Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The odds ratio of being in a fatal car accident with cannabis in your system is 1.25 according to this meta-analysis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22785089

That's well within the legally acceptable range of risk for driving under the influence of alcohol.

At the legal limit (BAC 0.08) the odds ratio of being in a fatal crash is 13.00: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22563862

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

RichieWolk posted:

The difference between the alcoholic saying they're good to drive and the stoner is the stoner has verifiable claims while drunk driving kills thousands every year.

If you smoke yourself to the point where you're actually dangerous on the road, you'll realize "holy poo poo I'm so high I shouldn't drive cause I'll kill myself and/or others", then become one with the couch and annihilate some pretzels. If you drink enough alcohol to be dangerous on the road, you may not even realize you're still buzzed.

I suspect the DUI limit will always be set unnecessarily low in order to recover lost revenue from asset forfeiture. As approaching the level of impairment which would make you a danger on the road will actually make you avoid getting on the road in the first place, any sort of arbitrarily low number will have a negligible effect on actual road safety.

From the conclusions of the NORML link you posted (which isn't exactly an unbiased source)

quote:

The above review illustrates the need for further education and understanding regarding the effects of cannabis upon driving behavior. While its adverse impact on psychomotor skills is less severe than the effects of alcohol, driving under the acute influence of cannabis still may pose an elevated risk of accident in certain situations, especially among inexperienced cannabis consumers. However, because marijuana's psychomotor impairment is subtle and short-lived, consumers can greatly reduce this risk by refraining from driving for a period of several hours immediately following their cannabis use.

And, you admit yourself that it's possible to "smoke yourself to the point where you're actually dangerous on the road." You're just asking people to take the other half of your argument on faith, though - that someone who's dangerously impaired will necessarily realize it. Personally, I can give a pretty conservative estimate of my own BAC. I've tested it with an honest to god calibrated Intoxilyzer and my "I don't feel safe to drive" level is below 0.08. I'm still not going to go around saying "hey, it's perfectly fine to drink and then drive, just make sure you feel like you're 'sober enough' first. I can do it, DUI laws are bullshit!"

The same is true of marijuana. It's certainly possible that some people are able to accurately judge their own impairment - but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone can. And, when it comes to operating heavy machinery in public, "better safe than sorry" isn't a bad principle. Even if you're an MMJ patient, there are other medicines that make it unsafe to drive, too. Simply taking them doesn't mean that you get to engage in behavior that's potentially very risky to everyone else.

As for your asset forfeiture argument, I'd point out that neither Washington nor Colorado (who are taking the lead on this for obvious reasons) have laws that allow for the permanent forfeiture of vehicles because the driver was under the influence.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Space Gopher posted:

From the conclusions of the NORML link you posted (which isn't exactly an unbiased source)

And, you admit yourself that it's possible to "smoke yourself to the point where you're actually dangerous on the road." You're just asking people to take the other half of your argument on faith, though - that someone who's dangerously impaired will necessarily realize it. Personally, I can give a pretty conservative estimate of my own BAC. I've tested it with an honest to god calibrated Intoxilyzer and my "I don't feel safe to drive" level is below 0.08. I'm still not going to go around saying "hey, it's perfectly fine to drink and then drive, just make sure you feel like you're 'sober enough' first. I can do it, DUI laws are bullshit!"

The same is true of marijuana. It's certainly possible that some people are able to accurately judge their own impairment - but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone can. And, when it comes to operating heavy machinery in public, "better safe than sorry" isn't a bad principle. Even if you're an MMJ patient, there are other medicines that make it unsafe to drive, too. Simply taking them doesn't mean that you get to engage in behavior that's potentially very risky to everyone else.

As for your asset forfeiture argument, I'd point out that neither Washington nor Colorado (who are taking the lead on this for obvious reasons) have laws that allow for the permanent forfeiture of vehicles because the driver was under the influence.

While I don't disagree with the notion that there's a risk of driving impaired with MJ (as with any cause of an impaired condition) I think that there's little reason to believe additional laws pertaining specifically to driving high will change much. Access is already rather plentiful, there's a good chance that the people who would drive while high already do and are already (:haw:) baked into the current DWI statistics. Not all impaired drivers are high and not all smokers will drive while high. If anything, the kind of people currently refraining from marijuana use due to local laws would probably not drive high, and anyone that would drive while high were weed legal everywhere probably does now anyway.

