Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
This pretty much sums up "Dual".

When they work, they work amazingly, just as well as units twice their price. When they don't, god help you!

I have to push-start my 510, and for the life of me I can't figure out what the problem is. Once it gets moving, the strobe says that its holding rock solid at the proper RPM, but no amount of oiling or cleaning seems to make it start itself.

As soon as I get it running how it should, I'm getting a new dustcover made and I'm going to rip off the particle-board base and replace it with a dovetailed walnut one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatsEvolution
May 18, 2006

"I think you're a dangerous, corrupt, lying piece of nine-day-old mosquito shit." - Hugh Laurie, The Gun Seller
Well I certainly hope that the one I've bought works or I guess I'll have a new project to keep me busy in addition to recapping the Marantz.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

If anyone is looking to unload some of these awesome receivers, let me know. I'm not super happy with my Grundig. My username @gmail.com

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ghostnuke posted:

If anyone is looking to unload some of these awesome receivers, let me know. I'm not super happy with my Grundig. My username @gmail.com

Probably not much luck here, but check all the usual suspects.

Put up a poster on any bulletin boards you can find in your community. Post office, Grocery Store, Bus Station, etc...
Scan the local paper for yard sales when the weather is better, saturdays and long weekends are the best time to cruise for them.
Check out Craigslist/Kijiji. Ebay has tons of receivers, but they usually go for a bit more than they are worth.
Check out pawn shops, church rummage sales, and any place that deals with used wares.
Look in the paper for private/estate auctions. If you're really trying to narrow things down a bit, check out the obituaries for Vietnam vets or Navy guys who would be in their mid 50's to mid 60's, and find out it there is going to be an estate auction. Apparently a lot of them would pick up a receiver in Japan and either take them back on the ship or mail them home directly. I know of three people who have Sansui receivers that were originally vet/navy bring-backs.

If you're not dead-set on it being vintage, check out the curbs and posters when the university students are going home for spring, or coming to school in the fall. A lot of them are leaving their apartments or moving to new ones and lots of stuff goes by the wayside, even decent receivers from time to time.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a Sansui AU-5900 today on a whim for $50. It was dirty as all hell, but it was from the original owner at least.

Cleaned it up and turned it on, sounded great for about 3 minutes before I heard a pop and went dead. Turned it off and back on, tried again and sure enough about 3 minutes later, same thing happened.

Guess I'm gonna have some fun tracking down the problem, replacing caps and/or transistors!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BANME.sh posted:

I picked up a Sansui AU-5900 today on a whim for $50. It was dirty as all hell, but it was from the original owner at least.

Cleaned it up and turned it on, sounded great for about 3 minutes before I heard a pop and went dead. Turned it off and back on, tried again and sure enough about 3 minutes later, same thing happened.

Guess I'm gonna have some fun tracking down the problem, replacing caps and/or transistors!

You're probably right.

Sounds like a transistor has dislodged itself from one of the heatsinks, or a cap (or a few) being out of tolerance so much that they're putting it into safety mode or whatever it's called to keep the unit from destroying itself. Either way it sounds like a heat issue.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It seems to only happen on aux-1. Aux-2 seems pretty solid after about 20 minutes of use. Haven't tried phono yet. You think that adds some complication to the issue?

Should I start with replacing the power supply caps and the power transistors and go from there?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Blistex posted:

Probably not much luck here, but check all the usual suspects.

Put up a poster on any bulletin boards you can find in your community. Post office, Grocery Store, Bus Station, etc...
Scan the local paper for yard sales when the weather is better, saturdays and long weekends are the best time to cruise for them.
Check out Craigslist/Kijiji. Ebay has tons of receivers, but they usually go for a bit more than they are worth.
Check out pawn shops, church rummage sales, and any place that deals with used wares.
Look in the paper for private/estate auctions. If you're really trying to narrow things down a bit, check out the obituaries for Vietnam vets or Navy guys who would be in their mid 50's to mid 60's, and find out it there is going to be an estate auction. Apparently a lot of them would pick up a receiver in Japan and either take them back on the ship or mail them home directly. I know of three people who have Sansui receivers that were originally vet/navy bring-backs.

If you're not dead-set on it being vintage, check out the curbs and posters when the university students are going home for spring, or coming to school in the fall. A lot of them are leaving their apartments or moving to new ones and lots of stuff goes by the wayside, even decent receivers from time to time.

Yeah, this is my normal process. I found my Grundig at an estate sale, just waiting for the weather to warm up for garage sale season. Was just hoping one of you awesome dudes had an extra laying around. ;)

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Any brands/WPC you are looking for?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

TooLShack posted:

Any brands/WPC you are looking for?

I'm a sucker for a silver face and blue lamps and woodgrain. This will be for my vintage video game arcade, so honestly looks are probably 80% what I'm looking for. But I would like a quality receiver that will get loud also. I'd like to be able to plug in a modern source (phone, ipod, whatever) with minimal fuss.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm a sucker for a silver face and blue lamps and woodgrain. This will be for my vintage video game arcade, so honestly looks are probably 80% what I'm looking for. But I would like a quality receiver that will get loud also. I'd like to be able to plug in a modern source (phone, ipod, whatever) with minimal fuss.

