Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Had a great Tabletop Day. Had around 10 people at the house throughout the day and broke out Loot, Lords of Waterdeep, Castles of Burgundy, 7 Wonders and Libertalia. Some people broke out Munchkin as a side game while 4 of us played and finished Libertalia and it was as expected ending with "just let her win!" which cracked me up. Good times with board games were had!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay uh, Ugg-Tect is very silly. Funny, not really my kind of game, but man. The chief on each team makes grunting noises and hits his teammates with an inflatable club while they try to assemble a monument, and Akumbo means flip and Kichinga means in front and Kichinga Kichinga means back and so on. About as good as toc toc woodman I'd say. (actual grunts are not what I wrote, but I'm too lazy to look up the exact ones)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Played Mage Knight and Seven Wonders for Tabletop Day. It was a nice mix of heavy vs. light gaming for the day! Mage Knight was a first-time play through, and I really enjoyed the mix of Dominion, Munchkin, and MTG. Great stuff.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
So today I played RftG, Tzolk'in, The new Innovation expansion and Agricola with Farmers of the Moor. And I also picked up War of the Ring 2nd edition for $20.:yotj: It was a good day

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008
I had a lower-than-desired turnout for tabletop day but got a bunch of great games in. A couple of rounds of Sentinels of the Multiverse was definitely a highlight, with one victory and one narrow defeat. We followed that up with Pandemic, which was another narrow loss. Feeling bummed, we kept it light for the rest of the night with Kingsburg and King of Tokyo. I really enjoy both of these, but I feel that both may be wearing a bit thin. I hear the expansions help both games in this regard.

NPCChris
Jan 12, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I can see why some people might prefer to play it that way. The Resistance is great, but it can reduce down to a logic puzzle sometimes, and spies become immediately obvious when they downvote teams that would either guarantee a resistance win or guarantee that the spies expose themselves. Hidden team voting makes the game a lot more random, but it helps to prevent situations where one side is effectively mathed into a loss.

Still kind of lovely that they'd use that house rule in a video meant to show off the game, though.

I don't see how, without the addition of the expansion cards, it is possible to get mathed into a loss. As the spies can choose to lie at any time, there is never enough information to choose missions with 100% accuracy. In many games, the spies will end up throwing one another under the bus in order to secure overall victory.

Of the dozens of games I have played of Resistance, only a couple were actually won by the Resistance without the use of expansion cards. The game is heavily weighted in the spies favor as-is.

**Edit to Include what I played for Tabletop Day**
Well, interestingly enough, I ran demo games of Resistance for the majority of the day then finished up with FIASCO. I was also able to play a few unreleased games: Privateer Press' Bodgermania, Paizo's Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and a card game with Mike Elliot that I just. don't. remember the name of. All in all, a fine day.

NPCChris fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 31, 2013

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Had a great time at Card Kingdom playing the resistance, which I purchased and then took to a barbecue and played about 5 more games of. I also played a print and play of dungeon roll, which was kinda neat but pretty boring when it's not your turn and not very satisfying when it is.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 31, 2013

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
My group of friends went to our LGS for Tabletop Day, and when we got there the tables were all full and had been for the past couple of hours. So we made our own Tabletop Day! All of the board games were 10% off (and the games being demoed were another 5-10% off), so I bought the Eclipse expansion and a friend of mine bought Ladies & Gentlemen, we all went back to my house and played the day away!

Ladies & Gentlemen is an exceptionally silly game, which we were all expecting. We had three teams and my "wife" and I ended up winning. I liked the asymmetry of the two sides competing, and I liked how the two sides of the teams never really knew the resources of the other, i.e. the lady could ask her gentleman to buy a dress, but not know if he could actually afford it. Not a very deep game, but I had a lot of fun, especially because the rulebook stresses to try to roleplay as your characters.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 31, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, want to thank the thread for the recommendation of Sentinels of the Multiverse because the group I play with loved it, even though the card art is horribly cheesy and we all had a good laugh about some of them and their backstories.

