Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

nm posted:

Get a quality, safe dyno tune from a reputable tuner.
The main problem as I understand it is that the USDM tune, and to a lesser extent, the cobb tunes can lean out.
Not tracking the poo poo out of the car my help too.

Wow you sure are bitter about LGT's

Aside from "Oh Jesus what was noise?" and "What was that?" and "Why does it sound like that in the morning"? I have had very few complains. Then again I bought my 05' car ridiculously maintained by a hardware store owner with about 68K miles.

Done about 10k, not fear free mind you, as everything scares about that car, but aside from tires, rebuilding the calipers and wheel nuts, no major issues. "it's been reliable and never left me stranded", he said as he knocks on a massive sherman sized lump of wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

daslog posted:

Sounds awesome. Make a new thread with pictures and we can help.

Definitely do this.

And if you want the special phase 1 tools (crank socket and cam sprocket holders) they're yours if you pay for shipping, assuming I can find them.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Just ordered a non-STI WRX hatch today. My first ever new car. I'm pretty pumped. I did the Costco Auto Program thing, and their price was like $600 under invoice, which was sweet.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

gvibes posted:

Just ordered a non-STI WRX hatch today. My first ever new car. I'm pretty pumped. I did the Costco Auto Program thing, and their price was like $600 under invoice, which was sweet.

Good, you've saved the cash for an accessport then. Good work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mulligan posted:

Wow you sure are bitter about LGT's

I actually love my car but dumping $6k to make the thing keep working makes you paranoid.
The transmission thing was more of a fluke, but subaru really hosed up the pistons and tuning on the EJ257.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

nm posted:

I actually love my car but dumping $6k to make the thing keep working makes you paranoid.
The transmission thing was more of a fluke, but subaru really hosed up the pistons and tuning on the EJ257.

I'm at 70K on my '08 LGT with no real problems, as in didn't cost me money. My gearbox had a bearing whine so I took it in before warranty was up and got it rebuilt for free. Replaced the front passenger hub. Beyond that it has been oil changes every 5000 miles with Rotella t6.

I warned my wife when we bought it used that the engine has the potential for failure and if that happens I'm buying a built long block. Until then it is a reliable commuter for the 72 miles I drive a day on the hilly, winding back roads of SE Washington. 27mpg average.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Terminus Est posted:

27mpg average.

This has me thinking "bullshit."

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Larrymer posted:

I actually hit 30+ mpg on a road trip years ago in my 08, and during summer I easily manage 26+ on the commute. It's all in the driver and the characteristics of the commute.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

CloFan posted:

Thinking about getting a Crosstrek XV. Searching the thread, I see a few post about it but not too much. I know it's a lifted Impreza, but I love the look and it should be a big upgrade from my current car, a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that's starting to fall apart. Anyone got any opinions on it? Looking around, it seems to have really positive reviews.

My girlfriend just bought one. 2013 venetian red, premium trim with moonroof. The premium with cloth still gets heated seats which is somewhat rare nowadays at least when we were looking at other manufacturers. The engine bay is pretty spacious compared to my WRX, and the oil filter is right in front of the engine bay as well.
You can see the engine bay here:

The moonroof is nice, not sure if you were considering that option. She decided against navigation, the stock stereo still has bluetooth and all of that though. Nav gets a backup camera though. Fully loaded this car can get up to like 28,000 though. She got her premium with moonroof, all weather package, auto-dimming mirror, as well as the all weather floor mats and cargo mat at invoice at 23900.

Online reviewers complain that it is slow, 148 horsepower and all. It seems fairly responsive, even with the CVT. Its not a "fast" car by any means, but it has no trouble keeping up. Gets pretty good mileage.

