Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'd kill just to get stuff like FFTA2 or the castlevania's on the eShop. It's so loving hard just to find a used copy that's not on ebay for £30 or a dodgy chinese company that'll just steal your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also is it just me thinking $5 for Zelda 1 but $2 for some newer but poorer selling title is a bit absurd?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also is it just me thinking $5 for Zelda 1 but $2 for some newer but poorer selling title is a bit absurd?

Even if it didn't age too well, Zelda 1 is still a classic game and has a large franchise preceding (well, succeeding in this case) it. Those $2 games are either small indie titles or complete garbage. Besides, it's just five dollars. It's not like this is iOS or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also is it just me or does the 3DS sound like it has a lot weaker speakers?

Is there a way I could hook up the audio in this to my receiver?

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
I imported Last Window from the UK and it came with a Club Nintendo code that I can't use. I don't know if these expire or not as it's an older game but if somebody can use it it's TN6ER7JFGSQ83G1R.

P.S. You guys have weird DS cases.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If your reciever has a regular input jack (or an adapter for your reciever), then you can hook it up just fine. I usually like to hook my 3DS up to this small and surprisingly good pair of Bluetooth speakers I got for a Christmas gift that has a regular audio-in port. They work really well with rhythm games like Theatrhythm or Elite Beat Agents since the speakers bring out the bass far better than the regular 3DS speakers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Use a line-in cable and just plug one end into the headphone port and the other into a stereo system/speaker's audio-in port. If you have a set of computer speakers that plugs into something, then just plug that into the headphone port.

Terraplane posted:

I imported Last Window from the UK and it came with a Club Nintendo code that I can't use. I don't know if these expire or not as it's an older game but if somebody can use it it's TN6ER7JFGSQ83G1R.

P.S. You guys have weird DS cases.

Agreed. Your cases are so thick compared to our relatively thin American cases.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Funny part is that only some cases are thick like that. Nintendo releases generally use the thinner ones, third party the fat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Use a line-in cable and just plug one end into the headphone port and the other into a stereo system/speaker's audio-in port. If you have a set of computer speakers that plugs into something, then just plug that into the headphone port.

Agreed. Your cases are so thick compared to our relatively thin American cases.

I'd need to have some sort of L/R RCA input to stereo jack input. I don't have a line-in on this old thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can probably get a minijack/stereo RCA adapter for like 50 cents on Amazon or Monoprice. I played 3D Land that way once and it was pretty cool, although slightly ridiculous.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I happen to be close to my laptop. One cool thing I've done is get a male to male audio cable from the 3DS to the input port of my computer and have my headset play back the music. Sounds a bit redundant but the headset is probably the nicest pair I have vs ear buds, and there's always the sound system if I really want to play it through there.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Only 10 uses of the Fire Emblem demo when every other game I've seen gets 30? WTF Nintendo?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Hahaha really? The NA version had 30 uses. Welp gotta screw over Europe somehow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah that's.. crap. I don't even know why there's a usage limit on the demos anyway (well, I DO but). Am I going to play the Theatrhythm demo 30 times? Probably not, but that restriction is dumb as gently caress anyway.

Anyhoo, I like FE:A, now having played the demo. I didn't really like the others I played (Stones, like ten minutes of Radiant Dawn) but this one feels good, even though I'm usually a NISA SRPG or Shining Force kinda guy. Feet clipping through the ground though what the hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The feet aren't clipping, the models all have weird little satyr stumps for some inexplicable reason.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Funny part is that only some cases are thick like that. Nintendo releases generally use the thinner ones, third party the fat.

Nah, there are only two first party EU games I can remember that used the thin cases (Brain Training and something else), probably because they had stocking issues or something but needed to get more copies out; if you look at one you'll notice the label doesn't even fit properly, the spine artwork is a bit too wide. The thicker cases are standard here because the manuals tend to be much thicker due to being in up to five languages, at least that's what a Nintendo rep said when we asked back when I still worked at Gamestop. Also, if anyone in Europe still hasn't figured out what the different colored triangles on the 3DS, DS, Wii and Wii U boxes mean: They stand for the release region of the game. Purple is Germany, green is UK, light green is Scandinavia etc.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 29, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

BadAstronaut posted:

Only 10 uses of the Fire Emblem demo when every other game I've seen gets 30? WTF Nintendo?

In NA HarmoKnight has 10 uses, that Sonic Kart racing game had 15, and I think there was one other that had 10.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

BadAstronaut posted:

I downloaded the Sonic Racing demo with no intention of ever buying the 3DS version just so I'd have another thing to play. Demos that can be played in this way are more likely to be limited in uses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Nah, that are only two first party EU games I can remember that used the thin cases (Brain Training and something else), probably because they had stocking issues or something but needed to get more copies out; if you look at one you'll notice the label doesn't even fit properly, the spine artwork is a bit too wide. The thicker cases are standard here because the manuals tend to be much thicker due to being in up to five languages, at least that's what a Nintendo rep said when we asked back when I still worked at Gamestop. Also, if anyone in Europe still hasn't figured out what the different colored triangles on the 3DS, DS, Wii and Wii U boxes mean: They stand for the release region of the game. Purple is Germany, green is UK, light green is Scandinavia etc.

Maybe Australia is different then, because pretty much all the first party games here use thin cases, and the labels fit as normal. Majority of my DS games are in storage, but I have an AU Pokemon Black 2 here that's thin-cased.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Yea it must be Australia then; didn't know that, do your first party games come with five-language manuals as well?

