Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SiB posted:

Score!! Great job!

Now that I think of it, it may have been 3 - 4 weeks not 5 - 6.... cant remember.

Of course the dude accidentally mashed the button twice then resubmitted it without my middle name, but I got a confirmation from the original submission, so it all worked out.

...not that I'm very mature in my selection of callsigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

You can hardly be less mature than Mr. Theophilus B. Underwood III, W4NK.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Well that was... absurdly quick.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 25, 2017

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

I am looking for a volunteer to be the trustee for AG0ON. I'm hoping to get this done by the end of March. If not, I will probably have to cancel it. I am looking into in starting a D-Star machine that I will be the trustee of.

Just want to repeat this in case anyone missed it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SoundMonkey posted:

Well that was... absurdly quick.

Chalk another one up for the OP's list of people inspired by this thread, VE7FKN checking in, Basic + Honours.

The highest of fives. You need to get a radio and a RigBlaster so we can share beeps.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Now I just need to learn CW...
This is one of my current projects. Some fool was breaking into vehicles in the parking garage last year, so I took all my mobile equipment out; now I have a faux-base station. Last night I decided I would finally try to listen in on the section and state nets but I gave up after an hour of scanning around on 80m and 40m trying to hear anything; it seems my screw-drive antenna doesn't receive well in my apartment. :smith:

I'm going to jump in with another recent poster here and say that, of all things, antenna theory is where I'm weak. Oh, I understood the formulae well enough from a basic physics and mathematics point of view for the test, but I'm still at the point of asking stupid questions like this: Can I just run a loop of wire around the corners of my ceiling and hope to pick up a (bunch of noise and a) signal on 80m? Just how many capacitors and transformers will it take?

Okay, the person outside trying to send morse with their car horn. It's not working.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
^^^

Antennas as far as I'm concerned are a black art.

Best way to learn what works and what doesn't with antennas is try out different ones. You can study all the theory in the world, and if you don't, you certainly won't succeed, but you gotta build them and test them.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
Passed my Technician and General tonight! Now time to :f5: the FCC.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Y'know what, hell with it, I'll edit the OP myself :v:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Just want to repeat this in case anyone missed it.

Did miss that. Anything major involved? Are we using the club sign anywhere currently?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
It hasn't been actively used for anything other to run an Echolink node, which I dunno if it still running or not.

PM me your call sign, mailing address, and I'll send ya out a form with my signature that you can sign and mail out.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

So I'm looking at the Baofeng UV-5RC. 5-ish watts, dual band, accepts Kenwood accessories (and doesn't use crazy moon connectors). Other than being a cheap piece of poo poo probably, is there any specific reason I wouldn't get this?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
My 5R is already losing the paint on the buttons after a single weekend of normal field use, the battery life is quite good though. Transmit audio is very low on the stock 5R but I think they've fixed that in later hardware revisions. Get the extended battery.

The 5R is also pretty sensitive to intermodulation so it frequently picks up noise, and the squelch doesn't actually support changing the level so there's not much to do about it when it happens.

But for the price it's pretty good.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Lots of people have the Chinese radios and are happy with them... my opinion, the readability of the manual from the Japanese manufacturers is worth the extra $50-75, or whatever the price diff is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

longview posted:

My 5R is already losing the paint on the buttons after a single weekend of normal field use, the battery life is quite good though. Transmit audio is very low on the stock 5R but I think they've fixed that in later hardware revisions. Get the extended battery.

The 5R is also pretty sensitive to intermodulation so it frequently picks up noise, and the squelch doesn't actually support changing the level so there's not much to do about it when it happens.

But for the price it's pretty good.

Close enough for me, ordered. Also with the retarded amount of arduino-related stuff I have lying around I should be able to build a programming cable really really easily (not that they cost that much, but waiting on shipping from wherever, etc).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Tell me I'm wise for thinking about jumping on an FT-726r with all modules for $200.

