Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

I'd be happy to listen to a podcast with Megan Ganz but seriously Pete Holmes, 3.5 hours is loving ridiculous :cmon:

I started listening to that one, it's a good episode. I listened for a while, then I realized I'd been listening for two hours, then I shut it down cause I had other stuff to do. I don't begrudge Pete talking forever, if it gets tiresome I just shut it down cause I know there's more coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I just started listening to the TJ Miller ep of YMIW that I referred to and he says it was at the Laugh Factory, so it must've been different incidents.

Also it was apparently Joe Rogan's podcast that Dane Cook went on to talk poo poo about Miller. They kept saying Miller was just mad he got bumped, but he wasn't - he was mad that Dane Cook was doing material that made the audience uncomfortable and yelling at them for not liking it when they hadn't even shown up to see him. And Miller had to go up right after him and deal with that audience.

Ultimately a lot of comedians got down on TJ for giving Dane poo poo in a public forum when Dane claims he was 'trying to work out new material.' When Dane went on Rogan's podcast, Deathsquad of course got involved and everyone shat on TJ for a while. TJ apologized, I think Dane apologized, too.

It's not entirely dissimilar from the Jay Mohr/Bert Kreischer incident, but that one is weirder.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mescal posted:

I started listening to that one, it's a good episode. I listened for a while, then I realized I'd been listening for two hours, then I shut it down cause I had other stuff to do. I don't begrudge Pete talking forever, if it gets tiresome I just shut it down cause I know there's more coming.

If I start listening to a podcast (or reading a book or whatever) and it starts to suck, I still finish it, because my brain is broken or something and I can't bring myself to just turn it off and cut my losses. So a lot of the time I skip YMIW because I don't want to invest 3 hours into something I might be annoyed by.

(Yes I know this is my problem and not ol' Petey Pants' problem)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Ultimately a lot of comedians got down on TJ for giving Dane poo poo in a public forum when Dane claims he was 'trying to work out new material.' When Dane went on Rogan's podcast, Deathsquad of course got involved and everyone shat on TJ for a while. TJ apologized, I think Dane apologized, too.

It's not entirely dissimilar from the Jay Mohr/Bert Kreischer incident, but that one is weirder.

Exactly. It's one thing for an audience member, who admits she's never been to a comedy show, to go interrupt Daniel Tosh and write a Tumblr post berating him for a joke. It's a WHOLE another thing for a colleague to do it. I thought TJ was 100% entirely in the wrong in that situation and I bet you he regrets it.

Whether you're an audience member or fellow comic, if you have a problem with what's being said on stage, talk to them like a man and have a conversation. Don't live tweet or tumbl or any of that nonsense. Especially when there's no video evidence so it's your word vs the comic who everyone loves to hate (but the comic you won't ever admit that you laughed their rear end off to Harmful If Swallowed in high school).

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ChickenArise posted:

Are you referring to Bert's story about Tracy Morgan that he allowed Jay to tell onstage, but to not record for a special which he ended up doing anyway? Because if so, that doesn't seem very similar at all.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

HAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - Pete Holmes laughing to himself while reading that tweet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

wafflesnsegways posted:

I've been listening to Garlin's podcast. If you think he's annoying, this won't change your mind. But he gets great guests from outside of the normal podcast circles, and he gets great stories out of them.

I love this podcast and I love him but even then in the Will Ferrel episode his laughter got way too loud

I forgive him though

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you dislike loud laughs you are going to hate the upcoming episode of You Made It Weird with Bert Kreischer as the guest.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've never listened to Pete Holmes' podcast but man everytime it gets brought up in the thread it sounds like the worst thing ever (even when people are praising it)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

KimT posted:

I've never listened to Pete Holmes' podcast but man everytime it gets brought up in the thread it sounds like the worst thing ever (even when people are praising it)

Again with the backhanded compliments, I think it's really cool and you get a good glimpse behind the curtains with the real struggles of comedians trying to get jobs, travelling, etc. But, once you hear the same stories three or four times, you tend to skip those parts. It's cool when he stumbles upon unique stuff, though.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mierenneuker posted:

If you dislike loud laughs you are going to hate the upcoming episode of You Made It Weird with Bert Kreischer as the guest.

I hope he tells his insane Russia story again.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've really only listened to the Chelsea Peretti episodes and those were fantastic. The others I've listened to were good, but I'm not really into conversational podcasts. If you are, it's kind of the anti-WTF. Maron is probably the better interviewer, but Pete is as relentlessly upbeat as Maron is relentlessly dour. Both can be annoying. I prefer to listen to Pete only occasionally; if I tried to listen to his podcast even semi-regularly I probably wouldn't be able to stand him.

KPCS is far better than either of them, but there aren't as many episodes of KPCS and it isn't as focused on comedians, especially not the lesser known comedians that are often on YMIW/WTF.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mierenneuker posted:

Only tuning into this because I can never get enough Bert in my life.

THE MACHINE!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I tried to listen to his podcast even semi-regularly I probably wouldn't be able to stand him.

Weren't you the dude like a month ago who said you were like Pete Holmes and posted a list of the reasons why?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUaesfSQZI
This just popped up on VPN.
I don't know exactly when the last time I saw him was, but did Norm age a decade or two somewhat recently? When did he get the gullwings?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Weren't you the dude like a month ago who said you were like Pete Holmes and posted a list of the reasons why?