There is literally no argument for limited demo uses by the way, they're a "gently caress you" to the player and nothing else.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Prima announces a US strategy guide for Animal Crossing: New Leaf

It was going so well until it mentioned that it would be a mini-book size :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Yea it must be Australia then; didn't know that, do your first party games come with five-language manuals as well?

No, at least not for Pokemon. The manual does have the "-AUS" descriptor at the end of its item code. The ROMs on the carts are (usually) the general EU one, though, so I dunno.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

pandaK posted:

Prima announces a US strategy guide for Animal Crossing: New Leaf

It was going so well until it mentioned that it would be a mini-book size :negative:
Isn't the Japanese game bible for the game not full A4 size anyways?

At 512 pages, I don't really see the problem.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, at least not for Pokemon. The manual does have the "-AUS" descriptor at the end of its item code. The ROMs on the carts are (usually) the general EU one, though, so I dunno.

Well Pokémon is the exception anyways because the games are monolingual (same as the Layton games) so their manuals are only in one language as well. Funny anecdote, I imported Pokémon Platinum from Canada way back and the box was literally about to burst because they stuffed it with an English and a French manual and the US boxes are too thin to handle that. :v:

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Something interesting I noticed, my Australian Kid Icarus cart has the -AUS tag on the cart but my AU Monster Hunter 3 cart has the -EUR tag. It tells me that sometimes we just straight up get the European version of games and sometimes we don't. It's inconsistent.

Katana Gomai posted:

Also, if anyone in Europe still hasn't figured out what the different colored triangles on the 3DS, DS, Wii and Wii U boxes mean: They stand for the release region of the game. Purple is Germany, green is UK, light green is Scandinavia etc.

My Tales of the Abyss case has the purple triangle yet the back of box has English and French languages. The cart has the -UKV tag.

All of my Europe imports have the green triangle except for Tales. The Australian cases have no triangles at all.

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They sometimes give us the NA localisation but printed on a PAL-region cart, too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

jtm33 posted:

My Tales of the Abyss case has the purple triangle yet the back of box has English and French languages. The cart has the -UKV tag.

All of my Europe imports have the green triangle except for Tales. The Australian cases have no triangles at all.

You're talking about light purple, which is default Multi-5 (in this case, manual only), I'm talking about the dark purple/blue, which is Germany. Regardless, Tales of the Abyss never got localized in any language other than English so "our" German version only has a different box but the cart is the same.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Basically Nintendo are still insane and hard to follow when it comes to Europe.

Still, at least it was NOE who gave us Xenoblade/TLS/PT.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Pilotwings is on sale for five bucks at Canadian EBs. I'd say it's worth it. It's also worth a full 40 Club Nintendo points :toot:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

People keep mentioning FFTA2. I bought it way back, but never wound up playing it. How is it? I've been on the fence about picking up Fire Emblem, but only because I have FFTA2 and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars sitting in my backlog.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
To all eurogoons waiting for Cave Story. Some news at last.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

turnways posted:

People keep mentioning FFTA2. I bought it way back, but never wound up playing it. How is it? I've been on the fence about picking up Fire Emblem, but only because I have FFTA2 and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars sitting in my backlog.

I think FFTA2 is the better game over Fire Emblem simply because it has an absolutely staggering amount of content compared to Fire Emblem and the job switching system is just better in FFTA2.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

turnways posted:

I loved the poo poo out of it. It's a vast, vast improvement over FFTA. It's lighthearted and fun, and has tons of content. It's one of my favorite DS games. You can't go wrong with it, really.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
FFTA2 may be my single greatest regret when it comes to selling/trading games. At one point I needed money for a car repair and I needed it faster than my next paycheck would arrive, so I traded in pretty much every game I could bear to part with to get some quick cash. I think I chose poorly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I preferred FFTA to FFTA2, but that's just me. FFTA2 improve in a lot of things, but I really prefer the first one far more. Both are pretty great though.

Fire Emblem is a different series altogether, and not entirely comparable. I play the two for very different reasons.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
There are a lot of things in FFTA and similar games that don't apply to Fire Emblem, so you end up, er, unlearning a lot of stuff that you would generally do in a standard SRPG. Despite being the same genre, they have very different approaches to gameplay. Also, FE has a much quicker game flow. I dunno but the last time I picked up my copy of FFTA2, I was bored out of my mind by how long battles were taking.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh I loving saved in combat in FEA and now I can't loving do anything. They keep beelining for my dude and killing him resulting in a game over.

How do I restart a chapter? Or do I have to restart from the beginning entirely? Cause this is bullshit.

Why can't I take back placements? Other SRPGs let me do this.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ugh I loving saved in combat in FEA and now I can't loving do anything. They keep beelining for my dude and killing him resulting in a game over.

How do I restart a chapter? Or do I have to restart from the beginning entirely? Cause this is bullshit.

May want to post in the FE thread but you just bookmarked in battle; reboot the game (L + R + Start) and it should remove the bookmark and boot you to the beginning of the chapter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

From the load screen, hit L or R to switch between main saves and battle saves, as indicated at the top of the screen. Or just use the touchscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dehry posted:

E: I'm not trying to equate homebrew and importing with piracy, but most of the people vocally wanting hax (and spreading "news" about them) right now are kids wanting to play commercial games.

Oh I know. I was just holding on to a slight glimmer of hope that I might've be able to try coding on the thing or bypass the retarded EU publishing system and get my hands on some of the titles I otherwise never will, but you're right. It really is a pipe dream. It didn't happen on the DSi, it's probably not going to happen here.

• Locked thread