Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

e: VVV That's the wroggi SnS, the Dirty Baron. You should be able to make it straight from the forge menu. It's a High Rank weapon though, so you might have to rank up a few times.

Yeah, it hasn't appeared as an option yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm at it, is there any reason to use any attacks other than standing XXX or standing charged smash?

Sure is! The side slam attack with A does reasonable KO damage and can combo into the second two hits of the XXX combo afterwards. Does slightly less damage but dizzies a monster faster. The no-charge R attack can be comboed after for a second hit and can go into the triple pound for 5 hits total. The half-charge dash attack combos into the side slam by hitting X, then goes into the normal combo. It also does a ludicrous amount of KO damage and the dash is a great way to get in and get a couple of hits off, then either keep comboing if it seems like you can get away with it or bail if you can't.

Hammers Own

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got my full set of Wroggi armor; I don't think I can put off fighting Qurupeco much longer.

Does anyone know which S&S this is?

That's the "Dirty Baron." You can actually buy it after unlocking enough things in the game. If you want to upgrade into it, the path is:

Hunter's Knife->Soldier's Dagger->Commander's Dagger->Hypnos Knife->Hypnos Knife+->Dirty Baron

Interestingly enough, it appears to lose the poison ability at the top level. However, it's still there if you awaken/free element. You end up having 550 poison, which means you're hitting with poison more than every other hit, at 55 status a pop. If you fight anything weak to poison (most brute wyverns) it'll be super effective.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Brought up a question though, is there any way to cancel out of the third hit of the XXX combo?

I don't think rolling cancels out of the golfswing but you can tap R to chain into another XXX combo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Social Dissonance posted:

That's the "Dirty Baron." You can actually buy it after unlocking enough things in the game. If you want to upgrade into it, the path is:

Hunter's Knife->Soldier's Dagger->Commander's Dagger->Hypnos Knife->Hypnos Knife+->Dirty Baron

Interestingly enough, it appears to lose the poison ability at the top level. However, it's still there if you awaken/free element. You end up having 550 poison, which means you're hitting with poison more than every other hit, at 55 status a pop. If you fight anything weak to poison (most brute wyverns) it'll be super effective.

how does poison work in that regard? Do you do extra elemental damage as poison or is the 550 poison only working towards giving them the poisoned status? Just how strong is poisoning monsters that are weak to it?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Harvs posted:

Uh, is it normal for Agkator to launch himself outta the ground, into the sky and never come down again?

Also Volvidon has some superb animations. All 3 of the new beast types are great fights and I look forwards to the MH where I get to fight crabs, monkeys and rabbits all together

He normally will jump into the ceiling, was it an area open to the sky? If so, probably a bug.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Was it in Moga Freehunt? I bet there's silly AI glitches from monsters getting thrown in there.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

how does poison work in that regard? Do you do extra elemental damage as poison or is the 550 poison only working towards giving them the poisoned status? Just how strong is poisoning monsters that are weak to it?

Higher status damage just applies the status faster. Poison does damage based on the target afaik, not the amount of poison on the weapon. Poison is great against monsters that are weak against it, especially if you have a lot of long disconnects during the fight because it will keep doing damage even if you can't get to them (if only Rath wasn't resistant, dang world tour).

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Nechronic posted:

I don't think rolling cancels out of the golfswing but you can tap R to chain into another XXX combo.

As far as I can remember, you can cancel out of the follow-through of every hammer swing except maybe the end of the full charge R spin move if you don't stop it early.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what day do they release new dlc? Are these brand new or were they in tri as well? This is my first monster hunter so its all new to me. I really enjoyed the last 2

Is there a skill that prevents me from flinching when a rathalos lands near me?
I finally beat him in sp with lance, but i was having some trouble getting close. He would always dash at cha-cha so I left them at home and the fight was suddenly easy.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 1, 2013

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I think the skill you need is Wind-Res, which you can get on the Alloy Armour. You may need 15 points for his landing, the armour only gives 10.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Six Of Spades posted:

An odd question, maybe:

The copy I was playing MH3U on initially was a review copy (which as far as I know is just the normal PAL game), which I had to return. I've since bought the game myself, and although there's save data on the SD card, it doesn't show up when booting the game. And yet, when I make a new character, it recognises that there's data there and threatens to overwrite it.

Is there a way to have that old save data active on the new cartridge? Or do I have to start over? Not the end of the world if I have to restart - though retaining the handful of guild cards would be nice.

No, there's no way to transfer data between the carts. The extra SD data doesn't contain your save (I'm not sure WHAT it contains, to be honest).

Also, I'm not exactly in touch with this stuff, but I've never heard of a review copy having to be returned. Is it Capcom that demanded the copy back, or your employer?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hello chums, I have a quick out-of-the-blue question. I just started working at a game translation company, and at lunchtime a couple of the guys play Monster Hunter 3 together on 3ds. I've never played any of the series. If I was to get a copy, would I be able to jump in and join them? I think they're pretty high level. I don't really want to have to spend 500 hours catching up to them. Is it do-able?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stoat posted:

Hello chums, I have a quick out-of-the-blue question. I just started working at a game translation company, and at lunchtime a couple of the guys play Monster Hunter 3 together on 3ds. I've never played any of the series. If I was to get a copy, would I be able to jump in and join them? I think they're pretty high level. I don't really want to have to spend 500 hours catching up to them. Is it do-able?

