast and I love my car but I could see it being too much for a non enthusiast. It is really an involved machine to operate but if you like that kind of thing they really are impressive handling machines.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

The part number and serial number are on the turbo in the circled area.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Amandyke posted:

The part number and serial number are on the turbo in the circled area.

I made sure to look there. I can't get a direct look obviously, but I didn't see any markings at all. You can see in the picture that there isn't anything there. I also made sure to feel with my finger as well and I didn't feel anything engraved. So unless there was something printed and it wore off, that area is blank.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You could always stick a camera** in there and randomly photograph. Review your pics and you might get lucky and spot an ID plate.

Or maybe the P.O. sanded it off?:ninja:

** I mainly do this on wall-mounted flat panels to find the right inputs and may not help.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
One of the guys I autox with had his wrx stolen, along with accessport and now needs warranty work. Can I unmarry my accessport, flash him back to stock, then remarry it to my vehicle without hiccups?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

I'm curious to see what the new hatchbacks will look like--I do prefer the aesthetics of the current gen hatches versus the sedans. I'm also curious to see how the low-end torque on the 2.0L engines is going to be. I seem to recall hearing that it'll have a two-stage turbo setup?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

McSpatula posted:

One of the guys I autox with had his wrx stolen, along with accessport and now needs warranty work. Can I unmarry my accessport, flash him back to stock, then remarry it to my vehicle without hiccups?

How is he getting warranty work on a stolen car? I'm so confused.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing it was recovered, minus the AccessPort.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

McSpatula posted:

If that doesn't work, where are you located? I'm sure you could find somebody with a tactrix cable that could do it. I'm in the Detroit area with one on the random chance you're close by.

Edit: LA says the profile. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find somebody to do it.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I'm pretty sure the AP flash is encrypted so that open source types can't load the flash and give it away. I think you only have two options: buying a new Accessport, or sending the ECU to Cobb. You should call Cobb and report back though.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 27, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think you can do that with another accessport, but there is a cobb in fountain valley so worst case he would just need to bring it there.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Does anyone know of a Subaru EJ master list, that has all the specs/features of each motor for each version?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
What do you guys think about this 2000 Forester?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3707041728.html

It's got 218k miles and the head gaskets were done 5k ago with the revised gaskets, but not the STi ones. Looks pretty good to me but I don't know about $5000 for a car with so many miles.

I'll probably go look at it Sunday. Any advice on what to offer the guy? Is 5k a fair price?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I wouldn't pay more than $2,800. He's probably not going to sell it to you for that price, so don't be surprised. I'd also print out the KBB.COM price lookup results and hand it to him.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Good. headgasket, clutch, and rear wheel bearings are done. Bad. Price.

It looks like a well sorted high millage car, but you're paying for it.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys. I've sent him a message asking if it's an L or S (not that I know what the difference is anyway) and looked up the book values. 2450 for L and 29xx for the S. Daslog was right on...

I told him I'd be willing to pay more than blue book given the recent repairs, but not 5000. We'll see what he says!

I appreciate any and all other advice.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Debating picking up an 05-06 legacy gt as a commuter car, NM please tell me how many ways this is a bad idea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would hold the owner hostage until he shows me a list of very exacting oil change intervals and then remove every turbo banjo bolt and AVCS oil filter I can get my hands on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I've sent him a message asking if it's an L or S (not that I know what the difference is anyway) and looked up the book values. 2450 for L and 29xx for the S. Daslog was right on...

I told him I'd be willing to pay more than blue book given the recent repairs, but not 5000. We'll see what he says!

I appreciate any and all other advice.

It's an L, S had larger wheels and painted bumpers.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Amandyke posted:

Debating picking up an 05-06 legacy gt as a commuter car, NM please tell me how many ways this is a bad idea.

It's only a good idea if it's got 190k on it, lots of rust, and a roll cage.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

daslog posted:

It's only a good idea if it's got 190k on it, lots of rust, and a roll cage.

I live in California though, we don't have rust buckets here. :ohdear:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

The fuel economy sucks too.

Otherwise, get a wagon and be awesome.

The turbo thing is really linked to maintenance. I have full records and my PO did changes around 4k (with dino) and I did changes around 4k (with syn) and my turbo is at 120k mi+.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

In addition to NM's post about how 05 GT wagons are awful for all those reasons.

I've got some more.

The only two pictures I have of mine.

The first is the day it came home, the second was less than two weeks later us trailering it back to the dealer.

gently caress those cars.

Also, someday I'm going to own another. But I'm going to buy one with a dead motor first and replace everything.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
The correct answer is to get an 08-09.

Gas mileage still isn't great, but I have zero complaints about mine.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Yakattak posted:

Does anyone know of a Subaru EJ master list, that has all the specs/features of each motor for each version?

US versions do vary from JDM etc. cars101.com is a good resource for US info for the last two decades or so.

edit- "Subaru EJ engine" in wikipedia has a ton info too.

(((k))) fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 29, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ssjonizuka posted:

Hate to tell you this, but your pistons are even softer.
Also, your car is slower.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I owned a brand new 2008 Legacy GT Spec.B for 4 months and sold it. Worst car I've ever owned and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. No wonder it was $6k off MSRP. By comparison, my 2009 STI was amazing.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Just because I have a better turbo and better gearing than the 05-06 is no reason to get catty. ;)

And the LGT is certainly not for everyone. Sti was definitely not in the cards for me at the time, though let's see what happens in the next few years.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

ssjonizuka posted:

Looking to spend less than 10k really... Or just buy something new, like a Focus ST, or Mazdaspeed 3, or some other hot hatch...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just do what I did and buy the cheapest, rattiest NA Subaru you can find and enjoy going flat out everywhere.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My '05 LGT still works :toot:

It drives much better after jamal'ing most of the suspension. 23-25 MPG driving 30 miles over a hill every day.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just do what I did and buy the cheapest, rattiest NA Subaru you can find and enjoy going flat out everywhere.

I have to drive the kids around, but basically this with a fairly clean wagon.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Splinter posted:

My '05 LGT still works :toot:

It drives much better after jamal'ing most of the suspension. 23-25 MPG driving 30 miles over a hill every day.

Mine now works well, thanks to forged pistons.

Well, I think my PS pump is dying.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/subarus-new-wrx-in-the-fast-lane/story-fnda1bsz-1226608826226

Yep, concept pictures are now confirmed, with the full production car to debut in October

Carbon fibre roof and lots more alloy panels for no price increase sounds dubious.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Cat Terrist posted:

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/subarus-new-wrx-in-the-fast-lane/story-fnda1bsz-1226608826226

Yep, concept pictures are now confirmed, with the full production car to debut in October

Carbon fibre roof and lots more alloy panels for no price increase sounds dubious.

No more hatch :(

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh gently caress that noise!

Now there will be zero current cars in that niche.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Cat Terrist posted:

Wow I'm surprised it sounds like the wrx is getting a 6 speed. No details if its new though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

These last few posts have me worried that my 05 LGT a ticking time bomb.

- purchased last year from the Subaru dealership. Second owner. Did not have OCI history. (I did not know of these problems before purchasing it so dumb on my part.)
- bone stock except for an AVO panel filter
- banjo bolt removed after I purchased it and did the proper research. Mechanic reported that the screen was clean.
- does not burn oil. I check it every fill up and change it w/ Amsoil or Shell Rotella every 3500 miles
- 98K miles now
- clutch replaced at 90k w/ Exedy OEM, OEM WRX single mass flywheel, and TSK snout kit.

What else can I do to make it more bulletproof or should I just start saving for a new turbo?