Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Plutonis posted:

Riki-Oh owns, and i went bonkers when i found out they actually downplayed some of the ludicrous violence on the live action movie. Look at this.

I actually had that page saved and considered using it, but it's the Star of David/Swastika on hand craziness that sold me on the manga!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Eh...I used to read Aiki, but I got kinda tired of the rather frequent sex.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Tonari no Seki kun is a manga about a girl watching a boy playing weirdly elaborate games while in class.

I really like that the author sticks to this very simple concept for quite a while, just changing the game and getting more and more ridiculous each time.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Gisele Alain

Somewhat at a loss with finding a suitable page for this one, so I defaulted to its highly-detailed art.

Young landlady takes odd jobs in old France for the heck of it. Meets new friends and adopts cats.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Gisele Alain

Somewhat at a loss with finding a suitable page for this one, so I defaulted to its highly-detailed art.

Young landlady takes odd jobs in old France for the heck of it. Meets new friends and adopts cats.

The building looks nice, but the girl's skirt and lady's shawl really take away from the effect because they have that "unmoving plaid" design.

Compare that to the patterns in Otoyomegatari and you can see the different between 'texture that was pasted on using layers in photoshop' and actual hand-drawn textures:

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

of bees posted:

The building looks nice, but the girl's skirt and lady's shawl really take away from the effect because they have that "unmoving plaid" design.

Compare that to the patterns in Otoyomegatari and you can see the different between 'texture that was pasted on using layers in photoshop' and actual hand-drawn textures:

Sorry, I wouldn't hold anyone to the standards of Otoyomegatari. She's just an absolutely amazing/insane artist.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Agreed. Simply "not living up to the art standards of Otoyomegatari" shouldn't really keep you from reading something ever.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

of bees posted:

I think that's a valid criticism, but I wouldn't think it prevents people from actually reading the manga. Some of my favorite manga had the worst art, like Shingeki no Kyojin and Liar Game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Shindere Shoujo to Kodoku na Shinigami

The first couple of chapters aren't that representative of the rest of it, but it's a pretty cool mystery story dealing with a small island and the secret of immortality. The male lead is pretty amazing once he gets over his "literally everyone I am close to dies messily" complex. Which, in retrospect, may be a subtle joke about murder mystery detectives. Very clever, author. :v:

(There's one scene I'd love to post from chapter 13, but that's way too drat spoilery for this thread, more's the pity. It's the cat scene.)

It's in a rapid catch-up period, thanks to not being scanlated for a while, so now's a pretty good time to read it.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Pigasus posted:

I think that's a valid criticism, but I wouldn't think it prevents people from actually reading the manga. Some of my favorite manga had the worst art, like Shingeki no Kyojin and Liar Game.

Agreed. I for one would really recommend Angel Densetsu but wouldn't be able to post a panel simple because the art is rather sub par and might scare people off.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

CVE posted:

Agreed. I for one would really recommend Angel Densetsu but wouldn't be able to post a panel simple because the art is rather sub par and might scare people off.

Angel Densetsu begins with some absolutely horrendous art, but it does develop into a pretty neat style. It should not stop anybody from reading it though, because it's something special.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

Muromi by the Seashore

Can you post a link to this? My Google-fu is weak.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It would be Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san, and I don't know that *anyone* is translating it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Okasvi posted:

Can you post a link to this? My Google-fu is weak.

From what I can see it hasn't been scanlated into English. http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=40485

It is slated to get an anime soon so maybe someone will pick it up then.

efb

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Ah ok. Nevermind then.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Okasvi posted:

Ah ok. Nevermind then.

Yeah sorry about that. It was more a 'convince someone to watch the anime with one image'. Pretty much whenever a manga gets an anime someone starts scanlating it pretty soon after, though.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Pigasus posted:

Pretty much this. You can like something and read it while still criticizing it. I wasn't saying Gisele Alain is forever ruined and that I wouldn't try it, it's just something I noticed while looking at that picture.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Einander posted:

Shindere Shoujo to Kodoku na Shinigami

The first couple of chapters aren't that representative of the rest of it, but it's a pretty cool mystery story dealing with a small island and the secret of immortality. The male lead is pretty amazing once he gets over his "literally everyone I am close to dies messily" complex. Which, in retrospect, may be a subtle joke about murder mystery detectives. Very clever, author. :v:

(There's one scene I'd love to post from chapter 13, but that's way too drat spoilery for this thread, more's the pity. It's the cat scene.)

It's in a rapid catch-up period, thanks to not being scanlated for a while, so now's a pretty good time to read it.

I like this! It has pretty good writing and an interesting twist. [Later chapter spoilers] I like how the guy gradually goes from ":cry: Another person died because I got too close to them!" to ":ughh: she died AGAIN Jesus I can't leave you alone for like TWO SECONDS". Nishigami is a goony gently caress in 18, but that's alright considering his age - I bet most of us had moments like that when we were that young. Upcoming mystery seems like a sideshow, but who knows? Looking forward to more Ace Detective regardless.

