Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

QPZIL posted:

Noted on both accounts! Canon has been calling me with its sweet siren song, but my photographer ex-gf blinded me to the ways of Nikon and I never looked back :(

Nikon vs Canon vs Snype? You won't be able to see much difference in IQ, DR or ISO, or AF. Find them, hold them, buy the one that feels the best and whose control setup works for you. The current generation of DSLRs are all fantastic. Or, buy one that your rich friend has so you can borrow gear.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mightaswell posted:

For the sigma's, I'm referring to the new 35mm, 50 and 85 1.4's. which personally I would choose over the first party counterparts.

Also maybe the AF is a bit of a generalization but the 7d beats anything Nikon has in crop, and the 5d3 beats anything short of a d4. I guess a d700 has better AF than a 5d2 so, eh. Rock Paper Scissors.

And of course, Canon has Nikon beat in terms of flip out, fully-actuated screens!

<- Bought a 60D and haven't had a use for that feature yet. drat no video rules at concerts.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

fivre posted:

And of course, Canon has Nikon beat in terms of flip out, fully-actuated screens!

<- Bought a 60D and haven't had a use for that feature yet. drat no video rules at concerts.

Use it to take pictures of yourself!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Use it to take pictures of yourself!

That's the only thing I've used mine for so far.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I've used mine for low-to-the-ground shots when I don't feel like going entirely prone position. While the uses I've found for it are limited, if it wasn't there I would definitely have missed it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I love the tilt and swivel screens on my E-5 and G12. They aren't needed often but drat they're a huge help when you do.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

torgeaux posted:

vs Snype

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Look how dumb you are.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Look how dumb you are.

You're the one that just called gear chat a "serious thread".

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SoundMonkey posted:

Look how dumb you are.

Well, in my defense, I was posting something we've all said over and over.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Monitors count as gear, right? Because I finally upgraded to a 27" monitor after using a 20" for the last 8 years... it... is... huge.

It's the Dell U2713HM on the left. (Please overlook my messy desk) It's 2560x1440 res and has above-average color accuracy. It's not Dell's flagship Ultrasharp model, but is significantly cheaper than some of their other models that offer extended-gamut color.

Cons: It does have a bit of a light leak in the bottom left corner but it's really only visible over completely black areas (like in the black bars when watching a movie). The anti-glare coating also casts a very faint diagonal line pattern over solid-color areas, but is only visible at certain angles / on certain colors.

I knew about the pattern and the possibility of having light leaks before buying it, but it was recently $475 (before tax) and no other monitor of this size, resolution and quality comes close to that price. No dead or stuck pixels, which was my main concern.

Lightroom editing is going to be amazing... the photo workspace (area minus toolbars/panels) is larger than my entire old monitor, and significantly higher resolution.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gambl0r posted:

Monitors count as gear, right? Because I finally upgraded to a 27" monitor after using a 20" for the last 8 years... it... is... huge.

It's the Dell U2713HM on the left. (Please overlook my messy desk) It's 2560x1440 res and has above-average color accuracy. It's not Dell's flagship Ultrasharp model, but is significantly cheaper than some of their other models that offer extended-gamut color.

Cons: It does have a bit of a light leak in the bottom left corner but it's really only visible over completely black areas (like in the black bars when watching a movie). The anti-glare coating also casts a very faint diagonal line pattern over solid-color areas, but is only visible at certain angles / on certain colors.

I knew about the pattern and the possibility of having light leaks before buying it, but it was recently $475 (before tax) and no other monitor of this size, resolution and quality comes close to that price. No dead or stuck pixels, which was my main concern.

Lightroom editing is going to be amazing... the photo workspace (area minus toolbars/panels) is larger than my entire old monitor, and significantly higher resolution.

Sup new 2713 buddy? :v::hf::3:

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

pseudonordic posted:

Sup new 2713 buddy? :v::hf::3:

Yeah! How do you like yours? I need to borrow a calibrator from work, but even right out of the box, I'm surprised with how good it looks.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gambl0r posted:

Woah, Deja Vu. I said something similar to your post a few months ago in this thread. I even got a 27" monitor. Cheapo 27" AOC monitor, but the colors are endlessly better than my laptop. The resolution also helps a ton. Only 1080p but its miles better than 1200x800.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 2, 2013

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Is there any consensus on zoom macro lenses? I'm shooting videos in a very small kitchen and I would like the ability to change focal lengths on the fly while still retaining a larger reproduction ratio and short minimum focus distance.

Should I just get a good zoom and swap out for my prime macros as needed or is there a magical inbetweener lens that I should be looking at?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bobx66 posted:

Is there any consensus on zoom macro lenses? I'm shooting videos in a very small kitchen and I would like the ability to change focal lengths on the fly while still retaining a larger reproduction ratio and short minimum focus distance.