If these guys are cool, they will help you through content you're having trouble with, help you rank up, and speed up the farming process to help you get better weapons and armor. I've personally dragged three people through Low Rank on Unite because I was happy to get more folks up to speed on the series.

That said, there's a ton of single-player stuff you can do on your own spare time. There's really no rush for you to "catch up" unless they are being jerks.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

So uh, looks like the Kelbi Bow is as insane as expected. I was using it while doing Hallowed Jhen with some other foolhardy goons and on our first attempt (without getting the dragonator on the first phase) we killed him so fast his head fell behind the invisible wall and we lost half of our carves.

Let this be a lesson - with great slime comes great responsibility.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Funkmaster General posted:

No, there's no way to transfer data between the carts. The extra SD data doesn't contain your save (I'm not sure WHAT it contains, to be honest).

Also, I'm not exactly in touch with this stuff, but I've never heard of a review copy having to be returned. Is it Capcom that demanded the copy back, or your employer?

It was Nintendo's PR, actually. It's a shame (and a bit annoying), since my colleague got a download code for Luigi's Mansion from the same PR. I was a bit salty about that. And oh well; It's maybe ~13 hours of play, I can recover that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Is there something in the farm I can make spider webs with?
Is there an good reason to use one trap over the other?
As far as I can tell shock is better for trapping and pitfall holds longer and lets me hit tall tails and heads.

Nope! I believe the peddler in the port sells them occasionally, though.
Use Shock Traps when possible since they're way easier to make. I think the only trappable enemy they don't work on is a charged up Zinogre. Pitfalls don't work on some but I don't remember who. Nibelsnarf and Diablos maybe. Pitfalls also don't work underwater.
Pitfalls will hold enemies longer and also expose monster's heads nicely for you to beat on, but as far as capturing monsters go either works fine.

Ignimbrite posted:

You cannot cut tails with a hammer. Anyone who tells you this is either trying to waist your time or has been farming for brachydios gems too long. (there is one exception, you can take off a monster called Duramboros's tail with a hammer but it's more like breaking a hunk of it off opposed to physically cutting the end of the tail off like every other monster)

And the first monster that you can tail cut is Barroth, or Rathian if you go after her when Quropeco calls her.

e: VVV That's the wroggi SnS, the Dirty Baron. You should be able to make it straight from the forge menu. It's a High Rank weapon though, so you might have to rank up a few times.

Doesn't Royal Ludroth appear before Baroth? His tail is also way easier to cut.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Nibblesnarf is apparently immune to pitfalls, but Diablos is not. On the other hand, Diablos breaks free really quick when enraged, and since it's tell for capture is to basically enrage from a passing breeze...

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Cthulhuchan posted:

Nibblesnarf is apparently immune to pitfalls, but Diablos is not. On the other hand, Diablos breaks free really quick when enraged, and since it's tell for capture is to basically enrage from a passing breeze...

Mine always run away and go sleep.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I know there were plenty of weapons for the DLC missions; but was their any armor? I'm hoping for a G-rank Yukumo set to come out.

Also I've been unable to get a team together for the HR DLC; what's the reward for it?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

So uh, looks like the Kelbi Bow is as insane as expected. I was using it while doing Hallowed Jhen with some other foolhardy goons and on our first attempt (without getting the dragonator on the first phase) we killed him so fast his head fell behind the invisible wall and we lost half of our carves.

Let this be a lesson - with great slime comes great responsibility.

You bastard! :argh:

All joking aside, Hallowed Jhen is insanely fun, even moreso than normal jhen. Having a crazy madman in Van Helsing gear wielding a slingshot does reduce him into a sniveling wreck though. That crazy kelbi bow.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

TalonDemonKing posted:

I know there were plenty of weapons for the DLC missions; but was their any armor? I'm hoping for a G-rank Yukumo set to come out.

Also I've been unable to get a team together for the HR DLC; what's the reward for it?

Some bitching shades (+14 Stun Skill) and some black leather chaps (+10 Potential Skill). You need to run the mission 6 times to get enough tickets though

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You need awakening to unlock the elemental damage on most weapons? Is that normally worth it?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 1, 2013

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Carecat posted:

You need affinity to unlock the elemental damage on most weapons? Is that normally worth it?

Not most, only on the raw weapons iirc. And only rarely is it really worth skilling in for.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Foolicing posted:

Not most, only on the raw weapons iirc. And only rarely is it really worth skilling in for.

Read, the Grongigas Hammer.

What's that, you say?

A 1508 raw hammer, with purple sharpness, +25 Defense, AND a gem slot?