Such satellite class.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Tell me I'm wise for thinking about jumping on an FT-726r with all modules for $200.

Such satellite class.

Very wise, let me know if you ever want to sell it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jonny 290 posted:

Such satellite class.

Well since well-known microcontroller autist Jonny290 is already here...

How difficult would it be to have an arduino just sit between the radio and the computer as a programming cable? From what I can tell, all it has to do is Serial->USB, which shouldn't be all that hard (it's the Kenwood type of connector, so I already have the appropriate parts lying around). Googling has been unhelpful.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SoundMonkey posted:

Well since well-known microcontroller autist Jonny290 is already here...

How difficult would it be to have an arduino just sit between the radio and the computer as a programming cable? From what I can tell, all it has to do is Serial->USB, which shouldn't be all that hard (it's the Kenwood type of connector, so I already have the appropriate parts lying around). Googling has been unhelpful.

This should be completely doable and actually is the reason we don't touch pins 0 and 1 on the yosvape's arduino - that's the serial bus. Wire it up and go. I use this trick to interface with an Icom PCR-100 that I've converted from RS-232 levels to TTL levels.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jonny 290 posted:

This should be completely doable and actually is the reason we don't touch pins 0 and 1 on the yosvape's arduino - that's the serial bus. Wire it up and go. I use this trick to interface with an Icom PCR-100 that I've converted from RS-232 levels to TTL levels.

I think the data connection is 3.3V levels, so I may have to do some conversion, although I hope not. Also I'm told the baud rate is determined by "guessing" on these. At least I won't have to find some obscure drivers this way, just let the arduino show up as a normal serial port, and use SoftwareSerial to talk to the radio.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SoundMonkey posted:

I think the data connection is 3.3V levels, so I may have to do some conversion, although I hope not. Also I'm told the baud rate is determined by "guessing" on these. At least I won't have to find some obscure drivers this way, just let the arduino show up as a normal serial port, and use SoftwareSerial to talk to the radio.

I don't know about yours, but pretty much all of my radio programming cables are just cheap USB>serial converters pinned-out to whatever weird headset jack the radio uses to double as a programming port. The RPi sounds like extra complication if you're just wanting to program.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know about yours, but pretty much all of my radio programming cables are just cheap USB>serial converters pinned-out to whatever weird headset jack the radio uses to double as a programming port. The RPi sounds like extra complication if you're just wanting to program.

An arduino, but yeah, I meant using this INSTEAD of the programming cable, since it's already a USB>serial converter. The connectors are just (semi) standard audio jacks which I already have lots of.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

If anyone uses those LiPo RC batteries for QRP/Portable/EMCOMMUNISM, this is a pretty good deal:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000-3s1p-40c-3333.html

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
Having been a HAM for a decade, I finally got a radio. That Baofeng thing, UV-5RE. Fairly capable little radio, I am amazed it is only $40.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Redleg posted:

Having been a HAM for a decade, I finally got a radio. That Baofeng thing, UV-5RE. Fairly capable little radio, I am amazed it is only $40.

Yeah I'm sure mine will be awesome once it, y'know, shows up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've had really good luck with 409shop if anyone else is looking to buy a chinese thing. I've placed maybe 4 separate orders for Baofeng radios, Nagoya antennas, and some spare batteries. Poorly organized site, but everything ahs shown up direct from China in about 2 weeks.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

eddiewalker posted:

I've had really good luck with 409shop if anyone else is looking to buy a chinese thing. I've placed maybe 4 separate orders for Baofeng radios, Nagoya antennas, and some spare batteries. Poorly organized site, but everything ahs shown up direct from China in about 2 weeks.

Yeah it's only been like ten days, I'm just being an impatient babby because now it's easter so nothing happens for four days or something. Also at $40 each I might grab an extra one when I'm rich to donate to the local club for people who, like me, are bad at planning things and got their license before having a radio.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I've got a TH-F6A that I've had for about 9 years. Bought it in 2004, and I just replaced the battery.

