Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

Yuan Shao during the alliance? Liu Bei when talking about heroes? Dong Zhou before trying to kill him? Just some guesses.
I guess I'll try some of those missions and look for it, but for some of those generic quotes, who says them appears to be random, so it could be difficult to test.

I bought the first 200 yen bit of DLC for DW8, a reenactment of some stage from DW3 it says. It was totally lame, just a small, generic looking map with some enemies and no unique dialog or anything. I bought a lot of the WO3 DLC, because it was pretty drat fun with lots of silly scenarios, but it seems that won't happen this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

After all, who does Cao Cao ever speak up to?

Maybe if he's accompanying you in Shosei mode?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Maybe if he's accompanying you in Shosei mode?
Maybe it depends on who your player character is, but I've had Cao Cao as my assistant with a few different characters and he always uses the down talk. Like I said, the game is recording which lines he has used so far and they are all down.

edit: here's what I'm talking about :

All those 対目下 mean down talking. I just played a bit as Liu Bei to see if he would talk up to him, but nope. Why would he anyway?

edit: well I'll be, he talks up to Yuan Shao and Dong Zhou. Anyway I found a really fast way to test it, in the Shosei mode base. I'm gonna try a lot of characters.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 24, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, despite how she looks, Xiaoqiao talks down to everyone below the level of king or better, so her uptalking is limited to Sun Jian, Sun Ce, Liu Bei, Liu Shan, and so on. She talks down to Lianshi, so I guess queen level isn't good enough, but up to Shangxiang, so I guess queens of other kingdoms are okay? She talks down to loving Guan Yu and Lu Bu.

This is really amusing.

edit: everyone below king level seems to talk up to Shangxiang. Not Sima Yi though, arrogant prick.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 24, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not entirely surprised in Lianshi's case, as Lianshi was never made Empress in her lifetime, only posthumously.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Charles Martel posted:

I'm enjoying the Wei story mode in DW7 so far, but that stages seem to go by much quicker and seem more linear and smaller than going through DW3's Musou Mode. I liked the slower pace and "bigger" feel of DW3 better that got me hooked on the series in the first place.

Does DW7's Conquest mode scratch that itch, or would I find that feeling from another Dynasty Warriors title?

Conquest mode is more of the same and some of the maps are even smaller scale. The closest you get now to the older stages structure is probably 7 Empires, non-skirmish battles are mostly just an objective and a bunch of bases in between you and it, but they're still fairly fast paced. In fact about 50% of the time my officers finished the stage while I was pissing about taking over some pointless base in the middle of nowhere.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sakurazuka posted:

Conquest mode is more of the same and some of the maps are even smaller scale. The closest you get now to the older stages structure is probably 7 Empires, non-skirmish battles are mostly just an objective and a bunch of bases in between you and it, but they're still fairly fast paced. In fact about 50% of the time my officers finished the stage while I was pissing about taking over some pointless base in the middle of nowhere.

Bah. I wonder if 8 is any different, though I doubt it.

Oh well, I can always track down the older ones.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Charles Martel posted:

Bah. I wonder if 8 is any different, though I doubt it.

Oh well, I can always track down the older ones.

I haven't actually played Samurai Warrior 3 but I think this might be what you're looking for. I played Chronicles for the 3DS and it definitely was a lot more like old school DW games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

I haven't actually played Samurai Warrior 3 but I think this might be what you're looking for. I played Chronicles for the 3DS and it definitely was a lot more like old school DW games.
I can't recommend SW3 at all. Something is just off about almost everything it does. Among other things, your allied officers all seem to have a third as many hit points as usual and will die off in droves unless you are right there protecting them, even mission critical ones. It was a very frustrating game that I sold after a week or so.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
My pain problem with SW3 was that it felt incredibly linear. Closed doors everywhere. You couldn't rush the battle with a death rush to the commander or just buy playing assassin and murdering every officer. It made replaying a stage feel the same every time.

I've been playing DW3 with XL for the first time, and it's such a different experience from 6 and 7 - mooks are a serious threat that needs to be dealt with, your allies seem to matter(as a distraction from the hyper-aggressive mooks if nothing else). It feels more like a war and struggle than the PC is the unstoppable anime slaughtering hero who takes out a 1000 mooks with every weapon swing.

One thing I don't miss is your combo string being tied to your weapon, since it makes that weapon matter so much. I remember when I played through DW5, I'd take a new character on normal through Guan Yu's Escape and that'd get them a 6-hit weapon pretty easily. Is there a good stage for this in 3?