The first game we played was an unmitigated disaster as we didn't know our characters well and Baron Blade hosed with us hardcore and the location we choose did not help. So the 2 others picked new characters and I stayed the same(I was playing the Wraith and really liked her) and we switched out the Villain to Omnitron. Checking some things over we definitely played some things wrong (but whatever, know for next time) but I was, and still am really confused about how Omnitron works, his ability states that at the end of his turn, things get put into play, and we found that sometimes those cards also said at the end of the phase to do something. We found that we were getting just turbofucked by having them activate right away when that happens and said that because it got put into play in the end of phase nothing would activate. Did we eventually rule that right, or were we wrong there? If we were wrong, how the hell do you win the game? because we found that until we changed it to the second way of playing we never had a chance in hell, and then afterwards we were still getting beat around, but managed to pull out a slim victory.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

EVIR Gibson posted:

I also like to add the fact that even though they aren't, at first, a cyclon they need to consider that they might change into a cyclon later on in the game.

I had this thought recently during my first "learning game" of BSG and randomly noticed that if I got dealt a cylon card at distance 4 I'd be screwed because it's my first game and we're acing every crisis card. I decided to mess with it a little by saying "I can help a lot" while looking confident and then playing two 1 cards. We ended up passing it anyway because the player to my left dumped like 10 points into a crisis card with 11 value that everyone said they were helping a lot with.

Of course I'm immediately suspicious, we're the only players who should have had blue cards at this point, the destiny deck pulled both blues earlier, I played two 1s and he dropped 9 while saying he can only help a little. The cards he played had really strong effects, too, and were a major waste. I feel like he was attempting to dump useful cards on a passed crisis so he'd have a worse hand later on. We didn't finish the game due to time restraints, but he was actually a cylon. I thought that was a neat little interaction/strategy on his part since he could have totally played it off as me being new and wasting cards later on and everyone would have believed him.

Seems like a really good/fun game, can't wait to play it for real. It was super nice of them to babysit us through a learning game too since people tend to look at you as a Fun Black Hole when you say "Hi, we'd like to play BSG, but we've never played it before and it's going to turn your group of 5 into 7 which is apparently awful".

I also played Agricola for the first time, and due to some minor/major oversights on my part totally blew it. I had a good hand for growing and cooking vegetables, but didn't realize they would be available only later in the game. My Carrot Engine did eventually pick up speed, but it was way too late for it to matter and I had let myself stay last pick for way too long and was seriously wood starved because of it. Fun game though! I could have salvaged it if I had grown grain in the meantime and focused on building up family members early.

Also played Lords of Waterdeep, since it was apparently worker placement day. Also pretty fun, I did much better this time. 1st was like 10 points ahead of 2/3/4, and 5th was trailing by 30 or so. I really liked the building interactions but I felt like the Lord cards could have been much more interesting. I guess things could get very confusing though and it already got pretty confusing at times.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Reiz posted:

I also played Agricola for the first time, and due to some minor/major oversights on my part totally blew it. I had a good hand for growing and cooking vegetables, but didn't realize they would be available only later in the game. My Carrot Engine did eventually pick up speed, but it was way too late for it to matter and I had let myself stay last pick for way too long and was seriously wood starved because of it. Fun game though! I could have salvaged it if I had grown grain in the meantime and focused on building up family members early.

Family members are overrated. I won a 3-player game yesterday with 2 wooden rooms and just 2 people all game (they got a baby in the very last turn, it has to sleep with the cow). While everyone else is busy building rooms and expanding their family, you should plow and sow grain/carrots and collect animals. Although I have to say I won cause I played the profession that gives +5 points to everyone who receives no penalties and I'd been very diverse in my farm.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

EVIR Gibson posted:

I also like to add the fact that even though they aren't, at first, a cyclon they need to consider that they might change into a cyclon later on in the game. So as a human, you want to put the ship into "average" status. Not doing too well, but not doing too poorly.

This isn't actually true, game theory-wise. If your chance of being a human post-sleeper is over 50% (and it always is, if you're human pre-sleeper), you give yourself the best overall chance of winning by being as helpful and anti-Cylon as possible. Remember, every little bit of an edge you give the Cylons is an edge you take away from the humans, and you're more likely to end up human than Cylon.

