Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Waffleman_ posted:

I still don't understand why higher prices are good. Do you think that if the prices are higher, the big boys will think Ouya is cool?

Hey rear end in a top hat, it worked with the WiiU and Batman, Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Madden 13, Ninja GAiden, and Tekken Tag Tournahahahhahahahh what the fucccccccccccck, I can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'd have no problem spending $10+ on a mobile game if there was $10 worth of game there. I know that's a hugely subjective thing, but nothing on the Ouya store is worth that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Madcosby posted:

Game devaluation is not a serious problem at all, dude. It's not a problem at all. It doesn't even exist.

It absolutely is a problem - the app store has trained people that if a game costs more than .99 or free, you should either not buy it or wait for a sale. Hell, I'm willing to pay for stuff and I've gotten burned more times than I can remember buying an $8 app that goes down to $2.99 or less. It means truly ambitions projects (which I admit are few) are even less likely to make it off the ground because the developer has to assume they won't make significant sales at a price point higher than a buck.

That being said, Square's example not the one to follow. Charging $15 for 20 year old ports is appalling.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do you think there's room next to all those E.T. cartridges for our excess OUYA*s?

*Old-timey Uncle's Yelling Amplifier.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you think there's room next to all those E.T. cartridges for our excess OUYA*s?

*Old-timey Uncle's Yelling Amplifier.

If you leave the OUYA plugged in it'll eventually dispose of itself. XboxPants will be along shortly to explain why house fires are a good thing, I'm sure.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Crackbone posted:

It absolutely is a problem - the app store has trained people that if a game costs more than .99 or free, you should either not buy it or wait for a sale. Hell, I'm willing to pay for stuff and I've gotten burned more times than I can remember buying an $8 app that goes down to $2.99 or less. It means truly ambitions projects (which I admit are few) are even less likely to make it off the ground because the developer has to assume they won't make significant sales at a price point higher than a buck.

That being said, Square's example not the one to follow. Charging $15 for 20 year old ports is appalling.

I think this is honestly the post XboxPants was trying to make, if he wasn't just really bad at framing his points.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fooley posted:

I'd have no problem spending $10+ on a mobile game if there was $10 worth of game there. I know that's a hugely subjective thing, but nothing on the Ouya store is worth that.

Hell, S-E even have a new game (Final Fantasy Dimensions) that I think is totally worth $10-$15. Sure they're selling it for $20 right now but that's not terrifically outrageous.

The Final Fantasy Tactics port will almost certainly be worth $15 to a lot of people, as well.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
As others have said, game devaluation really is a problem because mobile pricing, indie bundles, deep Steam sales etc have pushed the expected prices so low that developers have to sell a huge amount of copies to make their money back, and in practice only a few can manage it.

Yes, FFIII is a bad example because it should not be $15. XboxPants makes some pretty bad arguments but sometimes the indignant XboxPants responders make arguments just as bad.

Also, the EWWYUCK looks like a terrible console; I'm sure not disputing that.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
This is Action 52 all over again and I love it so much

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Problem for me is this...
I don't expect to pay much at all for games on my mobile or ipad because games for these units are time wasters, throw away fun pass times.
I know I am generalising but gently caress it, that is just how it is seen.
Now on my pc, ps3, whatever, I am happy to pay full price retail amounts because these games will be more fleshed out and deeper, much more substance to them.
The ooooyah has decided that the market where it wants to be is a fictional one where it's somehow not insane to think that people want to play cheap throwaway games that you buy for mobiles on the TV - where people traditinally want to play more expensive and in depth games.

The ooooyah sits in a unique place - a place that cannot please anyone.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 30, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Install Gentoo posted:

This is because most poo poo on the App Store is barely even worth 99 cents, not because of ~game devaluation~.

Watch out the entire iOS thread is probably going to flood in here now and turn the thread into a giant argument about why their telephone games should cost 60 dollars.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED

peter gabriel posted:

Problem for me is this...
I don't expect to pay much at all for games on my mobile or ipad because games for these units are time wasters, throw away fun pass times.
I know I am generalising but gently caress it, that is just how it is seen.
Now on my pc, ps3, whatever, I am happy to pay full price retail amounts because these games will be more fleshed out and deeper, much more substance to them.
The ooooyah has decided that the market where it wants to be is a fictional one where it's somehow not insane to think that people want to play cheap throwaway games that you buy for mobiles on the TV - where people traditinally want to play more expensive and in depth games.

The ooooyah sits in a unique place - a place that cannot please anyone.

Thank you, Peter Gabriel, for succinctly summarizing this for us and thus, ending the thread.

P.s. please note the sarcasm.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Nition posted:

As others have said, game devaluation really is a problem because mobile pricing, indie bundles, deep Steam sales etc have pushed the expected prices so low that developers have to sell a huge amount of copies to make their money back, and in practice only a few can manage it.

