Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

The last two episodes was the best yet! Loved the parallels between the two towns. Now to wait with bated breath for two more weeks....

I've told tons of people about this podcast. Love it so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Digging this a lot. Reminds me of Blue Jam and the tv show Eerie Indiana.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This was posted in another thread and I immediately thought of Night Vale.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

maxnmona posted:

We've had a few people complain about the weather, but way more people compliment it, and we really like it, so I'm afraid it's a permanent part of the show. Fast forwarding is always possible.
Yes, please keep the weather, I really look forward to it every episode. My personal favorite is "This Too Shall Pass" by Danny Schmidt from episode 8 - anyone who likes that song should check out "Stained Glass" as well, it's pretty incredible.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
The weather is one of my favorite things, too. If mixtapes were still a thing I would make one with each song featured on Night Vale and give it to everyone I knew. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

Actually, if y'all were able to sell a CD with all the music featured on the show I'd buy the hell out of it because I'm lazy. I would also buy a Night Vale Spiderwolves team shirt or even a Desert Bluffs Sunbeams shirt.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
This is not the best video, but here's a recording of our live NYC performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUvUcJTgqA

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Amazing. Thanks for posting.

Ya'll totally didn't look like I imagined. :)

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Just stumbled on this now. Gotta say, this is now one of my fave pod casts. Totally gonna tell everyone I know to listen. Thanks for the good work. :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just listened to the pilot episode and immediately linked it to a bunch of people I know. This is an awesome concept. It really makes me miss cool anthology shows actually being a thing on TV.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Carlos :swoon:

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
This podcast is perfect.

You are perfect.

Carlos is perfect.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I love how Desert Bluffs was almost a Kafka type scenario, rather than Night Vale's more Lovecraftian setup. Cecil's disdain makes sense.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm really enjoying the podcast! It's fantastic and weird and I can't wait until Monday. The Traveller was an awesome episode (I especially enjoyed the Fringe reference regarding the ambered restaraunt), but the two-parter was stellar, as well. Keep up the good work!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Along with John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats, we now can add to our celebrity endorsers the former child actress who played Matilda in Matilda and the little girl in Mrs. Doubtfire

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=483572021691704&id=190868994277963

We are moving on up.

Next episode celebrates National Poetry Month in Night Vale style.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

maxnmona posted:

We've had a few people complain about the weather, but way more people compliment it, and we really like it, so I'm afraid it's a permanent part of the show. Fast forwarding is always possible.
Yeah, sorry, I've been through the first few and I love all of it except the weather.
I'm still laughing about hypno-cloud.

Edit: VVVV - Oh no I shall have to learn how to fast forward all over again!

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 29, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We've listened to your complaints and after careful consideration we are addressing your concerns by making the weather songs longer and more obscure.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Its not that we don't like the music, its that the music really doesnt have anything to do with the rest of the whole thing.
Would you take an episode of the Outer Limits or Twilight Zone and edit in a Beatles song?
Still good but it blows the flow of the rest of it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

OgNar posted:

Would you take an episode of the Outer Limits or Twilight Zone and edit in a Beatles song?

Pretty clearly I would.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm gonna post my probably unwanted opinion on the weather. I really like the times it plays a song I find myself enjoying and am ambivalent all the other times.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I generally listen to each episode in its virgin state, then edit out the weather segments so that I can listen to episodes at random at night, in my bed, when I should be sleeping instead.

OgNar posted:

Its not that we don't like the music, its that the music really doesnt have anything to do with the rest of the whole thing.

maxnmona posted:

Pretty clearly I would.

I appreciate the logic of the first post, and the sentiment of the second.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I don't mind the weather. At worst it's a little break between segments of the show. It also introduced me to this track, and therefore gets a free pass until it installs a brain-eating insect into my skull. So like, two weeks or so i suppose.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

maxnmona posted:

making the weather songs longer and more obscure.

Impossible. You already used that 'Ey' song by those black Danish-Swedish-Idon'tknowwhatthefuck rappers. Anything else is sort of an anticlimax now.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Gormless Gormster posted:

Impossible. You already used that 'Ey' song by those black Danish-Swedish-Idon'tknowwhatthefuck rappers. Anything else is sort of an anticlimax now.

