Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
'Uncle Vernon' and 'Withnail' are trending on Twitter with 'RIP Richard Griffiths', so you're not alone. Didn't see Pie In The Sky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh poo poo, yeah, forgot about Pie in the Sky.

Christ, he was only 65 :(

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I could only stand to watch 10 minutes

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Well, gently caress. After that, I'm gonna have to try and watch it. I like me a good train-wreck.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
He shall never play The Dane :(

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Last nights Horizon was really interesting; looking at our senses of taste and smell. Narrated by Moriarty.

I'm noticing more and more that there seems to be a definite gulf in quality between the Horizons which are fronted by TrendyScientistTM and those that are simply narrated along with interviews with real researchers, with the later being much better. Fantastic cinematography all around though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tincans posted:

I only saw the last 10 minutes and wish I had seen all of it now.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Tincans posted:

I assumed it was just some re-hash of a similarly themed show where they send them to some sex clinic in holland or something?

This sounds much more interesting now, sound effects? What was so bad about it?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The 45 year old virgin shags his 68 year old sex therapist on camera at the end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Leyburn posted:

The 45 year old virgin shags his 68 year old sex therapist on camera at the end.

Too much trainwreck.

I'm out.

:stare:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This seems very familiar. Is there a Louie Theroux episode on the same kind of subject?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Leyburn posted:

That sounds far far more psychologically damaging than carrying on as is and being a virgin at 46.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Leyburn posted:

Surely that's against some kind of therapist code of conduct or something?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Aye me and my flat mate were screaming at the TV for him not to go through with it, and do what the Irish girl did and just jump on the next plane home. Unfortunately we had to witness his eyes rolling into the back of his head as she, 'helped him' put the condom on with her mouth and then we got to a close up on his curled up toes as she was atop him.

The poor guy. He seemed so nice too.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Junkenstein posted:

This seems very familiar. Is there a Louie Theroux episode on the same kind of subject?

Must have been a repeat, I've definitely seen a programme with the same thing years ago.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nah, it's the classic story of losing your virginity in your 40s. Go to a house party, drink too much cider, have sex with a 68 year old woman whilst a camera crew films the whole thing.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I watched a couple of episodes of Plebs the other night mostly because I was too high to change the channel on the TV set. It's actually pretty okay for something showing on ITV2. It was pretty much Inbetweeners in Carry on Cleo. I watched the whole thing having instantly decided upon seeing Joel Fry that he must be Robert Webb's younger brother. I've just found out they're not related. That's hosed up. He looks just like him and their voices and accents are almost identical.

loving uncanny.

Actually, looking at pictures of Joel Fry I think he might be a bit black. I thought he was wearing a wig and had been blacked up a bit for the show. They do that kind of thing on ITV :\

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2013

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Are you high right now? This is not a test.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Akuma posted:

Are you high right now? This is not a test.

No. I have had a Beechams and a Lemsip though. I bought two brands for variety, but Beechams really is far superior.

Another night when I could really do with something decent to ogle at on my wazzock lantern. Not happening. An hour of YouTube clips on Channel 4; Matt Lucas talking to Richard Bacon and two other gobshites on BBC1; BBC3 still just repeating 1999 Family Guy 10 years later. There's a 17 year old Father Ted repeat on in 40 minutes. I suppose that's something to look forward to :geno:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-signs-hilary-devey

Hilary Devey is to be the star of yet another TV business-themed pantomime. From what I've seen, it looks like some mad Fairy Jobmother/Beadle's About hybrid. A fitting show for the time. Paid work is now so hard to come by that we're prepared to be tortured for the chance of getting an internship working in a loving hotel.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
You should watch Trollied. Youd love it.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Taff posted:

You should watch Trollied. Youd love it.

Really? I assumed it was shite. Can't remember why.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

twoot posted:

Last nights Horizon was really interesting; looking at our senses of taste and smell. Narrated by Moriarty.

I'm noticing more and more that there seems to be a definite gulf in quality between the Horizons which are fronted by TrendyScientistTM and those that are simply narrated along with interviews with real researchers, with the later being much better. Fantastic cinematography all around though.

I tend to find the ones dealing with something that sounds mundane, like our senses, to be much more interesting than when they go for grand science about the Big Bang or the LHC. I think it's because the grander ones seem to spend 45 minutes explaining how big/old the universe before cramming the interesting cutting-edge stuff into the final quarter.

They obviously know their audience better than I do, but I imagine anyone settling down to watch an hour-long documentary on the search for the Higgs boson probably doesn't need a 30-minute refresher on what an atom is before getting to the meaty parts.

The episodes dealing with more down-to-earth science tend to get interesting more quickly since they skip a lot of the preamble.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I always find the problem when they do the 'grandiose' ones is that they don't trust the viewer with any more than a superficial level of coverage so they end up using repetition to stretch fifthteen minutes of content to fill the hour. And ten of those minutes are the same as every other programme that has done the subject previously.