What does make sense is being careful and holding back some of your finite resources (cards, nukes, OPGs) until post-sleeper, when you can be sure that you're using them to advance your real agenda. But if you're human pre-sleeper, and you have a chance of helping the humans without using up too many of your resources, you should always take it.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

nimby posted:

Family members are overrated. I won a 3-player game yesterday with 2 wooden rooms and just 2 people all game (they got a baby in the very last turn, it has to sleep with the cow). While everyone else is busy building rooms and expanding their family, you should plow and sow grain/carrots and collect animals. Although I have to say I won cause I played the profession that gives +5 points to everyone who receives no penalties and I'd been very diverse in my farm.

Family members are usually better, especially when you can get them early, but I think the main point is that it is good to be in something that the other players are ignoring. It's not good to want sheep when multiple players are building fences, getting the cooking hearts, etc. But if you are the only one into grain, you have your pick of the oven, and plow/sow is available right when you need, and you don't need to spend your first action in a round on it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Would it be redundant to buy both Space Alert and Space Cadets?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The End posted:

Would it be redundant to buy both Space Alert and Space Cadets?

They are completely different games in almost every respect other than theme, so I'd say no.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I found Space Cadets to go over much better with a non-gaming/hobbyist group (though Space Alert is a Very Good Game).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I used TableTop Day as an excuse to finally play a couple staple board game that I've just never gotten around to playing: Catan and Puerto Rico. Both lots of fun! (unsurprisingly by their reputations, of course!)

Also introduced a couple players to Ticket to Ride, and slipped in a game of Uncharted: The Board Game because a) I enjoy the hell out of it, and b) I couldn't let TTD go by without playing any ameritrashy action game. :)

Our FLGS was packed with lots of stuff going on the whole time I was there (~3pm-12am) with lots and lots of different stuff going on. Definitely cool to see the event go well, seemingly; I hope it continues to be a thing and that it hopefully introduced lots of new people to lots of new forms of entertainment.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The only thing that's bumming me out about Space Cadets is that all the components seem so loving flimsy. At this price point I'd expect thicker cardboard for the game boards and all that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yesterday I introduced my non-gaming friends to Avalon: the Resistance. In Spain the boardgaming culture is mostly reduced to Risk and Monopoly, so suggesting playing a game (in another language, even) in a BYOB party before hitting a club didn't go so well. Despite several weird looks, the group decided to humour me.

I introduced Merlin from the start, and had the good luck to play a minion, thus making a mess of the entire proceedings. I managed to convince half of the good players that I was Merlin and the look on their face was hilarious when I revealed my card.

By the time the fifth match was over, 4 of the 9 players suggested staying for one or two rounds more, even if it was time for us to leave.

Next game two players (Merlin and, ironically, another good guy who Merlin had Lady'ed in order to build a confidence chain) were almost ready to start punching each other. The game after that, them and another player managed to pull a brilliant 1-3 bad guys victory and spend three minutes hugging each other and jumping around the room.

I love this game.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Black Stones posted:

So, want to thank the thread for the recommendation of Sentinels of the Multiverse because the group I play with loved it, even though the card art is horribly cheesy and we all had a good laugh about some of them and their backstories.

The first game we played was an unmitigated disaster as we didn't know our characters well and Baron Blade hosed with us hardcore and the location we choose did not help. So the 2 others picked new characters and I stayed the same(I was playing the Wraith and really liked her) and we switched out the Villain to Omnitron. Checking some things over we definitely played some things wrong (but whatever, know for next time) but I was, and still am really confused about how Omnitron works, his ability states that at the end of his turn, things get put into play, and we found that sometimes those cards also said at the end of the phase to do something. We found that we were getting just turbofucked by having them activate right away when that happens and said that because it got put into play in the end of phase nothing would activate. Did we eventually rule that right, or were we wrong there? If we were wrong, how the hell do you win the game? because we found that until we changed it to the second way of playing we never had a chance in hell, and then afterwards we were still getting beat around, but managed to pull out a slim victory.

