Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've only used tamarind along with fish sauce when making pad thai. I should branch out more as I've got a whole box full of tamarind beans still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Ok, google isn't helping me out here. I ate at an Armenian restaurant last night that had awesome in-house pickled things. I'm looking for a recipe for pickled cabbage/cauliflower (they had both in the same brine) that's pink, vinegary and possibly has allspice or something that tastes like it in it. The cabbage was still crunchy. Anyone know what this is called or how to make it?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Schmeichy posted:

Ok, google isn't helping me out here. I ate at an Armenian restaurant last night that had awesome in-house pickled things. I'm looking for a recipe for pickled cabbage/cauliflower (they had both in the same brine) that's pink, vinegary and possibly has allspice or something that tastes like it in it. The cabbage was still crunchy. Anyone know what this is called or how to make it?

It probably had beets or turnips in it, that would be why it was pink.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Schmeichy posted:

That sounds rather like coleslaw made with red cabbage to me from your description. Here's a recipe that is rather basic and could be respiced easily: http://www.food.com/recipe/red-cabbage-coleslaw-136493
Or thinking over it again, if this was a side dish with a hot meal it could also be a typical German red cabbage, in which case this recipe may be of help: http://www.seletsucre.com/german-red-cabbage/

Goat Pillager fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 27, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I got a couple of filet mignons for like $4 total due to CHEAP MEAT EAT IT TODAY at the grocery store, but I have no bacon. This is a crime indeed but how the hell can I cook them and get the requisite additional fat?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

I got a couple of filet mignons for like $4 total due to CHEAP MEAT EAT IT TODAY at the grocery store, but I have no bacon. This is a crime indeed but how the hell can I cook them and get the requisite additional fat?

Butter, clarified. Better to use cow fat to cook cow anyway.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

All this talk about Big Green Egg means I plug the Trager. It's a wood pellet smoker so there are lots of varieties of fuel to choose from, and I find them far less ridiculous looking than the Eggs. They recently started building them overseas and the quality has gone down a little, but they're still awesome smokers/grills.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, I like greek salad, olives, olive oil, seafood, vegetables, beans and lots of stuff that are generally seen as staples of mediterranean cuisine. Also, said mediterranean diet is touted for its health benefits and all that jazz. Therefore, I figure cooking more with this stuff would be a win-win situation...

I've been looking for a decent mediterranean cookbook, but most of the books I find from a quick Amazon search all seem to promote the mediterranean diet "agenda". I just want a simple book that focuses on recipes (and maybe their nationality, since the Mediterranean Sea does span quite a few different countries). Are there any standout recommendations for a no-frills book with good recipes?

Also, while I'm asking after recipe recommendations, a good book on salads would be pretty nice too. When I run out of ideas or feel lazy, I pretty much always end up stuffing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl and improvise a random salad. But this improvisation is pretty much always fairly lettuce-centric, with an "olive oil + balsamic vinegar" dressing, so I'd like to mix things up a bit with chickpeas, quinoa or pretty much anything really.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Just made up a batch of refrigerator pickles to use up some dill and since my local store had kirby cucs on sale based on this reciple: http://www.acouplecooks.com/2012/06/quick-refrigerator-dill-pickles/

I didn't have mason jars, but I did have 32 oz plastic takeout containers that I use for general storage: http://goo.gl/eOWhd

Are these ok to keep the pickles in for a few weeks in the fridge or is the plastic an issue? Will the tops pop off or anything overnight do to the release of pickle gas (mostly joking)?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I can't comment on if the plastic will dissolve or not, but no, there's no gasses released. I use glass and heat the lids so they seal, and fill them absolutely to the brim with brine, and never had an issue.

Weird recipe, though, I've never used sugar. I use this

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...288381481237582

It's a little simpler.

edit: Also! We have a pickling thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Phew, as long as it's not going to blow up I'm fine, I'll eat them quick. Thanks for that recipe, I'll check it out, looks good! I've posted in the pickling thread and done some of my own canning, just never made fridge pickles before so I wasn't sure how they'd do in plastic. Most of the ones I've tried before have not been great, so high hopes for this one!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for ideas for picnic food. I'm making potato salad because I've had a jones for that for a while, but would like one other substantial thing. I have no good ideas. It's not exceptionally hot here right now but not cold, and I don't have access to a proper cooler so something that won't kill us would be nice. I have a few ice packs and a towel, I could wrap some tupperware with that but it's the best I can do.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Any chance of getting some kind of daikon and making a thing? When bears came over I made a pickled daikon; essentially you julienne daikon and then let it sit salted for like a couple of minutes then rinse off the salt and then eat it.

