Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a good solution to making a second bedroom work as both a guest bedroom and an office? We only need it to be a bedroom about a week each year. Currently we have an old full-size futon which is OK but not really very nice to sleep on, or very nice as a couch.

Sleeper sofa. My parents had a sleeper sofa when I was a little kid, and it was awful to sleep on, with metal springs poking you, and this hard bar in the middle that you could feel.

But the new ones, the QUALITY new ones anyway, are another thing entirely. They are much more comfortable, and some of them are even memory foam, or memory foam topped. Stores in NYC sell really nice ones, since a lot of people buy them as their primary bed, but I'm sure you can find some decent ones in regular stores as well. The ones really worth buying that I saw in NYC were in the $1400-2000 dollar range though.

Another cheaper option is just to buy a good inflatable air mattress ($80-150), and a cheap memory foam topper ($40-80) to go on top. (If you get a queen air mattress, you should get a double bed foam topper, because the air mattresses are never as large as they claim.) Then you can just put it all away for most of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You could also get a daybed. Wayfair.com has some. Ikea does too but not many.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We have this issue, and ended up buying a sleeper sofa from a discount furniture store (Bobs). The sofa is fine, and the foldout bed is very useable - we got their memory-foam imitation, because a sleeper spring mattress is terrible. It was something like $500, which is pretty reasonable.

You can get a air mattress, but any one worth using is going to cost you $70+ and is far from immune to leaking or breaking - and you won't find out until you're trying to use it. I have to replace an air mattress a couple times, and I'm halfway to that sleeper. Not worth it, especially if you have people visiting with any regularity.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This bobs??? They have an not-great rating from the Better business Bureau.

Anecdote: My friend got a Bob-O-Pedic and got timely delivery and installation. They also bought a chair from Bob's and it took a whole year of harrassing their customer service for it to be delivered.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, that one. I've bought stuff from them several times and haven't had an issue with the products. I mean, it's not amazing, but if you're buying discount furniture you should expect that. I feel like you get pretty good value for the price most of the time. Their delivery service can be total poo poo, though, I fully agree with that and sometimes you have to be pretty aggressive with the delivery wing to get things done (although the actual delivery guys have always been super-cool and helpful).

I'm not specifically recommending Bobs, I just think that you're better off buying a cheap sleeper instead of an air mattress (which will probably break) or a really cheap futon/foldout (which will probably be uncomfortable as poo poo). You can buy one wherever you want - the main reason that we buy stuff from Bobs is that they're the only discount furniture store close enough to get to so that we can actually look at the furniture and test it - I'm not really comfortable just buying stuff off IKEA or Overstock or whatever without having the chance to see it in person. Obviously that's not an issue for many people.

Also I don't really put much stock in the BBB, it's a voluntary participation org that is incentivized to punish businesses that don't want to pay them - Bob's isn't 'accredited', meaning that they're not paying BBB protection money. I don't disagree that Bob's has a bunch of problems because hey, you get what you pay for, but I'm not bothered by a BBB rating.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I never knew how the BBB worked, so I'll take it with a grain of salt from now on. That said, If Bob's commercials didn't annoy the poo poo out of me I'd probably shop there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For furniture, I've had good luck with Home Decorator's Collection. Most of the furniture has to be assembled by you, but it's sturdily built and goes together easily. I think it's pretty good value for the money.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I never knew how the BBB worked, so I'll take it with a grain of salt from now on. That said, If Bob's commercials didn't annoy the poo poo out of me I'd probably shop there.

If you avoid furniture stores based on annoying commercials you can only shop at Ikea basically.

I still haven't heard back on my application :mad: I sent it in Monday night; is it too early to follow up?

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

and I often do!

I also try to go to local places that don't have commercials. Its less about the lack of commercials and more because they have some ok deals. I also like to support small businesses when I can.

The BBB rating and anecdote from a friend was off-putting, but I almost definitely prejudged Bobs because of their commercials. I should probably suck it up and go there when I move again.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If you avoid furniture stores based on annoying commercials you can only shop at Ikea basically.

I still haven't heard back on my application :mad: I sent it in Monday night; is it too early to follow up?

No, I think it's appropriate to call back. It probably wouldn't hurt to call Monday, but I'm sure it will help your mental health a lot to not worry about it over the weekend.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You should think of the BBB as like, Yelp for old people. More or less. The issue with the BBB is partly that people have the impression they are some sort of official organization that has real standing to judge businesses, like health inspectors or something. The reality is that it's a voluntary org, and what rating they get is more like an AAA rating or one from Zagat than anything else (although I would trust AAA ratings more).

