Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colapops posted:

I've got the money, the items, everything. For another example, I've got all the right kelbi and duramboros parts for the kelbi bow, yet it simply isn't there to craft anywhere. It's a base bow as well, not an upgrade from another, and I still can't see it.

Do I have to be in high-rank single-player content in order to craft some of this stuff? I have other high rank armor and weapons, so I wouldn't think this is the case.

I had the same problem. It seems like you need the highest rank part to unlock things. As soon as I got the High-quality pelt it showed up even though I had no duramboros horns.

Dont get too excited about the slime on it though. It needs "awaken" which doesnt show up until G rank armors I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fungah! posted:

Doing offline Jade Barioth and I get nailed by his charge. All of a sudden something lands near me, I see it's his scalp and pan the camera to see Cha-Cha's followup attack dizzy him for me. Good...good work, little buddy :stare:

People seriously underestimate Cha-Cha and Kayamba's usefulness. Cha-Cha with the False Felyne mask will be breaking the monster into itty bitty pieces (and also interrupting your combos and flinging you around, but that's a small price to pay) and you can equip Kayamba with a more utility-oriented mask or the Ancient Mask to have him hitting monsters with status effects and dancing like nobody's business.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I've had Kayamba and Cha-Cha chain flinch things after I flinch things. They are seriously the best little guys.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Calaveron posted:

People seriously underestimate Cha-Cha and Kayamba's usefulness. Cha-Cha with the False Felyne mask will be breaking the monster into itty bitty pieces (and also interrupting your combos and flinging you around, but that's a small price to pay) and you can equip Kayamba with a more utility-oriented mask or the Ancient Mask to have him hitting monsters with status effects and dancing like nobody's business.

I like putting stun attack on both and using a hammer/hunting horn. Things get so dizzy, it's not even funny.

Speaking of, finally got my wish and found a KO +4 Charm, so I slotted Knockout King into my Qurupeco S armor. :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is it really the best time to get into Monster Hunter with 3U? I tried the wii one and it felt too clunky and weird and I never really got into it. I think if it would have been a bit more polished and more new player friendly then i would have clicked with it. The thought of awesome huge monsters in HD excites me and I think it's enough to push me into the series enough to grasp the gameplay.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is it really the best time to get into Monster Hunter with 3U? I tried the wii one and it felt too clunky and weird and I never really got into it. I think if it would have been a bit more polished and more new player friendly then i would have clicked with it. The thought of awesome huge monsters in HD excites me and I think it's enough to push me into the series enough to grasp the gameplay.

Join the #monsterhunter channel on IRC to get a friendly monhun vet to show you the ropes.
Otherwise yeah, the game is not very newby-friendly and might be intimidating at first. Still, once you get the hang of it you'll be fighting the same monster over and over just to get the chance to forge a pair of pants that will let you hunt another monster easier.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
As I've been moaning about repeatedly in IRC, gently caress the Diablos. I killed 14 today trying to get one measly Majestic Horn, and nothing. Supposed to be an 8% drop, and you need one to finish the LR armour set. Not cool, Capcom!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

The basic game is still the same. Out of curiosity though, what kind of controller did you play the Wii version with? The Wii U pad is wayyyyy better than trying to play Tri with a nunchuck or god-forbid, a single wiimote. I used a classic controller pro for Tri and I'm using a Wii U Pro now though and I can't recommend them enough for Monster Hunter.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is the only real way to get small goldenfish in bulk to just sit at a fishing spot like an rear end in a top hat? in total I need EIGHTY small goldenfish to make my rathian bell upgrades and I have no loving clue how to tabkle this.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 31, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I wanna say you can get them through the single player fishing fleet. If you've only been doing multiplayer all I have to say is uh oh spaghetti-o's

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Dizz posted:

Is the only real way to get small goldenfish in bulk to just sit at a fishing spot like an rear end in a top hat? in total I need EIGHTY small goldenfish to make my rathian bell upgrades and I have no loving clue how to tabkle this.

Eighty? What the gently caress that sounds pretty up there in terms of JRPG grinding. The easiest way I can think of is Goldenfish bait, then bringing as many materials as you can to combine to make more out in the field.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
What's the best way to cut tails with a bow?
I tried using the melee attack, but against large monsters it just doesn't have the range to do so safely, so I just get thrown all over the place.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How do I get Athena's Fish Finder program to work? All it does at this point is ask if I want to remove or repair C++ 2010 x86. How do I actually get the program to run?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nechronic posted:

The basic game is still the same. Out of curiosity though, what kind of controller did you play the Wii version with? The Wii U pad is wayyyyy better than trying to play Tri with a nunchuck or god-forbid, a single wiimote. I used a classic controller pro for Tri and I'm using a Wii U Pro now though and I can't recommend them enough for Monster Hunter.

