Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Bonnouji Ch. 26!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I somewhat randomly clicked on this thread, and then clicked on that link, and son of a bitch I just marathoned that whole thing. I need more Bonnouji now.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Wow, those pillows are a real thing I take it? That's... kind of incredible.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's possible I missed it being posted before, but I just saw that there's a bonus chapter for the ending of Kids on the Slope/Sakamichi no Apollon. So if you wanted to see where the future might take those characters here's your chance:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/149059/sakamichi-no-apollon_v10_ch50_by_sukikatte
Even if you only watched the anime as opposed to reading it you should check it out.

Holy gently caress, it's really good.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Are there any other anime like B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time? Sexual without being a punch line by itself (Love Hina)? A bit more mature?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, it's manga, but you should probably read Bonnouji. It's really good and doesn't hide stuff.

I'd argue for a Bonnouji thread on its own, it's that good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finally getting around to reading the new(ish) publishing of Sailor Moon. It's actually even better than I thought it was going to be and moves way faster than I was expecting; I'm only on Volume 3 and they just took out Queen Beryl.

Her art ranges from "pretty good" to "completely incredible" and a lot of the page and panel layouts are amazing. And while her character designs don't have much to do with anything resembling actual anatomy (it's like 70% leg/15% hair/14% eyeball/1% everything else) everything is really expressive and fun just to look at.

Not a huge fan of all the honoriffics everywhere, but it seems like a lost cause to hope for a change in their usage anytime soon, and seeing the phrase "Legendary Silver Crystal" written out with quotes every time is moderately annoying. Not that I have any idea what would work better, the quotes just make it seem like either product placement, or sarcasm.

Completely unrelated to Sailor Moon... Fumi and Akira made a small cameo in the latest Sasameki Koto chapter:

GUITAR VILLAIN
Jan 27, 2008

I have come here to play guitar and kick ass... and I'm all outta strings.
Are you tired of shoujo protagonists that never, ever make a move towards each other for 19 volumes? Are you sick of misunderstandings being used as plot devices every five pages, instead of having the characters simply ask each other "Hey, what was that all about?" Do you like good comedy, tastefully done romance, characters that experience emotional growth in a very natural way, and overall good vibes? If so, I recommend checking out High School Debut.

Haruna Nagashima is a teenager who has just entered high school. She was a softball superstar in middle school, and after putting all of her effort towards sports for so many years, she decides that now, she'd like to give athletics a break and pour all of her energy into finding romance instead. The problem is, she approaches love the same way she approached softball. Teen Beat magazines and the like are now her playbooks, and she follows all of the superficial rag advice instead of being herself. Since that doesn't work, she decides that, just like with softball, she needs to find herself a coach. Enter one Yoh Komiyama, a smooth operator and one of the coolest dudes on campus. Yoh has a reputation for being able to read people really well, and so, after some persuading, Haruna gets Yoh to agree to coach her on how to win a guy's heart.

I checked it out on a whim and it quickly became one of my favorite manga series. Personally, I enjoy its sense of humor, the interpersonal relationships between its cast of characters, and especially the irrepressible heroine, Haruna. The artist also has a cool sense of fashion and is very good at drawing funny faces.

But don't take my word for it. Have a look at the most positive bits of the reception blurb on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

[The author, Kawahara's] art was praised for its clean style and layout, dynamic figures, and emotional expressions...Reviewers consistently hailed Haruna as a comic heroine and a key to the series' appeal, but Kawahara's handling of the other chararacters was also praised, particularly with Yoh and his sister Asami. They also praised Haruna's relationship with Yoh, which is presented as a pairing of friends and equals...

Some critics have called it predictable, although I found that more often than not, High School Debut sets up shoujo cliches only to subvert those expectations within the same chapter. There are some elements of the story that you will see coming from many miles away. There are other elements you will not. I think it's a fun ride. Hopefully one of you will check it out, too.

USA Availability:
It's available for digital purchase through VIZ. The first chapter is also available for free if you want to test the waters.
Don't like digital? You can buy the paperback on Amazon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke 67

A little strange having a New Years story around the kinda sorta time of Valentine's Day but OH WELL.

coathat
May 21, 2007

New Kimi ni Todoke is always good news but its better when coupled with the return of Taiyou no Ie!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Chapter 38 of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun isn't here. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tonari-no-Kaibutsu-kun/Vol-010-Ch-038--The-Day-of-the-School-Festival?id=157497

Pretty cute and I'm excited and a little anxious about the up coming chapters.

Still pissed that nobody has licensed it yet when they're putting out poo poo like Missions of Love.

