Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Writh posted:

Most of my life I didn't like Superman, save for when I was really young. But as I get older, Superman came to mean so much more to me. Honestly, when you actually GET what Superman is about the thought of world without his stories being told seems like such a sad place. Morrison's run has really had some great emotional points, I still get misty when I read Action #13 (the Krypto issue). And I totally said my name backwards.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea when I was young I didn't like him much because 'oh man he has all the powers who cares', but as I grew up and still kept reading him every once in a while that whole 'we love him because he has all this power but still sees the base ideals of humanity to be the ultimate guiding force even when we ourselves don't' thing really was able to sink in. He's really easy to write off as a dude who just does anything, but you have to look past that for it to really be powerful. I don't know, maybe it was because I was a depressed teenager and all, but that whole thing really touched me in a way my 'oh man Batman's so badass and Spider-Man is nerdy just like me this is awesome' comics didn't.

The world needs Superman, not just in his comics.

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › Batman's Shameful Secret › We're stronger than we think we are: Touching and inspiring posts thread :unsmith:

The world is a little brighter when people get what Superman is really all about.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

McSpanky posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › Batman's Shameful Secret › We're stronger than we think we are: Touching and inspiring posts thread :unsmith:

The world is a little brighter when people get what Superman is really all about.

I have a couple friends who just hate Superman. Think he's boring, and dull, and then I try and explain things to them all they can ask is "why doesn't he just superpower his way out" and all I want to do is find something heavy to beat them with.

But I don't. I'm patient and I let it go, because you can't always brute force a solution to a problem.

Superman taught me that, much as I wish it wasn't true sometimes.

On a similar topic, I wish I still had the book so I could grab the panel but one thing always stood out to me as a kid. I had The Death of Superman book, the issue at the end of all that where Superman and Doomsday finally finish out their fight and Superman dies. I wish I remembered exactly what was said, but I believe as everyone looks on and it hits the crowd what happened, Perry White says something like "Goddamnit, no..." and it always hit me hard. To me, as a kid, comic books were for kids. Nobody cursed, the hero always got back up, and the ending was always happy. Obviously I didn't read a lot of comics, but that was how it seemed to me. And I knew Supes wasn't dead for good, no way. I'd have heard about that poo poo, I knew it.

But the way Perry said it. The look on his face, told me that maybe Superman wouldn't get back up. And maybe the world, his world, had just lost something that could never be replaced. He was just a single man, but he was a strong man. A man who always tried to do what was right, and made if not the entire world a better place than at very least his world was better for him being in it. The weight of his passing felt, to me, to be carried in that one little line.

Growing up, I always wanted to be that man. Not Superman, maybe. Just the man that tried to do what was right, even if he was scared or alone, who when he was gone even just one someone would look on and say "Goddamnit, no..."

Er, sorry. That ended up being longer than I meant it to be, especially with no panel. I think I'll go see if I can't find a screenshot of it, for old time's sake.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The best Superman stories aren't about what Superman does. He can do anything - he is Superman. The best Superman stories are about what Superman inspires others to do. Maybe it is earning the unshakable devotion and love of his dog, maybe it is getting everyone to hope and work together to push back the 5th dimension devil, maybe it is in inspiring the grief when others see him fall.

And maybe it is getting people to resist in the face of hopeless odds, when all else seems lost, to persevere and fight on.
http://www.amazon.com/Apokolips-Now-Part-2/dp/B001C9RL4G
The ending of the episode

Short version: Superman has been fighting Darkseid in a 2 parter, ends with him captured and brought back to earth to show all is lost. Dan Turpin instead starts and leads a mob where the regular people beat the soldiers back and free Superman.

Darkseid murders him for it

It is one of the better bits of kid's TV I have ever seen, and probably the best bit from the entire animated DCU.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 26, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

It is one of the better bits of kid's TV I have ever seen, and probably the best bit from the entire animated DCU.

I was just the right age that that was the first time I cried at something I watched on the screen, big or small. When it faded to the funeral scene and I truly realized that Dan Turpin is never coming back... and then "It turns out the world didn't need a super man, just a brave one. Goodbye, old friend." :smith:

Could someone do me a big favor? I've wanted for a long time to post the sequence from Shazam! Power of Hope where Billy comforts the little girl in the terminal children's hospital ward, but even the local library doesn't have a scanner big enough to handle those (gorgeously) oversized pages. That's a touching sequence if I've ever seen one.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Via Injustice #11

Matlock fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 27, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Matlock posted:

Via Injustice #11

As much as I like these panels, they're kind of undermined by how completely loving retarded the situation setting them up was.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Injustice 1-3 were really, really terrible. Like, worst comics of the last decade terrible. Injustice 4 was lackluster, but then from there on out it's been amazing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Colon V posted:

As much as I like these panels, they're kind of undermined by how completely loving retarded the situation setting them up was.

Also, Supes' expression while just no-selling Batman's massive haymaker is hilarious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I was going to suggest putting that in the badass thread for Alfred's moment.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I like how that's a comic for a game where Harley Quinn will be able to punch Superman in the face and hurt him. After that panel, I guess they will have to try to explain why.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

Injustice 1-3 were really, really terrible. Like, worst comics of the last decade terrible. Injustice 4 was lackluster, but then from there on out it's been amazing.

You're gonna have to significantly lower that timeframe, because the last decade still has things like Grounded, Identity Crisis, and Countdown. Injustice wishes it could touch that level of terrible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TwoPair posted:

You're gonna have to significantly lower that timeframe, because the last decade still has things like Grounded, Identity Crisis, and Countdown.
And The Spider-Man Comic That Will Not Be Named.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I like how that's a comic for a game where Harley Quinn will be able to punch Superman in the face and hurt him. After that panel, I guess they will have to try to explain why.

Magic.

That's how they explained it in MK vs DC.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

You're gonna have to significantly lower that timeframe, because the last decade still has things like Grounded, Identity Crisis, and Countdown. Injustice wishes it could touch that level of terrible.

Secret Avengers Fear Itself and Fear Itself
Lets not forget Superman's stupid walk across America.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 27, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Colon V posted:

Matlock posted:

I don't get the hate. Sure, killing off a pregnant Lois Lane is unpalatably grim and kinda disappointingly sexist in 2013, but it's not like the comics were horribly written. There's tons of great dialogue and clever moments leading up to it, including a great exchange between Bats and Supes.

Retarded is something I'd save for Nick Spencer's writing. Am I missing something? Are you guys just upset that something grimdark happened to Superman?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like the ice burn Alfred lays on Supes there at the end. Who are these characters?

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't get the hate. Sure, killing off a pregnant Lois Lane is unpalatably grim and kinda disappointingly sexist in 2013, but it's not like the comics were horribly written. There's tons of great dialogue and clever moments leading up to it, including a great exchange between Bats and Supes.

Retarded is something I'd save for Nick Spencer's writing. Am I missing something? Are you guys just upset that something grimdark happened to Superman?

It's more than "something grimdark happening to Superman". Reading just the panels posted, it's extremely hamfisted and completely out of character for all parties involved. Superman telling Batman he's in love with the joker and is a bad father, Batman punching him in the face and it having zero effect for a comic that's supposed to be a tie-in to a fighting game, Alfred ice burning him, etc. I feel like I'm reading Irredeemable and not a Batman / Superman joint.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

7744 posted:

It's more than "something grimdark happening to Superman". Reading just the panels posted, it's extremely hamfisted and completely out of character for all parties involved. Superman telling Batman he's in love with the joker and is a bad father, Batman punching him in the face and it having zero effect for a comic that's supposed to be a tie-in to a fighting game, Alfred ice burning him, etc. I feel like I'm reading Irredeemable and not a Batman / Superman joint.