Also, I've cleared 3 Musuo modes and I still only have 2 bodyguards? How do you level up the amount you get in a unit? I distinctly remember having a 8-archer death squad flanking me when I played this way the hell back.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

One thing I don't miss is your combo string being tied to your weapon, since it makes that weapon matter so much. I remember when I played through DW5, I'd take a new character on normal through Guan Yu's Escape and that'd get them a 6-hit weapon pretty easily. Is there a good stage for this in 3?

Also, I've cleared 3 Musuo modes and I still only have 2 bodyguards? How do you level up the amount you get in a unit? I distinctly remember having a 8-archer death squad flanking me when I played this way the hell back.
I remember He-Fei castle for wei having a guaranteed 3rd weapon drop in a box somewhere, I think in that trap in the middle. It's been a long while though so I might be wrong.

Also, bodyguards are tied to each officer individually so you can have 8 on one guy but the default 2 for everyone else.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I've been playing DW3 with XL for the first time, and it's such a different experience from 6 and 7 - mooks are a serious threat that needs to be dealt with, your allies seem to matter(as a distraction from the hyper-aggressive mooks if nothing else). It feels more like a war and struggle than the PC is the unstoppable anime slaughtering hero who takes out a 1000 mooks with every weapon swing.

This is a better way of explaining my distinction so far between DW3 and DW7. Taking my time through a large level while still having a challenge and a small sense of urgency if you really start dragging your rear end is both relaxing and addictive to me. DW3 just really seemed to strike that chord well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't recommend SW3 at all. Something is just off about almost everything it does. Among other things, your allied officers all seem to have a third as many hit points as usual and will die off in droves unless you are right there protecting them, even mission critical ones. It was a very frustrating game that I sold after a week or so.

I never touched 3 and now I'm glad. It's funny considering I'm one of the thread's biggest advocates of SW:Chronicles on the 3DS.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I just platted Basara 3 :hehe:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just platted Basara 3 :hehe:

You must go to sleep with Mitsunari screaming "IIIEEEEYAAASUUUUUUUUU..." echoing about in your head.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sometimes, when I close my eyes, I can still hear the sand samurai's lines as I try to speed run his stages for higher level weapons.

THIS LAND OF FANTASY, THIS LAND OF WIND AND SAND IS MINE!

Someday I will buy Utage and HD Collection. The 5 Basara platinums must be collected.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, don't play the last "what if" Wei mission in DW8 unless you want to kill (not just force to retreat) every single officer in the Shu army, one by one. That was kind of a depressing fight.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, don't play the last "what if" Wei mission in DW8 unless you want to kill (not just force to retreat) every single officer in the Shu army, one by one. That was kind of a depressing fight.

:stare: Wow, Koei really has a hate boner for Shu.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are any of the dream mode missions in FoTNS2 what ifs or is it just Koei trying to be creative without actually challenging the canon. Because it feels somewhat pointless.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Are any of the dream mode missions in FoTNS2 what ifs or is it just Koei trying to be creative without actually challenging the canon. Because it feels somewhat pointless.

It's all pretty pointless. After a few characters I just cheated my way through by plugging in a second controller and used a Level 50 Raoh to steamroll every stage for the other characters and skipped all the cutscenes.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

5er posted:

You must go to sleep with Mitsunari screaming "IIIEEEEYAAASUUUUUUUUU..." echoing about in your head.

Luckily I did most of the work years ago when I first played, I only had to get his 2 special weapons. That and when I'm grinding I usually mute the game and listen to something else

Policenaut posted:

Sometimes, when I close my eyes, I can still hear the sand samurai's lines as I try to speed run his stages for higher level weapons.

THIS LAND OF FANTASY, THIS LAND OF WIND AND SAND IS MINE!

Someday I will buy Utage and HD Collection. The 5 Basara platinums must be collected.

I dunno about Utage, but I do want that HD collection..

I found the Karasu Castle stage better for weapons/xp, I had a crazy run of getting 6 fugitives in a row with my lowest level guy (like 70 something), with the xp items equipped he gained 4-5 levels each time. I also got really lucky getting daimyo helms while working on other stuff. What a cool game, I'm glad I came back to it. Did they make events skippable in Utage?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

:stare: Wow, Koei really has a hate boner for Shu.
That's what struck me about 7 and 8 -- personally I thought that Shu's own story being so over the top as to make them dislikeable was intentional.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Is there any way to make the endgame of DW7E a bit more... fun and varied? I get about halfway through conquering the continent and end up inevitably becoming Brave while I go through a constant cycle of defend, invade, defend, invade. Should I be pissing around with other options a bit more, or something?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Luckily I did most of the work years ago when I first played, I only had to get his 2 special weapons. That and when I'm grinding I usually mute the game and listen to something else

I dunno about Utage, but I do want that HD collection..