Don't be so sure. We haven't got to the episodes with Cambodian surf rock or Hella yet.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I actually kind of look forward to the weather, I don't think about it most of the time, but when I hear "And now: Weather" I perk up a bit and smile, wondering what new ear-worm I get to listen to this week. I have yet to be disappointed. My friends think it's hilarious that the weather consists of a song. Think of it kind of like your local nightly tv newscast if the sports section was done entirely through interpretive dance. I always try to figure out what the weather in Night Vale is based on the song in the weather section. I don't always understand, but then again, I don't live there.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

numerrik posted:

Think of it kind of like your local nightly tv newscast if the sports section was done entirely through interpretive dance.
OK, this actually makes more sense and I'm digging it.

Either way, weather or no weather, I loving love this series and want more.
I've turned a few of my weirder friends onto this and they're all loving it too.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cecil sounds a lot like my uncle Scott. Love the podcast, I'm up to episode 10 or so.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I think that the weather segment is a good part of the show, but the selection of tracks has been 50/50 for me so far. There are some like The Bus Is Late which I love and immediately throw into my Foobar playlist and then there are a bunch that I don't care for at all.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I like the weather, even when I don't like it, if that makes sense. I don't think it wrecks the flow at all.

And besides, radio announcers need to take a break, after all. The weather is Cecil's only chance during the show to go to the bathroom. Do you really want Cecil to not be as smooth and sonorous as he could be because he has to pee? Have some sympathy, people.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I'm about halfway through the episodes so far and I really love the world that you've built. I don't really mind the weather. Some of the songs I've liked a lot, others I'm ambivalent towards. I actually do tend to like the more eccentric stuff more, the weirder it is, the more it seems to fit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Having met Cecil irl a couple of times now, I think someone should make a movie about Frank Zappa and cast him.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Those of you who don't want the weather are also missing that it's kind of central to how we structure the scripts. The passage of time that it allows is how we pace most episodes' climaxes. If you just edited the weather out, that part of the story wouldn't make sense.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
This is so amazing! I think I might put this on during my next Fallout: New Vegas playthrough.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
This is surprisingly good accompaniment for making out. You sort of tune it out for a bit, and then suddenly Cecil says something completely off-the-wall and weird, and you just have to stop what you're doing for a moment and catch your breath.

For example:
Her- "...the dogs are libertarian street artists?"
Me- "I'm afraid so."

It's a shame I don't use iTunes, I feel like the people over there need more hard-hitting reviews like this.

(also, I've kept Disparition on my mp3 player or phone ever since Earwicker posted when 1989 came out, and his music is so perfect for this)

edit: Echoing that episode 13 is probably my favorite. At the end, when it went silent, I was thinking, "hmmmm, this is exactly where I'd end it if I were writing this. Did they?" And then the music fades in, and your story is over. Great job, guys.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 1, 2013

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Just caught up to this series in a couple of days, I'm loving it so thank you for creating a humorous and entertaining podcast. I've been recommending it to all my friends, listened to it with one of my roommates and she enjoyed it so hopefully I've convinced her to listen to it regularly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

maxnmona posted:

Those of you who don't want the weather are also missing that it's kind of central to how we structure the scripts. The passage of time that it allows is how we pace most episodes' climaxes. If you just edited the weather out, that part of the story wouldn't make sense.

I noticed it serving as a story beat and wasn't sure if it was intentional. Thanks for pointing that out. I like how every once in a while the song is like someone calling in from the street with a musical weather report while they wait for the bus in the rain, for example.

On an unrelated note, the guy's voice strikes the perfect balance of droning public radio talker and ominous 'SCP radio station assuring the screams and dimensional rifts are nothing to be concerned about' microphone man. So, good job on that. Hope that never changes.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Thanks for the entertainment, I enjoyed the first handful of episodes on a flight this morning.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
All the weather haters remind me a lot of Steve Carlsburg.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We just did a big shirt reprint and now have 2XLs. So those people who were asking for larger sizes, those larger sizes now exist.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

aricoarena posted:

All the weather haters remind me a lot of Steve Carlsburg.

I don't get it, could you clarify please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I was up 'till 1:00 AM making food for Easter with my mother and we powered through 6 episodes, she got a kick out of it, which I didn't expect at all. Also, the weather is great.