Well, you're wrong as hell because this isn't the part anyone is complaining about and it's totally in-character for the story, but whatevs. Batman punching Superman in the face and smashing his own hand is something that straight-up happened in the 80s, so I don't know why that's suddenly "hamfisted" just because it's a fighting game tie-in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandallODim posted:

Also, Supes' expression while just no-selling Batman's massive haymaker is hilarious.

"Bruce, we've done this before man quit that poo poo."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colon V posted:

And The Spider-Man Comic That Will Not Be Named.

You'll have to narrow it down. Dan Slott's written like 100 issues of Spider-man now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like the ice burn Alfred lays on Supes there at the end. Who are these characters?

Alfred is the final boss, with a double-barrel shotgun loaded with whatever materials are needed to one-shot anyone he is fighting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

You'll have to narrow it down. Dan Slott's written like 100 issues of Spider-man now.
OMD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That was four issues!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

So where does Ultimatum sit on that scale?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

That was four issues!

I prefer to think of it as approximately fifty minutes that I will never get back.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why are we talking about OMD when there's a perfectly good Trouble out there to make fun of?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Matlock posted:

Via Injustice #11

Okay, I haven't be reading injustice although I know about the whole lois thing. But this poo poo just seems stupid. Superman has let people who have done terrible things live and then those guys kill countless people- mongul, darkseid etc. Now, for some reason, he gets bitchy at batman for letting the joker live. Not to mention he's superman and could have killed joker any time.

I mean, I suppose it could be the comic trying to show that superman is being an hypocritical douche, but I'm not really seeing the "touching" moment here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kind of late but I really enjoyed this sequence of Red Hood & the Outlaws 18

After years of being at odds Jason and Bruce they finaly fix their differences and Jason is welcomed back on the batfamily :unsmith:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Okay, I haven't be reading injustice although I know about the whole lois thing. But this poo poo just seems stupid. Superman has let people who have done terrible things live and then those guys kill countless people- mongul, darkseid etc. Now, for some reason, he gets bitchy at batman for letting the joker live. Not to mention he's superman and could have killed joker any time.

I mean, I suppose it could be the comic trying to show that superman is being an hypocritical douche, but I'm not really seeing the "touching" moment here.

Basically, yeah, Superman's being a dick and only just now caring because it led to someone he personally cares about dying.

Which is incredibly out of character for Supes, but whatever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

After years of being at odds Jason and Bruce they finaly fix their differences and Jason is welcomed back on the batfamily :unsmith:

Is there any explanation why Todd's fine in the first page and is wearing some sort of face blanket in the next?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Cabbit posted:

Is there any explanation why Todd's fine in the first page and is wearing some sort of face blanket in the next?

Flashback for the former, the latter is after his face was burned by a Joker-acid booby-trap on his mask.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is that before or after Bruce's son died? Because man it'd be pretty lovely to pull that and then have Bruce basically become a shithead in his grief.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Is that before or after Bruce's son died? Because man it'd be pretty lovely to pull that and then have Bruce basically become a shithead in his grief.

Continuity is a huge mess but apparently is before Damian's death.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Matlock posted:

Via Injustice #11

From Kingdom Come:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The great thing about Kingdome Come is that it totally validates Bruce and Clarks stance regarding killing. Once Gog showed that you could get away with murder, every two-bit hero wannabe started murdering gangsters left and right, and sure, it got rid of Ra's Al Ghul and the Arkham crazies, but it replaced them with heroes with absolutly no regard for collateral damage who thought the ends justified the means, and who had no qualms about having shoot-outs in the middle of town.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Never read Kingdom Come, but never expected to see Superman with a ponytail.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Alhazred posted:

From Kingdom Come:

Supes is just mad he didn't get him first.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
If I saw Superman sporting that midlife crisis ponytail, I might put my confidence in the other guy, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Never read Kingdom Come, but never expected to see Superman with a ponytail.

He had a mullet for years in the early '90s and sometimes tied it back into a ponytail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He had a mullet for years in the early '90s and sometimes tied it back into a ponytail.

Yeah the mullet ran from 1993 up until the wedding which was 1996 I believe.