Add to that the various effects of cannabis that don't lend themselves to choosing to drive. It's been a long time but my choice was invariably "gently caress that poo poo, I'm playing goddamn Secret of Mana and I'm ordering food" or raiding my fridge. I don't want to really plant a flag and die on the 'weed makes you lazy' hill but in all honesty when you're high you probably find better things to do than go and drive around. Unless you are the kind that smokes alone and then goes and sees friends.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They're not approving "bars" for marijuana are they? That seems like it would dramatically decrease the possibility of DUIs occurring.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Luckily the whole 'you can drive while stoned, its easy!' argument doesn't matter, as the only two states where it is legal have laws against too much THC in your system while driving. And since a legalization effort failed in California due to fears of stoners weaving wildly down the highway, for the foreseeable future all legalization efforts will very likely contain a similar clause.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it still impossible to test for the THC levels? Aside from a blood test which a cop doesn't have off-hand.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
WA requires a blood test, not sure about CO. Not sure how it works but a urine test is far too inaccurate for proper testing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

hobbesmaster posted:

They're not approving "bars" for marijuana are they? That seems like it would dramatically decrease the possibility of DUIs occurring.

Lots of bars in Washington had private smoking lounges to get around indoor smoking laws and all they had to do was say "Weed's cool, too."

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Colorado's weed-DUI law is actually very progressive in this regard and recognizes that marijuana is far different than alcohol:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/driving-stoned-bill-up-for-vote-in-colorado-house-tuesday

quote:

House Bill 1114 would presume drivers are too stoned if their blood contains more than 5 nanograms of THC per milliliter. THC is the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Waller said his bill is different from previous versions because it would allow someone to rebut that they are impaired at the 5 nanogram level.

"For example, if you did not exhibit poor driving, you can put that on as evidence to say, "Look my driving was not poor...I'm not unsafe to operate a motor vehicle," Waller said.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thank god, 5 ng/ml is so drat low it's insane.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Just a mention of a couple recent news blurbs (no links, but easy enough to find if anyone cares) that I saw and are relevant to the topic at hand:

A Montana judge said that he didn't like minimum sentencing standards in a case involving a medical cannabis grower and gave the very minimumest sentence he could. I got the impression that he would have just fined the guy a dollar and 20 hours community service if he could.

The other was just a few days ago and mentioned a WA (maybe Seattle?) police dept. looking to train sniffing dogs to ignore weed.

Ripples in the pond kinda stuff, a hopeful sign of changing societal attitudes at the very least.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Thank god, 5 ng/ml is so drat low it's insane.

5ng/ml is very little... for a urine test. Its quite a bit for a blood test. Not to mention that to hit 5ng/ml from a blood test you would have to be currently high, the amount of THC in blood decreases very quickly.
Remember: blood test is radically different than urine test.
(Looking for a reference for all this, but its hard to find decent papers on something that became 'legal' a few months ago)
Edit: Found a good link - http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/drugtestguide/drugtestdetection.html#blood

quote:

Unlike urine tests, blood tests detect the active presence of THC in the bloodstream. In the case of smoked marijuana, THC peaks rapidly in the first few minutes after inhaling, often to levels above 100 ng/ml in blood plasma. It then declines quickly to single-digit levels within an hour. High THC levels are therefore a good indication that the subject has smoked marijuana recently. THC can remain at low but detectable levels of 1-2 ng/ml for 8 hours or more without any measurable signs of impairment in one-time users. In chronic users, detectable amounts of blood THC can persist for days. In one study of chronic users, residual THC was detected for 24 to 48 hours or longer at levels of 0.5 - 3.2 ng/ml in whole blood (1.0 - 6.4 ng/ml in serum) [Skopp and Potsch].

So just don't drive high. Its a very small price to pay for legalization, and not worth worrying/complaining about.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 2, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I agree; it is a very small price to pay indeed. However, your quoted numbers there show that a regular user can be at up to 3.2 ng/ml for days after the person last smoked. In that scenario, it's possible that the person could be above 5ng/ml 24+ hours after last smoking. It's basically saying "If you are a daily user, you may not ever be sober enough to drive."

So: not a huge deal. But still something that needs to get worked out, preferably in a manner similar to that bill referenced a few posts above me.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 2, 2013

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Mrit posted:

5ng/ml is very little... for a urine test. Its quite a bit for a blood test. Not to mention that to hit 5ng/ml from a blood test you would have to be currently high

that link you posted in the same post posted:

In one study of chronic users, residual THC was detected for 24 to 48 hours or longer at levels of 0.5 - 3.2 ng/ml in whole blood

If a chronic stoner is at 3.2 ng/ml sober, do you think that 5 ng/ml is really high enough to be too impaired to drive safely?

quote:

So just don't drive high. Its a very small price to pay for legalization, and not worth worrying/complaining about.