Pretty much anything with a silver (brushed aluminum) face, wood grain and blue bulbs is going to be decent. Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, are some of the more likely ones you'd encounter, but keep an eye out for Onkyo, Sony, and pretty much anything with the characteristics you listed and a hell of a lot of heft to it.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Cool, I might be getting a second Sansui 8080db tomorrow. Depending on it's condition I might have to get rid of my current one. Shipping on something like this will be pricey though.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
As far as loudness goes, I've found that vintage watts seem to go a lot further than modern ones for whatever reason (placebo) ;) . It's also dependent on what you're driving. I've got a little baby Pioneer and the original specs say

"44W Stereo Amplifier/ Continious Power Output: 10 watts + 10 watts (at 8 ohms, both channels driven)/Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.5% (at 1KHz rated output)/Power Bandwidth: 20-40,000Hz (8 ohms, IHM)"

I'm driving a couple of bookshelves with it and I never crack a quarter of the way round the dial. It's still an impressive sound, people often comment that they can't believe so much sound is coming out of such a little amp and speakers.

Also that Marantz page with the guy fixing the discrete Dolby board gives me hope that maybe one day someone can fix my broken (cat 64) cards from my CP55 processor.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

TooLShack posted:

Cool, I might be getting a second Sansui 8080db tomorrow. Depending on it's condition I might have to get rid of my current one. Shipping on something like this will be pricey though.

Let me know if you decide to part with it, that thing looks pretty boss. I do plenty of soldering and pcb work, so I'm not scared of a rebuild.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Here's some good lists of vintage receivers with lots of pics to drool over.
http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/vintageaudioequipmentgallery.html
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/
http://audio-database.com/index.html

As far as loud goes, efficiency of your speakers has as much to do with it as the wattage, that said, it takes 10x the wattage to double the sound, so anything in the 25-50 watt range will be pretty loud unless your speakers have a low efficiency rating.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
So I tracked the intermittent cutting out problem on the Marantz receiver I was talking about two pages back down to the tape monitor switch (surprise, surprise), and am now looking to pick up an older turntable to rescue. Out doing the thrift store rounds today I spotted a Technics SL-B30 for $20. I know this is a P-mount cartridge and everything which will obviously limit my cartridge choices, but is there any particular reason why this would be a bad intermediate choice until I can find something better?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jadius posted:

So I tracked the intermittent cutting out problem on the Marantz receiver I was talking about two pages back down to the tape monitor switch (surprise, surprise), and am now looking to pick up an older turntable to rescue. Out doing the thrift store rounds today I spotted a Technics SL-B30 for $20. I know this is a P-mount cartridge and everything which will obviously limit my cartridge choices, but is there any particular reason why this would be a bad intermediate choice until I can find something better?

For $20? Why not, especially if it already has a cart.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ron Burgundy posted:

As far as loudness goes, I've found that vintage watts seem to go a lot further than modern ones for whatever reason (placebo) ;).

This is actually true (depending on how you look at it and the manufacturers involved). Back in the 70's they used to determine it by how much wattage it could do over one channel for a sustained period of time through a much wider bandwidth range. A lot of manufacturers today take total wattage over all channels, with a very limited bandwidth range, and a short period of time. So basically the 70's ratings were what your stereo could do in reality, and today it's what they could do for 2 seconds before burning down your house. (naturally manufactures play a huge role in how true this is).

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Man, the 8080DB I went to see was a bit rougher than I thought. Of course it was in protection. Guy wouldn't budge on the price but still pretty cheap anyways so I picked it up. Removed the driver board to see if the fault was in it, still went into protection. So me and the service manual will have to get cozy tonight.

DatsEvolution
May 18, 2006

"I think you're a dangerous, corrupt, lying piece of nine-day-old mosquito shit." - Hugh Laurie, The Gun Seller
So I collected the Dual 1209 turntable today.

It seems to be in quite good condition with the exception of the cover which is broken at the back. After I got to grips with balancing the tone arm and setting the correct tracking weight for the cartridge I gave it a try. Sounds very good to me and everything works correctly as far as I can tell.

I am pleased with it. The cartridge and stylus are Audio Technica A11 system. I've been reading up on turntables and there is so much information regarding cartridges and stylus that its hard to really tell whats good and what isn't. How do I know when a cartridge or stylus needs changing?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

What does the big metal weight in the middle do?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Looks very nice and clean, good job!

You will notice when a stylus needs changing when you hear increased audible distortion. A new stylus can last hundreds of hours of use if properly maintained and played only on clean records.

Doomy posted:

What does the big metal weight in the middle do?

It's simply a weight, or a clamp. Most importantly it can flatten out a warped record. Some people claim it enhances the sound even on a flat record, but that's more than likely placebo.

Edit: There's a level on top, too, which is very useful.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's a nice looking TT.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's a nice looking TT.

That's one thing that Duals have in the bag. It's almost a shame to put the dustcovers on them they look so nice.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Do you guys think a Pioneer SX-780 in good condition is worth $100? Not sure if I want to pick up this one from Craigslist or not.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Do you guys think a Pioneer SX-780 in good condition is worth $100? Not sure if I want to pick up this one from Craigslist or not.