That was my truly awful attempt at a joke at my own expense. I'm not crazy enough to think comparing myself to Pete Holmes was a positive thing. :v:

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 26, 2013

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't know exactly when the last time I saw him was, but did Norm age a decade or two somewhat recently? When did he get the gullwings?

I can't thank you enough for this. The entire thing is amazing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Norm Macdonald looks like someone wearing a Norm Macdonald mask.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Teenage Fansub posted:

Super Dave was fantastic throughout that.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I can't believe he's been parlaying that same shtick since I was a child. I can totally remember watching him on Bizarre and I guess he was doing it waaaay before then, too. Does he ever explain why he sounds like he's been yelling at his wife all night?

King Lou fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 26, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think that's just the way the guy sounds. He has the same voice when he's playing Marty Funkhouser on Curb.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, it looks like he's aged a decade since the sports show got cancelled. And that's just Dave's regular voice: http://teamcoco.com/video/super-dave-osborne-has-freaky-lips

Not sure why there isn't already a real talk show with Norm with Dave as his sidekick that just talks poo poo about everything going on in the show.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I didn't see it posted, but there's a brand new Dead Authors with Andy Daly as the Marquis de Sade... It's loving hilarious.

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-15-the-marquis-de-sade-featuring-andy-daly

"You should live every day as if you're going to jail for murdering prostitutes!"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

escape artist posted:

I didn't see it posted, but there's a brand new Dead Authors with Andy Daly as the Marquis de Sade... It's loving hilarious.

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-15-the-marquis-de-sade-featuring-andy-daly

"You should live every day as if you're going to jail for murdering prostitutes!"

I'm dying for the Ayn Rand (John Hodgeman)episode of DAP. I've been excited for it for months now, damnit H.G. why do you torment me so?!

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Yessss I've been waiting for a new DAP. I wish he'd release them closer to when he actually records them.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'm dying for the Ayn Rand (John Hodgeman)episode of DAP. I've been excited for it for months now, damnit H.G. why do you torment me so?!

PFT sits on the recordings for a notoriously long time. Case in point:

@DeadAuthorPod posted:

Thanks to @KevinTPorter for this delightful pastiche of Wells & de Sade from last night's show! cc: @TVsAndyDaly pic.twitter.com/SzNBIgcz

Posted July 21, 2012.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There's another one with Matt Gourley, but I can't remember who he's on as. I hate how PFT saves up all these episodes and releases them at once.

I really hope he does a Jules Verne episode, with someone who's good at being his foil. Scott Aukerman or James Adomian maybe.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I really hope he does a Jules Verne episode, with someone who's good at being his foil. Scott Aukerman or James Adomian maybe.

Maybe have Verne begins the podcast and then Wells barges in and the rest of the episode is just the two debating who started interviewing dead authors first and then having a mess of an interview with the guest.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Now you got me excited, too. John Hodgman, from what I've seen in the Daily Show, does deadpan really well. Why do you torture me so.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 27, 2013

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

toanoradian posted:

WHO as WHAT? Now you got me excited, too. Why do you torture me so.

John Hodgman is more amazing than anyone can imagine.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

There's another one with Matt Gourley, but I can't remember who he's on as. I hate how PFT saves up all these episodes and releases them at once.
He's in three episodes as one of the Brothers Grimm, one of the authors of the gospels and Carl Sagan.

I feel like this would be good for Jason Mantzoukas.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Odd criticism to make since months go by between DAP episodes. I presume he just doesn't want to burn through the backlog, since it seems a fairly infrequent event. Sometimes for fun I presume it's because he takes so long to get in then out of character.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 27, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you guys haven't jumped on the Doodie Calls poo poo-stained bandwagon yet, now's the time. This week's episode has 3 hilarious poo poo stories from UCB's Anthony Atamanuik and it's only part 1 of a two (heh) parter. It's a good palette cleanser after listening to men pretending to be giants of the early 20th century literary world.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Fezz posted:

He's in three episodes as one of the Brothers Grimm, one of the authors of the gospels and Carl Sagan.

I misremembered, it's actually Jeremy Carter as Joseph Campbell.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Thanks for pointing this out. Pretty good for a first show but that Adam Egat guy needs to go. I'm sure he's a super cool guy in real life, but he's horrible for a podcast. Sucks all the life out of everything.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Colin Quinn was amazing on Doug Loves Movies :allears: He was so into it and down to play the games. I'd love to start hearing him on other podcasts. Usually DLM is a show I enjoy without necessarily laughing a lot because the guests often rely a little heavily on crowd work with the live audience, but Colin giving Doug poo poo in a way that didn't detract from the games was hilarious, as was Doug kind of deferring to him I guess? I don't know if that's exactly what I mean but it was obvious Doug was having a great time too.

Greggy fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 27, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

escape artist posted:

I always forget how good this is. You'd think Wells would have plenty of time to record more episodes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Not exactly comedy but comedy related Brody Stevens and Maria Bamford both had episodes of the Mental Illness Happy Hour recently. Hearing about Brody's breakdown was damned interesting.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Not exactly comedy but comedy related Brody Stevens and Maria Bamford both had episodes of the Mental Illness Happy Hour recently. Hearing about Brody's breakdown was damned interesting.

Brody had a HBOGo show called 'Enjoy It!' that documented the whole ordeal pretty well, so check that out if you're interested.

It's even on YouTube!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Oops, wrong thread. Can I delete this?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No. Your shame will live on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Just saw on Dave Anthony's twitter that Walking the Room is back from hiatus. Should be interesting to hear what Greg has to say.

• Locked thread