I found the Karasu Castle stage better for weapons/xp, I had a crazy run of getting 6 fugitives in a row with my lowest level guy (like 70 something), with the xp items equipped he gained 4-5 levels each time. I also got really lucky getting daimyo helms while working on other stuff. What a cool game, I'm glad I came back to it. Did they make events skippable in Utage?

Utage is pretty ballin. I still haven't finished it though.

I think I got mine for about $50-ish. It's probably cheaper now.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's happening! PS3, early 2014.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You know what's weird to me? Even the most Japanese (or Chinese) game series like this, still get their sequel numbers in English. DW8 in Japanese is pronounced "Shin Sangoku Musou Seven".

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know what's weird to me? Even the most Japanese (or Chinese) game series like this, still get their sequel numbers in English. DW8 in Japanese is pronounced "Shin Sangoku Musou Seven".

Well, ever since Squaresoft abandoned the glorious tradition of loving with our filing systems, someone had to pick up the slack.

Stelas posted:

Is there any way to make the endgame of DW7E a bit more... fun and varied? I get about halfway through conquering the continent and end up inevitably becoming Brave while I go through a constant cycle of defend, invade, defend, invade. Should I be pissing around with other options a bit more, or something?

I was wondering this too, like how do you get to be Emperor, etc.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

What?! How?! They ran out of Sengoku history!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Obviously time travel will be involved.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SirPhoebos posted:

I was wondering this too, like how do you get to be Emperor, etc.

GameFAQs says you need 6 Affluent fame as Ruler, then there will be an option to claim the Imperial Seal or do something with it. After doing that, you get the option to declare yourself Emperor.

Getting Orderly to 6 apparently lets you take the Emperor into custody/protection.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Have they done the battle of Osaka castle in 1614 yet? I don't suppose they're thinking of expanding that into an entire game...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

quote:

Keywords for the fourth game include “Sengoku Creation” and “Enter a New Chapter.”

And "skippable cutscenes"

PLEASE

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Policenaut posted:

Basara 4 will be a completely straight-laced re-telling of James Clavell's Shogun.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CaptainRat posted:

Basara 4 will be a completely straight-laced re-telling of James Clavell's Shogun.

They should throw in a couple of Giant Enemy Crabs for good measure.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I played a bunch of 3 back in the day, and I seem to remember Guan Yu's Escape being pretty good there, too. Or maybe I just used it for some quick stat grinding.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Charles Martel posted:

This is a better way of explaining my distinction so far between DW3 and DW7. Taking my time through a large level while still having a challenge and a small sense of urgency if you really start dragging your rear end is both relaxing and addictive to me. DW3 just really seemed to strike that chord well.

Y'know, this took me a while to realize (having played 3 when it came out, and just recently playing 7), but they really have ramped things up to kind of a ridiculous degree. I remember my very first mission in 3, I didn't really know how to play, so I went around the first map of Zhao Yun's Musou mode killing EVERYTHING I SAW. Eventually all of my allied officers were dead, it was down to just me and Liu Bei, and I had to systematically carve my way through every single enemy officer. It took me an hour or more, and at the end of it all I had a kill score of over a thousand. "Ho-ho-holy poo poo," I thought, "I just killed a thousand dudes! Awesome!" Of course I eventually realized that you could pretty much ignore the waves of mooks - the only important targets were enemy officers - and if I recall most missions would have kill counts in the 250-500 range.

But in 7? Man, it seems like you can get 500 kills without even trying. Like, that's the baseline, and 1000 kills is downright common. Yawn, just another thousand corpses. I mean, I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing - the game is all about mowing down waves of faceless mooks, after all - but at this point enemy troops don't even feel like, y'know, enemies. Anything that isn't an officer is a walking screaming resource - wipe out these fifty dudes (it'll only take a quick combo) and pop! power-ups and meat buns and all the Musou gauge you could ever want! Well, except for archers.

Archerrrsss... :argh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sengoku Basara 4 teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqY-qjvOA_k

I think those are silhouettes of Tokugawa and Takeda at the end?

edit: For kicks, watch this live crowd reaction video to see how absolutely apeshit everyone went when this trailer hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhokvd6Rig

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 1, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Meme Emulator posted:

They should throw in a couple of Giant Enemy Crabs for good measure.

:golfclap: Very nice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If anyone sees a giant, punching Nobunyaga named Wiggles running around, that's my dude that I released on the world.
He will almost certainly be spamming musou.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can anybody explain what the Harp's switch attack is / how it's supposed to work in DW7? The description is maddeningly vague; something like "You can reflect sound waves off of fans created by the switch attack"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can anybody explain what the Harp's switch attack is / how it's supposed to work in DW7? The description is maddeningly vague; something like "You can reflect sound waves off of fans created by the switch attack"?

You bounce the Harp's Square attacks off the whirlwind from the Fan's switch attack.