You were playing it right the first time. Whenever cards try to activate during the same phase, they activate in the order they came into play. Omnitron was in play before whatever drones he spawns, so after he plays a drone, it will immediately attack. (Stuff that activates at the start of the villain turn like Electro-Pulse Explosive or some of his Components won't fire immediately, though.)

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I've had a great board gaming weekend. We played a bunch of dominion, mostly with random decks, we had one game that was mostly +X draw cards, with no trashing cards. The new guy bought a ton of villages and smithies, despite being recommended against it. It was fun to see him end up with large hands with useless cards and he actually still felt he accomplished something with it, despite only having 1 copper in a twelve card hand, while I just mined silver and gold.
Then we played some Small World, which was good fun, hadn't played it in a long time.
We also played K2 and Lords of Waterdeep, having a good time with both. And I picked up Mundus Novus yesterday, we've only had 2 plays of it so far, but it seems pretty good.

Does anybody have any good observations on Eminent Domain? I think I've seen it mentioned once or twice in the thread. And now I see there's a kickstarter for an expansion to it, where I'd be able to get ED and the expansion cheaper than what I'd be able to find it for around here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Honestly I really like Eminent, it feels like a streamlined deckbuilder (since everyone starts with multiple cards that thin your deck) that removes a really bad problem (not getting to do anything on other players' turns) with most deckbuilders. On the other hand, after fifteen or twenty plays, it's definitely gotten a little stale, which an expansion is very likely to help a lot with.

I know some people dislike it because, well, it's not really an exciting game in a lot of ways, but I enjoy it quite a lot, in a way I no longer enjoy Dominion. I really do like the ability to switch midway, i.e. if you feel like your strategy is going to fail miserably, you can trim the five or so cards that are that strategy out of your deck and suddenly you're able to take advantage of opponents' roles much better.

Oh, and I like Race a lot, and the role selection feels a lot like Race but the game is a lot less random.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

My god I have fallen in love with Sentinels of the Multiverse. Nightmist owns play Nightmist errday.

NPCChris
Jan 12, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Had a great time at Card Kingdom playing the resistance, which I purchased and then took to a barbecue and played about 5 more games of. I also played a print and play of dungeon roll, which was kinda neat but pretty boring when it's not your turn and not very satisfying when it is.

It was nice meeting you! While I didn't play Dungeon Roll, my friend had the same assessment. Particularly that there is too much time spent simply waiting for other players to take their turns.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
We bought and played Ugg-Tect last night with 7 people, and it was absolutely hilarious. We were worried about feeling stupid grunting and gesturing like cavemen, but everyone dove right in. It was especially enjoyable to watch a my sister and law and her boyfriend bicker in caveman grunts when they couldn't figure out what the other was trying to say/do.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Drove down to Columbus to go to the Columbus Area Boardgaming Society two day meeting for National Board Game Day and had a lot of fun!

Trip Report:

Seven Wonders: Played with Cities and Rulers for the first time ever. Ended up tied for third out of the 6 person game. It's definitely more fun with more people and I like the new cards a lot in the way they can give you new strategies to shoot for. Pretty solid time playing it. I've never been quite too good at the game though since I think I spend too much time gathering resources at the beginning while everyone else building up chains.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: This game is really fun even though I hate the card art on especially the older cards. It's definitely something I'd like to play more of but my one friend just hates the book keeping in it so I'm trying to convince a friend of mine who is really into superheroes in my other group he should grab it for us to play. I played as the Scholar alongside The Wraith and Chrono Ranger against Smite. Guy was a ridiculous pain in the rear end since I couldn't get out any of my ongoings since we had to remove two ongoings or equiptment and he had a drug effect allowing him to damage us everytime we used a power. We did manage to narrowly beat him when he flipped and our safehouse of people took out a massive chunk of damage and I used infernal Transmutation to neuter his attacks in the last round. Feel like I should have used that earlier when he was regenning health all day, everyday.