I think that it's worth looking at a place like Bobs just so that you know what is out there and what your options are like. There are things that I would definitely get at IKEA or a local store (Bobs wants way too much for a regular lounge chair, for instance) but they do have some good deals. Mostly we end up going with them because the IKEA is 45 minutes outside of town, and we don't have a car. So unless it's something we feel comfortable buying without trying, options are limited.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Getting a new apt with an old friend and trying to figure out the rent split. It's 2b/2ba and I'm taking the master bed (~15% larger) with attached master bath (shower only) and walk-in closet. He's going to take the smaller bed, hall bath (w/ tub). I was thinking 60/40. The place is cheap enough tha that either of us could afford it on our own and we've been friends for at least a decade so I'm just trying to keep it fair.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Personally, I think the fairest way to do this is by square footage. So you measure out all the rooms/spaces, and then work out how they are being divided - so the living, for instance, is split 50/50, while your bedroom is 100 yours. Then you add up how much footage each person is getting, and apply that ratio to the rent payment. On the one hand it's a little bit OCD, but it's also nice to be using that is pretty objective and rational for your division. The only thing I would point out in your current division is that 'his' bathroom is probably going to be the guest bathroom as well (because it's in the all and doesn't require going through someone's room) and so that might need to be accounted for - unless you guys feel like having a tub makes up for that.

The actual answer here is 'Whatever makes both people equally happy', so if you are both good with a 60/40 split, then that's great.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toshimo posted:

Getting a new apt with an old friend and trying to figure out the rent split. It's 2b/2ba and I'm taking the master bed (~15% larger) with attached master bath (shower only) and walk-in closet. He's going to take the smaller bed, hall bath (w/ tub). I was thinking 60/40. The place is cheap enough tha that either of us could afford it on our own and we've been friends for at least a decade so I'm just trying to keep it fair.

I've been in a situation like that twice. One time the guy with the bigger bedroom paid a little extra, like 55/45. The other time the guy with the bigger bedroom was the one who got to deal with all the bills and landlord stuff. Both solutions worked fine.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm changing jobs in a couple months but I don't yet know where I'm moving to. The likely destination is to move to the town where my GF lives, meaning we'd move in together into a larger apartment than where she currently lives. Earlier today she asked me if she should renew her current lease or not, and I told her to do so just in case the job offer I have near her falls through and I need to live elsewhere. She counters that, claiming that the apartment can't kick her out even after her lease expires, so long as she continues to make rent (not an issue).

Does that...sound completely illogical to anyone else? :psyduck: I mean I guess the bottom line for her leasing office is to have someone be paying for that space, but what's the point of having a lease at all if you can just let it run out and get to keep your place without a contract? She seemed adamant about being correct, even claiming that a place she lived in a couple years ago let her do that (I can't recall what happened there, TBH)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

C-Euro posted:

Does that...sound completely illogical to anyone else? :psyduck: I mean I guess the bottom line for her leasing office is to have someone be paying for that space, but what's the point of having a lease at all if you can just let it run out and get to keep your place without a contract? She seemed adamant about being correct, even claiming that a place she lived in a couple years ago let her do that (I can't recall what happened there, TBH)

It keeps your rent from going up for the duration of lease.

edit: A couple places I've lived in automatically keep charging you rent after your lease expires unless you notify them you'll be moving out.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

C-Euro posted:

I'm changing jobs in a couple months but I don't yet know where I'm moving to. The likely destination is to move to the town where my GF lives, meaning we'd move in together into a larger apartment than where she currently lives. Earlier today she asked me if she should renew her current lease or not, and I told her to do so just in case the job offer I have near her falls through and I need to live elsewhere. She counters that, claiming that the apartment can't kick her out even after her lease expires, so long as she continues to make rent (not an issue).

We did a month-to-month with our last place when the lease ran out for almost a year, actually. It varies from place to place, though, so she might want to double check they'll let her do a month-to-month situation. In addition, some places will let you do a month-to-month, but they'll do something like charge a fee on top of the normal rent. A lease locks down a total monthly rent so they have to charge you x amount, but she'd have to break that lease if things work out and you two want to live together in a bigger place (obviously), which could also end up costing a fair chunk of change. So, I guess call the landlord/leasing office, find out if she can do a month-to-month, find out if they'd charge an extra fee or anything if they will allow it, and then see what option makes the most sense, financial or otherwise.

