Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

So hey, sorry to derail this thread about nerds being assholes, but is it possible to rotate buildings in Pixel People? It would really suck if not because some of the buildings are a weird shape, like the corner block of houses, but it kinda looks like the devs only drew the buildings from a single perspective. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Armed Neutrality posted:

Yeah but that's actually a good game with no IAP and no one really gave a poo poo if someone didn't like it. Hell even one of the Nimblebit guys said he wished it had IAP and no one really jumped all over him, imagine that.

And here you are calling me crazy for not liking a game. +100 Nimblebux!
I'm calling you a crazy person because of your completely hilarious conspiracy theorist post about people actually enjoying a video game. You're more than welcome to not like Ninble Quest. It's certainly not for everyone. Although the fact that you keep angrily bringing up IAP is slightly confusing. The game was specifically designed and tested in order to be fun without ever having to spend a dime.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
A certain building unlocks the ability to 'rotate' but it's more like literally flipping the image. You can't actually turn for example a horizontal 2 block into a vertical 2 block or turn those Ls around.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Armed Neutrality posted:

Yeah but that's actually a good game with no IAP and no one really gave a poo poo if someone didn't like it. Hell even one of the Nimblebit guys said he wished it had IAP and no one really jumped all over him, imagine that.

And here you are calling me crazy for not liking a game. +100 Nimblebux!

The game has received great reviews everywhere and has a 4.5 star rating on the App Store (and was selected Editor's Choice), you should probably expect a good number of people to talk about enjoying it. Also we've been considering the controls for 7 full months of development while you have been considering them for maybe an hour. I fully realize there are many different possible control methods that would work in such a game but we wanted to stick with the strongest one and perfect it as much as we could.

END OF DISCUSSION

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sad lions posted:

Well that and we have a mod who is an ios dev promoting their own games in the thread. Largely professional about it but I do question the possible conflict of interest.
Having a star by my name doesn't cede my right to have opinions or do things. This is a volunteer gig, and any time I post anything related to my game, I clear it with all the other game mods. You'll note I never edit the thread title to favor my game, for instance, or do anything else that only a mod can do.

I post the stuff I work on, some people like it, they have questions, I answer. If it starts to dominate thread chat, I back off so that I'm not contributing to a derail. That's about as far as it goes. I even had another mod recommending that I make my own thread about Jones On Fire as a "it's alright we want you to succeed!" thing, which I specifically didn't do, since we'd jump on any other iOS dev that did that (EDIT: for a game of Jones' scope, that is - big NimbleBit-esque things are a bit different).

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 31, 2013

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Corridor posted:

Oh god when did that murderous player-hating duck game get on iOS :gonk:

Not only that, but David Dunham's etsy account has been selling off the original art from the game. I have 4 of them to decorate my nerdcave once I move out of my parent's basement since I'm told I'm gainfully employed now.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

eeenmachine posted:

The game has received great reviews everywhere and has a 4.5 star rating on the App Store (and was selected Editor's Choice), you should probably expect a good number of people to talk about enjoying it. Also we've been considering the controls for 7 full months of development while you have been considering them for maybe an hour. I fully realize there are many different possible control methods that would work in such a game but we wanted to stick with the strongest one and perfect it as much as we could.

END OF DISCUSSION

I never had a problem with the controls, I though they were fine and had nothing to do with why I didn't like NQ fwiw. :)

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 31, 2013

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

McDragon posted:

drat it, I ran out of bears in Pixel People. :negative: And then I need another sodding lion, and a trout that I haven't even seen yet. If I accidentally use my stags or octopus I may scream. At least I've got plenty of wolves, and dragons seem to be pretty common (for fire breathing, flying lizards, anyway).

edit: YES, GOT THE loving TROUT AT LAST! :siren:

When I finally got the Trout for "Fire & Ice", I found out I spent the Bear on one of the other missions. I've spent the last three days trying to find another one :mad:

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the Gold Hearts?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
How did the changes in how you monetise your game go Shalinor? Will you make your dev money back at least?

Moving controls talk to a more generic form, personally I'd love for there to be a proper api for a bluetooth controller. Just playing an emu with a classic controller on a friends jailbroken ipad a few weekends ago for a few minutes was enough for me to wish it was a properly supported option. If they are working on one (although the only story I've seen they are couldn't have been more vague) please don't let them think of pulling a fast one and make it only compatible with newly launched units etc.