These deals have come around because not only are the developers making more money, they're selling more units. This might spell DOOM AND GLOOM for larger publishers, but that's because the market is changing and their failing to adapt.

Sure, it's great to get a game that sells 10 million copies at 60$ a pop, but there's a big problem when you spend upwards of 100 million to produce it, and some guy sells just as many copies as you on a budget of 10,000 USD.

Edit: I'm talking more about PC releases rather than mobile. Just a general shift in the industry.

Ryen Deckard fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 30, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ryen Deckard posted:

Sure, it's great to get a game that sells 10 million copies at 60$ a pop, but there's a big problem when you spend upwards of 100 million to produce it, and some guy sells just as many copies as you on a budget of 10,000 USD.

Very few mobile games reach 10 million copies sold. In reality it tends to be $10,000 to develop, $11,000 total revenue.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't feel like catching up to 2000+ posts. Has the OUYA killed the evil big 3 yet?

It has already. Haven't you noticed? The PS3 was merely the first to fall.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mr. Pumroy posted:

The problem with video games is we don't pay enough for them.

I know man. I just got Hitman Absolution for $9 on steam and I just can't enjoy it because I didn't pay 60$ for it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Depressing Drawers posted:

Thank you, Peter Gabriel, for succinctly summarizing this for us and thus, ending the thread.

P.s. please note the sarcasm.

No problem, I'm here all week.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Also, the price pattern already went through this cycle on XBLIG. Games were initially $5 or more, but market demand quickly pushed down to $1 for everything. Having higher prices keeping the price up only really works in markets where everyone is colluding.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

Also, the price pattern already went through this cycle on XBLIG. Games were initially $5 or more, but market demand quickly pushed down to $1 for everything. Having higher prices keeping the price up only really works in markets where everyone is colluding.

Again, that's because most XBLIG titles are hardly worth 80 points, let alone 400.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nition posted:

Let's just say it's been a double edged sword. I doubt you'll find the creators of some $1-$2 apps that did really well saying that the low price point was a problem. It's mostly a problem for people who make full or high price games that aren't worth the money.

There's always going to be people & companies, from tiny indies to big THQs, that get forced out. Whether the competition has better quality than you, better prices, or just better marketing, it's a market and that stuff happens. The reality of making videogames is that lots of people want to do it, because it's a fun job. As a reductio ad absurdum example, are people who make games as a hobby and give them away completely free killing the gaming market?

Personally I'm glad the mobile space is starting out with cheap games and a large market, instead of $25 games and only core gamers buying them. Growing your market volume is a big challenge, introducing a higher priced premium product to a mature market is less so.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

packetgrinder posted:

Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question of "Why is RED the 100% Brony shooter?"

I don't blame him to be honest. There are times when I've wanted to shoot nothing but bronys too.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
You know, if the OUSYADADDY just marketed itself as its own self contained corner made for a semi-casual audience, half of its bullshit would have been avoided. It would still suck, but at least no one would be flipping out or claiming that it will rattle the industry.

But, that's the DEYTERKOUYAJERBS for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

XboxPants posted:

That game in particular may suck, but I think it's good to see games for non mobile prices. (yes I realize square charges prices like that on mobile too - it's still important for there to be games on Ouya for $5+, $10+ prices)

Where did you see this?

I think you got some real good idea's in your head, and you're trying here, but man they just come out completely wrong every time.

XboxPants posted:

So there's two reasons I'm glad to see FFIII priced at $15.

First, I'm glad a developer with clout is selling games in the $5-$15 range, regardless of quality, purely for the sake of creating more flexible price expectations.

Second, and more specific to this game, I'm glad to see FFIII sold at $15 because it indicates that if Square brings more games to OUYA, they might be willing to price those games that high, too.

Square Enix is 137 million dollars in the red right now. They are doing so badly that their executives are resigning left and right, and none of their games, both in-house, and published, are selling.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 30, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

JazzFlight posted:

The sleepers are awakening! The prophecy has begun to be fulfilled!

I'm not at all surprised that it turns out the BLOODY BUCCANEERS' main demographic is incredibly particular and will gladly go along with whatever everyone else on the internet says. From day 1 it was apparent that it was only a matter of time before the backers turn on BLOODY BUCKANEERS en-masse. The best thing that could happen now is if an equally useless kickstarter comes along that could allow it to fade into obscurity with some semblance of grace.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

No problem, I'm here all week.

If you're trying to post worse than xboxpants you're going to need to put in more effort.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Square Enix is 137 million dollars in the red right now. They are doing so badly that their executives are resigning left and right, and none of their games, both in-house, and published, are selling.

Not true, Eidos' games are selling fine, they just aren't saving the company from the rest of their games selling like poo poo like the home branch was hoping they would.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Eidos games are selling great, it's just that 3.4m copies is "underperforming" because their budgets are so bloated.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

theflyingorc posted:

Nevermind, don't watch that video, watch THIS video.

Incredibly slow, nothing fits on the screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OtKyJyeus
This is actually a worse store interface than I was expecting.