Should I just get a good zoom and swap out for my prime macros as needed or is there a magical inbetweener lens that I should be looking at?

Nikon did in fact produce the only macro zoom lens ever to exist, to my knowledge.

For a loving lot of dollars.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

You might be a rare candidate for the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM. The IS will suit you well for video purposes, and as a macro lens it's surprisingly good. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you can smoothly move through the focal lengths if you start in the macro range. There's a lock switch that can keep you there, but I'm not sure if it automatically engages any time you shoot macro and needs releasing whenever you want to leave it.

Maybe you can rent one first?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Gambl0r posted:

Dang that 2005FPW looks like a little baby!

I recently upgraded from a 2005FPW as well but I upgraded to a U2412M instead of the U2713HM. Not quite as dope but still awesome, especially considering it was on sale for only $249!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

Nikon did in fact produce the only macro zoom lens ever to exist, to my knowledge.

For a loving lot of dollars.

Just to clarify, that's the only "true macro" 1:1 lens? Lots of zooms will go to 1:2 or 1:2.5, without spending way too much or sacrificing too much image quality.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Minolta made a zoom macro, though it was a bit of an odd duck - the 3x-1x macro. They're very rare, with only a few showing up on eBay or other sites each year.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

Just to clarify, that's the only "true macro" 1:1 lens? Lots of zooms will go to 1:2 or 1:2.5, without spending way too much or sacrificing too much image quality.

The Nikon only goes to 1:1.33 actually. It's the only zoom I've heard of to get that close to 1:1, and isn't super rare, but then I don't know of any zooms that go 1:2 either. Nikon's 18-55 VR kit lens does 1:2.7 though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have several zooms than can do 1:1. :smuggo:

reversed or with extension tubes/diopters.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
When i need zoom on my micro lenses, i move the camera closer.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-...181107809526%26

One of these bad boys was the first thing to come to mind- but I'm not sure what level of magnification it gets with the macro switch. I do know that it's an amazing lens, and has been on my buy list forever.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Musket posted:

When i need zoom on my micro lenses, i move the camera closer.

Easier said than done with a tripod in a kitchen. Especially overhead shots. Being able to change my frame without moving is just more efficient. Granted I should probably be using a different rig given my limitations.

Thank you everyone for your input, I'm going to take a look at both of those lenses. Speaking of legacy lenses, what are some of the other cult classics? I just picked up a 90mm Vivitar Macro and it is an incredible value, I would love to get more familiar with older lenses.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-...181107809526%26

One of these bad boys was the first thing to come to mind- but I'm not sure what level of magnification it gets with the macro switch. I do know that it's an amazing lens, and has been on my buy list forever.

1:2.5 @ 35mm and MFD (iirc).

It is a superb lens. I wish it had an AF motor.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bobx66 posted:

Thank you everyone for your input, I'm going to take a look at both of those lenses. Speaking of legacy lenses, what are some of the other cult classics? I just picked up a 90mm Vivitar Macro and it is an incredible value, I would love to get more familiar with older lenses.
As you've already encountered, the Vivitar Series 1 line from before they fell off the quality cliff (i.e. late-1980's) is generally excellent. Shooting a 5DII as you are means you'll need to figure out compatible mounts, but I guess you've already solved that problem for your 90mm. I've got a Viv S1 105mm f/2.5 Macro (Pentax K-mount) that goes to 1:1 that I adore, it cost about $400. The best (by reputation) of the 70-210mm zooms is the Version 3; I've got a Version 4 and it's pretty disappointing (poor sharpness and unpleasant bokeh).

Minolta's 70-210mm f/4 zoom went through an update with the advent of AF, becoming the much-loved "beercan" while retaining the optical formula. I've got a knockoff (Magnicon was a weird little brand name) in Minolta-MD that I love. If you can use Minolta manual-focus (i.e. MD, MC, or SR-mount - the bayonets are all the same, the differences have to do with the Program mode of the various mid-80's Minolta bodies), there are a few gems in that lineup, as well as the third-party stuff that was made for Minolta such as Vivitar.

Canon FD glass can be modified to fit EF - the process is rather expensive, but for some of the really stellar lenses of that era it might be worth it. The first L-glass came out in FD mount.

Konica AR mount is a bit of an odd duck. In North America Konica was never apparently very popular so it can be hard to find, but in Europe it was more common. Their Hexanon and Hexar lens lines are well-regarded, though figuring out adaptors is a bit difficult. This keeps the lenses cheap, since few people shooting digital are able to fully use them.

Then there are the Soviets. Former Soviet Union glass is mostly pretty terrible, but it's often cheap and because the designs were stolen from Zeiss and other German manufacturers (rocket scientists weren't the only technical people scooped up by the Red Army) there are some good lenses out there, particularly for narrow and specific uses.