Viz's new licenses don't really look that hot either.
Seiyuu-ka is ok solid B grade run of the mill shoujo with some cute and funny parts.
Sweet Rein doesn't look that promising, but its only 3 volumes so maybe girl becomes Santa Clause might be ok.
Happy Mari is completely off my radar. Anyone got an opinion?
Midnight Secretary is the quintessential bad josei manga. I couldn't finish reading it, and I've read some God awful poo poo to completion. That said Viz will probably make some decent money off of it.

I guess the only releases I'm looking forward too are the new Oresama Teacher, Limit, and picking up all of the new Paradise Kiss omnibuses.

Oh yeah Vampire Knight is finally ending in May if anyone is still reading that. God knows I'm not, but its still kinda weird whenever a super long manga ends.

coathat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 24, 2013

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

coathat posted:

Happy Mari is completely off my radar. Anyone got an opinion?

I read the fan scans to the end because I liked the art but it was thoroughly mediocre otherwise. You know how there are a lot of stories that start out with a gimmick but you stick with them and end up pleasantly surprised? This was the opposite of that.

E: I think I'm only reading Taiyou no Ie, Bonnouji and Hourou Musuko now so my standards might be too high :I

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 24, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

That's pretty much what I was expecting.

I've got to remember to buy the rest of Ooku some time soon since my library only has the first three volumes and it owned from what I read.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hourou Musuko 118

How old are these characters supposed to be now? Still their first year of high school?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GUITAR VILLAIN posted:

Are you tired of shoujo protagonists that never, ever make a move towards each other for 19 volumes? Are you sick of misunderstandings being used as plot devices every five pages, instead of having the characters simply ask each other "Hey, what was that all about?" Do you like good comedy, tastefully done romance, characters that experience emotional growth in a very natural way, and overall good vibes? If so, I recommend checking out High School Debut.

Haruna Nagashima is a teenager who has just entered high school. She was a softball superstar in middle school, and after putting all of her effort towards sports for so many years, she decides that now, she'd like to give athletics a break and pour all of her energy into finding romance instead. The problem is, she approaches love the same way she approached softball. Teen Beat magazines and the like are now her playbooks, and she follows all of the superficial rag advice instead of being herself. Since that doesn't work, she decides that, just like with softball, she needs to find herself a coach. Enter one Yoh Komiyama, a smooth operator and one of the coolest dudes on campus. Yoh has a reputation for being able to read people really well, and so, after some persuading, Haruna gets Yoh to agree to coach her on how to win a guy's heart.

I checked it out on a whim and it quickly became one of my favorite manga series. Personally, I enjoy its sense of humor, the interpersonal relationships between its cast of characters, and especially the irrepressible heroine, Haruna. The artist also has a cool sense of fashion and is very good at drawing funny faces.

But don't take my word for it. Have a look at the most positive bits of the reception blurb on Wikipedia:

Some critics have called it predictable, although I found that more often than not, High School Debut sets up shoujo cliches only to subvert those expectations within the same chapter. There are some elements of the story that you will see coming from many miles away. There are other elements you will not. I think it's a fun ride. Hopefully one of you will check it out, too.

USA Availability:
It's available for digital purchase through VIZ. The first chapter is also available for free if you want to test the waters.

Sounds fantastic. Just one thing to check first - where does it rank on the shoujo romance rapeometer?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

GUITAR VILLAIN posted:

High Schol Debut

USA Availability:

Thanks! I read the first chapter and it seemed pretty great. I'll pick it up on the next Viz sale.

How's Please Save My Earth?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Sounds fantastic. Just one thing to check first - where does it rank on the shoujo romance rapeometer?

Nowhere, actually. After getting burned on so many shoujo mangas with ever-repeating plots and terrible clichés (i kinda liked them for a while... but all the ones i tried randomly were THE SAME) i was kind of hesitant to give it a try.

Color me surprised that this is actually as fantastic as he or she made it sound. Even though it uses quite some clichés of its own, it does use them and develops them instead of going through the motions. I never expected the usual fish-eyed, lanky, stoic and soooo pretty cool~ main guy to a) have a character and b) grow as a character during the story.
And for once, the strong sporty heroine doesn't immediately forget she has muscles the second a guy grabs her hands.

Definitely give it a try.

/e: Wait, there might be one scene that puts it onto the whatever meter? Nothing like that ever gets dramatic, though, because most or all the characters are surprisingly competent and true to life, if a bit dense sometimes.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 27, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Thanks! I read the first chapter and it seemed pretty great. I'll pick it up on the next Viz sale.

How's Please Save My Earth?

Is that the one where the main romance is between a girl in high school and a boy in elementary school?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So on a whim, decided to read Notes from the Garden of Lillies this morning.

