Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
If you don't need anything else from Linux and don't want to use emulators, just use OpenELEC. It's super lightweight and is basically Linux XBMC. It takes about 15 seconds to install to a USB, another 15 seconds to install to whatever media and in the end if you decide to change your decision, you've wasted all of about 30 seconds.

edit: VV, I've never really heard of driver issues with OpenELEC, but whatever works for you I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That actually answers my question. I thought that OpenELEC was going to be pretty scaled down, but I wanted to confirm. I'll go the XBMCbuntu route, since it will have a better chance of having drivers that I might need in the future. Thanks!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone using a raspberry pi as their HTPC? Any major annoyances? I've been reading any files with DTS audio cause it to stutter..

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mewse posted:

Anyone using a raspberry pi as their HTPC? Any major annoyances? I've been reading any files with DTS audio cause it to stutter..

Using openelec on mine. It's been great so far. I don't use DTS, so can't comment on that. Mild annoyance with how quickly it scrolls though, but for the amount you pay, it's an amazing device.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

mewse posted:

I use OpenELEC on mine and love it. It'll play almost anything I have for it, although I usually use my AD-10 for 99% of video watching. Its got a little USB wifi card on it, so its stashed behind my stereo and is as simple as choosing it on my AirPlay list using any device. I get bonus points when a friend comes over and it just "works" when we wanna listen to their music.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That actually answers my question. I thought that OpenELEC was going to be pretty scaled down, but I wanted to confirm. I'll go the XBMCbuntu route, since it will have a better chance of having drivers that I might need in the future. Thanks!

I fear I may have steered you the wrong way. I did some testing and 1080p content was pretty choppy on my A3500 with XBMCBuntu. In OpenELEC it was absolutely flawless. The goose stress test (honk) plays as well as I've seen it on any of my beefier computers. It's like butter.

Go get the OpenELEC Fusion install right now. Also, the wireless drivers work just fine.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fillerbunny posted:

I fear I may have steered you the wrong way. I did some testing and 1080p content was pretty choppy on my A3500 with XBMCBuntu. In OpenELEC it was absolutely flawless. The goose stress test (honk) plays as well as I've seen it on any of my beefier computers. It's like butter.

Go get the OpenELEC Fusion install right now. Also, the wireless drivers work just fine.
Hmm, well, I haven't committed yet, so I'll test XBMCbuntu with the media I have and I'll see how it goes. I'm still waiting on a WIn7 license from a friend as well, so I'll be able to try all of the options. Thanks for the heads up.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hmm, well, I haven't committed yet, so I'll test XBMCbuntu with the media I have and I'll see how it goes. I'm still waiting on a WIn7 license from a friend as well, so I'll be able to try all of the options. Thanks for the heads up.
Just a heads up, DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD won't work on your a3500 in either XBMCBuntu or Openelec - the Linux AMD drivers don't support it. Regular DTS and Dolby will work fine, and it obviously doesn't even matter if you're just using the TV speakers, but if you absolutely need multi-channel lossless audio from your blu-ray rips, you'll need to run Windows.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Standard TV sound is fine with me - I'm not an A/V snob.

I'm bummed because I can't find the IR receivers I had bought years ago. Means I have to spend more money now. Sigh.

I light fires
May 12, 2001

edit..poo poo I thought I was in the xbmc thread

I light fires fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 22, 2013

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Quick AV question:

I just set up a new desktop and connected it to my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR607) using HDMI. I can enable the TV as a 2nd monitor and send it the audio signal, no problem. However, oftentimes I want to send only an audio signal without having to go through the process of disabling my usual 2nd monitor, turning on and enabling the TV, etc. The receiver isn't listed under "Playback devices" unless I go through that whole process. Is there any way that I am missing to force Windows 7 to send an audio signal to the receiver without going through that whole process?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

this thread is huuuuuuge!

is there a sort of defacto standard for a solid HTPC build?
Here's my deal - I love a good blu-ray experience, but I also have a lot of - as they say around the web - "backup media" that I watch. I use Plex on my android phone and my GF uses it on her laptop, and it's pretty great for those. What's the shortest route to getting it onto my TV, and some system for automatically downloading shows as they "appear"? Currently I ferry things back and forth with a USB stick to my Oppo bluray player... if I could sell the oppo and just build a HTPC to serve all the needs in one shot, that would be pretty awesome. But from what I've heard a HTPC doesn't really compare to the Oppo when it comes to upscaling. Anyone have experience with this? I was hoping to buy a receiver that doesn't have upscaling but from what I have seen/heard, the vast majority of software just doubles the pixels to get an SD file to fill the screen... which kinda sucks. Is this outdated info, or is it still an issue?