Bummey loudly states that anyone wanting a console type experience on IOS is wrong, perhaps on an iphone as I've never tried gaming on one but on an ipad it doesn't seem so unreasonable. I don't see the harm in thinking every now and then you could prop your ipad on your knees or desk, coffee table etc and using a controller race very fast or blow poo poo up etc.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 31, 2013

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

If Apple has any plans on fixing airplay latency I think that's going to be absolutely huge for things like that especially if that Apple-brand controller rumor is true.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Having a star by my name doesn't cede my right to have opinions or do things. This is a volunteer gig, and any time I post anything related to my game, I clear it with all the other game mods. You'll note I never edit the thread title to favor my game, for instance, or do anything else that only a mod can do.

I post the stuff I work on, some people like it, they have questions, I answer. If it starts to dominate thread chat, I back off so that I'm not contributing to a derail. That's about as far as it goes. I even had another mod recommending that I make my own thread about Jones On Fire as a "it's alright we want you to succeed!" thing, which I specifically didn't do, since we'd jump on any other iOS dev that did that (EDIT: for a game of Jones' scope, that is - big NimbleBit-esque things are a bit different).

Oh, it was more of a raised eyebrow for me really. You've been remarkably impartial actually which is quite impressive. If this were any other forum I could imagine their mod in the same position exploiting the poo poo out of it.

On another train of thought:
Anyone know any good puzzles/adventure games on iOS like The Room or any decent recent point and click style adventure games (like Broken Sword for instance)? I've given realMyst a go but don't entirely 'get it'. Don't know if Sword and Sworcery EP technically counts in the genre but that was a blast too.
Stupidly excited about the upcoming Broken Sword (5?).

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
Definitely check out The Silent Age. It's not super long, but it's fun and has really great ambiance. Play with headphones for sure.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Iron Leg posted:

Definitely check out The Silent Age. It's not super long, but it's fun and has really great ambiance. Play with headphones for sure.

Way ahead of you there. The animation was nothing to write home about but otherwise I loved that one.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Fazana posted:

How did the changes in how you monetise your game go Shalinor? Will you make your dev money back at least?
Nah. Right now I'm at about $1.1k / $20k, which is a bit grim. Going paid was the best of a lot of bad options, but now I'm dealing with all the usual visibility problems that a premium game in mobile-space has these days. That said, I'm in the pipe for Amazon's Free App Of The Day (which often bumps things big time), and I'm still hoping I can land a GooglePlay featuring.

For iOS, my options are limited. I'll start playing with the pricing, running promotional days, etc, but the only thing that could really save it, outside of straight up luck, would be a prominent featuring on the App Store - which probably isn't going to happen for an already-released niche / critical success kind of game.

Fazana posted:

Moving controls talk to a more generic form, personally I'd love for there to be a proper api for a bluetooth controller.
There's some actual hope of this. There were some rumblings at GDC that Apple was showing, or showing movement toward, an official game controller. That would be in line with Apple eventually turning AppleTV into a game-playing device/console (which seems kind of inevitable), and odds are good that other Apple devices would get the spill-over benefit of any controller APIs built with the AppleTV in mind.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 31, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
It's not too late to get in on the fantastic, groundbreaking Wrestling Revolution HD.

Bonus: Has touch AND virtual button controls! Both are equally as futile!

quote:

For iOS, my options are limited. I'll start playing with the pricing, running promotional days, etc, but the only thing that could really save it, outside of straight up luck, would be a prominent featuring on the App Store - which probably isn't going to happen for an already-released niche / critical success kind of game.

Not to be mean, but it's an endless runner in a market flooded with them, which you acknowledge by listing half a dozen of them, with an art style that doesn't really have any success in this market and arguably doesn't match the subject matter. I'd dedicate your time to making something new, personally. I do wish you the best of luck, however.

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 1, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, the game is pretty awesome (and I prefer the virtual buttons because the touch scheme is super finicky!)

Edit: Does the HD version have anything over the normal version other than graphics?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 1, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have a hard time finding iphone games that keep my interest and I don't instantly delete. Can you guys just recommend some fun iphone games? Don't care if they cost a couple bucks.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Sadly a wrestler died when my sons character accidentally stabbed him repeatedly with a dagger. The promoters decided the best way to honour him was to have an inferno match which starts off with everything on fire. That includes the coffin btw as can be seen on left side the screenshot along with the aforementioned dagger and a snooker cue. Hilariously enough another wrestler died from his injuries sustained in the memorial match thus causing another one the following week.

