Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

I just saw the non-3D version of Oz because I didn't expect the film to make good use of it. Then I came home to learn that it actually made fantastic use of it.

That'll teach me to see a film before it's reviewed.

You can write your own review about the 2d version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The lead in indicates there's an Evil Dead review, is it missing?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The lead in indicates there's an Evil Dead review, is it missing?

Oops. You saw nothing!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Professor Clumsy posted:

Oops. You saw nothing!

Look, just don't flashy thingie me again, all right?!

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Nucular Carmul posted:

Look, just don't flashy thingie me again, all right?!

The thing you saw was not an Evil Dead review, it was a pocket of swamp gas reflecting light from Venus.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
And make it a happy memory of an Evil Dead review.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wasn't The Guilt Trip supposed to have come out months ago? I remember seeing ads for it in New York at the end of last year.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Y-Hat posted:

Wasn't The Guilt Trip supposed to have come out months ago? I remember seeing ads for it in New York at the end of last year.

It's American release date was around Christmas, yes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

effectual posted:

You can write your own review about the 2d version.

"It was pretty good."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jesus, that name for Jim Carrey's tv show in Burt Wonderstone. Brain Rapist?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Probably a jab at Chris Angel: Mindfreak.

edit: and by jab I mean baseball bat to the head.

Buffalo squeeze fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 18, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What sick logic do you have to have to make the leap from "freak" to "rapist?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

What sick logic do you have to have to make the leap from "freak" to "rapist?"

I think "Mindfreak" (Criss Angel's TV show) is a TV-friendly version of "mindfuck".

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

The onscreen graphic is just "#RAPIST"

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
So Grad school has been kicking my rear end and I haven't made it to the multiplex almost at all this year. We're nearing the four month mark (and last year by this point we'd had both The Grey and Chronicle)-- what are the best movies you guys have seen so far that were released in 2013?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
a

Sheldrake posted:

So Grad school has been kicking my rear end and I haven't made it to the multiplex almost at all this year. We're nearing the four month mark (and last year by this point we'd had both The Grey and Chronicle)-- what are the best movies you guys have seen so far that were released in 2013?

I was all ready to say my moviegoing experiences have been pretty crap thus far in the year, but looking at it now, there are a lot of films that rank "Pretty Good" to me. Just no particular standout "OHGODWATCHTHISNOW" like The Grey was last year. In order, my favorites thus far:

Side Effects
Oz The Great and Powerful
The Last Stand
21 and Over

All of these are Pretty Good movies.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Vargo posted:

Side Effects
Oz The Great and Powerful
The Last Stand
21 and Over

All of these are Pretty Good movies.

I will admit I'm surprised to see 21 and Over in there. It leaves my theater on Friday, I'll have to try to catch it. Thanks!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
So far, Warm Bodies and Good Day to Die Hard have been my favorites this year.

There are a few things I've missed, that I'm sure I'll enjoy, it's just finding a time when I'm not working or watching boring crap. There's been a lot of boring crap so far this year.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

The Last Stand, A Good Day to Die Hard and now Welcome to the Punch have been the only films to really impress me this year. Two action movies and a plotty action thriller. The best film I've seen in 2013 is Cloud Atlas, a 2012 film. 2012 spoiled us.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Dub posted:

So far, Warm Bodies and Good Day to Die Hard have been my favorites this year.

There are a few things I've missed, that I'm sure I'll enjoy, it's just finding a time when I'm not working or watching boring crap. There's been a lot of boring crap so far this year.

Oh, yeah, I forgot that Warm Bodies was surprisingly good. Put that on my list.

I'll need to see A Good day to Die Hard before it's out of theaters.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Beautiful Creatures was pretty good too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jack Reacher was good. Didn't come out in China til Feb. but I dunno the us release.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

effectual posted:

Jack Reacher was good. Didn't come out in China til Feb. but I dunno the us release.

It was out in December here. We all enjoyed it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I ended up seeing Admission last night, and I was wondering what the take on it here would be. I mostly agree with the review, with two exceptions. I think what the movie's ultimately trying to be about is parents and children, rather than an overt indictment of the admissions process. I mean, the movie does end up acknowledging that what Portia's doing is unethical, and for a very good reason. And it spends more time on those relationships than on making a political point, I thought.

Also, I enjoyed Portia's takedown of the kids at the school, because they were smug little shits. Their thinking didn't go beyond knee-jerk, self-righteous "gently caress the establishment" cliches. Maybe I'm oversensitive to that, having to deal with so many retarded opinions modding GBS, but I enjoyed seeing someone say to them, "Hey, if you really want to make the world a better place, you might want to actually know some poo poo about how it works."

Oh, and I liked Lily Tomlin, but I like Lily Tomlin no matter what she's doing. I'd pay money to see her reading random people's misspelled Tweets for an hour and a half.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
About halfway through the Spring Breakers review I actually stopped and said out loud "What the gently caress am I reading?" I have to go see this movie now :psyduck:

Also, all of the minority reports this week were brilliant.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh, and I liked Lily Tomlin, but I like Lily Tomlin no matter what she's doing. I'd pay money to see her reading random people's misspelled Tweets for an hour and a half.

Isn't that basically what she does in I Heart Huckabees?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
A couple corrections for the GI JOE 2 review, the country they secure the nukes from is Pakistan, and the country they rescue a prisoner from is North Korea.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Maarak posted:

A couple corrections for the GI JOE 2 review, the country they secure the nukes from is Pakistan, and the country they rescue a prisoner from is North Korea.

This is very important to the plot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Professor Clumsy, Saoirse is an Irish name. Are you being prejudiced against the Irish again?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Professor Clumsy, Saoirse is an Irish name. Are you being prejudiced against the Irish again?

Again?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'm of Irish descent, and you've been prejudicing me for years.

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
Also I think they kidnap the White House Chief of Staff or something, instead of a Secret Service guy? It certainly doesn't matter!

Never have I seen a film that hates its source material so much! As well as various actors, didn't the first movie have super suits? I seem to recall super suits.

Frankly my biggest problem with the movie was that I saw it with my friend and they REALLY liked it, which is sad as anything.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

TheBigC posted:

Also I think they kidnap the White House Chief of Staff or something, instead of a Secret Service guy? It certainly doesn't matter!

Remembering this film's plot is like spinning plates.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Professor Clumsy posted:

This is very important to the plot.

Using real world geopolitics to establish the competency of the JOES contributes to the wildly uneven tone. I don't blame you for forgetting though, I've got a weird knack for those sort of details.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Putting GI Joe aside for the moment, I think the top line for this week was, "I get the distinct impression that screenwriter/director Andrew Niccol is just not taking Meyer's material very seriously."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like that the Movie of the Week got the title for a score of 1/50.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

January has really sunk its tendrils into movies coming out in February and March this year, hasn't it?

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
For what it's worth, the GI Joe review reminded me of the Cobra After-Action Reports from way back when.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Johnny Walker posted:

I like that the Movie of the Week got the title for a score of 1/50.

I laughed at this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
We should have stickers made like the "RT Certified Fresh" stickers they put on DVDs now.

• Locked thread