Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it back in the day but latter episodes of Johnny Bravo (which Seth MacFarlane worked on) are basically a dry run for Family Guy. Right down to Adam West being a recurring character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's expiring on Monday anyways but don't watch Princess. It is a bad, bad movie.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I'm watching Metalocolypse right now and I'm enjoying this first episode, it's so :black101:! Although I can't understand a drat word they sing. Does it actually ever get more understandable?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I'm watching Metalocolypse right now and I'm enjoying this first episode, it's so :black101:! Although I can't understand a drat word they sing. Does it actually ever get more understandable?

It's always going to be that style of metal. I'm sure you can look up the lyrics somewhere.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

It's expiring on Monday anyways but don't watch Princess. It is a bad, bad movie.

Like I said in genchat, it's not bad per se, it's just probably one of the most nihilistic movies ever made.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The lyrics are pretty funny, so look them up if you don't speak metal.

The first season of that show is pretty much the best season with a pretty big drop off after that. It got good again when they briefly changed it to a half hour format, but then it went back to 15 minutes and became even worse.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

axleblaze posted:

The lyrics are pretty funny, so look them up if you don't speak metal.

The first season of that show is pretty much the best season with a pretty big drop off after that. It got good again when they briefly changed it to a half hour format, but then it went back to 15 minutes and became even worse.

I have to disagree. I think the second season is even better than the first, but the change to half-hour episodes is what really killed the show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have to disagree. I think the second season is even better than the first, but the change to half-hour episodes is what really killed the show.

Looking through the second season episodes, there's not even one I remember other than the one half hour episode they did that season. I felt in the second season they fell into a pattern of just dicking around so much that nothing happened in any episode. Even the minor plot within the episodes just didn't happen in favor of unfunny bits that went on for way too long. The second season just felt like them doing the first season over but not as good.

With the half hour format they had about the same amount of dicking around but they actually managed to get something done, even if it was just a silly plot. Also the best moment in the entire series is from the half hour season. I honestly think season 3 is the best season and season 4, where they went back to being 15 minutes, is the worst.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

With the half hour format they had about the same amount of dicking around but they actually managed to get something done, even if it was just a silly plot. Also the best moment in the entire series is from the half hour season.

What the hell did I just watch :stare:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

WickedIcon posted:

What the hell did I just watch :stare:

It makes a little more sense with the rest of the episode. That doesn't mean it makes sense...just that it makes more sense.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought Season 1 and 2 of Metalocalypse were equally good, Season 3 was good but not all that funny (so worse than... it's a comedy show), and Season 4 was pretty much all garbage except like one or two episodes.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I thought season 1 of Metalocalypse was one of the most brilliantly funny things I've ever seen... but it definitely felt like the writers put everything they had into those first 20 episodes. Season 2 took a nose-dive in quality and I gave up on the show a few episodes into season 3.

Season 1 is still incredible, though. Everyone who ever had even a passing interest in Metal should watch it.

I'm still trying to convince my fiancé to walk down the aisle to ThunderHorse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULpwYvdw6P8

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, I actively dislike metal and that only added to my enjoyment of Metalocalypse; there's a decidedly meta level of humor in every episode's incomprehensible CROAK CROAK POWERCHORD musical number becoming a legitimately popular and best-selling metal song.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 31, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bash Ironfist posted:

You'll find yourself understanding all the words soon enough.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'd rather you be dead than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year

I'd rather you be dead than ponder parting with my second home

I'd rather you be dead than consider not opening a restaurant

I'd rather you be dead

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Dethkomedy from season 1 is pretty brilliant. The band tries out standup.

Please take my wife, please take my wife
Then I'll take your life
Then I'll gently caress your wife

It's funny
Because it's not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX4cRAZExA

Zero Karizma posted:

I'm still trying to convince my fiancé to walk down the aisle to ThunderHorse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULpwYvdw6P8
Thunderhorse is a fantastic piece of shredding. That's one of the funniest things about Metalocalypse is that a one man fake cartoon band satirizing the silliness of metal ended up making music that's better than most of what's out there.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't really know what happened to the music after the first season. The first season had great music and I really like the first Dethalbum but after that all the music just started to blend together. It's like he started having less fun with it because he knew it was music he'd be playing in an actual band on tour.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

axleblaze posted:

I don't really know what happened to the music after the first season. The first season had great music and I really like the first Dethalbum but after that all the music just started to blend together. It's like he started having less fun with it because he knew it was music he'd be playing in an actual band on tour.

I truly believe the creators never expected or planned to go beyond one season. Everything about that first season is so intricately put together. It skewers EVERYTHING relevant to metal fans, popular music and the industry. They even had time to go off track to beat up on David Lee Roth for an episode with Dr. Rockso. It does all the "big" metal references and every song is a drat masterpiece. It's perfect and strangely "complete."

The finale even made the "secret government meetings" intros seem oddly out of place in later seasons.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Huh, now that I think of it I may actually be getting confused and thinking that the long-rear end Season 1 of Metalocalypse is actually Seasons 1 and 2. Because all of the amazing episodes I can recall come from Season 1.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's already been said, but everyone needs to watch Children's Hospital. It is one of the best shows on television right now. The seasons that are up are fantastic and it's a show that actually is just getting better. The most recent season was absurdly ambitious.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

It's already been said, but everyone needs to watch Children's Hospital. It is one of the best shows on television right now. The seasons that are up are fantastic and it's a show that actually is just getting better. The most recent season was absurdly ambitious.

Been watching this for the past few days. Just a heads up for anyone: The PS3 app automatically skips to the end of the "Previously on..." bit at the beginning, which usually has new jokes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best song ever to appear in Metalocalypse by far is the one Murderface and Toki did when they left the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxZHp1g0ns

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Does Children's Hospital get better or...?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Tennis Ball posted:

Does Children's Hospital get better or...?

...or does it stay as ridiculously funny and well done as the first season the whole time?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's been on Netflix for a while, but if you're on an Adult Swim kick put some Home Movies episodes in your queue. The first season is a little shakey (literally), but by the third and fourth seasons it really hit its stride. The renaissance vs. sci fi festival episode in season 3, and the camp episode in season 4 are a couple of my favorites.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh yeah if you're really feeling nostalgic, check out http://www.bumpworthy.com/ for a bunch of old bumps that would play between commercials on Adult Swim.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How freaky is it to be nostalgic for Adult Swim bumpers, some of which are like eleven years old now?

mod sassinator posted:

It's been on Netflix for a while, but if you're on an Adult Swim kick put some Home Movies episodes in your queue. The first season is a little shakey (literally), but by the third and fourth seasons it really hit its stride. The renaissance vs. sci fi festival episode in season 3, and the camp episode in season 4 are a couple of my favorites.

See, I feel the opposite, I don't really think the 4th season is that good but the 1st season is great. It's entirely dependent on how you can take Paula Poundstone as Brendon's mom. 2nd and 3rd are great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How freaky is it to be nostalgic for Adult Swim bumpers, some of which are like eleven years old now?

Yeah I wish they would get some episodes of Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost, etc. up so you could relive the glory days of 2000-2003 era adult swim.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Man someone mentioned it already but it is a pain to find out what's new on Netflix sometimes. I haven't found any Adult Swim stuff that hasn't been posted already, but I did find Ed, Edd and Eddy and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. I'm assuming that these were just added, I think the ones with the white and black CN logo are all new.

Ed, Edd and Eddy is a surreal show, I forget which thread but someone on the forums likened it to a kid's cartoon version of Trailer Park Boys.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Man someone mentioned it already but it is a pain to find out what's new on Netflix sometimes. I haven't found any Adult Swim stuff that hasn't been posted already, but I did find Ed, Edd and Eddy and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. I'm assuming that these were just added, I think the ones with the white and black CN logo are all new.

Ed, Edd and Eddy is a surreal show, I forget which thread but someone on the forums likened it to a kid's cartoon version of Trailer Park Boys.

Look like Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends are under that banner and I don't remember them being on there before either.
Edit: Also Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10, Ben 10 Alien Force, Codename: Kids Next Door, Chowder, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
Adventure Time and Regular Show as well but I think everyone knew about those already. If you go to New Arrivals under Watch Instantly, they are all at the end of the Recently Added: TV Shows list

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 31, 2013

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

See, I feel the opposite, I don't really think the 4th season is that good but the 1st season is great. It's entirely dependent on how you can take Paula Poundstone as Brendon's mom. 2nd and 3rd are great.
4th season had two of the worst episodes and a bit too much Fenton (though it didn't detract from the killer finale). 1st and 3rd seasons are essentially perfect.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I wish they would get some episodes of Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost, etc. up so you could relive the glory days of 2000-2003 era adult swim.
I'm the kind of guy that, on the whole, prefers second-gen AS (Frisky Dingo, PHF, Squidbillies) to first-gen.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Squidbillies is a brilliant show that 99% of people pass up because it appears idiotic at first glance.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I like the first season, but it almost feels like a different show. Season four just felt tired.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Squidbillies is a brilliant show that 99% of people pass up because it appears idiotic at first glance.

I love squidbillies! Thanks for finding it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I like the first season, but it almost feels like a different show. Season four just felt tired.

a radii hike posted:

4th season had two of the worst episodes and a bit too much Fenton (though it didn't detract from the killer finale). 1st and 3rd seasons are essentially perfect.
I'm the kind of guy that, on the whole, prefers second-gen AS (Frisky Dingo, PHF, Squidbillies) to first-gen.

Exactly. What's PHF by the way?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Exactly. What's PHF by the way?
Perfect Hair Forever, that anime parody thing that premiered when AS said they were gonna show Squidbillies but then they didn't. There was only, like, seven episodes.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 31, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh poo poo yes, how on Earth could I have forgotten Perfect Hair Forever, that was one of the best things they ever put on. I think I stopped following after the Famicon guys failed to get a show, and only really watched the live action stuff from then on.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh poo poo yes, how on Earth could I have forgotten Perfect Hair Forever, that was one of the best things they ever put on. I think I stopped following after the Famicon guys failed to get a show, and only really watched the live action stuff from then on.

What the hell, Famicon was going to have a show?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They submitted way back when - apparently I never noticed it's the thing that eventually became Problem Solverz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh, jeez.

• Locked thread