Battlestar Galactica: Played as President Admiral Saul Tigh, defender of humanity. Tossing Cylons in the brig all day, everyday. It was a lot of fun since our president was a Cylon and we sussed it out early and I immediately declared Martial Law and threw his rear end in the Brig. We wanted to execute out of the air lock but he revealed too soon. We jumped to 8 distance when our fuel finally ran out because we were hemorrhaging it the entire game. It was pretty ridiculous how many skill checks we lost. Everyone kept blowing up and losing cards! Lots of fun even though we lost. I was only disappointed we lost before it was my turn again so I could Air Lock the other Cylon who was our crew chief that managed to repair absolutely nothing once we got to the sleeper phase. Those new cards with the personal objectives are such a complete pain in the rear end to complete sometimes. I was supposed to throw out 20 strength in cards which I thought was pretty ridiculous. I managed to get through mine about about having 6 damaged raptors at least. The expansions really make the game interesting.

Through the Ages: I was excited about Vlaada but this game really lacked a lot of the charm of his other games and had a bizarre amount of book keeping going on. We only played through Age I but while it wasn't terrible I don't think it's something I'd want to be playing regularly. I got too excited about colonizing new territory I didn't realize how painful the military repercussions would be.

18XX: Super autistic train stock trading game. Was supposed to be 5 hours long and I don't know why I agreed to try it out. Ended up opting out to get some dinner when I realized just how long this poo poo was going to take.

Agricola: Probably my favorite board game! This sin't news though since I just love Agricola with a bizarre passion anyway. It was fun to play with people a little more into the game than who I play with. I just really love this game and was glad to play it some more. It only got better when we played...

Agricola: Farmers of the Moor: This expansion was really a lot of fun and I want to play with it regularly. Adding a lot of maintenance work for your actual farm was great and I liked the strategic importance of horses. I eventually got my carrot food engine rolling with my Gardener card and didn't need to worry about food the rest of the game and just burned my excess coping horses the rest of the game. It really changes the game by not being able to bum rush houses because you still need to heat the drat things. Lots of fun and I really like this expansion. It just opens up so many new possibilities to the game! I also managed to win my first time playing the expansion so I felt a fancy man. Ended up with 52 points with all of my improvements etc.

Ghost Stories: This game is seriously hard as hell. Even on the easy settings the ghosts were running a train on us fr three games before we finally beat Wu Feng and I'm convinced we screwed up a few tings. We got to the point where I accidentally chained like 6 ghosts together because each one had the summon another ghost ability as their entering play ability. It was ridiculous. Still had a lot of fun though!

Circus Maximo: I think that was the title at least. We had to put on different plays in ancient Rome. I was doing terrible in rounds 3 and 4 until I managed to snap up all of the bards, poets, and priests and put on a full show with the emperor in attendance and three star performers and came out of no where to win with a play of 85 points. Pretty fun but I hate negotiating with other players for stuff since it just gets a bit cumbersome expecially near the end when people get snippy with each other.

Really disappointed I didn't get to play Galaxy Trucker which is one of my favorites. Such a fun game. I'm hoping we get a reprint of the Anniversary Edition soon since it's the price of te expansions is seriously about the same and I can sell/gift my copy of the base game. The only problem I have with the game is I think we've gotten too good at building our ships since we're not getting sodomized quite the was we used to. There is still the one guy who doesn't bother to look at the cards and doesn't understand why his ship is disintegrating around him. I really can't express how much I like this game. It's just zany fun and it's a lot easier to get people into than Agricola which is apparently to some people an incredibly stressful experience, haha. I always find it bizarre when I hear some peoples house rules for Agricola where there are certain tiles anyone can use even if its being blocked and whatever other nonsense they come up with so the game is more 'fair'. I'll never understand people...

All in all, I had a lot of fun. If only it wasn't a two hour drive to this thing I'd go more often.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Ray posted:

Through the Ages: I was excited about Vlaada but this game really lacked a lot of the charm of his other games and had a bizarre amount of book keeping going on. We only played through Age I but while it wasn't terrible I don't think it's something I'd want to be playing regularly. I got too excited about colonizing new territory I didn't realize how painful the military repercussions would be.

Military is something you go all out. Pick up Julius Caesar or Genghis Khan early, place a tactics card, grab warfare, and start "feeding the beast" (that is, the event pile). Thing is, once you have at least double an opponent's strength you're pretty much unstoppable unless they throw their entire hand of defense cards against you. Military units are cheap and plentiful while arenas will replace temples for generating happiness and strength. Aggression actions are weak early but in Age III you get all the major warfare and culture stealing aggression cards which are really good. Just pray Gandhi doesn't appear first turn into Age III or else that guy is practically locked out.

Getting a lot of military actions is also a great defense against military. I played one game where I was 40+ points behind in the middle of Age II with 0 strength. I switched to Constitutional Monarchy and through a few other cards I had 5 military actions. I ended up getting every good aggression and warfare card in my hand for the rest of the game aaaaaand into the discard pile it went (oh, assassinate and war for culture? Goodbye!). I picked up Shakespeare and had a killer theater/library thing going, getting +30 culture each turn and won the game. Nobody attacked me because I had a handful of +4/+6 defense cards and every good military card went right into the discard pile.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Der Shovel posted:

The only thing that's bumming me out about Space Cadets is that all the components seem so loving flimsy. At this price point I'd expect thicker cardboard for the game boards and all that.

I used to have this opinion of alot of games, as though the producers were cheaping out of component quality. Then I heard an interview where someone pointed out that thin cardstock for player mats and boards is often used because it is far less likely that someone will accidentally bump or shift the board and jumble whatever things are arrayed on it, which could completely undo a game like Space Cadets. So I try to keep that sort of thing in mind now when I judge a game's component quality.

That said, if there is a main non-modular board that everyone is using, that thing had better be mounted.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You were playing it right the first time. Whenever cards try to activate during the same phase, they activate in the order they came into play. Omnitron was in play before whatever drones he spawns, so after he plays a drone, it will immediately attack. (Stuff that activates at the start of the villain turn like Electro-Pulse Explosive or some of his Components won't fire immediately, though.)

Also important to note that it has been officially clarified that if new cards are brought into play during a phase and have effects that activate during that same phase, they get added to the end of the queue for resolving that phase. (And if you're resolving an effect and a reaction effect makes new targets for that effect available, they are legal targets. So, for example, Fanatic has a card End of Days that will explode essentially all the cards in play. Grand Warlord Voss has a card called Forced Deployment that when destroyed will spawn more of his minions. End of Days will pop Forced Deployment, then pop the minions it spawns as well.)

In general, with a very few exceptions, Sentinels plays exactly as written. If something says it happens in a phase, it happens in that phase even if that card just entered play in that phase. Unity's golems say they can't be played during her play phase...but if you somehow get the ability to play a card in some other phase (even another hero's play phase), then you can plop 'em down. If you have Omnitron-X out against Omnitron-the-villain, you can use Omnitron-X's "destroy X component cards to do damage" card to destroy Omnitron-the-villain's component cards. Etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wouldn't call 18XX 'super-austistic'. We manage to get a whole range of people to play it in my group but we usually don't play the longer ones until people have had a chance to play the shorter ones a couple of times. I guess you have to be someone that likes euros more than other games but 18xx aren't really anymore difficult than a lot of other games. Also, they tend to be good if you play with people that like to manipulate the market to their advantage. Which one did you play? I can imagine 1830/1856/1870 taking too long if you are new to the game. If you didn't like it the first time I doubt you are going to give it another chance though.

Through the Ages is something that you need to learn before you can truly play well: you almost never want to sacrifice too much to get colonies unless you have a chance to immediately build your military back up. I would suggest giving it another try, the book-keeping is not too bad once you get used to it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I did around twelve hours of board gaming yesterday, doing a few hours at my FLGS before moving on to my friend's place for another batch of games. Highlights include scoring on every question in Wits and Wagers, with a risky Round 6 bet netting me 100ish chips and propelling me to victory, a solid Agricola victory where I had no squares occupied by the halfway point (but a nifty clay engine going), and a nice Battlestar Galactica game that came down to a die roll in the humans' favor after starting the game with a ton of "Morale or Fuel" choice crises and a point where all four Heavies were one activation away from giving us four Centurions half-way in.

Overall a nice, if exhausting, day.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Dungeon Lords: Festival Season makes the best worker placement game available even better. That's pretty much all I remember from yesterday.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Best worker placement is Dominant Species.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
The best worker placement is clearly Caylus...

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't call 18XX 'super-austistic'. We manage to get a whole range of people to play it in my group but we usually don't play the longer ones until people have had a chance to play the shorter ones a couple of times. I guess you have to be someone that likes euros more than other games but 18xx aren't really anymore difficult than a lot of other games. Also, they tend to be good if you play with people that like to manipulate the market to their advantage. Which one did you play? I can imagine 1830/1856/1870 taking too long if you are new to the game. If you didn't like it the first time I doubt you are going to give it another chance though.

Through the Ages is something that you need to learn before you can truly play well: you almost never want to sacrifice too much to get colonies unless you have a chance to immediately build your military back up. I would suggest giving it another try, the book-keeping is not too bad once you get used to it.

I was kind of joking with the whole autism thing. It was 1830 I believe as well. I was just really lost and everyone else has played before so I was just doing whatever anyone said to do. I'd be willing to try it again as long as its a shorter one. This was gearing up to be a loooooooong haul before I bailed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, the problem with the shorter ones is that they are very hard to get, since you either have to buy them second hand or order them from a website that is pretty much a one man shop.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
Does any one have a verdict on the Warhmmer 40k Relic game? I've recently started getting my 40k playing friends into board games and they all want to try it out. So far We've played Pandemic, Escape from Atlantis, and the Blood Bowl team manager card game.

I know it's based on Talisman, and people seem pretty down on that. I've only played Talisman once about 15 years ago so I can't really remember how it plays though. And I hear Relic changes the gameplay up somewhat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fenrif posted:

Does any one have a verdict on the Warhmmer 40k Relic game? I've recently started getting my 40k playing friends into board games and they all want to try it out. So far We've played Pandemic, Escape from Atlantis, and the Blood Bowl team manager card game.

I know it's based on Talisman, and people seem pretty down on that. I've only played Talisman once about 15 years ago so I can't really remember how it plays though. And I hear Relic changes the gameplay up somewhat.

Haven't played Relic (and not interested in doing so, ahem) but I'm surprised you haven't played Chaos in the Old World. It's thematic and a decent game to boot.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

al-azad posted:

Haven't played Relic (and not interested in doing so, ahem) but I'm surprised you haven't played Chaos in the Old World. It's thematic and a decent game to boot.

We're actually playing that this friday. I've got quite a few games for us to play. I've only got these guys into boardgames in the past few weeks though, so we've not had time to go through all the ones I own yet. When I first suggested board games to them they were dead set against it untill I realised they thought I meant monopoly/scrabble/risk/etc. So I thought I'd start them out with some lighter stuff.

I think the main reason they want to try Relic is the theme, and unfortunatly there doesn't seem to be a wide amount of choice in the field of 40k-based-games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

fenrif posted:

We're actually playing that this friday. I've got quite a few games for us to play. I've only got these guys into boardgames in the past few weeks though, so we've not had time to go through all the ones I own yet. When I first suggested board games to them they were dead set against it untill I realised they thought I meant monopoly/scrabble/risk/etc. So I thought I'd start them out with some lighter stuff.

I think the main reason they want to try Relic is the theme, and unfortunatly there doesn't seem to be a wide amount of choice in the field of 40k-based-games.

Games Workshop has tended to be super-paranoid about approving anything they think might compete with their core wargaming business. My understanding is that even Relic wasn't allowed to have anything approximating miniatures in it, hence the player markers being busts instead of full figure sculpts or standees or whatever. It's frustrating to me because I love the setting but I have no interest -whatsoever- in getting into miniature gaming nor dealing with a business model that expensive.

• Locked thread