Edit: I also believe she *can* be kicked out if she doesn't have a lease, and she hasn't talked to anyone about it. A lease not only locks down a price--it also guarantees you have the place, and the landlord won't rent it to anyone else. Granted, if someone is paying rent consistently and on time, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to kick them out, but the option is still there.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 31, 2013

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm moving out of my parents' house this September to move closer to school (I'll be transferring to a new university and I'll be going 5 days a week, so being close to campus will be nice.) The university has really crappy parking, so I opted for a place that's across from campus. The apartment's nice, and not too tiny for $485/mo with gas/heat/water included (the heat being my main concern, living in Michigan.)

The location's really nice too. The apartment gets lots of natural sunlight, is next door to a bookstore, a few doors down from a bar or two, and a coffee shop/late night cookie delivery service. It's a second floor apartment, too, so I don't have to worry too much about random drunkards knocking on my windows or poo poo.

My main question is, it being a studio apartment, I'm not sure what to do about bedding. I'd really rather not have a bed out all the time, as it'd really clog up the floorspace. Essentially, what I do plan on having out at all times in the living area of the apartment are my guitar/amp, my turntable/speakers (which are kinda big), my television (probably have this mounted above the stereo system), and my desk/bookcase. Oh, and a couch, but more on that in a moment. I know it's a lot to fit into a studio, but my parents are moving cross country (to Florida) around the same time.

Anyways, for bedding, I was considering either a futon so that it could double as a couch, or just getting a couch from my parents' house (they're nice, don't have bedbugs, and most importantly, free) and getting a nice queen-sized shikibuton and a wool mattress topper. The apartment has two closets connected to the living area, so I'd be able to designate one of those as my "bed closet" and just throw all of the bedding stuff in there every morning, and use the other for clothes.

Anyways, is this a horrible idea? Will I just pass out on my couch every night? Will I get laid if I don't have an actual bed? Will my mattress end up smelling funky?

This is a not really quite to scale idea of how the apartment looks:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Basic Beater posted:

I'm moving out of my parents' house this September to move closer to school (I'll be transferring to a new university and I'll be going 5 days a week, so being close to campus will be nice.) The university has really crappy parking, so I opted for a place that's across from campus. The apartment's nice, and not too tiny for $485/mo with gas/heat/water included (the heat being my main concern, living in Michigan.)

God gently caress the San Francisco Bay Area.

But to kind of answer your question: get a bitchin' futon. They've really improved over the years and can be perfectly suitable for a really small space.

Senf fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 31, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Basic Beater posted:

My main question is, it being a studio apartment, I'm not sure what to do about bedding. I'd really rather not have a bed out all the time, as it'd really clog up the floorspace. Essentially, what I do plan on having out at all times in the living area of the apartment are my guitar/amp, my turntable/speakers (which are kinda big), my television (probably have this mounted above the stereo system), and my desk/bookcase. Oh, and a couch, but more on that in a moment. I know it's a lot to fit into a studio, but my parents are moving cross country (to Florida) around the same time.

People were talking about a similar ish problem starting on the previous page. I'd say futon or sleeper couch is the way to go, but it's hard to make that not lame. I said "daybed" for the last one and I guess I agree with myself, although it's weird to have people sit on your bed to watch TV or something, too...

Blast Fantasto posted:

No, I think it's appropriate to call back. It probably wouldn't hurt to call Monday, but I'm sure it will help your mental health a lot to not worry about it over the weekend.

She said email is the best way to get in touch and it's an owner-occupied type thing so different from a big complex with an office. I sent an email on Friday. Nothing in response yet :mad: I guess it's been a holiday.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 31, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The best solution is actually a Murphy bed, but most of then require special installation that is difficult or impossible on a rental. But they're cool!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Not to mention they're generally expensive as heck. But yeah, I'm looking for a more everyday use sort of thing, so I'm not sure if I want to shell out enough for a decent sleeper sofa, and the idea of people sitting where I sleep to watch movies/hang out is kind of weird to me.