The main thing he suffers from in the game at the moment is the promoter renaming him to "Butter Terminator" and refusing to take "That's the worst name I've ever heard" as an answer.

As can be seen, he also uses the virtual pad as the touch controls are even more dreadful.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Sad lions posted:

I've given realMyst a go but don't entirely 'get it'.

What don't you get?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fazana posted:

The main thing he suffers from in the game at the moment is the promoter renaming him to "Butter Terminator" and refusing to take "That's the worst name I've ever heard" as an answer.

You should tell your son to always, ALWAYS get creative rights during negotiations. My awesome wrestler RED SKULL was recently renamed to Lady Face thanks to backing down on creative rights.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I beat the poo poo out of people in matches and can't get a pin. What am I doing wrong?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

confonnit posted:

I beat the poo poo out of people in matches and can't get a pin. What am I doing wrong?

You have to hit him with a finisher or a throw that lays him out. Apply wrestling logic to this game, and it becomes way easy.

quote:

You should tell your son to always, ALWAYS get creative rights during negotiations. My awesome wrestler RED SKULL was recently renamed to Lady Face thanks to backing down on creative rights.

This as well. Promoters don't seem to mind, and if you let them sneak it by, you can go from cool rear end CM Punk knockoff to a loving lumberjack hipster.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

What don't you get?

Well I find it really interesting but I think I'm a little too used to more modern games where we're a little more guided along.
Basically I have no idea where I'm supposed to be starting with it but I don't want to resort to using a guide/ingame hints.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Sad lions posted:

On another train of thought:
Anyone know any good puzzles/adventure games on iOS like The Room or any decent recent point and click style adventure games (like Broken Sword for instance)? I've given realMyst a go but don't entirely 'get it'. Don't know if Sword and Sworcery EP technically counts in the genre but that was a blast too.
Stupidly excited about the upcoming Broken Sword (5?).

Help Volty is kind of similar to the Room in that it is very atmospheric, and very seamless (not even a main menu.) However it involves some time-based actions (and fail-states) so you can't just lie back and take your time to solve the puzzle.

Windosill is a short puzzle game, but nonetheless an awesome experience. Its very weird, and fun to play with friends to see their reactions.

Have you played Ghost Trick and Machinarium? These are a must for adventure fans.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Sad lions posted:

Personally I'm more leery about the dismissal of criticism based on their opinion trumping their detractors just because they're ios devs. Sure, they have control of the product but it doesn't innately make them right. Well that and we have a mod who is an ios dev promoting their own games in the thread. Largely professional about it but I do question the possible conflict of interest.
A conflict of interest! This is serious. Maybe we need to open an official Video Games Ethics Committee investigation. Very serious, I'm glad you pointed it out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jefferoo posted:

Not to be mean, but it's an endless runner in a market flooded with them
It's fine, and you're right ;) I'm already working on the next game, Jones is mostly "done." If and when I do a content update for it, it'll be largely to raise awareness for the next game. It just takes relatively little effort to run promotions and price experiments, so I'm doing that too.

EDIT:

Sad lions posted:

I may be completely late with this one but I would recommend Nihilumbra for anyone looking for a half decent platform puzzler/adventure. Was actually surprised at how fleshed out a game it was. Reminds me vaguely of 2D platform puzzlers like Oddworld/Heart of Darkness
I'd had this sitting in my alerts list in Appshopper, specifically because I was waiting for a sale or a goon recommendation before I nabbed it. So, thanks!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 1, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Pray For Death posted:

Help Volty is kind of similar to the Room in that it is very atmospheric, and very seamless (not even a main menu.) However it involves some time-based actions (and fail-states) so you can't just lie back and take your time to solve the puzzle.

Windosill is a short puzzle game, but nonetheless an awesome experience. Its very weird, and fun to play with friends to see their reactions.

Have you played Ghost Trick and Machinarium? These are a must for adventure fans.

Help Volty looks interesting. I completely forgot about Windosill but I tried the demo on pc a while ago. Is it worth the price tag?
Machinarium was absolutely fantastic and would have been perfect if they didn't use so many minigames for puzzles.
I have Ghost Trick on the DS but is it true that they added some content for iOS? I think I read something about that earlier in this thread.

I may be completely late with this one but I would recommend Nihilumbra for anyone looking for a half decent platform puzzler/adventure. Was actually surprised at how fleshed out a game it was. Reminds me vaguely of 2D platform puzzlers like Oddworld/Heart of Darkness

porktree posted:

A conflict of interest! This is serious. Maybe we need to open an official Video Games Ethics Committee investigation. Very serious, I'm glad you pointed it out.