EDIT: I would love to build a nice wooden case for my HTPC - pipe dream or possible to do??

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 24, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Personally I use a i3 based HTPC, and it's plenty powerful to run iTunes home sharing, all my Newsgroup stuff, XBMC and anything else I throw at it. There's lots of specialty lower power or appliance builds in this thread, but I've had zero issues with a run of the mill i3 based computer handling everything.

I can't help with the up-scaling questions, as the only SD media we consume is my kids DVDs and I could give a poo poo what they look like.

one1two2three3
Mar 22, 2013

Guitarchitect posted:

this thread is huuuuuuge!

is there a sort of defacto standard for a solid HTPC build?
Here's my deal - I love a good blu-ray experience, but I also have a lot of - as they say around the web - "backup media" that I watch. I use Plex on my android phone and my GF uses it on her laptop, and it's pretty great for those. What's the shortest route to getting it onto my TV, and some system for automatically downloading shows as they "appear"? Currently I ferry things back and forth with a USB stick to my Oppo bluray player... if I could sell the oppo and just build a HTPC to serve all the needs in one shot, that would be pretty awesome. But from what I've heard a HTPC doesn't really compare to the Oppo when it comes to upscaling. Anyone have experience with this? I was hoping to buy a receiver that doesn't have upscaling but from what I have seen/heard, the vast majority of software just doubles the pixels to get an SD file to fill the screen... which kinda sucks. Is this outdated info, or is it still an issue?

EDIT: I would love to build a nice wooden case for my HTPC - pipe dream or possible to do??

Read back a dozen pages and look at the Zotac AD-10/AD-12s, or the Foxconns as they come with a small SSD sometimes. Usually the good deals get posted, but you can also sometimes find them on SA-Mart. They're usually a good deal even without being on special. I personally have a 1tb drive hooked up to my AD-10 and share it via Windows 8, so I can either send them there or use that for downloads. There's also OpenELEC on a thumb drive/SD Card if you want it more "appliance" type.

For your content question take a look at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I think this is the place to ask this question.

Is it possible to have two simultaenous sound outputs using Windows 7? I have my speakers connected straight to my motherboard, the monitor connected to the GPU with a DVI cable and the TV connected to the GPU with a HDMI cable.
Sometimes i want to browse or play poo poo when the GF is watching a movie or Netflix, but i can't get the TV to play only the sound related to the video, and my speakers/headphones to play all the other poo poo.

I'd like to know if what i am trying is even possible.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I put together an ad10 not long ago, but am now kicking myself because if I'd known these would be around http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451&tab_idx=1 I would have just gone Android for my TV instead. Now that there are Android apps that can play .avi vOv

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

AD12 for $220 or Core i3-3225 w/ HD 4000 graphics in a Foxconn R30 case for $300?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Does anyway know if the new Roku can play mkv files directly without having to transcode them when using Plex? I know you can put them on a USB stick and play them through there but that's too much work.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Illegal Username posted:

I think this is the place to ask this question.

Is it possible to have two simultaenous sound outputs using Windows 7? I have my speakers connected straight to my motherboard, the monitor connected to the GPU with a DVI cable and the TV connected to the GPU with a HDMI cable.
Sometimes i want to browse or play poo poo when the GF is watching a movie or Netflix, but i can't get the TV to play only the sound related to the video, and my speakers/headphones to play all the other poo poo.

I'd like to know if what i am trying is even possible.

It is, you just set the sound output in your video player to the TV. But that won't help you for Netflix

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Daric posted:

Does anyway know if the new Roku can play mkv files directly without having to transcode them when using Plex? I know you can put them on a USB stick and play them through there but that's too much work.

It can't.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
Got an AD12 and am trying to install openelec to sdcard and while openelec install will pick up the sd card, once I install the bios isn't picking it up as a bootable device. Any settings I'm missing in the bios I need to hit?

mewse
May 2, 2006

My raspberry pi just arrived and I have it set up with openelec, it's pretty cool so far but it seemed to hard lock a couple times updating TV shows.

Had to write some values to some file called advancedsettings.xml to get high res artwork..