Given that,I think the Shikibuton/mattress topper might be my best idea unless someone can outright say "that is a terrible idea." I realize that in my situation, I'm sort of choosing amongst multiple not-the-best options.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Beater posted:

Not to mention they're generally expensive as heck. But yeah, I'm looking for a more everyday use sort of thing, so I'm not sure if I want to shell out enough for a decent sleeper sofa, and the idea of people sitting where I sleep to watch movies/hang out is kind of weird to me.

Given that,I think the Shikibuton/mattress topper might be my best idea unless someone can outright say "that is a terrible idea." I realize that in my situation, I'm sort of choosing amongst multiple not-the-best options.

Assuming you properly care for it and get a decent one and aren't a slovenly goony-goon about it, it's not a terrible idea.

If it lays on your floor all the time and gets covered with clothes and soaked with sweat and smells like rear end and gets all matted down and gross, that's different. But one that you put away every morning and lay out every night and frequently rotate and air out and aren't a creepy japanophile about wouldn't be the worst thing.

Just don't be like the goon who slept on a loving filthy mattress on the floor with sheets that had literally never been washed.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Maybe I lived in a really big studio, but I had both a bed and a love seat in mine. I shoved the bed in the corner by the bathroom and the love seat with its back to the kitchen area. This was my floor plan. http://www.thegardenquarter.com/gqfloorplans.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bitchymcjones posted:

Maybe I lived in a really big studio, but I had both a bed and a love seat in mine. I shoved the bed in the corner by the bathroom and the love seat with its back to the kitchen area. This was my floor plan. http://www.thegardenquarter.com/gqfloorplans.html

Yeah, that's kind of a weird studio. I guess they call it a studio because the "bedroom" doesn't have a door?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That, and you have to pass through the 'bedroom' to get to the bathroom. It's definltely more of a hybrid layout than I think of when someone says 'studio'.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Eggplant Wizard posted:

She said email is the best way to get in touch and it's an owner-occupied type thing so different from a big complex with an office. I sent an email on Friday. Nothing in response yet :mad: I guess it's been a holiday.

Welp, she's going with the other couple. Hooray, now I can plan another 4 hours each way trip to go look at other apartments.

:sigh:

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
I'm in my first apartment, and use a sleeper sofa as a primary bed. Have to highly recommend it if, like me,

- You live with a lot of roomies and you are introverted, so you don't really chill in the common areas
- You have company (boy/girlfriend) over a lot

As a bed, my sleeper sofa nearly reaches wall to wall (just enough space for my desk in front of it, if I move my chair to the side), so my room is basically 75-85% (Queen-size) bed. But folded up, I have more room to walk and relax than any of my roomies, including the one with the huge-rear end master bedroom. Being able to shift between a private bedroom and private living room is a bit of a niche need, but my girlfriend lives an hour away and tends to stay for an entire day or two when she visits (which I told my roomies ahead of time, mind you). We're sure as hell not going to hang out around the five people I currently live with, thus we both pitched in for a sleeper sofa and can *very* comfortably stay in my room for 9-10 hours at a time, Netflixin' and such, without just sitting on a bed the whole time (which we have to do at her place, and gets uncomfortable no matter how good the bed is). Bonus point? If/when we move in together, we already have a regular bed and a couch.

I'd just consider not getting a whole couch + queen-sized bed deal like I did, since it was hell getting it through a bedroom door (leg got broken off in the process). We only got one so big because we're both ridiculous divas about beds, and we also specifically wanted a big couch as our one piece of living room funiture when we move in together this summer. A double would probably be the best bet, letting you reap the benefits of both a sizable seat and sizable bed in a room that couldn't normally fit both. If you have another space where you'd be comfortable relaxing most of the time, though, I probably wouldn't consider it worth the investment (I got mine for $800 at Rooms to Go).

Also, on a weirder note, it's oddly therapeutic switching between bed and couch in the morning and night. Waking up at 6am for work and immediately putting the bed away has this weird "Oh, I'm currently in 'do poo poo' mode" effect since sitting on the edge of the bed isn't even an option anymore.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

MrDude posted:

Also, on a weirder note, it's oddly therapeutic switching between bed and couch in the morning and night. Waking up at 6am for work and immediately putting the bed away has this weird "Oh, I'm currently in 'do poo poo' mode" effect since sitting on the edge of the bed isn't even an option anymore.

Your brain has made that the transition action. Folding up your sleeper sofa (or even making a normal bed) removes the temptation to crawl back into the warm covers.

