Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
From a scenario perspective, having him remain on the field is a tactically sound decision. From a story perspective, it is dumb as hell and the waste-not Clans would never allow it to happen. Everybody wants to be Aidan Pryde with that one ER Small, but nobody wants to be wasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

From a scenario perspective, having him remain on the field is a tactically sound decision. From a story perspective, it is dumb as hell and the waste-not Clans would never allow it to happen. Everybody wants to be Aidan Pryde with that one ER Small, but nobody wants to be wasteful.

Other way around, the Clans are huge on suicidal defenses. They're less big on suicidal OFFENSE.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the JJ posted:

He's actually in a great position to plant himself in someones rear arc and force them to scoot away from the dropship or shoot at him, and reveal their back to the rest of Goonlanstar.

If you can break the 'circle the dropship game' and force enemies to vacate the dropship premises, with just the threat of a rifleman pouncing on them, then it may be worth doing so because you have the chance of winning a full victory.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also, it can still kick, which is more dangerous than a fair number of the guns left on the field. He won't last long if they actually target him, but a heavy mech is a threat even with 0 guns. The ER Small is just a potential bonus critical.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If Hastur lives through this, I hope he gets his Bloodname.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Preechr posted:

If Hastur lives through this, I hope he gets his Bloodname.

Steiner is a bloodname, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It is. It's a Clan Cloud Cobra exclusive.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
He's turned down a grip of bloodname opportunities already, dude wouldn't give a gently caress about turning down another.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Steiner is a bloodname, right?

Whatever happened to the steiner captured in one of the earlier missions?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

TheParadigm posted:

Last I recall, she was helping her new Clan make a Bigger Beatstick and teaching them Steiner-style gutstomping techniques.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is. It's a Clan Cloud Cobra exclusive.

The guy who founded it (Keilan Steiner?) was the illegitimate half-brother of the sitting Archon, or something like that. They set it up pretty deliberately so that neither side could make claim on the other with how bloodnames are tracked and all. That just means Phelan's claim had to be all the more contrived.

TheParadigm posted:

Caesar Steiner the Magnificent is playing a genius con where he is convincing the Vipers to forfeit most of the advantages of Clantech when fighting Lyrans by teaching them to melee first.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 30, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Defiance Industries posted:

Caesar Steiner the Magnificent is playing a genius con where he is convincing the Vipers to forfeit most of the advantages of Clantech when fighting Lyrans by teaching them to melee first.

I recall it was also his idea to ally them with Skye and thus create a pocket of mixed asskickers positioned to ruin anybody's day.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In every timeline, there is a man, a giant robot, and issues with the leadership of Skye.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I recall it was also his idea to ally them with Skye and thus create a pocket of mixed asskickers positioned to ruin anybody's day.

The more fun version of Clan-Wolf-in-Exile.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

KnoxZone posted:

That ERSL might not even get into range, I'm more concerned about that and his physical kick being enough to draw fire for one round. I agree it'd be wasteful right now though, it's more of a thing to do once there's only 2 or even just 1 enemy mech remaining as they'll have to choose not to fire on someone else.
Hastur will probably have the oppertunity later as well, with just three enemy mechs left, and if not he'll restrict at least one enemy's positioning with his presence without having to engage in combat, he might be able to just wait and see how things develop.

Wow, just realized H6 and X2 were exactly outside the Mackie's SRM range. Good job!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 30, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In every timeline, there is a man, a giant robot, and issues with the leadership of Skye.

I guess we got to Kaetetôã through a tear.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
Ah but Hastur's done his duty, and he needn't prove anything to anyone. This ride is broken. Time to enter the dropship and see if the 'techs have anything worth piloting back out. Bid? Why bother; the Inner Spheroids aren't worth the time.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It'd be pretty cool if they kept a spare mech in their dropship. But that was the one we secured so probably not?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

:colbert:

Thanks for the wonderful Birthday Present, T.G. Xarbala!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm sure they'll cook up some melee weapons, but you're simply too competent to cook up anything as poorly-designed as the four Clan uberweapons so it's a net gain for the IS.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Dat mace.:stare:

I like (hope) that the shoulder gun is the toblerone-inspired Gauss Rifle style from MWO.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that style of GR actually was already kicking around canon art prior to MWO. I'd have to go through my TROs but it seems way familiar. Maybe 3075/3085/Prototypes?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

:colbert:

Thanks for the wonderful Birthday Present, T.G. Xarbala!

Is that God Finger?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Man, looking back at the beginning of the Jeronimo campaign, it's only now that I realize that we've been trucking around with the Death Commandos for just over 8 months now. This has been an amazing series of missions! Will be kind of glad though once it's over with and we can see what the rest of the Inner Sphere has been up to.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

Man, looking back at the beginning of the Jeronimo campaign, it's only now that I realize that we've been trucking around with the Death Commandos for just over 8 months now. This has been an amazing series of missions! Will be kind of glad though once it's over with and we can see what the rest of the Inner Sphere has been up to.

Hopefully all the Davions have died of a plague or something.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Hmmm, with Skye having broken away from the Lyran Commonwealth, does this mean the Lyrans now no longer control Hesperus II and it's 'mech factories?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Rorahusky posted:

Hmmm, with Skye having broken away from the Lyran Commonwealth, does this mean the Lyrans now no longer control Hesperus II and it's 'mech factories?

Yep!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jesus christ, that's terrifying. :stare: Please tell me we're going to see one of those in action soon-ish.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Jesus christ, that's terrifying. :stare: Please tell me we're going to see one of those in action soon-ish.

Nothing over 80 tons can mount a mace, unfortunately. They're simply too big.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Nothing over 80 tons can mount a mace, unfortunately. They're simply too big.

Clan Maces. Half as bulky, twice the damage! :eng101:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Is that a WH40K-style power fist/claw on the left hand...?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

landcollector posted:

Clan Maces. Half as bulky, twice the damage! :eng101:

Well, twice the damage I can do...

quote:

Skyebreaker

Mass: 80 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Cost: 20,628,390 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,778

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 320 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h (54.0 km/h)
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h (86.4 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armament:
1 (CL) ER PPC
1 (CL) Ultra AC/20
1 (CL) Plasma Cannon
7 (CL) ER Small Lasers
1 Mace
Triple Strength Myomer

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 122 points 8.00
Engine: XL Engine 320 11.50
Walking MP: 4 (5)
Running MP: 6 (8)
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: (CL) Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Gyro: Standard 4.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
TSM Locations: 2 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 240 15.00
CASE Locations: LT, LA 0.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 25 39
Center Torso (rear) 10
L/R Torso 17 25
L/R Torso (rear) 9
L/R Arm 13 25
L/R Leg 17 32

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CL) ER PPC CT 15 2 6.00
7 (CL) ER Small Lasers RT 14 7 3.50
(CL) Ultra AC/20 LT 7 8 12.00
Mace RA - 8 8.00
(CL) Plasma Cannon LA 7 1 3.00
@Ultra AC/20 (10) LT - 2 2.00
@Ultra AC/20 (10) LA - 2 2.00
@Plasma Cannon (20) LA - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 5

Say hello to 115 points of damage per round in close combat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why the plasma cannon? Aren't those just ER ER Flamers?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Why the plasma cannon? Aren't those just ER ER Flamers?

I wanted something that would give it the burning hand effect, from the illustration, and the plasma cannon would allow it to essentially throw fireballs. I figured it had plenty of firepower anyway. But yes, it's more or less just a supercharged flamer.

VVVV
edit: Exactly what I was going for.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 30, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

fool_of_sound posted:

I wanted something that would give it the burning hand effect, from the illustration, and the plasma cannon would allow it to essentially throw fireballs. I figured it had plenty of firepower anyway. But yes, it's more or less just a supercharged flamer.

Burning FINGAAAAAAAR! Or something to that effect.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes, the Steel Vipers ironically have a new Totem `Mech whose name is somewhat more appropriate for another Clan, but fuckit, it's not like the Cloud Cobras are going to be dueling with STEINER RULES anytime soon. Any questions regarding the King Cobra primary config's capabilities (including the burning finger~) are best left to PTN to tease about answer.

Also, you can probably imagine but it's basically a Battle Cobra mixed together with a Kodiak, so that it's become the AU BT equivalent of the latter. I managed to crank this one out over the course of two nights, which is ludicrously fast by my incredibly, astronomically lazy standards. I wanted to get this absolutely right, as I somehow screwed up and drew the Mojaves with the wrong kind of leg joint last year. (This is something I should probably get around to fixing. Eventually I'll have done enough art to fill an LP BT TRO, and I will lament that I did it all for free.)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

and I will lament that I did it all for free.)

I bought you that avatar didn't I?

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Xarbala if you want someone to pay you to draw a robot, I'm pretty sure there are people in this thread right now who would do it.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yes, the Steel Vipers ironically have a new Totem `Mech whose name is somewhat more appropriate for another Clan, but fuckit, it's not like the Cloud Cobras are going to be dueling with STEINER RULES anytime soon. Any questions regarding the King Cobra primary config's capabilities (including the burning finger~) are best left to PTN to tease about answer.

Also, you can probably imagine but it's basically a Battle Cobra mixed together with a Kodiak, so that it's become the AU BT equivalent of the latter. I managed to crank this one out over the course of two nights, which is ludicrously fast by my incredibly, astronomically lazy standards. I wanted to get this absolutely right, as I somehow screwed up and drew the Mojaves with the wrong kind of leg joint last year. (This is something I should probably get around to fixing. Eventually I'll have done enough art to fill an LP BT TRO, and I will lament that I did it all for free.)

Andrevian posted:

Xarbala if you want someone to pay you to draw a robot, I'm pretty sure there are people in this thread right now who would do it.

I'm one of them. Your art is simply amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

'Twas only a joke, I will probably continue to pump out thread art pro bono and I actually am currently getting paid to draw robots by Catalyst. I fit this in during deadtimes between me sending a draft and waiting for the art directors to get back to me with feedback.

(Brent Evans and Ray Arrastia are pretty cool dudes by the by.)

But if I'm going to fill up a TRO, someone else will have to handle making the actual pdf and collecting all the Mech Mavens' fluffing and statting out of the various `Mechs, because gently caress if I know how making pdfs work. This would be a pretty good way to cap off the thread, too, and a possibly a fun exercise for baldurk when this titanothread finally gets archived.

Who knows? Maybe Chugs will finally get to put his internet name on a fanTRO that isn't expressly designed to make you feel uncomfortable.

• Locked thread