I spent $22 on a class 10 16GB sd card and I am regretting it:

pre:
openelec:~ # df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
none                    185.1M     87.4M     97.7M  47% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p1          124.7M     96.1M     28.7M  77% /flash
/dev/mmcblk0p2          755.9M     29.1M    688.5M   4% /storage
/dev/loop0               87.4M     87.4M         0 100% /
none                    186.5M         0    186.5M   0% /dev/shm
As far as I can tell it's using like a gig of the card and could run on a 2GB SD card just fine.

e:

additional point: the HDMI CEC support is flawless, and if my tv remote gets frustrating I can connect with the smartphone app (for typing and arcane keypresses)

mewse fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 28, 2013

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Not sure if this should go in the HTCP thread or the XBMC thread. If this has been discussed, I missed it.

Is there a foxconn box that will support DTS-HD when used with Openelec? I currently have an Acer Aspire Revo, but would like to put it back to work as a windows machine elsewhere in the house, and just have a dedicated HTCP box that runs Openelec., and can support HD audio. All my drives will be connected directly via USB.

thanks

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
So I got a new tv, 50 inch led-lcd whatever. Connected all the cables and started it up.
After scanning the channels I switch to hdmi to check how xbmc looked. Alright, correct resolution. Looks really nice.
Then for some reason I press left on the tv's remote. And xbmc reacts to it. What? How?
So I can control Xbmc with the tv's remote. Works really well.

So easy after years of messing around with keyboards, wireless mice, xbox controllers and mobilephone apps.

I got a raspberry pi running Openelec. Connected to a onkyo receiver and then to the tv.
The volume button on the remote also controls the volume on the receiver.

I didn't have to change any settings at all, it just works.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Azrial posted:

Got an AD12 and am trying to install openelec to sdcard and while openelec install will pick up the sd card, once I install the bios isn't picking it up as a bootable device. Any settings I'm missing in the bios I need to hit?

I had to disable uefi boot in the bios of my Intel nuc.. Try looking for that or something like enable legacy boot

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Vaniljcola posted:

So I got a new tv, 50 inch led-lcd whatever. Connected all the cables and started it up.
After scanning the channels I switch to hdmi to check how xbmc looked. Alright, correct resolution. Looks really nice.
Then for some reason I press left on the tv's remote. And xbmc reacts to it. What? How?
So I can control Xbmc with the tv's remote. Works really well.

So easy after years of messing around with keyboards, wireless mice, xbox controllers and mobilephone apps.

I got a raspberry pi running Openelec. Connected to a onkyo receiver and then to the tv.
The volume button on the remote also controls the volume on the receiver.

I didn't have to change any settings at all, it just works.

Yep, the pi has HDMI-CEC support which works with XBMC. It's super nice if your TV/receiver supports it.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

evilalien posted:

Yep, the pi has HDMI-CEC support which works with XBMC. It's super nice if your TV/receiver supports it.

Most TVs and Receivers from the last couple of years support it, but they all call it something different.

The big kicker is that most Video Cards/Motherboards do NOT support it. However, you can add this CEC adapter and be set to go. It's honestly worth the $50.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Has anyone with an AD12 tried to set up HDMI-CEC? It's unclear whether or not the AD12 supports it natively, or if I should just get that adapter or something...

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 29, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Has anyone with an AD12 tried to set up HDMI-CEC? It's unclear whether or not the AD12 supports it natively, or if I should just get that adapter or something...

As far as I know, it does not support it natively. I only have an AD11 to test with and that does not show up as a CEC device.

I would get the adapter.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So I just picked up a barebones Zotac ID41 and am having major issues with 720p HD playback. Video stutters every five seconds or so, can tell if it's from buffering or processing/rendering or what. I'm preparing to roll up my sleeves and start troubleshooting things, but thought someone might have thoughts on the cause, which could be one of several things:

• Using a wireless network connection, which from reading online sounds like it has been the culprit for some folks on this front.
  • Only have 2GB of RAM (DDR3 800) in there right now, I'm sure another 2GB wouldn't hurt
  • Fresh install of Windows 7. My preference is to stay in Windows because that's what I've done w previous HTPCs and where I'm comfortable getting things how I like them, but I'd move to a different OS if other options were exhausted.
  • Using drivers that came with the box. I'll go grab updated ones from the website but doubt that that's the issue.

So out of this stuff, what's most likely, can anyone guess? Figure I'll tackle them in order, easiest thing to eliminate is the wifi by running a temporary cable, but I figured I'd ask here in case somebody immediately identifies the RAM as an issue, for example.