Do all of your sheets and blankets get folded up in the couch? Where do your pillows go?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fork bomb posted:

Your brain has made that the transition action. Folding up your sleeper sofa (or even making a normal bed) removes the temptation to crawl back into the warm covers.

I need to find something like that for myself--apparently putting the alarm clock across the room from me is insufficient to stop me walking over, hitting snooze, and falling back into bed for upwards of an hour some mornings. Suggestions welcome :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 2, 2013

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I'm having some issues with the business that I live above. My girlfriend and I moved into our current apartment about 10 months ago, fully aware of the bar/restaurant downstairs (we live on the third floor). We never had an issue until about a week ago when the restaurant decided to become a full fledged nightclub pretty much. Now I don't mind some loud music on the weekends and such, but for a week straight, they have been absolutely blaring loud bass music until 2 am. It's loud enough that my fan doesn't drown it out and the windows actually shake sometimes. It's really starting to wear on my sanity and the girlfriend and I are starting to stress out about the situation.

What can we do? Do we write the city ordinance office or something? File continuous noise complaints? Has anyone dealt with a similar situation to this? Thanks in advance.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

fork bomb posted:

Do all of your sheets and blankets get folded up in the couch? Where do your pillows go?

My sheets do, though it has trouble closing if I try and keep one of those egg cartony foam toppers in there. I actually lied a bit about space; I have a little under a foot of space behind the couch, into which I can snugly fit pillows and a blanket (while in couch form) or the couch cushions (while in bed form). Before I realized that, it didn't look half bad when I left a pillow on each end of the couch as an additional throw pillow, with the blanket folded and thrown on top of the couch.

Ciaphas posted:

I need to find something like that for myself--apparently putting the alarm clock across the room from me is insufficient to stop me walking over, hitting snooze, and falling back into bed for upwards of an hour some mornings. Suggestions welcome :v:

I still end up doing this sometimes. It's the worst when you can't remember walking across the room to hit snooze, and you just sorta hate yourself for something you don't even remember doing. I'm currently trying to make the beginning of my morning routine purely habitual, where I stand up immediately and begin pulling blankets off the bed before I so much as think of how long I could get away with snoozing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

My current solution has been 'have a baby', but I have to say it's a lot of work and expense just to get yourself up in the mornings. Plus it takes ages to fine-tune the wake-up time. I had your issue in university, though, and I think the biggest thing is to make sure you are getting enough sleep in general. If you are crashing out at 1am and trying to get up at 6am, yea, it's just not going to work.

The other thing I did was to disable the snooze on the alarm (you can sometimes do this with settings, but otherwise do it mechanically by blocking/covering/severing the button) and putting the clock somewhere inconvenient, like under my desk. Having said that, I woke up at least once to find that I had gotten out of bed, unplugged the alarm, and thrown the clock across the room without actually waking up enough to remember it. They also make puzzle clocks that make you reassemble a thing before it will turn off, so there's always that.

marsisol posted:

I'm having some issues with the business that I live above. My girlfriend and I moved into our current apartment about 10 months ago, fully aware of the bar/restaurant downstairs (we live on the third floor). We never had an issue until about a week ago when the restaurant decided to become a full fledged nightclub pretty much. Now I don't mind some loud music on the weekends and such, but for a week straight, they have been absolutely blaring loud bass music until 2 am. It's loud enough that my fan doesn't drown it out and the windows actually shake sometimes. It's really starting to wear on my sanity and the girlfriend and I are starting to stress out about the situation.

What can we do? Do we write the city ordinance office or something? File continuous noise complaints? Has anyone dealt with a similar situation to this? Thanks in advance.

Is there a single landlord? As in, does the same guy rent to the restaurant as rents to you? If so, you can always try complaining to him and telling him what is going on. I mean he might not care/be able to do anything, but it is certainly an option. This obviously doesn't help if you are in a situation where there are different property owners, though.

Other than that, you can certainly look into the local ordinances and find out if they are violating something - not just noise restrictions, depending on zoning and things they might not be allowed to just turn their restaurant into a club. This depends a lot on your location though, some places are really fussy about this and others just don't give a poo poo. But if it turns out they are supposed to have a 11pm close and they're staying open until 2am, feel free to report them for that!

You can always try talking to the owner/manager of the restaurant, but I seriously doubt they are going to give a poo poo.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I think a friend has given me bedbugs, because I've started to notice bites on my legs since I became friends with him (about 1-2 months ago) and I don't have any pets so they're not flea bites. There's no sofa in the flat so we hang out on my bed when he's round so it's feasible that they could have dropped off his clothes.

