Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like all season of Home Movies alot and never felt the show really dipped all that much. It wasn't a perfect show and there were weak episodes, but that was true throughout. Looking through the season 4 episodes there's a bunch I really, really like and I feel it overall is essential to the full narrative that's going on the background of the series.

I also think I do prefer first gen adult swim if only for Harvey Birdman and Aqua Teen at it's peak (which I find to be the best version of that type of dadaist Adult Swim show). Frisky Dingo was incredible though and is at least in my top five of best Adult Swim shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

They have The Boondocks on netflix. How have I not seen this show before? They have a whole episode dedicated to the itis! Also Charlie Murphy AND Sammy Jackson as white guys who want to be black? :allears: The best show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ah The Boondocks, now there's a show that got dramatically worse after the first season. The first season is amazing (barring two episodes) and after that it just goes down hill fast. Aaron McGruder just seemed to realize that it was really hard to be topical in animation so he focused most of his energy just making fun of rap culture, how crazy black people are and how crazy women are. There's a few good episodes mixed in there but even those don't come close to reaching anything in the first season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

Ah The Boondocks, now there's a show that got dramatically worse after the first season. The first season is amazing (barring two episodes) and after that it just goes down hill fast. Aaron McGruder just seemed to realize that it was really hard to be topical in animation so he focused most of his energy just making fun of rap culture, how crazy black people are and how crazy women are. There's a few good episodes mixed in there but even those don't come close to reaching anything in the first season.

This sounds similar to what happened with the comic.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

Ah The Boondocks, now there's a show that got dramatically worse after the first season. The first season is amazing (barring two episodes) and after that it just goes down hill fast. Aaron McGruder just seemed to realize that ti was really hard to be topical in animation so he focused most of his energy just making fun of rap culture, how crazy black people are and how crazy women are.

Honestly it seems like you have a fuzzy memory of the whole entire two other seasons of the Boondocks.

There was a whole episode dedicated to the idea of the perfect woman for Grandpa and she was perfect, and in the end it's revealed that he would get too attached to her and she would not want to be with him. Even in the commentary for the episode Aaron talks about how fans kept complaining about how the show portrayed all women as crazy, so he literally dedicated an entire episode to it just to show that if they did find a sane, great woman for Grandpa to have, he would be super clingy. And sure there was more making fun of hip hop culture, but not a lot. Most of that had to do with Thugnificent, but not really any other episode at all. Sure there was a lot of commentary on what people perceive as black culture and such, eg. the banned BET episodes and Tyler Perry episode, but not much of it. Plus there were tons of other meaningful episodes like Return of the King, which won a Peabody award (and rightfully so might I add), and the explanation to Uncle Ruckus' back story, which is depressing as all hell. They even dedicated an episode making fun of racist country music. If anything, they broadened their horizons more and tackled even more topics. You seem to have a very fuzzy memory of The Boondocks.

I, for one, actually liked the later episodes, the animation is better, there's a lot more meaning into the episodes, the fight scenes are stylish as hell, and you see characters mature.

GentlemanBrofro fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 1, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
At least up until Season 2, Boondocks is hilarious. Season 2 has Homies Over Hoes, which might be my favorite gag from that show period.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Return of the King, which won a Peabody award (and rightfully so might I add)

Oh wow I totally forgot about that episode and agree, it was absolutely fantastic. My general thought is that Boondocks got better with later seasons. I loved the episode where they kidnapped Bill Cosby too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Return of the King is first season and it's also an episode where McGruder puts his problems with Black Culture into MLK's mouth and has him say friend of the family. I don't really see how that episode disproves anything I really said. It's like the ultimate "McGrudder complains about how crazy black people are" episode (well either that or the one where Katrina victims are shown to be annoying moochers).

I might be generalizing a bit but alot of your arguments aren't really helping. The fact that he made one episode where a woman isn't shown as being completely crazy doesn't really disprove my point. If anythign it shows that it really was a problem. Even that episode does have this weird thing where the Grandpa is only really willing to date women 30-40 years younger than him and is repulsed by women his own age. I'm sure I'm generalizing because the only episodes I remember are the ones that annoyed me or the ones I really liked. The rest were just not particularly funny or interesting so I guess they kind of bleed into nothingness in my mind.

I really didn't like Homies Over Hoes one either (if it's the one I'm thinking of) because it was really a trying to have it's cake and eat it too type of episode where it was trying to have a discussion about homophobia in the rap community while at the same time making a crap load of lazy gay, "it's funny because he's acting gay" jokes.