I think it is worth worrying and complaining about! If laws get passed that set marijuana DUI limits at an arbitrarily low number, many otherwise law-abiding citizens could be ticketed or even arrested for making the road a hazardous deathtrapdriving too cautiously.

Good thing marijuana is still a schedule I substance so we're forbidden from getting actual meaningful numbers for making beneficial DUI laws! :rolleye:

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Hopefully now in WA and CO there is enough freedom to do better scientific testing than what we've had previously.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

RichieWolk posted:

If a chronic stoner is at 3.2 ng/ml sober, do you think that 5 ng/ml is really high enough to be too impaired to drive safely?

I think it is worth worrying and complaining about! If laws get passed that set marijuana DUI limits at an arbitrarily low number, many otherwise law-abiding citizens could be ticketed or even arrested for making the road a hazardous deathtrapdriving too cautiously.

Good thing marijuana is still a schedule I substance so we're forbidden from getting actual meaningful numbers for making beneficial DUI laws! :rolleye:

This part from the link is more relevant.

quote:

Unlike urine, blood test results can give a useful indicator of whether one is under the influence of marijuana. Studies have shown that high THC blood levels are correlated with impaired driving. An expert panel review of scientific studies on driving under the influence of cannabis concluded that THC levels above 3.5 - 5 ng/ml in blood (or 7 - 10 ng/ml in serum) indicate likely impairment [Grotenhermen]. The same review found no increased driving hazard at low levels of THC. Despite the fact that accident studies have repeatedly failed to find evidence of increased driving risk at low levels (1 or 2 ng in blood) of THC, numerous states and foreign countries have enacted "zero-tolerance" laws, treating any non-zero trace of THC as legal evidence for driving under the influence. Others have fixed, per se limits above which DUI is presumed, often with no scientific basis. However, most states (including California) don't have per se limits, but define DUI in terms of whether the totality of evidence (including drug test results) shows that the driver was impaired by marijuana or drugs.
I don't care if you think you can drive fine like this, I know a guy that says he drives fine when he has had a few drinks and is tipsy (I have not been willing to test his assertion). But lines need to be drawn. And people in general are comfortable with them being drawn here.
Edit: Also, I don't think it will even be an issue. As far as I know they will have to take you to the police station to draw blood. If you are over 5ng after a trip to the station you would have to have baked out of your mind when you were driving.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 2, 2013

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005
As a smoker who lives in WA what it comes down to for me is regardless of how low the limit is you need to give them a reason to pull you over in the first place. So don't smoke when you feel impaired and drive safe and it's not going to be a problem.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Squarb posted:

As a smoker who lives in WA what it comes down to for me is regardless of how low the limit is you need to give them a reason to pull you over in the first place. So don't smoke when you feel impaired and drive safe and it's not going to be a problem.

How many people really drive around without giving cops "a reason" to pull them over in the first place though? Speeding, not signaling, rolling through stop signs, cheating on traffic lights, blocking intersections, etc.. People do this stuff all the time, and I'm sure most of them would consider themselves safe/good drivers.

Edit: Although I guess I don't know what they need in order to go from pulled over for speeding -> drawing blood to test for the weed.

tk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tk posted:

How many people really drive around without giving cops "a reason" to pull them over in the first place though? Speeding, not signaling, rolling through stop signs, cheating on traffic lights, blocking intersections, etc.. People do this stuff all the time, and I'm sure most of them would consider themselves safe/good drivers.

With the exception of speeding, all of those are always more dangerous for them and everyone around them, so they aren't safe/good drivers/

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

tk posted:

Edit: Although I guess I don't know what they need in order to go from pulled over for speeding -> drawing blood to test for the weed.

http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/i502.pdf

Here's the text of I-502, part V, which is what amends the drunk driving codes starts on page 45. Basically they need the exact same causes they would need to pull you over for drunk driving. They also must get your consent to draw blood or run a breathalyzer. In keeping with the alcohol reform measures, if you are under 21 and you blow more than .02 or blood more than 0 you can still face a special charge. The 0 part is a little bit worrying, because I think you can get to 1 ng secondhand, but otherwise in Washington it is literally identical to how they currently treat DUIs.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Warchicken posted:

I enjoy jumping to conclusions about things I couldn't possibly understand and have never experienced.
On second thought I don't want to drag a deceased friends information into this. Consider keeping catchphrases in GBS however.