My question is who's responsibility is it to sort out/pay for extermination? Another friend of mine had an infestation and her landlord paid for the treatment. I live in London, UK.

Also what can I do to prevent re-infestation? I haven't had a chance to tell my friend yet but I know he'll deny it. He's a bit transient and doesn't have a place of his own- moves from mum's t dad's to cousin's houses and also sleeps at his art studio. I can't ban him from coming round because he's painting me in my house at the moment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I mentioned earlier that I'm moving this summer to another state/job. The leasing office at my current place made me decide on whether or not to renew my lease back in December (for leases that start/end in July), and I signed a renewal before I knew I'd be leaving. I call my office to tell them I have to back out of my renewal and they said they'd put my place back on the market, but they tell me that I'm stuck with the new lease unless someone else want to sign a lease on the unit. What am I looking at here if no one signs it by the time I have to move out for my new job? Just losing my security deposit, or worse?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, what does your lease say? I am assuming that it is the standard 'gently caress all tenants' version, so it probably says that you are responsible for rent for the entire duration of the lease unless the management company can re-lease it, in which case you will be responsible for the period it is empty (ie, if you leave and it takes them six months to fill the apartment, you are responsible for six months rent). Note that because of this, they have no incentive to fill your unit if they have other open units to fill first.

It's entirely possible that your lease isn't that brutal and just has a penalty rate or something, but you need to read it and see what it says.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I would ask in the legal thread if such a long period of notice is even legal. Make sure to mention your state. Or just look it up online, it's probably out there somewhere.

2-3 months is not unreasonable, but 6 definitely is unless it's a really weird location. Of course unreasonable and illegal are two different things.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

C-Euro posted:

I mentioned earlier that I'm moving this summer to another state/job. The leasing office at my current place made me decide on whether or not to renew my lease back in December (for leases that start/end in July), and I signed a renewal before I knew I'd be leaving. I call my office to tell them I have to back out of my renewal and they said they'd put my place back on the market, but they tell me that I'm stuck with the new lease unless someone else want to sign a lease on the unit. What am I looking at here if no one signs it by the time I have to move out for my new job? Just losing my security deposit, or worse?

It will say in your lease. It may be the full balance of the rest of the lease, OR it could be a 2-3 month fee... but whatever else, I doubt very much that it'll be only your security deposit.

Best thing you can do is read your lease, then keep your house super tidy and gorgeous looking so people who come see it will want to live there.

e: Related question. I am also going to be leaving my lease early. When I first signed the lease for this place (August 2011), the landlord said that after the first year month to month is fine, and even in the first year in practice he'd be fine with 30 days' notice. Despite that, we did get a lease renewal for Aug 2012-Aug 2013 and sign it back in June or so. I'd like us to be out of here by June 1, so it's only two months (which is about the penalty detailed in the lease). I'd still rather not pay it if possible. I am wondering what the best way to terminate a lease early- email or snail mail, presumably registered- is and whether it'd be a good idea to mention the stuff he said (verbal only :argh:) previously in a letter or email.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 5, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I was in the exact same situation a year ago, I thought I'd be staying in the area so I signed a new lease then got a job offer halfway across the country before my lease started so I wouldn't be needing the lease anymore.

Basically you have two options, assuming you have a pretty standard apartment lease:

1) Pay a reletting fee, which is usually pretty large to discourage people from flaking out on their leases. I believe mine was ~$300. This gets you out of your lease IF someone else comes along and signs a new lease for your place, if no one takes it you're still on the hook for rent until someone comes along wanting it.

2) Sublease (if your lease allows it). Pay whatever subletting fee they have (~$50) and find someone to take over your lease. If your subletter turns out to be a deadbeat and doesn't pay rent, you're still on the hook for it.

I did a combination of 1 and 2, I scoured craigslist looking for people looking for somewhere to live and put up an ad for the apartment, then directed them to the leasing office where I then paid my $300 fee and the new person signed the lease for the place. There was no way in hell I was going to trust some random person from the internet to pay their rent on time but I didn't want to leave it all in the hands of the leasing office either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Bit of an odd question, but does anyone know where to get old-school metal ice cube trays in Toronto? I've seen them online (retro junkies and paranoid anti-plastic granolas), but almost all of them have absolutely insane shipping charges.