Thanks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rivetz posted:

So I just picked up a barebones Zotac ID41 and am having major issues with 720p HD playback. Video stutters every five seconds or so, can tell if it's from buffering or processing/rendering or what. I'm preparing to roll up my sleeves and start troubleshooting things, but thought someone might have thoughts on the cause, which could be one of several things:

• Using a wireless network connection, which from reading online sounds like it has been the culprit for some folks on this front.
  • Only have 2GB of RAM (DDR3 800) in there right now, I'm sure another 2GB wouldn't hurt
  • Fresh install of Windows 7. My preference is to stay in Windows because that's what I've done w previous HTPCs and where I'm comfortable getting things how I like them, but I'd move to a different OS if other options were exhausted.
  • Using drivers that came with the box. I'll go grab updated ones from the website but doubt that that's the issue.

So out of this stuff, what's most likely, can anyone guess? Figure I'll tackle them in order, easiest thing to eliminate is the wifi by running a temporary cable, but I figured I'd ask here in case somebody immediately identifies the RAM as an issue, for example.

Thanks.

What are you trying to play? File from over the network? Local? YouTube? Netflix?

Did yours come with an add-on antenna? I know my wireless speeds were garbage until I put mine on right.

I did some research on the Intel Atom D525 and it should be able to handle HD files with hardware acceleration.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sporadic posted:

hardware acceleration

Video card decoding would be my suspicion as well. What encoding format is the video file, and what software are you using to view it?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'll update if there are any other issues, but it looks like this was just buffering all the way related to wireless performance. My test file was a 6.5GB mkv file; copying it from the server onto the Zotac's hard drive immediately resolved the issue, file played flawlessly. There isn't an attachable antenna on this model, so I'll just go with an external USB, which presumably should fix things permanently.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Fillerbunny posted:

It's on sale right now for $125, but does not include the SSD. But you can run OpenELEC or XBMCBuntu (allegedly) from an 8GB flash drive. Otherwise there is also a 32GB SSD on NewEgg for $40.

Will this foxconn box support DTS HD via openelec?

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 31, 2013

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Cornjob posted:

Will this foxconn box support DTS HD via openelec?

Only one way to know for sure. I'll report back shortly.

edit: :thumbsup:

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 31, 2013

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Is anybody using that CEC adapter on an AD10 with Openelec?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Fillerbunny posted:

Only one way to know for sure. I'll report back shortly.

edit: :thumbsup:

Just to be clear, you have a DTS-HD capable surround receiver, and you played back DTS-HD content and heard sound? Sorry forasking, but ive had people say it works just because they saw it enabled in the menu, but didnt actually play back anything.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Cornjob posted:

Just to be clear, you have a DTS-HD capable surround receiver, and you played back DTS-HD content and heard sound? Sorry forasking, but ive had people say it works just because they saw it enabled in the menu, but didnt actually play back anything.

This is correct. I have a Sony HT-CT150, and tested output with a 1080P mkv. I made certain it was DTS when choosing my test video.

Don't worry about asking. I agree that it's important to be certain before you spend the time/money.

edit: You know what, I didn't realize there was a difference between DTS and DTS-HD, apologies. I'm not sure if I have any videos with a DTS-HD track. I'll see what I can dig up.

edit2: All right. I found a sample DTS-HD file here (http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php) and tried it out. Sound played fine. I also read that my HT-CT150 does not support DTS-HD, however, since the question was whether the A3500 could output sound from a DTS-HD encoded audio stream, I'd say that the answer is yes.

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Fillerbunny posted:

This is correct. I have a Sony HT-CT150, and tested output with a 1080P mkv. I made certain it was DTS when choosing my test video.

Don't worry about asking. I agree that it's important to be certain before you spend the time/money.

edit: You know what, I didn't realize there was a difference between DTS and DTS-HD, apologies. I'm not sure if I have any videos with a DTS-HD track. I'll see what I can dig up.

edit2: All right. I found a sample DTS-HD file here (http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php) and tried it out. Sound played fine. I also read that my HT-CT150 does not support DTS-HD, however, since the question was whether the A3500 could output sound from a DTS-HD encoded audio stream, I'd say that the answer is yes.

I wouldnt say that.

Thank you for clarifying, and trying. To clarify, I wanted to know if the foxconn hardware supported DTS-HD. What you did was decoding and downmixing, which is is different.
Any XBMC machine can decode DTS-HD and downmix to DTS if you have a digital output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
XBMC 12 will even transcode DTS/DTSHD to DD5.1