Do you know how many more chapters are left before we're caught up?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Batigh posted:

I like this! It has pretty good writing and an interesting twist. [Later chapter spoilers] I like how the guy gradually goes from ":cry: Another person died because I got too close to them!" to ":ughh: she died AGAIN Jesus I can't leave you alone for like TWO SECONDS". Nishigami is a goony gently caress in 18, but that's alright considering his age - I bet most of us had moments like that when we were that young. Upcoming mystery seems like a sideshow, but who knows? Looking forward to more Ace Detective regardless.

Do you know how many more chapters are left before we're caught up?

It's in Gangan Online (free to view, even), and according to my rudimentary understanding of the language, chapter 19 is current and chapter 20 comes out on the 28th. It looks like it's a monthly, unfortunately. I thought there were more chapters already out... Unfortunate.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

boblemoche posted:

Tonari no Seki kun is a manga about a girl watching a boy playing weirdly elaborate games while in class.

I really like that the author sticks to this very simple concept for quite a while, just changing the game and getting more and more ridiculous each time.

Bumping this to let you guys know this manga has been confirmed for an anime:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Attaque.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Attaque

Manwha, actually about fencing. Kinda neat vibe so far as the original main character seems like a completely evil piece of poo poo but the antagonist seems to be someone good who turns into an rear end in a top hat as well. Interested to see where it's going.

Violates 'single image' I know, but there was so little content per frame I couldn't resist.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Breaky posted:

Attaque.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Attaque

Manwha, actually about fencing. Kinda neat vibe so far as the original main character seems like a completely evil piece of poo poo but the antagonist seems to be someone good who turns into an rear end in a top hat as well. Interested to see where it's going.

Violates 'single image' I know, but there was so little content per frame I couldn't resist.

Pffft, Epee and Saber, try using a real weapon :smug:

Joking aside, I'm enjoying this, if only because I fence myself.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Blade of the Immortal: a good time to start (re)reading this great series since there are only 1 or 2 chapters left to translate/scanlate. I like the fact that there is a female secondary character in a samurai manga who is even stronger than main antagonist (as far as I've read) and possibly the best fighter overall there. I'm liking this series even more than Vagabond.

Kaibutsu Oujo (Resurrection Princess)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Teppu deserves a repost now.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
One day a guy's childhood friend randomly grows dog ears and a tail, but what can he do?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Recently found Sora no Shita Yane no Naka a manga about a girl and her quest for employment.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
Looks like the translators are pick up the pace and finishing the two last volumes, so here's some Kabu no Isaki

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

A masterpiece among modern adaptations, the translator of this series has opted to painstakingly work each line into a complex weave of language that, at times, reaches above and beyond the capabilities of the average human's understanding. At times, he even discards the modern fashion of typesetting, preferring instead to mark in his own hand the dialogues of unworldly beauty within.

And by that, I mean that when lines aren't blatantly written with the MS Paint brushes, they're written in almost indecipherable Shakespearean English/Latin hybrid. A must read, I'd say.

Edit: upon further reading, chapter 3 seems to be the last chapter done by the translating god. Reading past, as such, is to be done at one's own risk.

BrilliantFool fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 9, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BrilliantFool posted:

And by that, I mean that when lines aren't blatantly written with the MS Paint brushes, they're written in almost indecipherable Shakespearean English/Latin hybrid. A must read, I'd say.
This is just bizarre enough to read. Kinda want to see what else he translates now.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 9, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least on Batoto, that guy's done a lot of weird troll translations. I'm not sure what his deal is.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Drifting Classroom

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blhue posted:

At least on Batoto, that guy's done a lot of weird troll translations. I'm not sure what his deal is.

Haha I'm so hilarious. I'm trolling these people so hard by putting so much effort into every single bit even though most people will look at the first page and immediately go do something else.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Zandracon posted:

Looks like the translators are pick up the pace and finishing the two last volumes, so here's some Kabu no Isaki

Thank you for reminding me that this exists. When I last checked there were too little chapters translated.

To add, the author of this is also responsible for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Haha I'm so hilarious. I'm trolling these people so hard by putting so much effort into every single bit even though most people will look at the first page and immediately go do something else.

Making jokes that only you will ever find funny and then laughing hysterically at them is a noble tradition.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Stumbled across this one called 6 no Trigger, kind of like Killer 7 but more shonen-ish, especially when each assassin has their own character flaws.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Schneider Heim posted:

Thank you for reminding me that this exists. When I last checked there were too little chapters translated.

To add, the author of this is also responsible for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

too bad the art is a bit underwhelming after the marvelousness of YKK, but it still has that great atmosphere

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Are there any versions of this that aren't troll adaptations?

A lot of the stuff from this thread has completely changed my outlook on manga. I've never been so excited to read about how a hardcore 2ch user could manage a relationship :v: (Molester Man)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's been here like 2-3 times but goddamn The Breaker and The Breaker:New Waves have some :black101: panels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bonnouji, a PROPER, ACTIVE love story about a boy who gets weird stuff shipped to him from his brother, and a girl who finds it all, and him, just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Shougeki no Soma, a story about magical cabbage.

Okay, so it's a cooking manga.

• Locked thread