Yeah, I couldn't stand Tri with anything other than the classic controller, but the WiiU pad is absolutely fine. The touchscreen is helpful, even.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scissorman posted:

What's the best way to cut tails with a bow?
I tried using the melee attack, but against large monsters it just doesn't have the range to do so safely, so I just get thrown all over the place.

I always assumed the bow's tail cutting ability was mostly theoretical. Maybe if you're in multiplayer and your teammates did 99% of the damage you could do the last hit. Same with the hunting horn. I've tried plenty with both and despite landing tons of hits I've never managed to do it.

Question about tail cutting. If a tail needs 100 damage to be cut, can you do 100 impact/shot/whatever damage and then slice it off with one hit of slashing? Or do you need to do 100 slashing damage? I'm assuming it's the latter.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This has probably been asked many times throughout the thread, but as someone with a 3DS and no intent on getting a Wii U for a while is this game worth it for the single player alone? It would be my first monster hunter game.

Edit: By this game I mean MH3 Ultimate.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 31, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It is extremely worth it for the single player. You can play the entire game single player if you want to, even on the WiiU, though it's going to take a lot longer to do.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

This has probably been asked many times throughout the thread, but as someone with a 3DS and no intent on getting a Wii U for a while is this game worth it for the single player alone? It would be my first monster hunter game.

Edit: By this game I mean MH3 Ultimate.

There's an entire game's worth of content that's single player only, and an even larger multiplayer that can be played with one person. The multiplayer monsters have a lot more hp and an extra difficulty rank so you'll have to be pretty good to solo it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Serenity Dove posted:

Eighty? What the gently caress that sounds pretty up there in terms of JRPG grinding. The easiest way I can think of is Goldenfish bait, then bringing as many materials as you can to combine to make more out in the field.

I currently only need thirty for my first gold bell upgrade, then another for the one after, and then I think twenty for the final one. Also everyone says it but no goldenfish bait doesn't work because that just brings regular sized goldenfish.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Dizz posted:

I currently only need thirty for my first gold bell upgrade, then another for the one after, and then I think twenty for the final one. Also everyone says it but no goldenfish bait doesn't work because that just brings regular sized goldenfish.

Everything I'm seeing only says 50 if you're upgrading straight from the Pink Rathian horn. Moreover, it's only 60 if you buy/forge the Gold version and then upgrade it. Where are you looking that says you need 80?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dizz posted:

I get small goldenfish semi commonly from the fishing fleet. That's probably the best way to do it without making yourself want to eat a bullet.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Everything I'm seeing only says 50 if you're upgrading straight from the Pink Rathian horn. Moreover, it's only 60 if you buy/forge the Gold version and then upgrade it. Where are you looking that says you need 80?

Oh you're right. I completely added extra by mistake. it still kinda sucks that I need so much but i guess it's just an incentive for me to finally continue doing the village quests and also get rare commodities.

The Moon Monster posted:

I get small goldenfish semi commonly from the fishing fleet. That's probably the best way to do it without making yourself want to eat a bullet.

What level is your fleet and where do you usually send them to?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

The Moon Monster posted:

I always assumed the bow's tail cutting ability was mostly theoretical. Maybe if you're in multiplayer and your teammates did 99% of the damage you could do the last hit. Same with the hunting horn. I've tried plenty with both and despite landing tons of hits I've never managed to do it.

So can I simply ignore tail cutting or do I need to invest in a second weapon?

In that case, I know there's a slicing shot for bowguns, how well does it work?
I'd prefer to keep using ranged weapons, since I already took the time to craft my gunner set.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
You can get pretty far without a cutting weapon; I needed exactly one Barroth Tail with my offline run using Hunting Horns, to upgrade one of my horns.

At some point you're probably going to want a different weapon anyways, so it never hurts to give the cutting weapons a try. Greatsword and Switch Axe are standouts for getting tails, while Dual Swords and Sword & Shield are much more difficult, if not impossible on some monsters.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

BrightGreenLine posted:

You can get pretty far without a cutting weapon; I needed exactly one Barroth Tail with my offline run using Hunting Horns, to upgrade one of my horns.

At some point you're probably going to want a different weapon anyways, so it never hurts to give the cutting weapons a try. Greatsword and Switch Axe are standouts for getting tails, while Dual Swords and Sword & Shield are much more difficult, if not impossible on some monsters.

Don't lances and gunlances deal both cutting and impact damage?
I was thinking about trying out gunlance, since the one available in the DLC is supposed to be quite good.

My current endgame plan is to go for either the Kelbi or a high elemental bow, which should work fine.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Dizz posted:

Sending your fleet to the Moga Deep (***) has a 5% chance per reward to get 2 small golden fish. Load up your guys with fish finders and you should have plenty after a 6 cycles or so.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

scissorman posted:

Don't lances and gunlances deal both cutting and impact damage?
I was thinking about trying out gunlance, since the one available in the DLC is supposed to be quite good.