Hey man, I'm still having night terrors over Childlike Empress's reign of terror in the PYF funny pictures thread.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 1, 2013

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012
As far as I know, the only bonus content in the iOS version of Ghost Trick is the puzzle mini-game that you get after completing the story. It's nothing special.

As for Windosill, it's short. Like really short. But I found it worth the price tag personally. I keep it always on my ipad, and enjoy showing it to friends.

Pray For Death fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 1, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Tiger Woods is cheap at the moment and really fun.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

All this wolfenstein rpg talk made me want to play it again, but it's not showing up in the US App Store for me. Did it get taken down?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Jefferoo posted:

You have to hit him with a finisher or a throw that lays him out. Apply wrestling logic to this game, and it becomes way easy.

I guess I'm an idiot cause I can't figure out how to do finishers/specials

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

All this wolfenstein rpg talk made me want to play it again, but it's not showing up in the US App Store for me. Did it get taken down?

Huh, I think it did get taken down. Add this to your appshopper and hope it comes back? :(

http://www.appshopper.com/link/wolfenstein-rpg

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

confonnit posted:

I guess I'm an idiot cause I can't figure out how to do finishers/specials

Zig-zag up when the special meter is flashing.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

SuperHappy posted:

When I finally got the Trout for "Fire & Ice", I found out I spent the Bear on one of the other missions. I've spent the last three days trying to find another one :mad:

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the Gold Hearts?

What the hell? Fire and Ice in Pixel People? Spending the bear? Missions? Gold Hearts? I haven't seen any of these things.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

crazypeltast52 posted:

Not only that, but David Dunham's etsy account has been selling off the original art from the game. I have 4 of them to decorate my nerdcave once I move out of my parent's basement since I'm told I'm gainfully employed now.
None of the ducks are up for sale, don't care anymore.

About anything.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

eeenmachine posted:

I only posted twice or so about my dislike for alternate control options, other goons ran away with the message.
I put four different control schemas (five if you count iCade Bitty and hardware keyboard separately) in Lunar and some people were still unhappy.

Really, you just can't always please everybody.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

What the hell? Fire and Ice in Pixel People? Spending the bear? Missions? Gold Hearts? I haven't seen any of these things.

Got a big-rear end update recently. Apart from gold hearts, everything mentioned is opened up with a new building. Utopia HQ I think.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fazana posted:

Moving controls talk to a more generic form, personally I'd love for there to be a proper api for a bluetooth controller. Just playing an emu with a classic controller on a friends jailbroken ipad a few weekends ago for a few minutes was enough for me to wish it was a properly supported option. If they are working on one (although the only story I've seen they are couldn't have been more vague) please don't let them think of pulling a fast one and make it only compatible with newly launched units etc.

Bummey loudly states that anyone wanting a console type experience on IOS is wrong, perhaps on an iphone as I've never tried gaming on one but on an ipad it doesn't seem so unreasonable. I don't see the harm in thinking every now and then you could prop your ipad on your knees or desk, coffee table etc and using a controller race very fast or blow poo poo up etc.

I travel a lot and my iPad has taken the place of the personal laptop I bring in addition to my work laptop. It's pretty stupid to act like a controller API wouldn't be a great thing because wanting to play console style games on iOS is "wrong".

I have an Android phone and it natively supports controllers, doesn't seem to have hindered anything on the platform. I don't really play games on my phone, though, it seems more suited to reading books or forums when I'm on the toilet or eating lunch.

Edit: don't mean to contribute to a derail or anything. The Awful app hadn't loaded a bunch of posts when I responded.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 1, 2013

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

duckfarts posted:

None of the ducks are up for sale, don't care anymore.

About anything.

That just means you have to follow the King of Dragon Pass twitter account if you want race me in buying the ducks when they do sell them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think it makes sense at the very least for an iPad because if Apple wants to market it as a kind of multimedia hub and people are using it so much at home in lieu of consoles, why not make it good at what it's supposed to do? There are a lot of games I've played on here that felt like they were just making do with what one of these devices can offer control-wise despite trying to offer a very console-like experience. I say embrace that - let someone treat the iPad like a game console. I feel like it's better for Apple if buying a controller for their iPad lets them enjoy it enough that they skip buying a console and just throw money at iOS games instead.

• Locked thread