My advice: Shoot an entire video (with a Cold War theme) using a Photosniper. What's your budget? About a year ago I watched a few eBay auctions for Photosnipers end at around $300 + about $60 to ship from Ukraine/Russia/Belorus/Kazahkstan (if you're willing to gamble on such sellers).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RE: battery chargers: Anything to avoid with buying a couple of those cheap $5-10 ones from Amazon? My OM-D charger miiiiiight be back in the Caribbean and I really don't feel like contacting the place and paying what will probably be $50+ to ship it home.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
On the subject of chargers, anything wrong with leaving my spare battery on the charger (unplugged)?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
You may lose a bit of charge over time, but it's not going to kill the capacity of the battery (which will happen if you leave it in a plugged-in charger for very long periods of time.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DJExile posted:

RE: battery chargers: Anything to avoid with buying a couple of those cheap $5-10 ones from Amazon? My OM-D charger miiiiiight be back in the Caribbean and I really don't feel like contacting the place and paying what will probably be $50+ to ship it home.

I understood that all the clever stuff is built in the battery, so it down't matter too much if you have a cheapy charger.

I've also read that crappy power supplies generate crappy power - which may be a Bad Thing, but I'd guess that it probably doesn't have a significant negative effect on your battery.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

spog posted:

I understood that all the clever stuff is built in the battery, so it down't matter too much if you have a cheapy charger.

I've also read that crappy power supplies generate crappy power - which may be a Bad Thing, but I'd guess that it probably doesn't have a significant negative effect on your battery.

Might, possibly, matter for Lipo, almost certainly not for Lion.

As to leaving a battery on top of the charger physically, the charger may get slightly warm even if not in use, but nowhere near getting out of the realm of safe battery storage environment. Summertime it's probably wise to make sure your batteries aren't in direct sunlight, wherever you leave them. You'll lose some charge over time, but no more than it would lose anywhere different.

e: btw, regarding the 'don't leave them in the charger', it probably isn't the case for 3rd party chargers, and I don't know about the 1st party olympus charger, but the nikon chargers will stop charging and not restart (ie, you can leave a bettery in the charger for 6 months and it'll still be stuck with the LED green or whatever indicates full charge, even though the battery has lost 6mo worth of nominal discharge) if a battery is left in the charger.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 3, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Any recommendations for a soft camera wrap that fits a Canon 7D with 17-55 Ef-s lens?

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

Need a lens hood for my Tamron 17-50, should I buy the official one or third party?

Iced fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 4, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Iced posted:

Need a lens hood for my Tamron 17-50, should I buy the official one or third party?

If you get a third party hood, get a clone of the official Tamron hood, rather than a universal hood that mounts on the filter threads. The convenience of bayonet and reversed mounting are worth the premium, not the mention shading the lens perfectly, rather than shading the lens too little or vignetting.

You can get knock‐off RHAF09/DA09 clones for :10bux: on eBay. It’s your call on whether or not the extra $7 for Tamron’s is worth it.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Platystemon posted:

If you get a third party hood, get a clone of the official Tamron hood, rather than a universal hood that mounts on the filter threads. The convenience of bayonet and reversed mounting are worth the premium, not the mention shading the lens perfectly, rather than shading the lens too little or vignetting.

You can get knock‐off RHAF09/DA09 clones for :10bux: on eBay. It’s your call on whether or not the extra $7 for Tamron’s is worth it.

Matters more than $7 when you go to sell it. I say go for the original.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Macro tube question - how useful are they in practice, and does image quality take a hit? Let's say I replaced my Minolta 100mm f/2.8 macro with a Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 + a macro extension tube. Other than a loss of autofocus, what's the risk - degraded image quality?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bob Socko posted:

Macro tube question - how useful are they in practice, and does image quality take a hit? Let's say I replaced my Minolta 100mm f/2.8 macro with a Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 + a macro extension tube. Other than a loss of autofocus, what's the risk - degraded image quality?

Extension tubes don’t lower image quality, but they do lower effective aperture—which can lower image quality via diffraction if you still stop down to the same listed aperture.

That said, macro lenses are highly corrected for close‐up operation. There’s no guarantee than a normal lens will perform well when focused close. Some lenses perform better with extension tubes than others.

There’s also a usability downside. Macro lenses have a wide focus range, from infinity to 1:1. If you put tubes on a normal lens, it may focus to 1:1, but you won’t have much flexibility in magnification unless you swap tubes on and off.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 5, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Gotta buy the name brand tubes if you want the best picture quality. Canon air is better than Kenko air.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

!420 reverse mount everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Guess I'll just stick with my dedicated macro lens. Thanks!