Umph fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 2, 2013

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Umph posted:

On second thought I don't want to drag a deceased friends information into this. Consider keeping catchphrases in GBS however.

But your story sounds like complete bullshit. Your friend smoked pot laced with formaldehyde(which literally never happens) and then died in a car wreck? Really? What is this, sixth grade?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Brave New World posted:

But your story sounds like complete bullshit. Your friend smoked pot laced with formaldehyde(which literally never happens) and then died in a car wreck? Really? What is this, sixth grade?

Yes, my friend smoked adulterated weed and then died in a a car accident in 1998 when he was 16. This did happen. The issue is if it's not a black market substance these things wouldn't happen. I also had 3 friends from high school die from Heroin accidents in the subsequent years. Some died in DWI incidents, some in fights while under the influence of drugs. The dealer had bragged about dipping his cigarettes in the stuff, so we assumed that's what it had been. People became delirious after smoking it. I suppose it could have been something else wrong with it.

I was nearly speared to death by an aboriginal in Australia, shot in Mexico, and robbed in Mumbai. Would you like to call me a liar on something I can prove happened that doesn't require me giving internet detectives the name of a dead child for the sake of an e-argument? Since when in D&D are peoples' antidotes called into question in this manner? What does sixth grade have to do with anything? A young human died while operating machinery while intoxicated on adulterated marijuana. Sorry if that information or the fact that I was acquainted with him offends your worldviews in some way.

Umph fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 2, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Red_Mage posted:

http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/i502.pdf

Here's the text of I-502, part V, which is what amends the drunk driving codes starts on page 45. Basically they need the exact same causes they would need to pull you over for drunk driving. They also must get your consent to draw blood or run a breathalyzer. In keeping with the alcohol reform measures, if you are under 21 and you blow more than .02 or blood more than 0 you can still face a special charge. The 0 part is a little bit worrying, because I think you can get to 1 ng secondhand, but otherwise in Washington it is literally identical to how they currently treat DUIs.

Having a brother who is both an ex pothead and currently a cop, I can tell you right now that a cop can pull you over for drat near any reason. Is your license plate too dirty to read? pulled. No front plate in a state that requires it? pulled. Driving alone in the middle of the night with no other cars out? pulled. Ask me how I know this one. I got stopped twice by 2 separate state troopers when I was driving home from Texas to CO because it was a Saturday night and I was the only car on the road, so they just assumed I was drunk. No ticket either time but they both "claimed" I was speeding when I was staring at the loving speedometer and doing exactly the limit after the first pull.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Umph posted:

Yes, my friend smoked adulterated weed and then died in a a car accident in 1998 when he was 16. This did happen. The issue is if it's not a black market substance these things wouldn't happen. I also had 3 friends from high school die from Heroin accidents in the subsequent years. Some died in DWI incidents, some in fights while under the influence of drugs. The dealer had bragged about dipping his cigarettes in the stuff, so we assumed that's what it had been. People became delirious after smoking it. I suppose it could have been something else wrong with it.

I was nearly speared to death by an aboriginal in Australia, shot in Mexico, and robbed in Mumbai. Would you like to call me a liar on something I can prove happened that doesn't require me giving internet detectives the name of a dead child for the sake of an e-argument? Since when in D&D are peoples' antidotes called into question in this manner? What does sixth grade have to do with anything? A young human died while operating machinery while intoxicated on adulterated marijuana. Sorry if that information or the fact that I was acquainted with him offends your worldviews in some way.

Your story is sounding more and more like bullshit. How would you even know that he smoked laced marijuana in that incident?

Squarb posted:

Driving while black is still an issue. Cops can pull you over for drat near anything.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Kit Walker posted:

Your story is sounding more and more like bullshit. How would you even know that he smoked laced marijuana in that incident?

Because DARE taught him that anytime someone has an adverse reaction to weed, it was obviously laced with Angel dust or bleach or some poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If anything it was probably sherm (PCP laced weed). A friend has a family member that got some (on purpose) and had a mental breakdown leading to a hospital stay.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

If anything it was probably sherm (PCP laced weed). A friend has a family member that got some (on purpose) and had a mental breakdown leading to a hospital stay.