In general I just stopped enjoying the show after the first season. I wasn't trying to because I really liked the first season but for me it just stopped being all that good. I could probably be making this argument better if the show was fresher in my mind but I really don't have any particular urge to rewatch it.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Just stumbled upon three more CN shows (I have never heard of them before) :

Robotomy
Problem Solverz
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome

The art work on the cover makes me think it may be a "kid's" show like Adventure Time or Regular Show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just as a note for anyone who wants to watch it, the early episodes of Justice League are god awful. Paul Dini had left to work on other projects and while Bruce Timm could handle the look of the show just fine he was clueless about the writing. Dini came back later on and season two is a huge improvement. If you want a good episode to start with you can just right to season two's "A Better World".

I'm trying to sit through these early episodes again and I'm saying to myself, "Why don't I just jump ahead to that one where the Joker has turned Las Vegas into his own reality show?"

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

Return of the King is first season and it's also an episode where McGruder puts his problems with Black Culture into MLK's mouth and has him say friend of the family. I don't really see how that episode disproves anything I really said. It's like the ultimate "McGrudder complains about how crazy black people are" episode (well either that or the one where Katrina victims are shown to be annoying moochers).

I might be generalizing a bit but alot of your arguments aren't really helping. The fact that he made one episode where a woman isn't shown as being completely crazy doesn't really disprove my point. If anythign it shows that it really was a problem. Even that episode does have this weird thing where the Grandpa is only really willing to date women 30-40 years younger than him and is repulsed by women his own age. I'm sure I'm generalizing because the only episodes I remember are the ones that annoyed me or the ones I really liked. The rest were just not particularly funny or interesting so I guess they kind of bleed into nothingness in my mind.

I really didn't like Homies Over Hoes one either (if it's the one I'm thinking of) because it was really a trying to have it's cake and eat it too type of episode where it was trying to have a discussion about homophobia in the rap community while at the same time making a crap load of lazy gay, "it's funny because he's acting gay" jokes.

In general I just stopped enjoying the show after the first season. I wasn't trying to because I really liked the first season but for me it just stopped being all that good. I could probably be making this argument better if the show was fresher in my mind but I really don't have any particular urge to rewatch it.

Well I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything, you're entitled to your opinion, and you are right, the Return of the King episode was in the first season. I just saw that there was a bit of inconsistency in your opinion, and I assumed you just had a fuzzy memory. The idea of Grandpa being kind of somewhat misogynistic is just rooted in how he wants to be young again and be a "playa" but he's just an old man who needs to move on, which happened to be the topic of another episode.

It might just be that you dislike the characters or how Aaron approaches topics with satire, which would make more sense. When I first watched it at a younger age, I hadn't really learned to appreciate the topics Aaron was approaching, but as I read more into black history and culture, it becomes very clear why he chooses to poke fun at them. As mentioned earlier, Grandpa likes to dream about becoming young again and getting bitches, which is prevalent through out not only hip hop but also black social norms. The Return of the King speech is not about "how crazy black people are", it's supposed to reflect how Aaron thinks what Martin Luther King Jr. would think about the modern black youth; how they're holding back black people with letting poo poo like BET represent them, or not caring about your education due to social norms, because that only aids stereotypes and holds back the growth of black people within the U.S. It's a statement on the general attitude of some groups of black people and why they need to stop holding everyone else back. A good way of putting it would be something like Chris Rock's stand up joke about the difference between a black person and a nigga. However, I should stop now because I'm getting ahead of myself and don't want to derail about something that should be discussed in the T.V. forum.

I personally love the Boondocks, and there are some flat episodes. I vaguely remember in season 3 they revisited Stinkmeaner, except they had already done a Stinkmeaner call back, so this time they had a gang of Stinkmeaner's retirement friends come and try to kill the Boondocks. That was pretty unnecessary, but it was still pretty funny and interesting, I'm also certain it was sort of a tribute to a kung-fu flick, but I don't know what'd it be. Still, I'd say that the later seasons are more of just growing on the material that they had, while also balancing it out with new ideas and stories. Definitely recommend either re-watching them, or watching the entirety of the Boondocks because it's worth it.

GentlemanBrofro fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 1, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why only the first season of Adventure time?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Am I the only one who thinks that extended Adult Swim chat is a bit outside the scope of this thread?

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Mescal posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that extended Adult Swim chat is a bit outside the scope of this thread?

Yeah that's why I said so in my post, don't want to derail the thread now.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Mescal posted:

Discussing what's worth watching on Netflix seems to be precisely the scope of this thread.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't they tend to do that a lot with TV shows? I seem to recall they have a habit of trickling out the seasons of a show over time.

I suppose I'm just annoyed that they stopped at season 8 of law and order for some insane reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh poo poo yes, how on Earth could I have forgotten Perfect Hair Forever, that was one of the best things they ever put on. I think I stopped following after the Famicon guys failed to get a show, and only really watched the live action stuff from then on.

It is really the best satire of anime you could ever do.