It's strangely addictive. We sat there eating it for hours.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking for ideas for picnic food. I'm making potato salad because I've had a jones for that for a while, but would like one other substantial thing. I have no good ideas. It's not exceptionally hot here right now but not cold, and I don't have access to a proper cooler so something that won't kill us would be nice. I have a few ice packs and a towel, I could wrap some tupperware with that but it's the best I can do.

Pickled anything, while requiring refrigeration in the longterm, can probably be out a day after they get a good week or so to get pickled, especially if you're not cracking the containers until you're about to eat them.

Also, I would say kale chips because kale chips own, but you can't really throw them in a container and transport because they're so delicate they may turn into kale dust. If you're careful I guess you could? They're not substantial at all, though.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Would making a cauliflower puree work with silken tofu or would it taste bad? I've never used silken tofu for anything and I'm trying to avoid using cream in my puree.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Goat Pillager posted:

That sounds rather like coleslaw made with red cabbage to me from your description. Here's a recipe that is rather basic and could be respiced easily: http://www.food.com/recipe/red-cabbage-coleslaw-136493
Or thinking over it again, if this was a side dish with a hot meal it could also be a typical German red cabbage, in which case this recipe may be of help: http://www.seletsucre.com/german-red-cabbage/

It definitely wasn't coleslaw. It wasn't shredded, and had nothing but decently big pieces of cabbage and cauliflower and pink liquid. That German cabbage looks closer, but I don't think it was very sweet. I like pickles, so I might just experiment until I find something I like that's close.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
All right guys, a logistical question involving frozen desserts:

I want to bring in home-made gelato for my office in a couple weeks for a celebration. Probably around 50 servings. I really like the Modernist gelato, so I will probably make a huge batch of Pistachio and PB&J Gelato.

I only have the 2qt, freezer-chilled type ice-cream maker. It needs 24 hours (at least) to refreeze and be able to make another batch. Short of getting liquid nitrogen, should I get a self-refrigerating maker or just a giant old-style saltwater churner to make this much stuff? If I make it a few days before will it freeze too hard and be disgusting? I usually make it the day of and let it firm up for just a few hours.

Bonus questions--where can I source the nut oils (roasted pistachio oil and roasted peanut oil) in bulk? Is it as simple as roasting nuts and grinding them up then straining them? Can I make nut butter this way? I don't have a ~Vitamix professional blending system~ but I do have a normal blender and food processor.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Hed posted:

Can I make nut butter this way? I don't have a ~Vitamix professional blending system~ but I do have a normal blender and food processor.

I can't answer any of your other questions, but putting peanuts in a food processor makes peanut butter. You can add salt or honey or more oil or whatever, but that's just to taste. Almonds work the same way, and I assume any other nut would too. The oil will separate off without being strained, but it takes a while.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Schmeichy posted:

Also if it had a little red onion in it, it would certainly turn pink.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Fried chicken is a classic for a reason. A frenchier approach would be a brie, a baguette, and some cured meats. And wine.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Grand Fromage posted:

Salami, cheese, and crackers, though I imagine it could be hard/expensive to find a nice assortment in Korea.

I love chilled namul. Not very American, but delicious.

How about wraps?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So oxtail is really cheap at my local supermarket and I've never had it before. I was thinking of making oxtail soup. Does any recipe they particularly like that is unusual? Rather than browning the meat, sauteeing the veg and then adding the meat and liquid basically. Though I don't mind doing that I don't need a recipe

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

So oxtail is really cheap at my local supermarket and I've never had it before. I was thinking of making oxtail soup. Does any recipe they particularly like that is unusual? Rather than browning the meat, sauteeing the veg and then adding the meat and liquid basically. Though I don't mind doing that I don't need a recipe

Here are some ideas:

Kare-kare (http://goonswithspoons.com/Kare_Kare)
Bo kho (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323936804578227681483271650.html)
Gom gook (http://www.thedeliciouslife.com/simple-seoul-food-ggori-gom-tahng/)

You can also do pretty much anything you could do with braised chuck. It will be considerably richer. Just braise them in some liquid of some sort, cool, and pick the meat off the bones, then use in ravioli, make a ragu and toss with pappardelle or orecchiete, ghoulash, stroganoff, etc.