This is where the "formaldehyde" myth comes from. Formaldehyde isn't psychoactive - however, the world "formaldehyde" is a street name for PCP in many places. If you've had formaldehyde dipped marijuana, it's got PCP on it, not literal embalming fluid.

Or whoever sold it to you is a moron.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
A cop can find any reason to pull you over if they really want but for the most part they don't. Unless you are driving at a very weird time of night in some weird area then they don't really have a reason to check you for anything. Not driving like a retard will save you from getting pulled over 9/10 times.

If you driving isn't affected by the amount of THC currently in your system then you should be pulled over with the exact same frequency as if there was none in your system. If your driving is affected and you get pulled over more often then perhaps you should reconsider if you should be driving and consider getting a ride.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Install Gentoo posted:

With the exception of speeding, all of those are always more dangerous for them and everyone around them, so they aren't safe/good drivers/

Well you can define "good/safe" driver however you'd like but if you would exclude everyone who ever does any of that stuff I think the list would be pretty drat small.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MaxxBot posted:

Well you can define "good/safe" driver however you'd like but if you would exclude everyone who ever does any of that stuff I think the list would be pretty drat small.

Correct, most people are unsafe drivers and also aren't particularly good at driving.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Umph posted:

I don't mean to continue a pointless derail, but people are supposed to get delirious after smoking weed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-nevermind-

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Warchicken posted:

I don't mean to continue a pointless derail, but people are supposed to get delirious after smoking weed.

Not drug-delirious, just a bit goofy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliriant

quote:

The delirium produced is characterized by stupor, confusion, confabulation, and regression to "phantom" behaviors such as disrobing and plucking. Other commonly reported behaviors include holding full conversations with imagined people, finishing a complex, multi-stage action (such as getting dressed) and then suddenly discovering one had not even begun yet, and being unable to recognize one's own reflection in a mirror.

Deliriants are scary poo poo.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

TheGreySpectre posted:

A cop can find any reason to pull you over if they really want but for the most part they don't.
For the most part they don't [if you're white].

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Kit Walker posted:

Driving while black is still an issue. Cops can pull you over for drat near anything.

This is true, then they can ask you to take a breathalyzer/blood test. If you consent, they go off that, if you don't its a complicated process and you could end up in trouble maybe. If you aren't driving right after smoking though (or well after smoking if you are under 21) its not going to be any more of an issue than driving while black currently is.

In fact it will be ever so slightly less of an issue, because the smell of weed may be probable cause for a blood test, but is no longer cause to bring out the dogs. A racist cop is still going to be a horrible racist, making driving while high work just like a DUI doesn't really have much bearing on that.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 3, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Red_Mage posted:

In fact it will be ever so slightly less of an issue, because the smell of weed may be probable cause for a blood test, but is no longer cause to bring out the dogs.

This right here is one of the best things about mj legalization in my opinion. "I smell pot" has been the magical incantation that has allowed cops to completely ignore the 4th amendment and search your car or enter your residence without consent. Its happened to me, a white male, on a number of occasions and I would be willing to bet it has happened to literally every black person in the US. I'm totally fine with a low bar DUI test if it takes that away from the police. Although I'm sure some enterprising police force will come up with a brilliant new way to legally toss black people's cars, at least that particular end run around the constitution will be taken off the table.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

If you aren't driving right after smoking though (or well after smoking if you are under 21) its not going to be any more of an issue than driving while black currently is.
Are you really this dense?

YOUR POST posted:

In one study of chronic users, residual THC was detected for 24 to 48 hours or longer at levels of 0.5 - 3.2 ng/ml in whole blood (1.0 - 6.4 ng/ml in serum)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So it basically means you can't drive for a bit while after getting high. Is that really that terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This right here is one of the best things about mj legalization in my opinion. "I smell pot" has been the magical incantation that has allowed cops to completely ignore the 4th amendment and search your car or enter your residence without consent. Its happened to me, a white male, on a number of occasions and I would be willing to bet it has happened to literally every black person in the US. I'm totally fine with a low bar DUI test if it takes that away from the police. Although I'm sure some enterprising police force will come up with a brilliant new way to legally toss black people's cars, at least that particular end run around the constitution will be taken off the table.

How does legalization change this? "I smell pot" is still the same as "I smell liquor on your breath". It can still be used as a pretense to get you out of the car, pat you down, and search your vehicle. Whether or not the search is legal doesn't really matter. The cop will claim ignorance and will never face any repercussions unless the incident goes horribly wrong and someone dies. Maybe not even then.

• Locked thread