Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The genuine best advice I can give you is to work with a contractor like MailChimp. They have full-time staff devoted to managing delistings on block lists and that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

d3c1 posted:

Thanks. Any other links? Awesome tips also welcome.

learn and love setroubleshoot and sealert. and get used to dealing with these for a while:

code:
$HOSTNAME setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/python2.7 from mac_admin access on the capability2 . 
For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l c80ddad5-21bd-47f9-bf64-8a8e195653b0

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Suspicious Dish posted:

The genuine best advice I can give you is to work with a contractor like MailChimp. They have full-time staff devoted to managing delistings on block lists and that sort of thing.

Or buy a package that handles it, but that is probably way more expensive if you truly aren't going to be doing 300k a day.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
The budget is precisely $0 so I can't contract it out. I have to figure it out and do it unfortunately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Saint Darwin posted:

Or buy a package that handles it, but that is probably way more expensive if you truly aren't going to be doing 300k a day.

I just checked and we sent 101.985 messages today and it's 6:30pm. Fridays are the slowest weekday for us, by far. It's comprised of:

Daily emails to each participant we have in our websites. These are 30-365 day programs, we send them a daily email (which they can opt-out of, of course)
Participants can send various items to other participants, things like daily tips, recipes, and photos from within our sites.
Participants sending team member invitations and friendship request emails for our websites.

We queue the daily messages up with Campaign Enterprise and we send the rest directly from our app (they go through the same email server. The daily messages are in one huge spurt at 3:00am, if we send them while people are actually at their computer, we get a huge traffic surge and it kills our web server (we only have one :().

About once a week we send an email blast to our mailing list, which is made of people who request info about our products on the website, and current customers (not the participants). There's probably about 35,000 of those right now. For that we use Interspire Email Marketer.

We ask our customers to whitelist our server or From: address but only about 1/10th of them actually do it. I haven't dealt with spam issues in a very long time but that's usually about all it ends up being. Make sure your SPF headers are right and you've got your server at a reputable host (Rackspace in our case, it's a dedicated box that's split into app/db using VMware).

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the easiest way to reinstall Grub when you do an install of Windows? My Win8 boot is totally borked at the moment and I'm so frustrated that I'm reverting back down to Win7. Video Card driver updated through Windows Update and even rollbacks, deleting the drivers, and installing older versions don't solve nonstop crashing. So time to format the drive and go with a trusted OS.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

YouTuber posted:

What is the easiest way to reinstall Grub when you do an install of Windows? My Win8 boot is totally borked at the moment and I'm so frustrated that I'm reverting back down to Win7. Video Card driver updated through Windows Update and even rollbacks, deleting the drivers, and installing older versions don't solve nonstop crashing. So time to format the drive and go with a trusted OS.

Depends on the distribution. Some distributions have rescue disk functionality that can automagically reinstall grub. If your distro doesn't have this, then it is going to differ based on if your distro uses Grub 1 or Grub 2. Worst case is you need to boot from a live cd, mount the system and boot partitions, chroot into the mounted system partition, and rerun your distro's method to install grub.

Edit: If your partitioning scheme has changed, you may have to edit some config files too, but this differs between grub 1 and 2 as well.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 30, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Could also try something like this http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I got it to work! :haw:

code:
oldpass = passold
newpass = passnew
username = user

(open 192.168.1.2
sleep 2
echo $username
sleep 2
echo $oldpass
sleep 2
echo passwd
echo $oldpass
echo $newpass
echo $newpass
echo exit
echo exit)|telnet

(open 192.168.1.2
sleep 2
echo $username
sleep 2
echo $oldpass
sleep 2
echo passwd
echo $oldpass
echo $newpass
echo $newpass
echo exit
echo exit)|telnet
I had to put "echo exit" in twice because I'm prompted "you have running jobs" - the thing is, it's totally intermittent. Which is strange...

Lothas
Aug 24, 2012
Iv got Windows and Ubuntu on my laptop, is it possible to have a graphical display on start up when selecting an operating system instead of just a list? I know this is possible on a Mac but iv a had a look on Google and so far iv been unable to find anything similar for Linux.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Lothas posted:

Iv got Windows and Ubuntu on my laptop, is it possible to have a graphical display on start up when selecting an operating system instead of just a list? I know this is possible on a Mac but iv a had a look on Google and so far iv been unable to find anything similar for Linux.
Some bootloaders can use icons and logos instead of just text, burg is one of them:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/069/a/8/Radiance_for_Grub_2_BURG_by_shafin.png

As far as I know it's still basically just a list, but with icons instead of pure text.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is it possible to get three monitors working on a system with two AMD 6950's? Each card has two DVI ports and for the life of me I cannot get a single desktop to span all three monitors. With AMD's Control Center, when I enable and configure the monitor on the second card, all I get is a blank gray screen with an X for a mouse cursor and when I move the mouse to that monitor it "captures" the mouse so I can't move it off of that monitor.

I'm working on learning how to configure xorg.conf right now, but the idea I'm getting is that this sort of configuration just won't work at all on Linux.