Your grand cherokee has a cargo volume of 72 cubic feet with the seats down, the crosstrek has like 52 with the rear seats down. In that way I'm not sure if its adequate as a replacement if you use that sort of space regularly. The forester is more comparable in that realm of interior space. It's up to you if you want to downsize.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hollis Brown posted:

My girlfriend just bought one. 2013 venetian red, premium trim with moonroof. The premium with cloth still gets heated seats which is somewhat rare nowadays at least when we were looking at other manufacturers. The engine bay is pretty spacious compared to my WRX, and the oil filter is right in front of the engine bay as well.
You can see the engine bay here:

The moonroof is nice, not sure if you were considering that option. She decided against navigation, the stock stereo still has bluetooth and all of that though. Nav gets a backup camera though. Fully loaded this car can get up to like 28,000 though. She got her premium with moonroof, all weather package, auto-dimming mirror, as well as the all weather floor mats and cargo mat at invoice at 23900.

Online reviewers complain that it is slow, 148 horsepower and all. It seems fairly responsive, even with the CVT. Its not a "fast" car by any means, but it has no trouble keeping up. Gets pretty good mileage.

Your grand cherokee has a cargo volume of 72 cubic feet with the seats down, the crosstrek has like 52 with the rear seats down. In that way I'm not sure if its adequate as a replacement if you use that sort of space regularly. The forester is more comparable in that realm of interior space. It's up to you if you want to downsize.

I would have bought one if they were available when I needed to buy a car. That said, the Crosstrek is an Impreza with a few inches more ground clearance, stiffened rear end, and slightly different gearing. There seems to be more aftermarket support directed at the Crosstrek, but those parts should all fit the Impreza anyway. If you don't need the ground clearance, just get an Impreza for a few grand less for the same trim level.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I think that true, although somewhat of a simplification. The cladding, wheels, and colors available are exclusive to the Crosstrek. Some would prefer such things, as well as the general convenience and qualities to a higher ride. In that sense, I do not think it is an obvious choice to get the regular Impreza.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hollis Brown posted:

My girlfriend just bought one. 2013 venetian red, premium trim with moonroof. The premium with cloth still gets heated seats which is somewhat rare nowadays at least when we were looking at other manufacturers.

That's the exact setup I was looking at. I don't want nav but do want most everything else. I love that the seat adjustments are mechanical instead of power, and the heated seats will be nice. You got a really good price!

Thanks for the size comparison; I didn't realize there was such a difference. I have to make a special out of town trip to test drive one, so I really just need to go do that. I looked at the Forrester, but I decided I'd sacrifice the larger interior for gas mileage and price. Considered the Impreza as well, but it can't beat the Crosstrek in looks. The other the cars in the running are Mazda3, Kia Soul, and Hyundai Elantra, all hatchback. I know what recommendation I'll get in the subaru thread :v: but I figure I'd mention them. The Subaru is my pick right now, barring some test drives.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I dunno, I'd get the Elantra if I were struck blind from birth and also had no hands.

I'd get the Kia Soul if I were a 45 year old spinster with four teacup poodles. I fully expect those to occupy the same spot on the last-chance zero-credit dealership lots as the Cube, HHR and PT Cruiser in five years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Mazda 3 is a great car too, in my opinion. I love mine. It's a 2006 though, not a new model.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I dunno, I'd get the Elantra if I were struck blind from birth and also had no hands.
During my hatchback/wagon search I started by looking at car makers that I knew were in my price range. The Elantra came up and got canned so loving fast my Recycle Bin didn't work for a week.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Larrymer posted:

Heavily patrolled with ticket happy cops means sitting at a constant 60 mph for 36 miles straight with no traffic and only speeding up and slowing down once during the whole commute.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Quick questions about the accessport--forgive me if they have been answered ad nauseum, but I can't find consensus anywhere. I have a 2013 WRX--I take it an accessport will void my warranty if the dealership knows about it, but I also understand you can flash back to factory settings. Is there any way for the dealership to find out that the ECU has been previously flashed?

