Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013

Naky posted:

Red exclamation marks are missing meshes, not textures. Missing textures would result in either a white/purple looking model or a model that "sucks in" all the surrounding textures.

Oh, okay. I did not realize that. So, I need to figure out what I did to screw up my meshes in the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also, the optimiser should have backed them up automatically, I believe that's the default setting. Look for an archive named according to date and time in the folder you ran it from.

Edit: How many mods are you running? That could also be the issue.

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Also, the optimiser should have backed them up automatically, I believe that's the default setting. Look for an archive named according to date and time in the folder you ran it from.

Edit: How many mods are you running? That could also be the issue.

After a bit of testing, I found that if I turn off both Hardcore Well Rested fix (stops owned beds from healing your health and limbs) AND Quick Hacking (reduces possible answers for the hacking minigame to one), my meshes load in properly. Any idea why either of these mods would bork up my meshes? I'm at a loss here.

I do have an extensive load order. Here is my current active list.
http://pastebin.com/EcBBzVSn

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sunny Dove posted:

After a bit of testing, I found that if I turn off both Hardcore Well Rested fix (stops owned beds from healing your health and limbs) AND Quick Hacking (reduces possible answers for the hacking minigame to one), my meshes load in properly. Any idea why either of these mods would bork up my meshes? I'm at a loss here.

I do have an extensive load order. Here is my current active list.
http://pastebin.com/EcBBzVSn

Those mods only deal with scripts and game settings, as far as I can tell, there's no reason they should affect meshes. Most likely you have too many mods, disabling those probably just brings you below the ESP limit, which can be anywhere from 100 to 200+. Try combining some mods with FNVEdit, starting with the simplest ones that don't require masters other than Obsidian's.

Random missing meshes and textures, and sometimes wonky location markers, are the surest sign of having too many mods. Gamebryo is a piece of poo poo.

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Those mods only deal with scripts and game settings, as far as I can tell, there's no reason they should affect meshes. Most likely you have too many mods, disabling those probably just brings you below the ESP limit, which can be anywhere from 100 to 200+. Try combining some mods with FNVEdit, starting with the simplest ones that don't require masters other than Obsidian's.

Random missing meshes and textures, and sometimes wonky location markers, are the surest sign of having too many mods. Gamebryo is a piece of poo poo.

Yeah, I know I've been needing to merge some of my mods into one .esp but I've never done it before and I'm lazy! Millenia and company are supposed to be coming out with a weapon pack that should drastically reduce my load order.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sunny Dove posted:

Yeah, I know I've been needing to merge some of my mods into one .esp but I've never done it before and I'm lazy! Millenia and company are supposed to be coming out with a weapon pack that should drastically reduce my load order.

IIRC you can pretty much copy/paste records into other ESPs and save. If two put you over the limit, just pick three little mods that change original FalloutNV.esm records, combine them and enjoy a working game.

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

IIRC you can pretty much copy/paste records into other ESPs and save. If two put you over the limit, just pick three little mods that change original FalloutNV.esm records, combine them and enjoy a working game.

I merged a few simple mods, removed one I wasn't really caring for, reactivated Quick Hacking & Well Rested Hardcore Fix. Everything loads fine so it seems you were correct. Apparently 160+ mods was beginning to stretch it, heh.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sunny Dove posted:

Apparently 160+ mods was beginning to stretch it, heh.

It's only dependent on number of ESMs/ESPs and the limit seems pretty arbitrary, it counts deactivated ones in the Data folder as well. I haven't been able to discern what controls it, it was higher on my old C2D on XP than my new i5 on Win7, for example.