How do you make that better?
Awaken it, and get 400 Slime Damage

Nobody gives a poo poo about the -15% Affinity. At all.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 1, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I started playing MH3U this weekend. I was reluctant to pick it up at all largely because I remember quitting MHFU on the PSP four or five years ago in disgust and hatred. I vaguely remember getting stunlocked to death in a corner I couldn't get out of because I had gotten hit out of a dodge roll I was doing to specifically avoid getting trapped by, and the hit actually not only reversed the direction I was going in a physics-defying change of momentum, it also caused me to pass THROUGH the monster, into a corner. I get a bit mad remembering it after all this time.

Despite that, I got mh3u. Mostly because this seemed to be the one exclusive that the Wii U has really going for it. A big reason I got past the aversions I had is because the U has proper, built in network functionality, so the next time I have to face a giant pink cockmaster kut-ku horribly undergeared as is the way it goes, I expect I won't have to do it alone.

I'm about 90 minutes in, at this point. I've greatsworded goats, dinosaurs, bugs, and velociraptors colored like they had their DNA tinkered with by a ricer detailing garage. I'm rediscovering old stuff I knew and new stuff I didn't. Overall it's like getting on a bike again... only the bike has 45 gears, three independent handlebars, eight pedals and a siamese cat tied in the spokes that screams when you go downhill.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to craft the azure crest lance
I have all the materials needed but I dont see it as craftable, does anyone know why?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

5er posted:

only the bike has 45 gears, three independent handlebars, eight pedals and a siamese cat tied in the spokes that screams when you go downhill.

Except it's not a cat it's a vaguely racist masked pygmy thing and it screams all the time. God I miss the cats. :(

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Fauxtool posted:

I want to craft the azure crest lance
I have all the materials needed but I dont see it as craftable, does anyone know why?

It has to be upgraded from the Thane Lance

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Leonheart posted:

It has to be upgraded from the Thane Lance

thanks I got it now, it seems pretty terrible :)
Low dmg and i have yet to put anything to sleep with it yet

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cthulhuchan posted:

I got a Nibel in a pit trap. It didn't go off when I set it next to his sleeping body so I thought he was immune but after I woke him up he walked into it and went down. I'm actually fairly certain no monster is immune to any traps in this version, as I've yet to see one fail even in cases where I assumed they would. Burrowing monsters can still destroy traps, though (shock traps at least).

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Funkmaster General posted:

I got a Nibel in a pit trap. It didn't go off when I set it next to his sleeping body so I thought he was immune but after I woke him up he walked into it and went down. I'm actually fairly certain no monster is immune to any traps in this version, as I've yet to see one fail even in cases where I assumed they would. Burrowing monsters can still destroy traps, though (shock traps at least).

A fully charged up Zinogre laughs at Shock Traps.

I found that out the hard way :saddowns:.

edit: Yeah, but Shock Traps are usually at least adequate to capture a giant rear end monster. Zinogre just blows it the gently caress up.
vvvv

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 1, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

Well, yeah. Shock traps don't work well on heavy monsters, that's what pitfall traps are for. But then a lot of monsters are just randomly immune to pitfall traps, so use a wiki.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

edit: Yeah, but Shock Traps are usually at least adequate to capture a giant rear end monster. Zinogre just blows it the gently caress up.
vvvv

What's great is that he sucks up the electricity from it and can go into his super mode if you're not careful.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress hercudrome farming. Seriously what the hell. There needs to be a quest that's just for bug farming because every area (except volcano which I haven't unlocked) produces 0-1 each run.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Bobnumerotres posted:

gently caress hercudrome farming. Seriously what the hell. There needs to be a quest that's just for bug farming because every area (except volcano which I haven't unlocked) produces 0-1 each run.

The best thing to do when bug farming is going up a rank, when possible, because rare bugs in lower ranks become much more common.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I had a friend farming Hercudromes -- In the time that it took him to get 2, I had managed to pull about ten rustshards and dozens of charms. I got my Eternal Strife SnS weapon.

It deals 400 dragon damage :stare:

For some odd reason it seems that it deals less damage than slime, which is kind of dissapointing

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 1, 2013

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
I beat Ceadeus, took me four tries on the chase scene just to get to the actual fight. Beat him on the first try, but I nearly timed out. Felt like a boss.

Now High Rank is making me feel like a little bitch. I was wondering when Monster Hunter was really gonna start. Almost when you least expect it to. I need to expand my HH collection a little more. Missing some element's, when damage values are really starting to matter.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

For some odd reason it seems that it deals less damage than slime, which is kind of dissapointing
Get used to this. Is isn't just that slime is so good, but that Brachy weapons are good even without slime. Go look at a Jho weapon compared to a Brachy weapon. It's loving stupid. I am hard pressed to find a better weapon upgrade that is reasonable to obtain at any given point, that isn't already outclassed by brachy weapons, utterly disregarding slime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I kept trying to get the Helios Z armor but had no idea that the female version was a different name. I fought Goldbeard Ceadeus a dozen times wondering why the hell it didn't unlock. However by the time I found this out I had all the parts ready to make the full set of armor.

Also what's the second quest to fully upgrade your drinks? I got the first one from beating five star Jhen, but is the second one linked to village progress as well?

• Locked thread