I talked him down to $80 because there were a few small chips in the wood (you can see a small one at the bottom right), but overall it's in great condition and sounds fantastic. To my untrained, non-audiophile ears it sounds better than my KR 4070 did, although I think they are pretty similar power-wise.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

That's damned pretty.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I did something useful today, still got to hook everything up and get the turntable on the top but pretty happy with the results so far. The bottom shelf is for LPs.

Nice job on that Pioneer, not bad for 80 bucks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I destroyed an 80's jbl tweeter this afternoon. replaced it with a sony 3-way. still noticing alot more woofer bounce on the destroyed channel than the working one..

When the jbl broke hear a distinct pop and then quiet on a channel

the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mgoMzUbgg

not sure what to do can still see the sony speakers bouncing disproportionately

e; new amp that might be important. i guess one channel is more bump than the other. by new i mean "1973 MIJ i bought a couple days ago"

e2; idk probably just need something bigger than 5" woofers. Running everything thru a 10" sub+amp

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 30, 2013

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

A MIRACLE posted:

I destroyed an 80's jbl tweeter this afternoon. replaced it with a sony 3-way. still noticing alot more woofer bounce on the destroyed channel than the working one..

When the jbl broke hear a distinct pop and then quiet on a channel

the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mgoMzUbgg

not sure what to do can still see the sony speakers bouncing disproportionately

e; new amp that might be important. i guess one channel is more bump than the other. by new i mean "1973 MIJ i bought a couple days ago"

e2; idk probably just need something bigger than 5" woofers. Running everything thru a 10" sub+amp

have you popped the speakers open and checked out the crossovers? Might be time for a recap?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I was just given two mixers (Realistic 32-1200C and Radio Shack SSM-60) and a 7-point stereo EQ (Technics SH-8017.) I'm hooking them up now. Assuming they work, are they worth using or worth a couple bucks? I mean, I guess I'll figure it out, but I'm curious about whether anybody in this thread has used them. The mixers seem to be of really solid build, so I assume they aren't poo poo.

Also, my turntable's (Technics 1200) RCA output cable (built-in) is iffy. The right channel has trouble making a good connection. Are there any simple hacks I can do for that without paying for repairs?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Daisy chain the mixers and EQ together for Maximum Audio Quality.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Look up replacing the RCA cables with RCA jacks, so you can use whichever interconnects you want. I'm sure theres at least a couple guides out there, and it would only require some minor dismantling and soldering

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I use an EQ but don't run anything through it, I just use it for the pretty lights.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

alg posted:

Daisy chain the mixers and EQ together for Maximum Audio Quality.

I did this and it all finally works right! For the first time I'm a member of the hi-if club. My receiver is pretty good but an eq will make a huge difference. I'm gonna try to hook my sub, but the signal going through that will have gone through three amplifiers... So I'll have to be careful.

Edit: I mean I'm using one of the mixers. But there's amps/preamps (?) in the mixer, the receiver, and the sub.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Mescal posted:

Also, my turntable's (Technics 1200) RCA output cable (built-in) is iffy. The right channel has trouble making a good connection. Are there any simple hacks I can do for that without paying for repairs?
This is an extremely simple repair that there's no reason you can't do yourself. The RCA cable attach directly to a small circuit board underneath the tonearm mount.

Secure the tonearm, flip the turntable over (set it on a milk crate for stability and to avoid hitting the tonearm), unscrew the bottom panel, remove it and you should see where the RCA cables mount. Take a set of shielded cables (such as used for TV connections, NOT the cheap ones you get with a VCR), cut the ends off one side and solder them to the circuit board. You should take this moment to make a strain relief with a zip tie to avoid issues in the future.

Reassemble and enjoy!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I just noticed that the mixer I'm using now has two phono inputs each for the phono channels. They're labeled MAG and CERA. Googling leads me to believe CERA might mean 'ceramic,' but... I don't know what that means. How are these two inputs different?

Edit: finding more at http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc8/8801.htm

It says on the feature list it has "Two pairs of stereo phono inputs for your turntables (two magnetic cartridges or two ceramic cartridges)"

A bit more looking around tells me that magnetic cartridges have quieter output, so I guess that explains that. My needle is a DJ needle made for scratching and stuff; I assume it's magnetic even though I'm not really sure what that means. I just happen to have plugged it into the correct input. I've seen a lot of mixers, this is the first one that has separate phono inputs for different kind of turntable cartridges!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 3, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You're right, its for ceramic cartridges. They are rare these days and are typically only found on old turntables that played 78s. They used different equalization curves than the now standard RIAA curve that magnetic cartridges use, which is why they require their own input.

Edit: maybe its only a matter of signal strength and not equalization. Either way, ceramic cartridges are mad old and you don't ever need to use that input.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 3, 2013

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Ceramics are also found commonly on Crosleys and other crap entry-level record chewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Can anyone comment on how reliable the SL-2000 is with maintaining speed? I spotted one for $60 that needs a stylus, keep reading things about it needing to be lubricated and adjusted.