Sorryman555
Jul 19, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are these things good? Or at least healthy/sanitary? Almost tempted to buy them but mostly because I want to soak them in liquor

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm skeptical about how good pre-roasted marshmallows could be compared to the real thing, but I guarantee they're "sanitary". Kraft wouldn't put out a product unless it was shelf-stable for at least a while.

That said, I would be tempted to put some caramel (burnt sugary kind of stuff), and some dried coconut in liquor instead of those marshmallows. I think the burnt sugar (and maybe a bit of smokiness) and coconut would be the major flavors you want from them and those would probably be better if you started with more basic ingredients. It would be less thick though, since the gelatin from the marshmallows would probably thicken the liquor somewhat.

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
I have an incredibly stupid question that I haven't been able to answer with Google.

I see huge flareups in a lot of videos when cooking with high heat. The chef never seems to be worried and just kinda tosses the food around until it's not on fire anymore. Is this something that's expected when you're cooking anything that requires very high heat? Do you need a stove with 6 feet of clearance above it to make traditional Chinese food or whatever?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sorryman555 posted:

Are these things good? Or at least healthy/sanitary? Almost tempted to buy them but mostly because I want to soak them in liquor

I can't guarantee it'll be good, but nothing you soak in liquor will be unsanitary. Unless it's literally poop.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Karb posted:

I have an incredibly stupid question that I haven't been able to answer with Google.

I see huge flareups in a lot of videos when cooking with high heat. The chef never seems to be worried and just kinda tosses the food around until it's not on fire anymore. Is this something that's expected when you're cooking anything that requires very high heat? Do you need a stove with 6 feet of clearance above it to make traditional Chinese food or whatever?

It's not a dumb question because western techniques and traditions never use it, so it's rarely discussed.

Chinese wok cooking techniques that involve catching the wok contents on fire? That is a fire hazard with regards to home cooking. Flames may lick the grease catchers in your hood and start a bunch of stuff on fire. If you're planning to ignite woks on fire, you really should do that only with an outdoor burner or in a restaurant that is set up for this. Don't do that stuff in your kitchen with a hood hanging 3 feet above your wok. You'll get some very tasty food, if you can eat it before you die in a raging inferno. Catching your food on fire like that is not to be done inside your house.

The fire generally occurs with high heat AND an open flame, especially the powerful jet-like burners that Chinese restaurants use. An electric or normal gas stove probably won't catch the contents on fire in most circumstances unless you are totally screwing up the temperature control in a bad way. Know that it's not the heat of the wok that causes the oil to catch on fire. The fire is caused by the oil, spattering heavily when food is added, which creates microdroplets in the air, combined with the chef flicking the wok in a way that the huge burner flame comes over the edge of the wok and catches that little cloud of microdroplets on fire. The flicking action also simultaneously flips the food into that fiery cloud of oil droplets, adding that famous "wok hei" flavor. It is not the pool of oil in the wok getting so hot that it smokes and then reaches the flash point. The wok does gets hot as hell to give a bit of browning to the food, but not hot enough that the pool of oil reaches its flash point.

Go ahead and stir fry at home. Just do not try to get that cloud of oil vapor on fire, and accept that the flavor will miss a little something from its restaurant counterpart. Plenty of Asian people stir fry at home without flaming the contents this way. Many Asians complement food by saying that it tastes like it comes from a restaurant, unlike here in the states, where we complement food by saying that it tastes homemade. This fire technique may have something to do with it.

Flambes and other cooking styles that utilize alcohol to create a flame are different. You can reasonably attempt that stuff on your kitchen stove if you can keep the flame away from ignition sources but you want to be very careful all the same.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 30, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The easiest thing is to make Alton Brown shrimp and grits which is basically "pour bourbon on shrimp and light it so the booze fire does most of the work."

It's not an unknown Western method, it's just used less.

edit: With a gas stove I have set a pan or two on fire but never anything major. I've never gotten my wok to do the flame thing properly but I have honestly never put a lot of effort into attempting.

And now I want to of course. I need to make some shrimp enter some stomachs tomorrow, I will look into this.