Here's what I've come up with on my xorg.conf so far. It still has the problem I mention above when I configure it with the Catalyst Control Center.

I have Xinerama off because Unity doesn't load with it on. I get my wallpaper on all three screens, and can move my mouse freely between them, but I can't do anything without window manager or launchers besides opening a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T.

edit: This post about the state of the Linux graphics driver model makes me think this isn't possible. It also almost makes me think "gently caress the Linux graphics driver model", but then again I'm not in the position to judge...things like this build from a history and hindsight is 20/20.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 31, 2013

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
I just put cinnamon on my linux mint 14 computer, and when I log in the taskbar is missing. When I open the terminal and input in the command...
code:
cinnamon --replace
...the taskbar appears. However, if I close this terminal window now my keyboard stops working and the taskbar disappears again.

Do any of you know how to enable the taskbar in cinnamon without the above command?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Is it possible to get three monitors working on a system with two AMD 6950's? Each card has two DVI ports and for the life of me I cannot get a single desktop to span all three monitors. With AMD's Control Center, when I enable and configure the monitor on the second card, all I get is a blank gray screen with an X for a mouse cursor and when I move the mouse to that monitor it "captures" the mouse so I can't move it off of that monitor.

I'm working on learning how to configure xorg.conf right now, but the idea I'm getting is that this sort of configuration just won't work at all on Linux.

Here's what I've come up with on my xorg.conf so far. It still has the problem I mention above when I configure it with the Catalyst Control Center.

I have Xinerama off because Unity doesn't load with it on. I get my wallpaper on all three screens, and can move my mouse freely between them, but I can't do anything without window manager or launchers besides opening a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T.

As far as I'm aware, XRandR doesn't support multiple cards yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

As far as I'm aware, XRandR doesn't support multiple cards yet.

Yep, that's the conclusion I've come to.

AFAICT, on Linux today, you cannot have more than one video card and have a desktop extend across all of them. XRandR 1.4 might bring some progress in this area, but I wouldn't count on it. It was supposed to happen in 1.3 but that didn't work out.

The best hope on this front seems to be the Mir display server from Canonical, but that won't be available in a distribution until Ubuntu 14.04 at the earliest and I have my doubts about whether they can do it and whether it's good for them to be striking out on their own.

Sigh.

What's a good cheap video card that will support three monitors in Linux?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Note that Dave Airlied is working on this, so you might see it in X sometime soon. Whether proprietary AMD will support this, nobody konws.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

What's a good cheap video card that will support three monitors in Linux?

So, I guess this is what it's come down to. I'll ebay my two 6950's which should get me around 300 dollars.

I just need to figure out which card for sure will support three DVI monitors, because I'm tired of loving around with this.

Unsurprisingly, Googlin' around finds a lot of people talking about what they think will work without anybody having tried it themselves.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can you not just get a displayport to dvi adapter and hook up your third monitor that way?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Can you not just get a displayport to dvi adapter and hook up your third monitor that way?

The issue is that XRandR doesn't support more than one video card, regardless of the type of connector. You can use Xinerama to span multiple video cards, but Xinerama is old and poo poo and doesn't work with compositing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thermopyle posted:

AFAICT, on Linux today, you cannot have more than one video card and have a desktop extend across all of them.
I believe this is true of heterogeneous video cards but not SLI/Crossfire configurations, which obviously work by combining the various RAMDACs into one logically-addressed pseudo-adapter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

AFAICT, on Linux today, you cannot have more than one video card and have a desktop extend across all of them. XRandR 1.4 might bring some progress in this area, but I wouldn't count on it. It was supposed to happen in 1.3 but that didn't work out.

It works on nVidia. Compositing breaks unless the cards are close in generation, my GTX550+GT220 pairing isn't really usable this way, but SLI is not required.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
NVIDIA proprietary always did its own monitor configuration thing. RandR support was only added this year. It's not based on the open-source drivers, unlike Catalyst (it's forked from an old version of mesa). As I said, David Airlie is working on this for the next version of RandR, so you'll just have to wait.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

The issue is that XRandR doesn't support more than one video card, regardless of the type of connector. You can use Xinerama to span multiple video cards, but Xinerama is old and poo poo and doesn't work with compositing.

I understand but IIRC the 6950 can do triple monitors on it's own.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I understand but IIRC the 6950 can do triple monitors on it's own.
Hah! This made me look again, and you're right. I'd just organized my office and when I looked previously, I'd looked at the back of the video card in my server, not my desktop. They're both behind my desk and the easiest way to see the back of them without moving them around is to look under my desk where there's only a 5 inch gap...

Apparently, I need an active mini displayport to DVI adapter, which I just ordered.

Everyone point at me and laugh for a long time.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
We have user's home directories shared as NFS shares and all computers, including servers, mount them with autofs when requested. On ONE server, for ONE user, there is ONE subdirectory that is showing 2 of each individual file (it has no subdirs under that).