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013
Has anyone used CAGE?
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42428

I'd like to give it a try. It's in the OP and has a reasonable number of endorsements but there's a lot of talk of bugs in the post section. Any opinions?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alright, it's looking like a lot of those "weapon spread" game settings don't actually do anything. A few seem to, like the crouch multiplier (.4) and the iron sights multiplier (.65), but there's no tangible change on the others, even when given absurd values. Does anybody know how I would go about making weapons less accurate + more reliant on relevant skill points? It's possible to modify each weapon's spread, individually, but that's sort of a cumbersome solution that doesn't really respond to skill points. :iiam:

Answering my own question since nobody seemed to know, but somebody might be interested in doing something similar: I've found this really useful summary of New Vegas' weapon wobble/spread calculations that made my modifications really easy. It would appear that, even though weapon skill technically factors into the accuracy of a weapon, you can already max out your potential accuracy by meeting the strength requirement, not having broken arms, crouching, and aiming. If you're doing all of those things, it doesn't matter if you have 5 skill points in a weapon or 100--you'll have the same accuracy in both instances.

It seems like I've recaptured a lot of the game's "RPG feel" by tweaking the settings (detailed in the previous link) so that stance, limb damage, SPECIAL points, and weapon skill all played a more dramatic role in accuracy. Previously, in this particular area, my character's build was largely irrelevant--5-Guns Frail Egghead, 100-Guns Brawny Cowboy, etc--because I could just play the game like an ordinary FPS and drill targets from ranges an egghead should have never been able to touch. I realize a lot of people won't like bringing back some of that goofy spread that was present in Fallout 3, and they'll be better off playing the game with the choices Obsidian made, but it honestly feels like my character's actions are actually constrained by their SPECIAL/Skill values now. When I put a lot of points into a weapon skill, they actually become better at hitting things, both in and out of VATS.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm looking for a mod I had installed several months and one PC ago. It was a Radio New Vegas extender that was made up of the songs from which most of the missions took their names. So it had GI Blues, Aba Daba Honeymoon, stuff like that. I can't find it on the Nexus and I don't remember the name. Does anyone else know the mod I mean?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm looking for a mod I had installed several months and one PC ago. It was a Radio New Vegas extender that was made up of the songs from which most of the missions took their names. So it had GI Blues, Aba Daba Honeymoon, stuff like that. I can't find it on the Nexus and I don't remember the name. Does anyone else know the mod I mean?

I did but then I spent five minutes staring at your avatar and forgot myself...

I have a feeling it was one of those mods that was linked through the thread but not put into the OP now that you mention it, assuming you've already looked through the listed radio stations in the OP and not found it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

That's the Secret Stash radio mod. That was banned from the nexus and all download links that I could find are dead. So hopefully someone reading this still has that mod and can reupload it for you.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think I might have it, but I can't check until next week. Hopefully you'll find it sooner.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Raygereio posted:

That's the Secret Stash radio mod. That was banned from the nexus and all download links that I could find are dead. So hopefully someone reading this still has that mod and can reupload it for you.

Huh, why did it get banned?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

Huh, why did it get banned?
No clue: it was "under review" for a long time and eventually was deleted without any reason given. It has probably something do with the copyright of the songs used.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, that was the "Secret Stash" mod. If I remember correctly, I thought it was kicked off of the Nexus because the Nexus is full of idiots and they don't understand copyright laws.

EDIT: I've been searching for it and I didn't realize how old the mod was. Here's a (dead) link for the mod that was from late 2011, and it isn't even the original link or file--it's a re-host pulled off of an install. I haven't found the original author, though.

Tewratomeh posted:

Alright then, here we go: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TNFQ5MLT

The original Secret Stash README file is in the zip, but basically just extract everything to your "fallout new vegas/Data" folder and you should be good.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 30, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Did someone ask for ~~*the secret stash*~~?!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1zu52zrhz2ij/n/The_Secret_Stash.7z.001
http://www.filefactory.com/file/2nic6imi1wsl/n/The_Secret_Stash.7z.002

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I'll put this in da gecko hosting too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I can't seem to get the NMC large textures to work. I've done the archive invalidation thing and it still just shows default textures. I was overwriting NMC medium textures. Which also didn't seem to work anymore despite working last time I played.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for that, soon be time for a reinstall. Just incidentally, since I can't find the general thread, how the hell do you deal with the ghost people in Dead Money? Last time I played it I ended up running out of ammo and having to sprint through the levels.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Thanks for that, soon be time for a reinstall. Just incidentally, since I can't find the general thread, how the hell do you deal with the ghost people in Dead Money? Last time I played it I ended up running out of ammo and having to sprint through the levels.
Dead Money is awful because of them, but you can take Dog along with you and he'll eat them, or you can dismember them after they die using melee attacks. They won't come back if they're missing a limb.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr Snofeld posted:

Knock them down and chop a limb off. Or cripple a limb in VATS.