VVVV Yeh, looking into it I see the difference. I don't think that "accidentally" doing it ala wok hei is at all common in Western cooking because it uses smaller flames (as was pretty much mentioned before me). It's super interesting though and I'm pretty sure I can replicate it on one of my burners that has a "Crazy poo poo" setting. From what I remember seeing, it's a quick flareup and maybe 2 seconds of burn each time.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 30, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Saint Darwin posted:

The easiest thing is to make Alton Brown shrimp and grits which is basically "pour bourbon on shrimp and light it so the booze fire does most of the work."

It's not an unknown Western method, it's just used less.

edit: With a gas stove I have set a pan or two on fire but never anything major. I've never gotten my wok to do the flame thing properly but I have honestly never put a lot of effort into attempting.

^^^ You can replicate it, but I can't stress enough that the oil flame is very unpredictable and can get huge if there's excess spattering from whatever reason. Seriously, 3-5 feet high sometimes. Don't burn your house down, man.

I would say that flambes are pretty different from lighting a wok on fire. Yes, there's fire, but the flavor gained and the method used for getting that fire are pretty different in my opinion. The oil flame size is often also a hell of a lot bigger compared to an alcohol flambe.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 30, 2013

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
The Costco here carries these big wedges of a fantastic local blue cheese, and their current stock is nearing its expiration date so it's marked down to a ridiculous price. I'd love to pick up a bunch of these if I can keep them from spoiling before they're used. Given that it's a blue cheese and thus basically already moldy, is the expiration date mostly an FDA formality, or will less edible molds take over soon? Could they possibly be frozen? I'm sure freezing would gently caress up the texture, but could it still be used in recipes?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Sell by does not mean eat by. The "expiry" date is a manufacturer suggestion as to when is the latest date that the store should sell the stuff. It's freaking cheese, dude. It'll be fine.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've actually had good luck freezing cheese, carefully wrapped. Didn't damage the texture at all as long as it was thawed slowly in the fridge instead of more rapidly on the counter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I freeze cheese a lot these days since it can be tough to find here. What I do is cut it up into smaller pieces that I imagine I'll use in a reasonable timeframe, wrap tightly in saran wrap, then freeze in bags with all the air pushed out. Thaw it in the fridge and generally it comes out just fine. I don't know about blue cheese since there's the mold action going on, but I do this with hard cheeses, softer ones like cheddar, and even mozzarella all the time.

If you can buy fresh cheese easily there's not much point but it works pretty well if you need to.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've never frozen cheese but in principle it's the freezing process that damages or changes the texture of food. The longer it takes to freeze, the more cells crystallize and rupture during the freezing process (not during defrosting - though keeping cool, ie defrosting in the fridge, during the defrosting helps mask damage done in during the freezing process).
So either invest in a blast freezer, or before freezing, store any food intended to be frozen in the coldest part of the fridge.
For old style fridges with a plate evap, that's right at the back just below the plate. For auto defrosting fan forced modern fridges - with the freezer at the top, they often have a cold/meat drawer/shelf with lid/cover at the top of the fridge that's normally 1 deg celcius, keep it there for a day before freezing. For fridge/freezers with the freezer at the bottom, it's more trial and error. If they have the vege drawers at the bottom of the fridge on top the the freezer, put them on an as low as possible shelf above the vege drawers right in front of (but not blocking, but close to), the lowest vent outlets you see.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

What you say makes sense in the context of plant (cells) or animal (cells), but which cells are you talking about in cheese?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
What is the best way to make garlic infused oil? Buy a small bottle of decent olive oil, clean the cloves and chop off the bottom hard bits and chuck them in? How long would that last on the shelf?

Looking to make some infused oils since I'm on a restricted diet for health reasons, let me know what else I can put into olive oil that makes it taste better than normal!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

What is the best way to make garlic infused oil? Buy a small bottle of decent olive oil, clean the cloves and chop off the bottom hard bits and chuck them in? How long would that last on the shelf?

Looking to make some infused oils since I'm on a restricted diet for health reasons, let me know what else I can put into olive oil that makes it taste better than normal!

You should confit the garlic. Chucking in raw cloves and letting them sit there is a nice way to get botulism.

Edit: bonus is you get garlic confit with your garlic oil. put that poo poo on everything.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

You should confit the garlic. Chucking in raw cloves and letting them sit there is a nice way to get botulism.

Edit: bonus is you get garlic confit with your garlic oil. put that poo poo on everything.

Do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Vlex posted:

What you say makes sense in the context of plant (cells) or animal (cells), but which cells are you talking about in cheese?

Well, the cheese is made from milk, which is an animal product containing animal cells.