I've got a tri-band Maldol antenna to go along with the radio when I bought it. These days, it's looking a little, uh, droopy, when I hold it.

I think it took an accidental bend one day. It still seems to work; I don't lose reception or anything, when I wiggle it a bit or the antenna bounces. Is the only way to know for sure to hook it up to a meter and check the SWR? Is it even worth it for an HT antenna?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's fine.

SiB
May 6, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Yea same here, 3 wouxun radios and a baofeng, a bunch of accessories for them all, not a single problem. 2 weeks shipping for me and i'm in northern alberta. I order from their ebay store usually though. http://stores.ebay.com/PRORADIOSHOP

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I figure ham radio operators will know the answer to this one: if I can't afford a good linear supply for my HF rig, can I take a regulated 13.8V lower power supply and connect it to a lead acid battery?
I figure if current is shared correctly then as long as the average current of the HF rig (duty cycle) is less than what the supply can deliver then the battery will maintain a decent charge?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Yes, but you'll probably need a resistor and fuse - and maybe a diode too - between the power supply and battery, to protect the supply and battery. You'll end up with a sort of trickle charger. You have to size the diode and resistor (ohm value and wattage) to the size of the battery, so that connecting an empty battery doesn't overload the power supply or provides more charging current than the battery can handle.
Depending on what supply you get, you might have issues with switching interference on some HF bands. One popular supply that might be out of your price range is the Alinco DM-330MVE/MVT which is switch mode, but has an adjustable switching frequency.

Vir fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 1, 2013

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
No maybe about the diode, it is required. But yes you can trickle charge a lead acid battery that way, effectively creating a DC UPS. It's not quite as good as a box designed for the purpose, but it will work.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Ok thanks, my plan was to make a regulated linear supply since I have some fairly powerful transformers to use as a base, then I can get some big linear regulators and a nice heatsink. I have already experienced the devastating effects of my laptop charger when not grounded on pretty much everything from 5-15 MHz so I definitely want to limit the amount of switching supplies where possible.

As a follow-up question what's a good size battery to use for a 20A peak-load? I started with a 20Ah SMF battery since that lets me receive all day and I can just charge at night, I was thinking I'd go up to 50-70Ah for when I get the antenna up and want to start transmitting?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

longview posted:

As a follow-up question what's a good size battery to use for a 20A peak-load?
As big as you can afford, have space for, and am willing to lift. You can always use smaller batteries and wire in series to make a bank, as well.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I've had my technician for a while, but I only now am getting a radio. I've heard good things about Wouxun, but the upper bound of my budget is $200, am I going to be able to find anything good at that price?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I am not a book posted:

I've had my technician for a while, but I only now am getting a radio. I've heard good things about Wouxun, but the upper bound of my budget is $200, am I going to be able to find anything good at that price?
VHF/UHF? Absolutely and not just Wouxun either. There are plenty of options available, have you looked at the classifieds on QRZ, eHam and QTH?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

So once I'm a money-haver, is there any reason I can't just run my HT through a linear amplifier and a decent antenna for some more reach, until I scrape up enough money for an HF rig? I saw a pretty cheap 4-watts-in-45-watts-out amplifier and I can easily design the power supply myself.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Kind of apples and oranges. Maybe you're mixing terminology. Your HT is most certainly FM-only and doesn't work on HF frequencies. There's very little FM activity on HF. If you're just talking about getting more power on UHF/VHF, get a used base/mobile station and a power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

eddiewalker posted:

Kind of apples and oranges. Maybe you're mixing terminology. Your HT is most certainly FM-only and doesn't work on HF frequencies. There's very little FM activity on HF. If you're just talking about getting more power on UHF/VHF, get a used base/mobile station and a power supply.

Sorry, yeah, I was unclear, I meant more power on VHF/UHF, not somehow magically making it HF and/or AM.