Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

rdbbb posted:

Wrong, it is Super Dave's friend Fuji.

Thanks for triggering long buried memories, drat.

I can name 5 but I'm a huge Japanese media nerd so that's not a big shock. hell, most of this thread can name more than 5 staff members of GCCX if that counts. Of course, we're not what you call "the average American" in this context either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

Wrong, it is Super Dave's friend Fuji.

Goddamn you, I thought I finally had that theme out of my mind, kazoos and all.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
drat I was sorta disappointed to learn that he was born in California b/c I wanted to say that Pat Morita was the most famous Japanese actor in America...

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

GidgetNomates posted:

drat I was sorta disappointed to learn that he was born in California b/c I wanted to say that Pat Morita was the most famous Japanese actor in America...

Yeah, I was going to say this. I don't know who any of these people are that the thread is mentioning.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Andorra posted:

Yeah, I was going to say this. I don't know who any of these people are that the thread is mentioning.

Suzuki and Nomo are baseball players, the rest are actors of various stripes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Can't say I'm American but I would wager that the most well-known Japanese person in all the western world would be be Yoko Ono.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Kanfy posted:

Can't say I'm American but I would wager that the most well-known Japanese person in all the western world would be be Yoko Ono.

Oh my god you're right

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What about the masters of culinary arts, Hiroyuki Sakai and Rokusaburo Michiba?!?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Azazell0 posted:

What about the masters of culinary arts, Hiroyuki Sakai and Rokusaburo Michiba?!?
Masaharu Morimoto is probably more well-known since he's on Iron Chef America and has a bunch of restaurants in the States

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

Suzuki and Nomo are baseball players, the rest are actors of various stripes.

Is it wrong that I only know of Nomo because he was referenced in a Japanese Pokemon episode once?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Kanfy posted:

(OBLIGATORY GODZILLA MENTION.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

(OBLIGATORY GODZILLA MENTION.)

Hey man, can we keep the jokes about Yoko Ono's music out of here? No need to get nasty, just because it sounds like she's screeching wildly while John Lennon plays on in the background.

secretagentmoof
May 28, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

In our little world Arino is king but in the vast sea of Japanese comedy he's nothing more than a medium-sized tuna at best.

I think that's understating things a tad; Yoiko has plenty of shows on TV, and according to the Japanese wikipedia on such their yearly 0-yen survival specials typically get a 10%-20% share during primetime. He's certainly not a Downtown blue whale, though - not that Downtown's ratings have been stellar as of late.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

I just want to point out something interesting. I worked for a company that was contracted out to Chrysler. We did work on the networks at Chrysler dealerships and their diagnostic systems for the computer parts inside their cars.

Since I speak Japanese (I have a JLPT N2 cert, but didn't at the time), I was the only one who could handle their Japanese market.

The head technician for Chrysler Japan is named Hiroyuki Sakai. Not the same guy, obviously. I never bothered checking into the kanji to see if they were different or not. But as an Iron Chef fan I totally had to do a double take when I got an email from him for the first time. "Wait. Not THE Hiroyuki Sakai, right?" XD

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I wonder if Downtown would get some callouts here in USA. I mean, it seems like as many people get into the batsu games as people that watch GCCX. And a good bit of overlap between the two audiences.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ineffiable posted:

I wonder if Downtown would get some callouts here in USA. I mean, it seems like as many people get into the batsu games as people that watch GCCX. And a good bit of overlap between the two audiences.

Most likely, yes.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 1, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Ineffiable posted:

I highly doubt it. GCCX has spread to America (through means of translated episodes and DVDs) way more. Also I guess for most Americans it'd just be "another Jackass". Plus 6 hour long episodes, that's a lot of commitment compared to GCCX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can't really say GCCX has "made it" in America until they announce Guy Fieri's Retro Game Master USA!!!!! or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Grawl posted:

I highly doubt it. GCCX has spread to America (through means of translated episodes and DVDs) way more. Also I guess for most Americans it'd just be "another Jackass". Plus 6 hour long episodes, that's a lot of commitment compared to GCCX.

That's understandable. GCCX has probably blown up like crazy in the last 2 years (especially due to the AWESOME efforts of the SA-GCCX team) And they managed to get an English DVD released. Which Downtown hasn't achieved as far as I know.

But Downtown has some of their videos floating around the internet for years, and don't forget it's not about just the batsu games, some of their other stuff like Absolutely Tasty can have quite some appeal. They have a ton of translated content. (http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/p/complete-download-list-page.html)

But I'm kind of discussing representation of Japanese tv people. Can't count actors if they show up in American movies while being Japanese born. Downtown stands a good chance of getting a callout even if it's behind in GCCX in popularity. More than any other Japanese tv personality(ies).

Except Hard Gay. I forgot about Hard Gay.

edit: Okay to be fair, I don't think anyone would call out Hard Gay... That would be too dangerous.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 1, 2013

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can't really say GCCX has "made it" in America until they announce Guy Fieri's Retro Game Master USA!!!!! or something.

That reminds me, what episode had the okonomiyaki restaurant that had video game themed dishes?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

edit: Okay to be fair, I don't think anyone would call out Hard Gay... That would be too dangerous.

