Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LesterGroans posted:

Mark Wahlberg being Mark Wahlberg and Denzel being Denzel?

I'm sold on it.

That trailer is 3 loving minutes. Holy poo poo.

Anyway I quit 1:45. I was sold enough to want to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it looks solid. They seem to have chemistry

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

I'm sold on it.

That looks ridiculously fun.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

LesterGroans posted:

I'm sold on it.

It looks good... not great. It just had this generic vibe to it. Anything to get Paula Patton more work though.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

Anything to get Paula Patton more work though.

Yup. I felt it showed a lot though, don't know if that's a good sign.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot drat, if you gave me a description of 2 Guns it would not be something I'd care to see, but I was sold after a little over a minute of that trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Hot drat, if you gave me a description of 2 Guns it would not be something I'd care to see, but I was sold after a little over a minute of that trailer.

I was sold the second EJO shows up.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I'm sold on it.

1080p version here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNe3RK2fgI

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Looks great, wish it didnt show so much though

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Looks great, wish it didnt show so much though

I get the feeling they probably figured a lot of people would think a shorter trailer would make it look too generic and skip it. It does look pretty great, but there is no denying that the trailer is riding right on that fine line of looking like a generic crime thriller.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Ror posted:

Pretty much everyone hates white-collar criminals, because they live nicer lives and catch way less flak than other criminals. There's a solid chunk of America that doesn't view some of the shady-as-gently caress business as crime at all, but in a movie where you can easily establish that this rich guy is a piece of poo poo the crowd will gladly side with the underdog pieces of poo poo.

At least that's the theory. I thought the plot sounded like a pretty standard dark comedy, though knowing it's actually based on true story seems a tad grim to me. Seems like they could have kept that detail quiet and the movie wouldn't have suffered for it. But based on the general lack of notoriety these guys have (or more importantly that it is a dumb Michael Bay film that shall never be taken seriously), I'm not sure it will matter.

It's not based on a true story.

It is a true story.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Real-life spoilers, subject to change in the film: Schiller stole 14 million dollars from Medicare patients. He definitely does not deserve sympathy. Schiller's a piece of poo poo, Lugo and pals are just terrible idiots.

So he doesn't deserve sympathy for being extorted, tortured and nearly murdered, because he also committed a crime? C'mon...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DNS posted:

So he doesn't deserve sympathy for being extorted, tortured and nearly murdered, because he also committed a crime? C'mon...

Do you know about schadenfreude? It's the feeling of satisfaction you get when bad poo poo happens to people you don't like. In the case of Pain & Gain, specifically the extortion and torture of Schiller, every involved person is a horrible fucker. If there was ever a real-life torture and attempted murder to make light of, this is the one.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

feedmyleg posted:

Yup, me too.
Denzel's goatee sold me on it. Movie looks like a lot of fun too.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Do you know about schadenfreude? It's the feeling of satisfaction you get when bad poo poo happens to people you don't like. In the case of Pain & Gain, specifically the extortion and torture of Schiller, every involved person is a horrible fucker. If there was ever a real-life torture and attempted murder to make light of, this is the one.

Well, suit yourself.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

God drat this looks awesome.

Also, Bill Paxton actually in a movie that looks good, holy hell.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

GonSmithe posted:

God drat this looks awesome.

Also, Bill Paxton actually in a movie that looks good, holy hell.

Game over man, GAME OVER!!

Oh god that was almost 30 years ago. :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ror posted:

Game over man, GAME OVER!!

Oh god that was almost 30 years ago. :negative:

And True Lies, Tombstone and Apollo 13 were almost 20. Frailty was more recent. To be fair, though, Paxton has been working on Big Love for the last five years and hasn't made many movies of any quality.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jedit posted:

And True Lies, Tombstone and Apollo 13 were almost 20. Frailty was more recent. To be fair, though, Paxton has been working on Big Love for the last five years and hasn't made many movies of any quality.

He was great in Haywire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Paxton was absolutely fantastic on Big Love, it made me appreciate his acting a lot better.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Barf Wight posted:

So either this or Fast and Furious 6 (probably Fast & Furious), The Rock is going to be in the best movie this year. I can't wait.

But, The Rock isn't in Pacific Rim :confused:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So uh movie trailers right.

Does anyone have any notable examples of trailers that got them thinking that movie was gonna be way better than it actually ended up being? Terminator: Salvation was awful (except that the story of its making is pretty much my favorite Terminator story), but this trailer really got me excited for it. Anyone got similar "This is gonna be awesome"/"This turned out to be awful" experiences from trailers?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Jonny Angel posted:

Does anyone have any notable examples of trailers that got them thinking that movie was gonna be way better than it actually ended up being? Terminator: Salvation was awful (except that the story of its making is pretty much my favorite Terminator story), but this trailer really got me excited for it. Anyone got similar "This is gonna be awesome"/"This turned out to be awful" experiences from trailers?

Oh yeah I sure do.

This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdOGJi5Sne4

loving Skyline.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Jonny Angel posted:

Looking back at it now, knowing the wider context, it looks poo poo but drat the first Episode 1 trailer got me super excited at the time.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jonny Angel posted:

Ravenous for me. Looked like a fun black action/comedy, instead it was a slow, depressing snore fest.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pineapple Express. TBF, the movie is fairly entertaining, if uneven, but the red band trailer is just so perfect that the movie can't live up to it.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
The 300 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0F3P2XYGY

I'd rather watch that 20-30 times in a row than watch the movie. The movie is totally superfluous to the trailer. People always say "well now i've seen the whole movie" after revealing trailers but 300 is the only time it's not just exaggeration. With the other movies, the experience at least changes somehow after seeing it. You've actually seen a significantly better version that doesn't use 90 minutes of your time after watching that trailer.

cp91886 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 1, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So yeah, this looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24fo2W5EaE

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man that looks almost as good as Pineapple Express 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW67OiY7xVw

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man that looks almost as good as Pineapple Express 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW67OiY7xVw

Haha this owns. Watch this after you watch the trailer in the post before the post I'm quoting in this post.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Watching that trailer I really can't help but think that THAT is the kind of tone/movie The Watch was aiming for... except this looks really good.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Michael Cera is perfect in this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DNS posted:

To be fair, this is pretty much the exact line of reasoning that the real-life Lugo used to convince everyone that it was okay to do what they did.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
I'm worried that This is the end won't be as fun as the trailers make it look. Am I crazy?

Kloaked00 posted:

They could put The Rock in a costume and save some money on robot effects.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kloaked00 posted:

What if The Rock was just the super secret final boss kaiju? Would that make Pacific Rim the best movie of 2013 or best movie ever?

Jonny Angel posted:

Does anyone have any notable examples of trailers that got them thinking that movie was gonna be way better than it actually ended up being?

Battlefield: LA's trailer made it look way better than it could ever be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9otTzrO9Bfw

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAeVosG4zI

Intense.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ugh. God I don't even care if it's good. Gosling + Ultraviolence + Great Cinematography is enough for me.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Ugh. God I don't even care if it's good. Gosling + Ultraviolence + Great Cinematography is enough for me.

For a moment it sounded like you didn't like it. But yes, it looks quite good.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Think that trailer is the final straw for me in terms of checking out the Pusher trilogy. This movie looks absolutely terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Carrie remake trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoVioPv0fs

• Locked thread