With the mundane subjects, it's more likely I know less detail on the subject anyway, plus it ends up being easier for them to find television-friendly experiments.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Junkenstein posted:

There was a documentary a few years ago called Virgin School where a late 20s guy met a sex therapist and ended up doing the business with her, it was a very similar show. Both channel 4, bit of a rehash but I suppose this one had an older guy and a girl as well so it wasn't totally the same

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
If they could get away with it they'd just round up a bunch of comically awkward social misfits and lock them in hotel rooms with hookers and a stash of coke, then film the result and market it as a groundbreaking social experiment.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
The lifes too short special is surprisingly quite funny. The interplay between Les Dennis, Cheggers and Barry from Eastenders works really well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Doctor Chin posted:

If they could get away with it they'd just round up a bunch of comically awkward social misfits and lock them in hotel rooms with hookers and a stash of coke, then film the result and market it as a groundbreaking social experiment.

Human Indignity, coming this June!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Human Indignity, coming this June!

Oh, it's already there. And has been there for years.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VogeGandire posted:

Oh, it's already there. And has been there for years.

The gimmick this time, In 3D High Definition then!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Doctor Chin posted:

And I would watch the gently caress out of it

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Paperhouse posted:

And I would watch the gently caress out of it

How very narcissitic.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Doctor Chin posted:

You only have to change a couple of words to get the pitch for Big Brother.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
twoot posted this in the UKMT

Yessssss.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

onoflalks posted:

twoot posted this in the UKMT

Yessssss.

Oh poo poo yes.

Time for absolute anarchy.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I saw Brown Moses ~ON TELLY~ last night! Paraic O'Brien was at his house interviewing him about his blog on Syria and the work he's doing, unpaid, for hours every day analyzing footage from there to track movements of weapons among the different groups. Good for you, Brown Moses. Really does make one think even less of all those lazy cretins employed as journalists who spend their days trawling facebook and celebrities' bins for gossip and naked pictures.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

sex pervert posted:

I saw Brown Moses ~ON TELLY~ last night! Paraic O'Brien was at his house interviewing him about his blog on Syria and the work he's doing, unpaid, for hours every day analyzing footage from there to track movements of weapons among the different groups. Good for you, Brown Moses. Really does make one think even less of all those lazy cretins employed as journalists who spend their days trawling facebook and celebrities' bins for gossip and naked pictures.

Here's the report, which was actually the first of 5 TV interviews I've filmed in the past week. I've also done Dutch NOS TV and CNN (with great comments on the article), as well as German ARD TV and a Croatian channel, both of which haven't aired. I've also done loads of radio stuff as well, and I've got more interview requests for next week, and probably even more once Tuesday comes around and everyone is back to work.

I've had a real crazy weekend as well, I was about to accept a job on Friday that meant quitting my blog, but then someone offered me £5000 to keep doing it, so now I'm starting a fund-raiser. If anyone has ideas or suggestions for it I've posted about it here.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

In The Flesh just loving broke my heart. God almighty. I mean it was beautifully written and shot, the lead actor was extraordinary and the layers of subtext and metaphor were delicately handled...but it still broke my heart. :(

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Irisi posted:

In The Flesh just loving broke my heart. God almighty. I mean it was beautifully written and shot, the lead actor was extraordinary and the layers of subtext and metaphor were delicately handled...but it still broke my heart. :(

Yeah, overall I really loved that miniseries. They may have piled it on just a little too much at the end there, but there were some really terrific moments. I got misty-eyed at that moment with Ric looking in the mirror.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
From this video with the creator of In The Flesh (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0170bkk) it really does sound like they're going to do another series ("we'll get to that"), which would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There isn't really a good place to post this, so I'll just stick it here.

I just finished Season 3 of The Killing, after a break of a couple of months from Season 2 (for University reasons) and... it was very good until the last episode.
Even that was good until the last 10 minutes. Honestly, I think the writer took the easy way out; I genuinely don't buy 2 characters' motivations Lund and Kristian and I'm only about 50:50 with the other main character Zeuthen.

We see Lund starting to believe that she can be happy with her life, but she gives it all up for what? Are we supposed to believe that this is the first case she's been unable to close in her entire career so much so that she's willing to kill to sort it out? Bullshit.

Also, from what we see of Kristian, he's a bit of a crusader who places as high a premium on loyalty as he does on morality. We see him get increasingly worked up about the scenario surrounding his son's death and then he finds out it was precipitated by Mogens and the Special Branch shitweasel and he... let's it go? Complete bullshit. You've won the election; you can fire those shitheads in the morning and no-one would even blink - you already fired your Treasurer for a fuckload less than that before the election, so let's not even get into that, given that the Special Branch guy lies to you on, what? at least 3 occasions, specifically related to that case - Mogens at least the same amount.

I hate stories that end badly simply because the writer thinks that's the most profound way to end them. Consistency of character makes these things work. Even the loving Wallander TV series ended up with him jacking it all in for a better life because 'gently caress what the job does to you'