When you guys complain about the 360 dashboard, look at this and remember that it can always be much, much worse.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

I know that you're being sarcastic, but that is actually a pretty concise & clear summary of what I was saying. Basically, I'm just glad to see a developer with clout release a $5+ game, because I think that's a good influence for the OUYA market.

Game devaluation really is a serious problem. Now, so far it's been limited mostly to the mobile space. It's very hard to sell your game on the App Store at above $.99, for instance. That's not good for developers, since it means you can only make money by selling a huge volume of games. Now expectation for mobile platforms has already been set that anything more than $.99 for a game is expensive. Square & other publishers can release games at a higher price, and that will help change it. But it's much easier to change expectations that haven't fully formed yet, like on OUYA.

So there's two reasons I'm glad to see FFIII priced at $15.

First, I'm glad a developer with clout is selling games in the $5-$15 range, regardless of quality, purely for the sake of creating more flexible price expectations.

Second, and more specific to this game, I'm glad to see FFIII sold at $15 because it indicates that if Square brings more games to OUYA, they might be willing to price those games that high, too.

If we drew a venn diagram of people who don't understand economics, people who don't understand business, and people who don't understand gaming, you would be the circle in the middle of all 3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
This is a good time to remind everyone (XboxPants) that SquareEnix just reported a rather sizeable loss and their CEO 'stepped down' so good choice of cmpanies to emulate. :thumbsup:

e: beaten like the Big Three at the hands of the JAZZHANDS.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 30, 2013

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is a good time to remind everyone (XboxPants) that SquareEnix just reported a rather sizeable loss and their CEO 'stepped down' so good choice of cmpanies to emulate. :thumbsup:

To be fair, that probably was just because they hadn't released Final Fantasy III on enough platforms.

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.
Maybe they'll finally do the remake of FF7 that nerds have been clamouring for forever and release it exclusively on the AERIS. That'll save the company!

(They'll never remake FF7 for the TIFA or any other platform because then fans would have to face the fact that the game is actually pretty poo poo compared to modern games. It would put a fatal katana into the heart of the brand.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

I still don't understand why higher prices are good. Do you think that if the prices are higher, the big boys will think Ouya is cool?

Well games on XBLA and PSN are successful at $15, so if Ouya developers do the same with their games then surely they will be just as successful, maybe even more so!

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Rockbear posted:

Maybe they'll finally do the remake of FF7 that nerds have been clamouring for forever and release it exclusively on the AERIS. That'll save the company!

(They'll never remake FF7 for the TIFA or any other platform because then fans would have to face the fact that the game is actually pretty poo poo compared to modern games. It would put a fatal katana into the heart of the brand.)

but the AERIS is a dead system

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: beaten like the Big Three at the hands of the JAZZHANDS.

That's just OUYA taking on the big three and their lackeys! First EA's CEO, now S-E, next it could be any so-called AAA developers or publishers who have the gall to occasionally release quality titles on popular systems. Who knows who the OUYA could take down next!

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
It's been incredibly foggy in my city for almost 3 days now.

Is this what the Ouya brought upon the world? Is it all coming to an end?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

CousinKevin posted:

Plug an Ouya into your TV. It will turn it into a portal to another world where you can hide while the apocalypse is ongoing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ohtsam posted:

Plug an Ouya into your TV. It will turn it into a portal to another world where you can hide while the apocalypse is ongoing.
Meanwhile, Julie Uhrman will be talking to press about having Portal on the PSYCHOBILLYFREAKOUT.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CousinKevin posted:

There was an OSU! TATAKE! OOOOUUUENDAN! here. It's gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I just noticed that Amazon now has images of the box/packaging now: http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/dp/B0050SZD18/ref=zg_bsms_videogames_15 Looks nice.

I realize this is from a few pages ago, but I figured I'd better look this up to make sure I'm not about to get a surprise :toxx: ban.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What were the stakes of XBOXPant's toxx again? Doesn't he need to get his OUYA with finished controllers by the End of March?

Nope, I've been playing a game of continously shifting goalposts with a couple posters in this thread. Back in December, people thought the controller would just ever exist at all, let alone on time:

raditts posted:

You know what's less dumb? Spending a little more and being able to play indie PC games on your TV with a gamepad... on a PC !!

I will bet money that you will not be getting a gamepad in that $99. It's unrealistic enough to produce the unit itself at that price point.

XboxPants posted:

Wanna :toxx: me for it? Here, I'll even go first. If the publicly available version of the OUYA, the one that people have already ordered, (i.e. not the Kickstarter reward or the early dev kit) does not come with a gamepad, I'll post a BANME thread. This thread will contain as many incorrect statements or predictions I've made about the OUYA as I can find. You're free to help out and send some my way, too.

(in case you're curious, Raditts was unwilling to actually back up his bravado, so there's no toxx out on him)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 30, 2013

• Locked thread