If you don't want to deal with that poo poo just talk to Dog after he eats a ghost person. The conversation will give you a perk that will kill them permanently.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Somebody did a Lee Enfield with a stripper clip animation at last.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

He's cheating. Its the same method we always had to use before. Even he admitted to me that it will only work on a couple guns else clipping problems, which is why we never bothered. Still I'll probably use them anyway despite clipping issues for an M1903 that trent1541 is doing up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

A melee build can go wild with the bear traps or cosmic knives. If you're a guns build I'd recommend you rely heavily on sneak attack starting out. As mentioned: be sure to get the Ghost Hunter perk from dialogue with Dog for auto-ghost-dismemberment.
For pure energy weapons builds it's high to start investing in a back up weapon skill.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
How is it so hard for people to deal with Ghost people. Do you guys build characters that hate critical hits or something? Do you not aim for limbs? Do you not get holotapes for bullets?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

Just rush in and punch the fuckers with the Bear Fist. :getin:
Or do what I did, which was sneaking around, lining up headshots with the Police Pistol, and rushing in after that to punch off one of their limbs.
Punching dudes in general's a surprisingly good strategy in New Vegas, letting you mess a lot of 'em up in a short amount of time. I actually abandoned my unarmed-centric playthrough because the game became too easy and boring :v:

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 31, 2013

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Okay, your friendly neighbourhood geckos have hosted another mod for you fine folks. You can find your Secret Stash in our secret stash.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Naky posted:

Okay, your friendly neighbourhood geckos have hosted another mod for you fine folks. You can find your Secret Stash in our secret stash.

Good stuff. I'll update the OP with this.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I did a complete reinstall of NV. I redownloaded NMC large textures. I took the rars to the NV directory, extracted and the texture folders and such are in the right place. I run FOMM and turn off and back on Archive Invalidation. Still no new textures when I Load up NV. The game looks like poo poo still. I have no idea why I'm having problems. I've been modding Bethesda games since Morrowind.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Check your in game settings. If they don't have textures set to ultra or whatever new textures won't be used. Did you do the patch bit as well?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

M.Ciaster posted:

Just rush in and punch the fuckers with the Bear Fist. :getin:
Or do what I did, which was sneaking around, lining up headshots with the Police Pistol, and rushing in after that to punch off one of their limbs.
Punching dudes in general's a surprisingly good strategy in New Vegas, letting you mess a lot of 'em up in a short amount of time. I actually abandoned my unarmed-centric playthrough because the game became too easy and boring :v:

Okay, doing a pugilist character now. :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yes, it's on Ultra and the patch is installed. I tried installing them both as FOMods and it says they installed correctly but still no new textures. NVSE is installed correctly as far as I can tell, and I'm using the 4gb exe. I haven't downloaded any other mods with textures yet either.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Okay, doing a pugilist character now. :v:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dr Snofeld posted:

If you're using guns break down all your ammo and make hollow point bullets. Ghost people have no DT.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

grack posted:

If you're using guns break down all your ammo and make hollow point bullets. Ghost people have no DT.

First you will need a mod that allows you to manufacture hollow point bullets (though I guess you can make 9mm JHP with hand loader.) Not a problem in the modding thread of course. :v:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

StandardVC10 posted:

First you will need a mod that allows you to manufacture hollow point bullets (though I guess you can make 9mm JHP with hand loader.) Not a problem in the modding thread of course. :v:

Oh, well, yeah. Guess I kind of assumed that one because a mod that allowed you to make all of the ammo types was about the first things I installed.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49837

Gyrojet for you duders to mess around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Arenovalis posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49837

Gyrojet for you duders to mess around with.

Nice work! That'll teach me not to lazily sit on projects for months. :argh: