Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

SouthLAnd posted:

That car is badass. I'm kind of kicking myself in the rear end for getting a new 4 cylinder car and not a used CV. There's so many around here in the Detroit area.

I like the wheels. Please tell me you have a nice burbly exhaust on it.

Where are you at in Metro D? I'm up in Madison Heights but I drive down around Detroit/Warren border while working at Jimmy Johns and into downtown Detroit for my job with the Tigers. If you can handle a wrench I'd buy you a six pack of your brew to give me some help with the barge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Nothing works incorrectly but I've got gigantic harnesses out the rear end going to nowhere in the trunk and under the dash.
That's stock, where they plug in the lightbars, radios, coffepot, etc. Also the wiring's the same on every P71 and possibly every Panther; pull off the A-pillar trim, and there are the power wires for the spotlights, whether you have 'em or not.

quote:

Anyone know if Carfax works on retired cruisers for shits and giggles?

Did for mine. Apparently it had the rear axle and one wheel replaced at one point. I want to know the story behind that. Probably boring -- I think there was a recall on the '03 differential -- but given that they replaced the axle and wheel at the same time, I'm imagining the trooper whipping it over the median and leaving a half-shaft behind on a stump.

On the misfire issue: I get a recurring CEL because the #7 and #8 spark plug holes fill up with water. Not sure if it's a leaky intake gasket or the cowl issue mentioned, but if I pull the coils, dry out the bores, and grease up the boots it goes away for a few months until the water works its way in again.

Also a verbal warning about tint limits, I'm like one degree below normal. They were checking the car out already when I was at the pawn shop and decided to light me up on leaving.
I got pulled over for a tint check once. Most cheerful cop I've ever met, didn't even ask for my license and insurance, just lit me up, rummaged around in his backseat for a solid minute after we stopped, then came up and said "Hi! Highway Patrol. Noticed your windows looked a little dark. Roll it up a bit?"
Then he put the little density meter over the edge of the window, pushed the button, and said "Nope, right on the limit. Have a nice day!"

As near as I can figure he just suddenly remembered he had the tool and wanted to try it out. Or I'd met him at a wreck or something when I worked for the newspaper and he was just loving with me.

Edit: P71 tip: if your dome lights don't come on when you open the front doors and you want them to (or vice versa), there's a single-wire blue plug under the glovebox near the big accessory harness. Either plug it in or unplug it to change the mode of the dome light.

If your dome lights don't come on when you open the back doors, the previous owner didn't know about that plug and probably just cut the wires.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 23, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Didn't Fleetwood75 or someone have a drag Crown Vic a few years back, it might have been a more boxy generation?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Didn't Fleetwood75 or someone have a drag Crown Vic a few years back, it might have been a more boxy generation?

Yeah, he had a bunch of SVT parts on it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a shot between whatever rim I had before and the proper rim. I don't know what it came off of other than its a Ford 5 lug and 16". I did get it from the CV graveyard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The left one looks like the offset is further out so it's from an 03+ Vic.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kimbo305 posted:

Can anyone ID these alternate small-diameter hubcaps? I've only ever seen them on my P71 -- everyone else has the flatter kind.

I miss that car :'(
I think those are the older style. They changed to the flatter ones when they changed the wheel offset to fit a half-decent suspension in '03. I think I read somewhere that the tall small-diameter ones were also an option on the Ranger.

leica posted:

The left one looks like the offset is further out so it's from an 03+ Vic.

To me the offset still looks a bit deep for an '03+, mine barely have any dish to them. And the holes on all the '03+ wheels I've seen are fewer, more oblong, and go closer to the rim. I think it's a truck wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I think you're right, could very well be a truck wheel.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Laptops finally up and running so I'll be making a better op. in the mean time does anyone know if the cv steering wheel needs a puller to remove? I want to replace my funky wheel on friday when i get paid.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because you guys are all bastards, I have been looking at retired cruisers.....

What do you guys do about the hole in the middle of the seats in the front? Do you find a new center console or what? I was just curious!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
EBay has some nice looking center consoles but I can't attest to the quality, its been on my mind too.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Laptops finally up and running so I'll be making a better op. in the mean time does anyone know if the cv steering wheel needs a puller to remove? I want to replace my funky wheel on friday when i get paid.

Service manual says you need a puller and calls it a differential bearing puller, part number 205-116 (T77F-4220-B1).

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Because you guys are all bastards, I have been looking at retired cruisers.....

What do you guys do about the hole in the middle of the seats in the front? Do you find a new center console or what? I was just curious!

I just left the gap there in mine. Makes for a nice, easily accessed spot for my camera bag and tripod :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The 93-95 Taurus/Sable center console looks good in CVs (never mind the non matching colors). I've seen the shifter cutout converted into a handy storage bin.

Info Here

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SouthLAnd posted:

The 93-95 Taurus/Sable center console looks good in CVs (never mind the non matching colors). I've seen the shifter cutout converted into a handy storage bin.

Info Here

Ah yes, the oft-overlooked upside to parts-bin interiors: everything is interchangable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also if you can find an LX Sport or Towncar console it's a perfect fit.

Or grab a nice split bench :whatup:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Delivery McGee posted:

I think those are the older style. They changed to the flatter ones when they changed the wheel offset to fit a half-decent suspension in '03. I think I read somewhere that the tall small-diameter ones were also an option on the Ranger.

Yup, I had those same mini-caps on my near-base '03 Ranger.

edit: I had a full set of leather seats out of a Marquis in my '93. The plugs for the power seats were already there, it was just a few bolts then plug-and-play.

edit2: vvvvv drat right. With the benches at both ends that car fit six in sufficient comfort for road trips, plus luggage. My record was twelve on a Hooters run in college, but that involved the trunk.

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I keep getting tempted to replace my two front buckets with a bench but then I am reminded that as bad as I slide in the stock seats in my P71 during hard cornering, a bench would be infinitely worse :v:

The nice benches have dual folding armrests in the middle which are solid enough to plant against during corners. It's certainly not as good as a bucket, but you don't slide around as bad as you'd think.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 26, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Velour split bench is the correct seat for sexytime. And/or 8 passengers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Splizwarf posted:

Velour split bench is the correct seat for sexytime. And/or 8 passengers.

Not gonna lie, I keep getting tempted to replace my two front buckets with a bench but then I am reminded that as bad as I slide in the stock seats in my P71 during hard cornering, a bench would be infinitely worse :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Just keep that seatbelt nice and tight and plant your off-hand in the ceiling. It's surprisingly effective. The extension rods in the passenger's headrest are good too, hook your thumb in the further one and wrap your fingers over the far corner of the seat. Either of these positions will allow you to corner like a psychopath.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

quote:

corner like a psychopath.

New thread title?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Obviously, you guys are still asshats. I keep looking at these cars and I kinda think I want one. Might be a good beater....

What about transferring the seats out of the seats and console out of a town car? I just really like leather seating (I know, I am a huge prima donna).

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Big Meat in a Bench Seat: a 14 INCH production

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Obviously, you guys are still asshats. I keep looking at these cars and I kinda think I want one. Might be a good beater....

Same...commuting in the Miata is everything I could have wanted, and also really cramped. Those things look like they have lots of legroom.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm 6'2'' and can adjust the seat far back enough that its physically difficult to drive and still have room for someone behind me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just crested 1,000 trouble free miles in the cop car. Its, uh...a wierd feeling for me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just crested 1,000 trouble free miles in the cop car. Its, uh...a wierd feeling for me.

Even my most horribly abused used Fords always went at least 4,000 miles between catastrophic breakdowns.

And they were Taurus's. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What about transferring the seats out of the seats and console out of a town car? I just really like leather seating (I know, I am a huge prima donna).

Town car parts are pretty much plug and play.

Kinda nice, huh? I've had my '02 for 7 years and 60k miles, and the only relatively "major" problem I've had was an axle leaking that ended up having to be replaced recently. It's at over 140k now so I guess that's normal.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm assuming it will work just fine but nice to know ahead of time. Will spare tire hold down equipment from the aero cars work on the whale body style? I can't imagine that being something that changed just because. Also how/where do you stow the tools and jack normally, I didn't see anything obvious in my trunk.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

I'm assuming it will work just fine but nice to know ahead of time. Will spare tire hold down equipment from the aero cars work on the whale body style? I can't imagine that being something that changed just because. Also how/where do you stow the tools and jack normally, I didn't see anything obvious in my trunk.

I think the tools and jack go either under the spare or in the wheel well.

Ford has downloadable pdfs of the owners manual on their web site, if you're interested. Here's the page for '02 CV.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2002&make=Ford&model=Crown%20Victoria

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also I found one of those rare sho center consoles at pick n pull.

:(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That right there is why I don't have a spare head. "If I don't pull the whole thing, the rest of the engine will be ruined for the next guy!" :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is basically the only reason I don't have a V6 SHO intake mani in my garage art collection. :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Get one from the Lynnwood pick n pull. That console wasn't yanked, it was kicked apart. There were foot marks on it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The rust that forms in valvetrains from rainwater is a special specific shade of orange that is bright and catches the eye. It's the color of sadness and regret.

I've never (for various reasons) been able to take a whole engine home, but I will never be that guy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I went to a yard once that would douse the top of the block in half a can of nox-rust of anyone pulled a head, same with the end of the tranny or engine if the other were taken.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Turtle Wax headlight kits on sale hell yeah.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Turtle Wax headlight kits on sale hell yeah.

Great. Now put laminx on it or you'll be doing this again in a month :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought the kits came with something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I did the Turtle wax kit about a year ago and it's even worse than before now. I'm thinking about just buying new lenses, anyone know who makes/sells them cheap?