"You don't understand!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's only been one full season DVD release, all the other stuff on DVD is split up into a few episodes a piece. TV tends to go on Netflix the same time as their DVD releases so I imagine that's why.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mescal posted:

Not really, since the Adult Swim/CN stuff is a gigantic dump of full seasons of like 15-20 shows all at the same time. It's perfectly within the scope to discuss them, it's not like there's spoilers everywhere.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really, since the Adult Swim/CN stuff is a gigantic dump of full seasons of like 15-20 shows all at the same time. It's perfectly within the scope to discuss them, it's not like there's spoilers everywhere.

Okay, but we're going to be talking about these for another eight pages at least if somebody doesn't start a separate thread. With the possible exceptions of Venture Bros, Adventure Time, Foster's, and Children's Hospital, all of these shows are both made for children and low-quality. I'm nostalgic for six years ago, too, so I don't judge. Watch what you enjoy! But if they put Ranma 1/2 (and 19 similar series) on Netflix, we probably wouldn't be derailing about it.

Edit: I removed the most incendiary part of this post.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 1, 2013

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
You heard the man. He doesn't like it, so shut up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mescal posted:

Okay, but we're going to be talking about these for another eight pages at least if somebody doesn't start a separate thread. With the possible exceptions of Venture Bros, Adventure Time, Foster's, and Children's Hospital, all of these shows are both made for children and low-quality. I'm nostalgic for six years ago, too, so I don't judge. Watch what you enjoy! But if they put Ranma 1/2 (and 19 similar series) on Netflix, we probably wouldn't be derailing about it.

You can talk about more than one thing.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Erebus posted:

Discussing what's worth watching on Netflix seems to be precisely the scope of this thread.

Then why is no one discussing Disney's awesome contribution? Huh? Treasure Planet anyone?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just noticed Detropia was recently added. I'm going to watch it right now since, well, I kind of live in Detroit.

Trailer Here

Edit: 10 minutes in and this is pretty surreal, and...awesome.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 1, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In addition to Perfect Hair Forever, I really hope they also eventually add 12 Oz. Mouse, which is hands down the best thing to ever air on Adult Swim with the possible exception of season 4 of Venture Bros.

Two things:

The Trial, Orson Welles' adaptation of the Kafka novel starring Anthony Perkins. Not the best Welles film but extremely good.

Jon Benjamin Has a Van, which I somehow have never heard of before. Everyone's favorite voice actor doing Daily Show segment style "journalism".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mescal posted:

And? There's like 3 pages of pretty slight discussion about the stuff, that's a typical derail.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

precision posted:

In addition to Perfect Hair Forever, I really hope they also eventually add 12 Oz. Mouse, which is hands down the best thing to ever air on Adult Swim with the possible exception of season 4 of Venture Bros.

Two things:

The Trial, Orson Welles' adaptation of the Kafka novel starring Anthony Perkins. Not the best Welles film but extremely good.

Jon Benjamin Has a Van, which I somehow have never heard of before. Everyone's favorite voice actor doing Daily Show segment style "journalism".

Jon Benjamin Has A Van is pretty good. Part of me is glad it only got one season though. Not sure how it would have kept going.

I'm really rooting for Moral Orel and The Oblongs to be put on Netflix.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

I was trying to remember the name of 12 Oz. Mouse yesterday. That show was rad as heck.

Thanks for mentioning The Trial, btw, I somehow skipped over it in the list of new stuff.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Netflix's April Fools gag is really good.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

So this just happened.. I'm very confused and slightly disturbed. Anyone seen something like this?!

edit: oh yeah, 4.1!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaypeeh fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 1, 2013

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I got "Movies starring people that look like Zach Galifianakis".

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

My buddy got "Movies featuring Epic Nicholas Cage Meltdown"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I got "Movies that are in English but still require subtitles"

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I got "TV Shows Where Defiantly Crossed Arms Mean Business!" on XBox Live and just now on the website itself "Movies Starring Fruits, Vegetables and Fungi"

Wilhelm Scream fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 1, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I got "Movies that are in English but still require subtitles"

For most Americans (including myself), that'd be "any movies that star English actors that aren't 'Hollywood English'". Also movies where the cast all whisper-talk through 95% of the movie.

The American The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo had both of those issues, so I had to turn on subtitles for the whole thing, even having already seen the Swedish version. It made watching an English-language adaptation sort of redundant.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mescal posted:

Give it a rest.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Movies Starring Estelle Getty and Some Other Guy.

I mean, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot is more or less my favorite movie of all time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tewratomeh posted:

For most Americans (including myself), that'd be "any movies that star English actors that aren't 'Hollywood English'". Also movies where the cast all whisper-talk through 95% of the movie.

The American The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo had both of those issues, so I had to turn on subtitles for the whole thing, even having already seen the Swedish version. It made watching an English-language adaptation sort of redundant.

As a stupid American the only movie I've ever felt that way for was Snatch.

• Locked thread