Also, how much a benefit will I get out of it if everything else is bone stock? I'm more interested in increasing throttle response and decreasing turbo lag than I am increasing peak power. I live in the land of 92 octane, if that makes any difference.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

e: nevermind this is a poor use of money right now.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 1, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Larrymer posted:

That's almost smack bang on what I got with a bunch of turbo Subarus. Unless you sit in traffic, I dont understand how others manage to get less. Hell, the 300kgs heavier 6 litre sedan I drive day to day does 10.5 litres per 100 kms in my hands, the 06 WRX was no problem to achieve 9.5 litres per 100 km

That said, the Commodore takes any old garbage fuel while the WRX enforced 98 RON. 15 cents a litre difference at best kinda makes the economy difference a mute point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My average is almost always 20.4 mpg on the 2011. I rarely sit in traffic.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
How bad of an idea is is it to buy a 380000km subaru?
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-SUBARU-AWD-SAFETY-AND-ETEST-W0QQAdIdZ415754605
I want a project car for fun, not as a dd.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If it is for fun, don't buy an automatic.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

il serpente cosmico posted:

Quick questions about the accessport--forgive me if they have been answered ad nauseum, but I can't find consensus anywhere. I have a 2013 WRX--I take it an accessport will void my warranty if the dealership knows about it, but I also understand you can flash back to factory settings. Is there any way for the dealership to find out that the ECU has been previously flashed?

Also, how much a benefit will I get out of it if everything else is bone stock? I'm more interested in increasing throttle response and decreasing turbo lag than I am increasing peak power. I live in the land of 92 octane, if that makes any difference.
Hey new WRX owner buddy. Regarding the first point, Cobb Tuning seems to think that there is probably no way for a dealer to find out.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33444959&postcount=5
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-general/174447-can-soa-find-out-if-ecu-flashed.html

But I know people post otherwise.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The 05 LGT chat was a little bit a while ago.

Guy in the local club "wtb vf52, mine blew with only 15k miles"

Me, time to start saving for a shortblock.

him "yep motor just ate itself"

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

How bad of an idea is is it to buy a 380000km subaru?
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-SUBARU-AWD-SAFETY-AND-ETEST-W0QQAdIdZ415754605
I want a project car for fun, not as a dd.

Hahha what the gently caress, that is an absurd price for a 400k subaru, even in :canada:. You can do way better. Pretty sure you could get a 2.5rs for that price if you looked hard enough.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

il serpente cosmico posted:

It won't "void" it. They'll just deny the warranty claim if something goes wrong that could have been caused by it. Which being the ECU could be anything. The dealer can apparently see if the original map was changed but this is highly disputed. It's also disputed if it can even be used to prove anything. I think it is just a checksum difference but I could be wrong. 92 octane could be weird because AFAIK Cobb only has 91 and 93 octane maps for the off the shelf options. You'll notice a nice difference on stage 1 though.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho
hey I've got this 96 Legacy that I'm basically replacing the front clip on because my mom rear ended a lexus and since Subaru are cocksuckers and pinch weld the whole core support to the body for no reason I'm kind of confused as to how I should proceed from here as my mechanic skills are mostly limited to boltin' stuff and unboltin' stuff:

big pics:

http://i.imgur.com/6OB02oJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pEw0XEO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OCPUE8Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FV4wxmu.jpg

I've got the replacement top and middle pieces but I think I can just leave the middle piece that's there, should I just pry and cut the top piece off and grind the bits away and bolt the new one in or what? Also is that front radiator guy just for the AC or is it necessary? Because the AC's never worked in that car and I'll just pull that poo poo all out I don't give a crap I just want the car to drive (it actually drove fine with the radiator punched in and the fans all crunched and stuff, one of the headlight assemblies was held in entirely by the cables and nothing else)

It's loving pinch welded everywhere, the whole top side and center pieces are pinch welded on every edge to everything they touch while at the same time being bolted :argh:

i'm not worried about those bottom side pieces, I don't think they need replaced, just the top bar, it's just attached to everything ahh why did they do that

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 1, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That "radiator" is the AC condenser I'd assume. Usually just has two metal hard lines going to it and cools the refrigerant like the radiator cools the water/coolant. It can be removed if you don't care about AC.

The new core support needs to be welded in if that's how it was before. If you're not comfortable doing that I'd take it somewhere.