My current endgame plan is to go for either the Kelbi or a high elemental bow, which should work fine.

Lances are usable for cutting tails, and I would assume Gunlances too though I've never used them. I played a lance almost exclusively in Tri, and it was challenging to get tails sometimes but definitely doable.

I left them and Long Sword out because they're not exceptional, really. I think SnS and DS deserve special mention because they are extremely difficult to get tail carves with, due to their very limited reach.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I got a five star rare commodity from killing a plesioth. Is there anything specific I should spend it on? The only five star stuff I see are misc objects for my home.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I got a five star rare commodity from killing a plesioth. Is there anything specific I should spend it on? The only five star stuff I see are misc objects for my home.

You should save it for something better than that at least. The big ticket items are Shakalaka masks and dances.

I'm annoyed at how infrequently anything bigger than a royal ludroth shows up in free hunt. I've got all sorts of stuff unlocked that I've never even seen in the forecast.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Moon Monster posted:

You should save it for something better than that at least. The big ticket items are Shakalaka masks and dances.

I'm annoyed at how infrequently anything bigger than a royal ludroth shows up in free hunt. I've got all sorts of stuff unlocked that I've never even seen in the forecast.

I was only getting Great Jaggis in the forest and then I beat Gobul last night. Now the forecast is Qurupeco as far as the eye can see :negative:

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

BrightGreenLine posted:

Lances are usable for cutting tails, and I would assume Gunlances too though I've never used them. I played a lance almost exclusively in Tri, and it was challenging to get tails sometimes but definitely doable.

I left them and Long Sword out because they're not exceptional, really. I think SnS and DS deserve special mention because they are extremely difficult to get tail carves with, due to their very limited reach.

Gunlances have a weaker standard up attack, but there moving/rising slash and upswings hit harder and higher than the normal lance. Also they hit harder and faster when the monster is on their side and you can do the standard ground stab-stab-shot-stab-stab-shot combo off.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The forecast does seem a bit tilted in favor of the 'baby' monsters. I've seen lagiacrus once on the forecast and I was in multiplayer so by the time I finished the quest there, the day had passed and it was back to jaggis and qurupecos.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yar, lances/gunlances are tougher to cut tails with than GS/LS/SA, but it's still perfectly doable.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I just learned that Joe can seriously hurt the Peco (and presumably other monsters), since the crimson peco is a MASSIVE loving rear end in a top hat on that mission and calls Joe over every two loving seconds, I decided to just forget the dung bombs and let them duke it out.

Pros: Joe did half the work. Like I barely hit the Peco at all, and Joe landed the finishing blow and broke both his flints.

Cons: Being that he contributed so much, he decided to stick around for the post-victory screen and didn't let me get my carves at all. :negative:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if village Jhen Moran takes cumulative damage or do you need to kill him in one go?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I just learned that Joe can seriously hurt the Peco (and presumably other monsters), since the crimson peco is a MASSIVE loving rear end in a top hat on that mission and calls Joe over every two loving seconds, I decided to just forget the dung bombs and let them duke it out.

Pros: Joe did half the work. Like I barely hit the Peco at all, and Joe landed the finishing blow and broke both his flints.

Cons: Being that he contributed so much, he decided to stick around for the post-victory screen and didn't let me get my carves at all. :negative:

Monster Hunter: sometimes I have to throw my poop to get what I want.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

They retuned the earlier single player monster health (Village Low Rank) and lowered them, which helps smooth out the early parts of the learning curve, so even though it's the same (old) campaign, should be easier to get into this time.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Joe doesn't seem like such a bad person, the first time I met him he killed a Great Jaggi which I got to carve a Bird Wyvern Gem out of (which apparently isn't even a carve?) and then finished the quest for me.
He just doesn't know how to show love properly.

RME fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 31, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's really obvious that Plesioth's moveset in the water was made more recently, he has tells and the animations are much smoother. On land he's a complete dick and the hitboxes are absurd (they have to be because he's so tall he'd never hit anything otherwise), and his tail swipes have no tell whatsoever.

I don't know why they didn't just make Plesioth rath-sized. It's a pretty weak monster and it doesn't even have a proper roar, yet I'm limited to hitting his feet and being punished for that with his crazy hitboxes.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The saddest thing about MH3's servers going down next month is that I'll never be able to visit my princely online estate again.

Same thing with the King Room in MH1. Those were such a nice symbol of your online progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Moldy Taxes posted:

The saddest thing about MH3's servers going down next month is that I'll never be able to visit my princely online estate again.

Same thing with the King Room in MH1. Those were such a nice symbol of your online progress.

I'm incredibly depressed that all we get in 3U is a dinky boat.

• Locked thread