It does not happen in his other directories
It does not happen when it's mounted on another machine
It does not show that way locally

I've tried exportfs -f on the server with no fix. I've restarted his machine. I can't find anyone on the internet beyond a bug reports that are never answered, forum posts that are answered with links to said bug reports, or stuff from Netapp asking for details that are never given.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
See RHBZ 813070, 739222, RHSA-2012-0862. Short answer is that it's a bug on the NFS server. You need a patched kernel (2.6.32-279 or higher).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

I got it to work! :haw:

[deleted for space]

I had to put "echo exit" in twice because I'm prompted "you have running jobs" - the thing is, it's totally intermittent. Which is strange...

Catching up on the thread (busy on contract these days) Did you try it with a here document? Like this

code:
passwd <<EOF
old password
new password
new password
EOF
While I'm here, has anyone tried one of the new Intel NUCs? The look fairly tasty but I'd rather know that 1920x1080 works before buying one ;)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's the current "best" WiFi solution on Linux, in terms of driver support? Don't care about it being a binary blob at all, only looking at performance + stability. Intel, Atheros? Maybe even Realtek?

USB / PCIe are fine.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Practically all network chipsets have great support in the kernel. Broadcom was the last major holdout, but they've since open-sourced their driver and it's now in the kernel upstream.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like Atheros myself and I have a healthy dislike for Broadcom but other than that it's a wash tbh.

Apart from that I've never ever liked any of Realtek's products ever for any OS, so I try to avoid them.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

movax posted:

What's the current "best" WiFi solution on Linux, in terms of driver support? Don't care about it being a binary blob at all, only looking at performance + stability. Intel, Atheros? Maybe even Realtek?

USB / PCIe are fine.

Intel if you can, if not Realtek, wouldn't bother with anything else really

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Never realtek. Intel followed by Atheros followed by broadcom.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I have not had much experience with Realtek wireless chipsets but their wired ones were always the standard for cheap but works.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm not sure how, but the spare disk on my array became part of the array at some point. Instead of showing up as a spare it's marked as active and the Array size has increased too.

There doesn't appear to be a way to shrink the array and remove the disk, so should i just leave it as is or just grow the partition to consume the new space?

This is a raid 5 with now six 2TB disks, the spare was there to mitigate any possible disk failures caused during a rebuild. This array is now so big I have no clue how I'll migrate it to something else, so wtf am I going to do?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
For those who use GNOME 3 with Ubuntu 12.10:

Have any of you experienced your mouse not working after a period of time? I get the strangest behavior: I can use the Activities hot corner, and mouse clicks work there when selecting different applications...but I can't click or scroll on any windows on the desktop. I just installed SickBeard, SABnzbd; could that even be an issue?

I'm so baffled by this, but hopefully someone else had this experience and knows of a fix. Thanks!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
We've had several bug reports like that, but I've never managed to reproduce it myself. You said you could click on windows to focus them, but the click doesn't go through to the application?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

We've had several bug reports like that, but I've never managed to reproduce it myself. You said you could click on windows to focus them, but the click doesn't go through to the application?

No, can't even click on the windows to focus them. Can't right click either. The only way to gain focus is to go to the Activities hot corner (or hit Windows/Linux key), then click on the application you want, but then once you click on that app, you can't click anywhere else. I wish I could reproduce it, but it seems to happen at random.

The very first time it happened, I accidentally hit Caps Lock at the same time when Alt-Tabbing...but with each subsequent occurrence, Caps Lock wasn't touched.

In addition, if I Alt-Tab multiple times while this is acting up, it looks like multiple Alt-Tab windows are created that stack on top of each other. I then have to click outside of the alt-tab windows for each time I hit alt-tab in order to get rid of the window. Letting go of Alt when I get to a task doesn't switch to it, either.

This makes me sad, because my Ubuntu install was otherwise perfect :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Right, OK, this is known as a "stuck grab", and it's a very hard bug to track down. For now, just restart (switch to a VT with Ctrl+Alt+F2, login, gnome-shell --replace --display :0, and then switch back using Ctrl+Alt+F7). I'm going to work on putting infrastructure into tracking these down today and hope that we can get these fixed for you soon.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain the logic as to why partitions don't automount on boot like they do in Windows? I have my music on a crappy 200gb drive from 2006 that isn't trustworthy for anything I care about. When I have my library of music imported into any music player I have to go into File Manager and mount the partitions before they can play. Why is this? Every time I look at a thread about it you get some nerd being obtuse shouting HARD DRIVES DO AUTO MOUNT. Which isn't the loving question, it's why don't partitions mount on boot.

Also, is there an easy way to make the partitions auto-mount on boot so this isn't an issue any longer? Apparently pySDM, NTFS-Manager and Mount Manager are all abandoned by the developers. I could manually edit the fstab file but I'm pretty ansty on doing so since I'm still a rank amateur with linux and words like UUID are total gibberish even if I'm beginning to understand parts of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Start Disks (gnome-disks), select the partition on the device in question, click the "More Actions" (gears icon) button, choose "Edit Mount Options", turn "Automatic Mount Options" off, check "Mount at startup", choose a mount point, click OK, enter your root password, and you're done.