Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I remember I had to farm 10 Azure Rath Tails in Unite at some point...for a lance or something? That sucked. Start quest, run to spawn location, spend 10min to cut off tail, carve, get a scale, swear loudly while soft resetting, repeat.

e:nvm, I was cutting off the tail to farm the plate/gem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There is absolutely nothing worse than Lao heavenlies. Makes me sad that there's no ticket trading for the more bullshit items anymore.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Slime Dual Blades! :dance:

Decided to do a Barioth run and then just a Tour of the Tundra to get the mats I needed to upgrade Frozen Core to Cocytus. It's no fire weapon, but it took over 15 minutes off my HR Duramboros kill time. Sadly he didn't drop a horn, so I couldn't beef up Jupiter's Sphere further.

So I decide to just go for Brachydios again. Second time went a little better than the first. I busted him up pretty bad, but he gave as good as he got. I didn't have enough for a Hammer, I didn't have enough for a SNS - I had enough for the Dual Blades, though. Fast Slime weapon? Yes, please!

Maybe now I'll be able to show that Pink Rathian what for. For all the frustrations you can run into when you experience High Rank for the first time, making something you've been wanting for awhile makes it all worth it.

I uh... I just need to actually learn to use Dual Blades. :v:

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
What the hell? Does critical draw even exist before G-rank? I'm trying to make a GS set to solo goldilocks, but none of the gems have shown up and I can't find the skill on any armour.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Reginald Bathwater posted:

What the hell? Does critical draw even exist before G-rank?

Nope.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I remember I killed something like 14 rusted Kushala Daoras looking for a gem, and then the last one dropped 3. How bad are Rath gems in this game?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Got the loving goldbeard down. Is there a trick to avoiding the giant sweeping water beam when he just fucks off to the top or bottom and snipes you? I was just eating it every time.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Got the loving goldbeard down. Is there a trick to avoiding the giant sweeping water beam when he just fucks off to the top or bottom and snipes you? I was just eating it every time.
When he swims all the way to the top of the arena? I dunno. I would just wait, then start panic swimming perpendicular to the direction he is facing. I have only seen it twice, out of four urgents, and only one of those was I the target.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Get a lance/gunlance and the guard up skill and block it :v:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

I uh... I just need to actually learn to use Dual Blades. :v:

Your first two hits are incredibly fast and you can almost always get them in and dodge away without getting hit. The remainder of X/A mashing start to give pretty long animations and if you're in a bad spot you will die horribly while swinging. Don't rush, wait for openings before committing to those long huge damage dealing combos. Whenever something is going to be busy for 3+ seconds, hit R to go into Archdemon mode and get a hit or two off before swapping out. The turbo dash is awesome. If you're playing with a Hunting Horn who can give you negate stamina loss (or take potions for it), you can spend the whole fight in archdemon mode dashing around the place and ripping things apart.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Where do I find king scarabs? I seem to already have two. I also need a "Dewy pleura"

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

Where do I find king scarabs? I seem to already have two. I also need a "Dewy pleura"

King scarabs are all over the place in High rank. Misty Peaks and Flooded Forest definitely have some and I'm 99% sure Deserted Island does too. Just gather bugs every mission you go on.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
King Scarabs:
Misty Peaks (HR) Area 1 18%, Area 5 13/19%, Area 7 10%, Area 9 15% and 12% (two spots).

Dewy Pleura+:
Glacial Agnaktor, 27% carve, 12% from Capture or Free Hunt to get 2 at once, so math says go for hunting it in Moga Woods at night and carve it then turn it in, I think.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
If I were to want to dabble in bowgunning what would be a good armour set to start with?

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
To anyone who bought a WiiU recently: did you still have to install that massive firmware update?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RADmadness posted:

To anyone who bought a WiiU recently: did you still have to install that massive firmware update?

Yep, bought mine on release date and had to do the 2 hour update or whatever. It's likely only going to get worse with the one coming up next week.

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007

RADmadness posted:

I just bought one last Sunday and it still has the two hour update. It was totally worth it for MH3U though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Are there any better places to get Hercudromes? I've been using the Flooded Forest, but that only produces 1-2 per trip. Maybe 3 if one of my little buddies manages to grab one.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Some Wii U units have it preinstalled.

But if yours does require it, you can just say no and it'll download in the background.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I just ran into a Deviljho in HR, it was scripted to show up during the Jaggia hunt quest (I knew it was too silly).

I've got a Red Bludgeon+ and about 250 defense. What are my chances? Or should I really just run?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bobnumerotres posted:

I just ran into a Deviljho in HR, it was scripted to show up during the Jaggia hunt quest (I knew it was too silly).

I've got a Red Bludgeon+ and about 250 defense. What are my chances? Or should I really just run?