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
Yes seriously please don't try and bolt that car back together. It must be welded.

AlexanderCarrillo
Nov 27, 2012
When I purchased my 2013 Impreza WRX, I had no idea that doing so automatically submitted my soul into this cult.

I have never seen anything more happy to see me than another WRX owner out on the road. Girlfriends, even my dog were never as ecstatic to see me. A wave, a friendly honk, followed by either a smile or a nod as either he or I pass.

I'll be honest, that poo poo is infectious.

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

AlexanderCarrillo posted:

I have never seen anything more happy to see me than another WRX owner out on the road. Girlfriends, even my dog were never as ecstatic to see me. A wave, a friendly honk, followed by either a smile or a nod as either he or I pass.

Best: Middle aged men and women in STIs enjoying their cars and enjoying me enjoying mine.

Worst: Teenagers in GC8s either a) trying to race me or b) engage in some obscure Subaru mating ritual of which I haven't yet been informed.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
I was working on the 2.5 over the weekend and noticed that a grounding wire was unbolted and laying on top of the block. There's a threaded hole for a 12mm bolt suspiciously close to where the grounding bracket was laying. It's pretty much below the throttle linkage pivot and 2" or so ahead of where the starter is mounted. Is this where the ground is bolted to? Sorry for no pics.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Probably. The main ground comes from the battery and attaches to a little bracket on the upper starter bolt. Then there is another small one going from the pitch stop mount on the firewall to a bolt on the transmission case.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

jamal posted:

Probably. The main ground comes from the battery and attaches to a little bracket on the upper starter bolt. Then there is another small one going from the pitch stop mount on the firewall to a bolt on the transmission case.

Ah..ok, Thanks. I had a feeling that the bracket would bolt to the top starter bolt. I removed the bracket and bolted the cable eye directly to the block...mainly because I didn't have an extra 12mm bolt that was short enough. I'm going to re-do it properly. I understand there are grounding issues in general so I wouldn't want to contribute to them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That should be fine. As long as it's bolted to something it's not really a big deal. The other main ground goes from the negative terminal to the chassis right next to the battery. So make sure those are all there and that the terminals area clean. I had an issue where the ground wire came loose from my battery clamp so I replaced that whole section.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 1, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AlexanderCarrillo posted:

When I purchased my 2013 Impreza WRX, I had no idea that doing so automatically submitted my soul into this cult.

No one waves in socal :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My 2002 is making me paranoid engine-wise. The sad part is, I don't know if it's really any worse than it ever is or if I'm just noticing things more switching between the '11 and it.

From cold until it REALLY warms up now, I get a "tick tick tick tick tick" which is completely normal for these engines for the most part. I'm just trying to decide if driving it more this winter has gotten me to notice it more or if it actually is getting worse. It generally smooths out and vanishes above 1500 rpm or so and it's pretty much gone off idle once the car warms up.

It's probably just noisy valves, some mild piston slap, or even noisy injectors. I'm just pretty much sure it's not the timing belt tensionor (or any of the idlers and waterpump) as I just replaced it about 2 years (and maybe 6k miles) ago. I keep being alarmist though and thinking "get rid of it before the engine blows!"

For reference, it sounds EXACTLY like this video. It just takes until the car is fully warmed up to pretty much vanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlOemrjyk8

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sounds fine to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, like I said, I'm probably just being overly paranoid. I'm at this point where I have to decide if I want to start putting more money into the '02 to keep it on the road (rust fixing, new tires, some suspension work) and I have this voice saying "you do this and 500 miles later the engine will blow!"

My '11 is so much quieter by comparison that my perspective for noisiness has probably been skewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, like I said, I'm probably just being overly paranoid. I'm at this point where I have to decide if I want to start putting more money into the '02 to keep it on the road (rust fixing, new tires, some suspension work) and I have this voice saying "you do this and 500 miles later the engine will blow!"

My '11 is so much quieter by comparison that my perspective for noisiness has probably been skewed.

My built 03 makes the same noise. Perfectly normal.