Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Thanks guys. I read somewhere that the Scala Rider couldn't do this, but perhaps it was an older version or I misunderstood it. Tempted to roll my own somehow. Maybe a Raspberry Pi as hub, built in under the seat?

edit: This seems to indicate you can't do that with the Scala G9: http://cardoscalariderg9.com/wp/pairing-2-scala-g9-to-a-sena-sm10-dual-music-transmitter-sm10-to-scala-g9-review/

conclusion: BIG BLUETOOTH IS VIOLATING MY RIGHTS

Hmm going back and looking at the manual of mine you may be right. It mentions that all of the members can use it as a stereo headset as well as an intercom but doesn't say anything about everyone listening to the same thing.

Thinking about it this might be a limitation of Bluetooth itself - I can certainly understand them not bothering to implement multiple streaming like that because it would need multiple radios, which would be a pretty big expense for an edge case.

Why not have everyone listening to their own music anyway? What are you, some kind of music fascist insisting your passenger has to listen to what you are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thinking about it this might be a limitation of Bluetooth itself - I can certainly understand them not bothering to implement multiple streaming like that because it would need multiple radios, which would be a pretty big expense for an edge case.

Why not have everyone listening to their own music anyway? What are you, some kind of music fascist insisting your passenger has to listen to what you are?

It is, and at the very least Sena makes such an expensive add-on to do just this.

Halo_4am posted:

There are some tech limitations in broadcasting audio like you want, and that's why you're not finding it on anything. As a BT enabled music player any phone following the specs can only play music out to, and accept commands from a single device. That device then would have to reconstruct and rebroadcast very quickly and without the full audio controls. Beyond that limitation, the headset has to know it's a low priority music broadcast and not a normal conference so it can cut it out for actual speaking, GPS, phone calls, etc.

Other manufacturers probably have a not-out-of-the-box solution as well. As to listening to the same thing, it might be nice for the passenger to handle the tunes while you handle the bike. Also singing badly with others is age old fun. It's like singing kumbaya around a campfire, only with a better song, and instead of a campfire it's a combustion engine traveling at 80 miles an hour across the country. What's not to like about it?

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 1, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've just realised the new Caponord 1200 is probably going to be too wide and too long to fit into my garden. Another love affair shattered before it started. :smith:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If I'm understanding the lingo correctly, you mean your property's yard, correct? How small is your garden :psyduck:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've just realised the new Caponord 1200 is probably going to be too wide and too long to fit into my garden. Another love affair shattered before it started. :smith:

clearly the solution is to move house.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

echomadman posted:

You beat me to it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

AncientTV posted:

If I'm understanding the lingo correctly, you mean your property's yard, correct? How small is your garden :psyduck:

I live in the middle of London, it's a miracle I have a garden at all. It's about 4x3 metres but the layout (and narrowness of the gate) mean that the Shiver literally only just fits, and even that required modification of the gate and parking at an angle across.

echomadman posted:

Getting a new house and still being able to afford a bike would involve moving the sort of distance out of town that would require an oil change half way.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Move into an abandoned Underground station.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I took my first "real" ride today. Just took off and aimlessly wandered around for a while. After about an hour, I found a church that I had no idea even existed (only 3 miles from the house, no less!) and used its parking lot to better familiarize myself with the bike. Nothing exciting by any means but I had a ton of fun weaving around the lot, pulling u-turns, panic stops, and feeling out the clutch action. After I was done, I just took off and kept going down the road. I kept going, and going, and going... Eventually I meandered back home to find my wife wondering where I'd been because my "quick trip" turned into a 4 hour joyride. Heh, whoops! Great day for a new rider though, can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Getting a new house and still being able to afford a bike would involve moving the sort of distance out of town that would require an oil change half way.

Hmm, either you don't live in the UK as I've been assuming all this time, or those Aprilias have an absolutely brutal oil change schedule. Even my old bike could theoretically make it from Brighton to Aberdeen, back to Brighton, and back up to Aberdeen on one set of oil.

VVV Good to be back, got banned for some stupid rule that came into effect yesterday in PYF. What are these the something nice forums etc

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 1, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
One of us, one of us, one of us

ed: WB sagebrush

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Hmm, either you don't live in the UK as I've been assuming all this time, or those Aprilias have an absolutely brutal oil change schedule. Even my old bike could theoretically make it from Brighton to Aberdeen, back to Brighton, and back up to Aberdeen on one set of oil.

You're forgetting the mileage it'd rack up during the weekly stealing by chavs

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

You're forgetting the mileage it'd rack up during the weekly stealing by chavs

You're making the grave mistake in assuming that chavs know how to ride bikes!

... I guess that's how they learn. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

VVV Good to be back, got banned for some stupid rule that came into effect yesterday in PYF. What are these the something nice forums etc

I was being a touch hyperbolic - even the sainted RS125 could make it from Lands End to John O'Groats and back between services. (The Shiver, at 12k miles, has the longest service intervals I've ever seen on a bike, and I assume that the 1200s have the same schedule)

The point is that London house prices are so insane that even with the absolutely ridiculous money I get paid for doing very little, I'd still have to move a good distance out to get a house with a garage (because why bother moving if not to upgrade?), and having done >1 hour commutes in the past there's no way I'd want to go back to that.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Move to Brisbane, never have to worry about cold weather/rain, ride year round and afford a house close to the cbd with a double garage :P

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

theperminator posted:

Move to Brisbane, never have to worry about cold weather/rain, ride year round and

You mean cold rain right? Because as far as rain goes, we're having a pretty good run of having major flooding every two years.

theperminator posted:

afford a house close to the cbd with a double garage :P

But a double garage isn't enough to hold all the toys!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Well fine, Darwin or something.