I don't know the stats on that weapon, but I tried to take one on with a ceadeus lance, low-end HR armor with water atk+ buff, and an inventory stuffed full of healing items and ingredients to make more. I got him limping but with only two minutes on the clock, and ultimately he ended up killing all the Jaggia on his own and ending the quest before I took him out. Moral of the story is that it's possible, but I don't suggest it just yet.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember I killed something like 14 rusted Kushala Daoras looking for a gem, and then the last one dropped 3. How bad are Rath gems in this game?

I got one off a shiny on my very first HR fight with a Rathalos! :v:

I'm pretty sure this means I'm never seeing one again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can anyone who's played both 3DS and WiiU versions of 3-Ultimate comment on their preference on the visuals and frame rate? I've got the 3DS now and playing it with 3D off at what appears to be twice the frame rate of Tri is giving me the ecstasy-shivers, though the font I can live without. How much slowdown is there in full HD on the console?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Level Slide posted:

Are there any better places to get Hercudromes? I've been using the Flooded Forest, but that only produces 1-2 per trip. Maybe 3 if one of my little buddies manages to grab one.
I reviewed the guide and HR Flooded Forest was what I saw had the best chances. Make sure you're searching in 2, 4, 7, and 10. The guide says there's a hidden spot in area 6 with a 32% drop rate but I don't understand what a hidden bug spot is and I couldn't find it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Can anyone who's played both 3DS and WiiU versions of 3-Ultimate comment on their preference on the visuals and frame rate? I've got the 3DS now and playing it with 3D off at what appears to be twice the frame rate of Tri is giving me the ecstasy-shivers, though the font I can live without. How much slowdown is there in full HD on the console?

Did you disable the 3D from the menu? It helps with the font problems apparently.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Eruonen posted:

Did you disable the 3D from the menu? It helps with the font problems apparently.

Font still looks like poo poo even when you do this.

Framerate is better though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah the font doesn't look any different with the 3d option disabled. You get used to it, though. It's not the worst thing about the 3DS version (camera).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah the font doesn't look any different with the 3d option disabled. You get used to it, though. It's not the worst thing about the 3DS version (camera).

I've actually gotten pretty used to the camera in the 3DS version. Just make sure you have it set to focus on the large monster in the area and you shouldn't have a problem when hunting anything on land. Fighting in the water is definitely harder but it's still doable, at least at my current point in the game. If it gets too hard I make pick up a circle pad pro but so far I don't feel the need to.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Get a Circle Pad Pro. Solved all my camera issues.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The crimson qurupeco quest is the hardest one in early HR. Can't you loving call something that isn't evil joe? :negative:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 30, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Norns posted:

Get a Circle Pad Pro. Solved all my camera issues.

This is going to sound really loving stupid, but how do I get the game to recognize the CPP?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is going to sound really loving stupid, but how do I get the game to recognize the CPP?

Enable it at the main menu where you choose new/continue/options and stuff

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the options on the main screen.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

What the above guys said. Also when you close the 3DS, after a while it disconnects. Reconnect it with the L or R buttons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:doh: Thanks guys.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The game even tries to auto-detect it, too. Right when you turn the game on.

I ran into something weird a few times with the save transfer, where it appeared that my save going from the 3DS to the Wii U wasn't completely up to date. On my 3DS I upgraded my breath core hammer to the lava core, which cost 50000 zenny, about 60 earth crystals, 3 elder dragon blood, etc. After that I hit the "quit game" option from the select button menu and used that option to save the game because it'll ask if you want to save on the way out.

Then I transferred the save into the Wii U and saw that I still have those 60 earth crystals and 50000 zenny, and my hammer was back to being the breath core again, and some decorations I applied to a set of armor was not on them either.

Maybe there's some kind of weirdness about using the quit command to save? I'm not sure.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Anyone know if Lagi will eat drugged meat?

For that matter, what monsters will eat dropped meat and under what conditions? I know the following:

-G.Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi will eat when they are drooling
-Deviljho will eat when drooling
-Rathian will eat if she has not yet detected you (I think)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Machai posted:

Anyone know if Lagi will eat drugged meat?

For that matter, what monsters will eat dropped meat and under what conditions? I know the following:

-G.Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi will eat when they are drooling
-Deviljho will eat when drooling
-Rathian will eat if she has not yet detected you (I think)

I think any monster who eats to recover stamina will eat any kind of meat you set down when low on stamina (sometimes with the requirement of not actively being in a fight, sometimes not), and that no monster that doesn't eat to recover stamina will eat any. So, for example, a ludroth wouldn't take the bait.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bussamove posted:

I got one off a shiny on my very first HR fight with a Rathalos! :v:

I'm pretty sure this means I'm never seeing one again.

I just got two Zinogre gems from my first one!

Did they make ancient shards G-rank only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Man there must be some trick to the hammer that I'm not getting. I know about the charge move activated with R, but even with that it takes soooo much longer to kill monsters like Barroth in HR compared to my dual blades like bloodwing and firestorm. They both have attack power 196 while I also use the breathcore hammer with an attack power of 782. I'm much more familliar with the dual blades so maybe that's just it, but is there a technique with the hammer that I'm missing?

• Locked thread