Are you kidding? If I showed up in a clip on Japanese TV with Hard Gay grinding his crotch on me, I would feel like I had finally accomplished something worthwhile in my life.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ineffiable posted:

That's understandable. GCCX has probably blown up like crazy in the last 2 years (especially due to the AWESOME efforts of the SA-GCCX team) And they managed to get an English DVD released. Which Downtown hasn't achieved as far as I know.

But Downtown has some of their videos floating around the internet for years, and don't forget it's not about just the batsu games, some of their other stuff like Absolutely Tasty can have quite some appeal. They have a ton of translated content. (http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/p/complete-download-list-page.html)

More people have probably seen the chinko machine clip and Jimmy Onishi counting to 100 than I think most realize. Those are 2 insanely popular clips and the chinko machine in particular is basically a top 5 "funny poo poo Japanese people do" clip you might find on some website's list.

And the reason Downtown's never seen non-Japanese media releases is because they don't care about it. They've repeatedly stated they make comedy for Japanese people and have zero interest in how popular the show is amongst foreigners and don't care about releasing subbed DVDs for gaijin.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
But what about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qSs7cGNXUU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Let's not forget the Chief Arino persona is highly visible and unmistakably him. If I ever spotted a Japanese celebrity I would probably think "wow, they look a lot like ___" but be too shy to say anything in case it's not actually them. Chief Arino though, not only does he stand out on the streets thanks to that uniform (especially in a foreign country), you'll know right away he's the real thing. If Ken Watanabe wore the same outfit in all his movies he'd get called out on the streets more often.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If that happened, I'm sure most of the English GCCX fanbase would forgive Kotak and/or whichever company did those translations that whole mess before zari made everything all good with her DVD translations.

Also, thanks for making me imagine the possible smell after Fieri mimics Arino's "victory pose" where he sticks one arm up in the air. :barf:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Obeast posted:

Also, thanks for making me imagine the possible smell after Fieri mimics Arino's "victory pose" where he sticks one arm up in the air. :barf:

Wait, we need some Oriental flair.

There, that'll do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fooley posted:

That reminds me, what episode had the okonomiyaki restaurant that had video game themed dishes?

That was Fuji in episode 75.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Silly Nakayama, what are you doing playing Catch Copy by yourself?

Nakayama?

NAKAYAMAAAAA!

This doppelganger, driven insane by being kicked off production of the show, has apparently stolen Nakayama's identity and hidden the real Nakayama in a well. He gave us this new Catch Copy segment, and promised Nakayama's release unharmed if we subtitled it.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 99.36 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is magnificent.

And it fooled me initially.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
This video is... superb.

On the subject of this segment, I've always wondered why the name was left using the Japanese term "Catch Copy" when the parallel phrase in English matches up so perfectly to an identical pun: "To Tag a Tagline".

xamphear fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Okay that was a really good To Catch a Catch Copy.

And What a great inside joke/aprils fools day joke

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Absolutely brilliant.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That was very enjoyable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Time for a bit of a side trip. During a Genki TV marathon broadcast Arino appeared for an extended interview segment where he talks all about his US fans. Are you ready to know what he says about you?

This bonus was brought to you by zari-gani who can translate for 34 hours straight. And now we've got proofreading by the indomitable Hirayuki.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 341.33 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

What is it about the decorators and set designers for these Japanese variety shows that makes them put all sorts of things everywhere and in clashing styles right next to each other? It's just a difference in taste, right?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqKjSrh0YM

Here you go, folks. :v:

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

univbee posted:

Silly Nakayama, what are you doing playing Catch Copy by yourself?

This doppelganger, driven insane by being kicked off production of the show, has apparently stolen Nakayama's identity and hidden the real Nakayama in a well. He gave us this new Catch Copy segment, and promised Nakayama's release unharmed if we subtitled it.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 99.36 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

This was absolutely amazing. I have to commend you guys for this, since this is basically the same thing you guys were talking about in the thread a while back. All of the ads and all of the right reactions.

However, small complaint. I appreciate that you guys translated the stuff into Japanese, but it was easy to tell when you were taking scenes from different segments because the catch copy in the upper right corner always changed. You should've put the translations there too so it would be harder to tell.

And for some reason, zari-gani's (I assume it was her voice) voice sounded really close on the first two, but the audio quality cracked up a bit on the third one (too close to the mic, or something?, I dunno).

Otherwise, amazing. I died laughing.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Are those even real games? "U.S. Presidential Election"? "President's Day"?

Whether they are or not, this is pretty much the best April 1st thing ever.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Are those even real games? "U.S. Presidential Election"? "President's Day"?

Whether they are or not, this is pretty much the best April 1st thing ever.

Well there is this game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_Dait%C5%8Dry%C5%8D_Senkyo

Great video! It's a good show of how dumb video game marketing is regardless of culture.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Watching that was scary, but also arousing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That video was nothing short of amazing. :)

Also, after that segment aired, Nakayama and Toujima are now required by law to never come within 100 feet of a dinosaur school or museum with dinosaur fossils. :v: