Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

Are there any other wide/uw lenses out there like the Zeiss 21mm that have a hard stop at infinity focus? That's extremely useful for the type of shooting I do, and I never knew that it actually existed.

The XF 14mm does too but it's backwards from every lens I've ever held, ie infinity is all the way left on the ring.

I actually popped in the thread to give a trip report on the 14 after spending a few hours with it. The bad is that it is a bit bigger and heavier than I'd prefer (the 35 being the baseline). It isn't a brick or anything but I can feel it carrying around the 35, 60 and X-Pro 1. I knew what I was getting into though so it's not much of a complaint and it's way better than the Canon adaptor + Tokina 12-24 ATX glass brick I was previously using. The aperture ring is looser than I'd like but apparently Fuji had been mailing around test lenses with different ring feel and I guess this is what prevailed. A rubber or hair band should fix this right up.

The good is that it's probably as sharp as the 60 and while the Tokina renders things in this weird, clinical way that I have an affection for, the 14 destroys it in the corners. The MF clutch system is every bit as nice as the Tokina and manual focusing feels pretty good. I can also verify that there is some rudimentary or unintentional focus peaking going on as I have observed white lines around contours of things while loving around.

So far I'd say it's well worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^ hows the distortion in the corners? How far can a person stand away from the center and still look normal?

I might trade my Tokina 11-16 for a XF 14 or Voigtlander VM15. To be honest with you, spending the XF 14 money for a wide angle is a little bit too much I would like to commit to an APS system. My main problem is though its size.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

whatever7 posted:

^ hows the distortion in the corners? How far can a person stand away from the center and still look normal?

I might trade my Tokina 11-16 for a XF 14 or Voigtlander VM15. To be honest with you, spending the XF 14 money for a wide angle is a little bit too much I would like to commit to an APS system. My main problem is though its size.

I'm not sure there is any and http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/807-fuji14f28?start=1 backs me up so I would guess pretty close? I looked at the Voigtlander but the samples I found looked smeary. I figured a lot of the cost of the lens was going into avoiding common problems (distortion is corrected optically, for example) so I felt like it was worth it. There is no CA that I could find, the RAWs show no distortion but you can see where the camera corrects for vignetting in the JPGs.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The XF 14mm...

Well, I already wanted it when I thought it had wiggle room on the infinity focus like every other AF lens - so this pretty much seals the deal for me. It's cheaper and wider than the Zeiss which is also nice.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Just got the XF 18mm for my X-E1, and I have to say, coupled with the small size, it really is going to be the lens that lives forever on my camera. (Until the 23 comes out)

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

Well, I already wanted it when I thought it had wiggle room on the infinity focus like every other AF lens - so this pretty much seals the deal for me. It's cheaper and wider than the Zeiss which is also nice.

Yeah it doesn't have the feel of the other XF lenses (the 35 and 60 anyways), the manual focusing feels really nice. The focusing ring covers the distance guide that is engraved on the lens and is locked in place until you pull the focusing ring towards you. You can put the lens into manual focus mode at anytime, overriding whatever mode the camera was in which takes some getting used to. The digital distance and DOF scale only works in AF-Single and Continuous, it disappears if you put the camera or lens in Manual. If you have the camera in Manual but not the lens you can only focus with one-touch since the focus ring is locked. It sounds more complicated than it is in use.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Randuin posted:

Just got the XF 18mm for my X-E1, and I have to say, coupled with the small size, it really is going to be the lens that lives forever on my camera. (Until the 23 comes out)

The 23mm will be nice I bet.
The preproduction models show it's huge though. I don't understand, it's 1 stop faster but 8 times bigger than the x100 version.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChirreD posted:

The preproduction models show it's huge though. I don't understand, it's 1 stop faster but 8 times bigger than the x100 version.

He probably was thinking the 27mm 2.8 pancake. I made the same mistake before.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ChirreD posted:

Going from f/2 to f/1.4 does make a big difference, but the x100 also has the benefit of being built into the camera. Part of the lens is hidden from view.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

whatever7 posted:

He probably was thinking the 27mm 2.8 pancake. I made the same mistake before.

No I was actually thinking about the 23. It is a ton bigger but faster and at a focal length that's presumably better for what I do mostly. Who knows, depending on the price I might even just keep sticking with the 18.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So the sensor on my NEX C3 somehow got a smudge of some sort on it. I'm assuming this is something that someone that knows what they're doing should take care of?

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Going from f/2 to f/1.4 does make a big difference, but the x100 also has the benefit of being built into the camera. Part of the lens is hidden from view.

I know, but still it's a lot larger. There's probably a perfectly fine scientific explanation for this.
If only it would be smaller ;-)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

fknlo posted:

So the sensor on my NEX C3 somehow got a smudge of some sort on it. I'm assuming this is something that someone that knows what they're doing should take care of?

Get a rocket blower so that you can blow the dust off. If that doesn't work a sensor swab can clean it off, and it's easy enough, especially on a mirrorless camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's actually really weird to me that there isn't some mechanical shutter that can be actuated by the physical removal of the lens on some mirrorless cameras. I gather that would take up extra space and probably isn't as big an issue as I'm thinking since I doubt people are going to switch lenses THAT often, but still.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

It's actually really weird to me that there isn't some mechanical shutter that can be actuated by the physical removal of the lens on some mirrorless cameras. I gather that would take up extra space and probably isn't as big an issue as I'm thinking since I doubt people are going to switch lenses THAT often, but still.

Most mirroreless cameras do have a mechanical shutter, it just stays open most of the time so that you can use the sensor for live view. Probably stays open when the camera is off because it was open when you turned it off.

e. I think the pentax q has an electronic shutter, but even that only gets uses in weird circumstances, the lenses have a mechanical shutter built in for it to use when possible.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 31, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I mean I know they have a shutter-shutter, I meant something more mechanical like the lens pushes in an pin which just opens a spring-loaded curtain across the sensor when the lens is off.

Or I guess they could somehow close the physical shutter when the camera is unpowered? I dunno.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, the mirrorless cameras I've used all activate the sensor cleaning at startup, so unless it's some terrible dust it generally doesn't matter. It is a good reason to have the camera off when you swap lenses though, so that any dust that got on the sensor gets cleaned off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One of the main reasons I got an ILC was that when I left my old G7 to get cleaned at a supposedly reputable store while on vacation, the dumbasses managed to snap the motherboard while taking it apart. Sigh.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My sensor is filthy because I change lenses all the time while shooting shows but I shoot wide open aperture most of the time so it's not so bad.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Randuin posted:

No I was actually thinking about the 23. It is a ton bigger but faster and at a focal length that's presumably better for what I do mostly. Who knows, depending on the price I might even just keep sticking with the 18.

Really? I would just get the X100 or X100s instead.

The XF 23/1.4 is basically same size as the RX1, maybe bigger.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 31, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a rocket blower so that you can blow the dust off. If that doesn't work a sensor swab can clean it off, and it's easy enough, especially on a mirrorless camera.

I noticed it while I was in there with my blower trying to get some dust I noticed in pictures. It's a smudge of some kind. Not sure how it got there since I've definitely never touched the sensor. I'll have to grab some sensor swabs and take care of it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nex-f3 kit, only 370 today on amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NEX-F3K-...ZXBM2DDWWHJNSF7

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
What are people's experience with buying gray market equipment? I'm currently in Japan and the prices for the olympus epm2 is approximately 380 usd with kit lens while the US is 500. Several prime panasonic and olympus m43 lenses are all at least 50-100 dollars cheaper too thanks to the weakening yen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't expect a warranty, but if it works then why not.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 30mm? I want to get a prime for my NEX-5R.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It's fairly light, tiny, sharp, and super cheap. Great lens overall.

Not the quickest focusing lens, but this might be due to the Sony 5N I use.

Downsides: Not a pancake, f/2.8 rather than f/2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm really looking forward to the 20mm pancake. If it's good it should be worth the $300-something they'll be asking for it.

A nice fast-ish ~30mm prime that isn't a complete bank-buster that isn't also garishly silver. Basically my ideal lens.

Also gently caress Canada Post for being off today. I was expecting my Industar-69 :(

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost

glassyalabolas posted:

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 30mm? I want to get a prime for my NEX-5R.

I picked up both of them as a package deal a while back, and agree with everything Shmoogy said. Shutter is also louder than the kit I think. I've been very happy with them, both are quite pocketable and about 2/3rds the length of the 18-55mm kit lens.

Below is a full size unedited shot from the 30mm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4sirqf7aml456b/20130310-001.jpg

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Saba posted:

Shutter is also louder than the kit I think.

Shutter is in your camera so you're just imagining this one.

That or it's somehow less sound-proof and lets more of the shutter sound out? Dunno.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

alkanphel posted:

Well advanced fixed-lens cameras like the RX100, RX1 and X100s are relatively new in the history of digital cameras so I think it will take some time before a better term is established for them, much like how point & shoot was used commonly to refer to the old basic Coolpix/Powershot/Cybershot cameras.

They're really not. The Ricoh GR Digital came out in 2007, people, we can come up with a new word already.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

glassyalabolas posted:

Considering you could (can?) get it for basically $100 it's a steal. Upsides are it's pretty great optically and it's cheap as all hell. Downsides are, no image stabilization (unlike Sony's $350 35/1.8), only f/2.8, and it takes longer to boot the camera. From cold start my kit lens is pretty much ready to go instantly, whereas the Sigma does take about 2 seconds before the NEX will release shutter.

You really can't go wrong for the price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helicity posted:

That's a good point with the adapter - who makes good ones? I have a Fotodiox, but I feel like it doesn't match up with one my Taks very well and they have ignored several email questions from me. My Taks and my Minoltas don't have the hard stop, so I was wondering if there was a cutoff year or something, or certain brands that I could look more deeply into.

My suspicion would be that your lenses are hosed up. All of my Taks and all of my Pentax lenses (the evolution of the Tak line) have hard stops and I believe the Rokkor-X 50/1.4 I have sitting on my desk at home has a hard stop too. It was practically universal until autofocus lenses came around. Maybe some shadetree mechanic worked on your lenses at some point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I could find the Sig 30 for $100 I would own it right now :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

If I could find the Sig 30 for $100 I would own it right now :(

I bet you could find a Tak 35/3.5 SMC for $100 :buddy:

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Shutter is in your camera so you're just imagining this one.

That or it's somehow less sound-proof and lets more of the shutter sound out? Dunno.

Nice catch. Yeah, I meant the autofocus. Could just be my unit though, not sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Saba posted:

Nice catch. Yeah, I meant the autofocus. Could just be my unit though, not sure.

That makes sense. AF was a little whirry in all the videos I've watched online, but I don't own either it or the kit lens so I can't compare :)

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I keep forgetting you aren't in the US.

Sorry :/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0078ZYBP0/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1364939313&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+e+mount&condition=used

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I didn't even think to look used. I've been checking Craigslist religiously but haven't tried expanding past that. Not too worried about Canada vs USA. I can always have my American friends drop-ship that up to me.

Thanks! Definitely thinking about one, now.

Can't decide whether I want to do that or save my money for the 20 2.8 that Sony is flinging down the line. It should probably be worth the money. I might wait until the reviews are in.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The om-d is surprisingly capable at infrared. I am filled with regret that I got a sigma now.

P4020254.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Lightroom 4.4 is out: "Fix default aspect ratio support for Fujifilm X-E1 raw files."

Thank gently caress, that was doing my nut in.