I would've recommended sydney but it's impossible to meet all of those requirements here.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Plus Sydney is a shithole.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Jealousy is a stinky cologne!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nah... its just poo poo. I seriously don't understand how people can stand to live there.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Three ways:

1: Laziness
2: Not being a poor
3: Not drowning in floods

On a serious note, I love Brisbane
If I wasn't so lazy and was guaranteed to get a job there I'd make the move, one of my mates did it and never looked back.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the Bluetooth info guys. I'll give those expensive things a miss.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Sagebrush posted:

The distances involved are an April Fools joke right, otherwise I may be ludicrously overdue for an oil change. e: nm, misread implication, I've still got 2500 to go. Thank gently caress.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 1, 2013

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Ola posted:

Thanks for the Bluetooth info guys. I'll give those expensive things a miss.

I just ordered a Sena SMH10 yesterday, I'll let ya know how it goes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Fuckin' valve shims, man. I've been so used to the adjusting locknuts on my past 3 bikes and my buddy's CX that I didn't even think about having to order parts for the SV, and of course it isn't really something I can buy in town.
Although, it makes the adjustment less of a pain, even if it means removing the radiator, carbs, tensioners, and cams.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Wootcannon posted:

The distances involved are an April Fools joke right, otherwise I may be ludicrously overdue for an oil change. e: nm, misread implication, I've still got 2500 to go. Thank gently caress.

My 350's official interval is 1500 miles.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

AncientTV posted:

I didn't even think about having to order parts for the SV, and of course it isn't really something I can buy in town.
You sure? That's a real common bike, I would bet the Suzuki dealer would have a stock of shims to fit it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Some places will exchange your shim for a different size for free or a few dollars each. Most 600cc+ japanese bikes use 9.48mm shims IIRC so you can probably hit up any dealer nearby. Might want to buy a micrometer though just to double check or have them double-check their size using the shop's tools.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The weather was perfect yesterday, so the GF and I took the motorcycle to Easter dinner. Went to catch a 6:45 ferry back to Seattle (the next one being 7:55 and the crossing takes an hour). The line was backed up by 50 cars from the booths and not moving. Were I in a car, the only option would've been to drive around. As I was on a motorcycle, this would not stand.
I jumped into the bus lane and rode down to the booths. GF got off and talked to the ferry worker for a second. He scanned my pass and waved us through as cars were turning around because they were sold out for that sailing. Even made it down before they started loading so I got off first on the other side. Two wheel superiority :smug:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

So, say I was to sell my car to get a small pickup truck. What would CA recommend for something that is cheap, reliable, automatic, V6, and will fit a 600cc sport bike in the bed? I may have discovered that Jennings GP is only 2 hours north of me this weekend and gotten a serious bug to buy a sport bike.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BlackLaser posted:

So, say I was to sell my car to get a small pickup truck. What would CA recommend for something that is cheap, reliable, automatic, V6, and will fit a 600cc sport bike in the bed? I may have discovered that Jennings GP is only 2 hours north of me this weekend and gotten a serious bug to buy a sport bike.

My 4cyl Ranger is a great little truck. I've put 35k on it since 2010 without needing anything other than a fuel pump.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd get one of the old toyota trucks (same truck as the ranger, essentially) in a 4 banger/2wd model. Reliable, cheap, and has towed my bikes all around CA, Oregon, and out to miller motorsports with no issues.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also would recommend something small and 2WD like a Ranger, S-10, B2300, etc. All the Rangers can handle around a half ton in the bed before they get overloaded, so even two 600cc bikes and a spare set of wheels for each should fit tightly.

I loved our Ranger, a 2WD 4-cylinder 5-speed short bed 2-door. Absolutely the perfect size for carting around average mechanical hobbyist DIY type things, without having to deal with the excessive size and fuel economy penalties of a full-size. I resent that Ford has stopped building the Ranger. If I ever buy another pickup that's what I'll get.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

My 4cyl Ranger is a great little truck. I've put 35k on it since 2010 without needing anything other than a fuel pump.

Seconded. Cheap, reliable. I can never get rid of mine. My long box will fit a Harley with the gate down; anything else you can latch the gate up. I haul two bikes to the trails in it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

theperminator posted:

Move to Brisbane, never have to worry about cold weather/rain, ride year round and afford a house close to the cbd with a double garage :P

Yeah I'll get right on that once you sort out the spider situation. And the snakes. And the sharks. And the poisonous loving trees. Basically God wants Australians dead and it's one of the things that, this Easter, makes me think that He is both real, and righteous.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I had a Mazda B4000 (Ford Ranger), V6, rock solid. Awesome truck.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I traded my R1 for my ranger after I wrecked it. The wife made me get rid of it and I honestly don't regret it. Like Sagebrush mine is a 4cyl 5 speed stripper model, it's absolutely perfect for hauling bikes and bombing through trails.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Any small truck will work good for hauling bikes, ranger/tacoma/b2200/etc. Another option is put a trailer hitch on your car and get a trailer. I put a hitch on my Golf and pull a 4x6 trailer for track days and dirt riding. Tows fine, gets great mpg (diesel) and I didn't need to buy a truck that wouldn't see much use. You just need to keep the towing weight reasonable and leave more space for braking.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Or stick it in neutral, pop the front wheel in the boot, zip-tie the front brake and bungee cord the bejesus out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So, uh, holy crap? My MPG with the dyno map (which I called the guy and talked about and he kept repeating that it was a good-enough fix-it on a massively messed-up tuning job [which I also discovered had way-advanced static timing and too-hot spark plugs, since fixed]) was about 33ish... now that I got the race map installed I've been riding like a complete dong because it's running oh-so-smooth-and-buttery I went through a full tank - 3 gallons over 140 miles -> about 46.7 mpg.

I might revisit my trip budget, because that's a huge difference in fuel cost over 4400 miles.