It's really good! And made me squee a whole bunch. It isn't near finished, but the slight dom/sub undertones in a story without sex is actually pretty refreshing to this internet kid. Also, the art isn't half bad!

Edit: Also from it, this made my day.

Edit2: Also holy drat, read Resounding Echo. You'll thank me later.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 1, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

Oh a new chapter of Taiyou no Ie just dropped. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-005-Ch-018--Envy?id=158248
It looks like interesting things are going to be happening soon and I for one am excited. I want to know what Daiki told Mao at the end there.

Pochamani is a new series that caught my eye when it was on a list of Japanese bookstore recomendations. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-04/japanese-bookstores-recommend-15-top-manga-of-2013
It's pretty neat to see a chubby girl as the main character and the male lead has possibly the best 'origin story' ever. The side characters are pretty great too. It's cute, funny, and just a little bit saucy. Also the sound effects never cease to amaze me. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Pochamani

Some bad news if you liked Orange http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Orange. Apparently the author has just up and quit with no plans to finish the manga.

Almost forgot but there was a new chapter of Say I Love You yesterday. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Say-I-Love-You/Vol-010-Ch-037-Read-Online?id=158207 Pretty good stuff. The last page absolutely killed me.

coathat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 7, 2013

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Related, as I get a bit of my licensed digital thru Jmanga and I think others here do as well:

quote:

Dear JManga Members and Supporters,

It is our deep regret to inform you that JManga.com will be concluding its retail and viewing services on May 30th 2013.

Below is JManga.com’s Service Termination Schedule.
JManga Point Distribution and Sales Termination:
March 13th 2013 at 11:59pm (US Pacific Time)

Digital Manga Purchasing Service Termination:
March 26th at 11:59pm (US Pacific Time)

Manga Viewing Service Termination:
May 30th at 11:59pm (US Pacific Time)

http://www.jmanga.com/urgent-message

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Oh wow, that's brutal, and abrupt. I'm not really hardline about 'oh no I must have the thing I bought forever' and I'm glad I bought the stuff I did, but even still.

I really applauded some of the niche stuff they pulled in that probably wouldn't have seen any legitimate publishing otherwise, which is basically the entire Yuri subsection, but then other huge stuff like Biscuit Hammer (not Shoujo or Romance but...).

That is utterly bizarre. I can't imagine they weren't profitable given that they were pretty close to the source, so I wonder what's going on, and if anybody will ever find out the details.

edit: Hitting up various sites to find news, still scarce, I know Erica Friedman had a large part in some of the licenses there but even she doesn't know what's up yet: http://okazu.yuricon.com/2013/03/14/jmanga-shutting-down/

edit2: Going to just make a new thread actually, this is newsy enough, I think.

twinight fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 15, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So much for Poor Poor Lips, Girl Friends (time to buy the print volumes I guess), Aoi Hana, and Chatting at the Amber Teahouse. Not to mention the non-romance stuff like Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, SoreMachi, Town of Evening Calm/Country of Cherry Blossoms and more I'm probably forgetting.

Ah well.

In more optimistic news:

quote:

Shueisha's Monthly YOU magazine announced a new romantic comedy series by manga creator Aya Nakahara (Lovely Complex) entitled Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai (Please Love Hopeless Me). The series will launch with a color opening page in the May issue of the magazine on April 15.

Aya Nakahara is known for her romance manga, with her latest work being Junjō Cider that launched in Shueisha's Bessatsu Margaret magazine in 2011. Arguably her most well-known work, the 17-volume Lovely Complex, has been published in English by Viz Media in North America. Viz Pictures also released the manga's live-action film adaptation on DVD.

Hopefully it's both good, and translated into a form I can read if it is.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I think it's time to update the OP, so I want to know:

What is your favorite Shoujo/Romance title, that everyone should read, that totally belongs in the OP?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Baron Snow posted:

I think it's time to update the OP, so I want to know:

What is your favorite Shoujo/Romance title, that everyone should read, that totally belongs in the OP?

Bonnouji

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kimi ni Todoke,Lovely★Complex, and Paradise Kiss. and Aoi Hana

I was thinking that maybe you could get Zorak to throw josei in the title as well since we talk about a lot of that here too.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Lovely★Complex, Kuragehime, and Gokinjo Monogatari.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Speaking of Lovely★Complex, Discotek's bringing the DVD set out in July.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Bonnouji and Jellyfish Princess are the two I'd recommend. Though for some reason it feels like neither has been updated in forever.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Add Taiyou no Ie, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Ore Monogatari!, Banana Fish, Ooku, The Heart of Thomas, Rose of Versailles, Oresama Teacher, Kodomo no Omocha, and Gokusen along with what every body else is saying. drat shoujo manga owns!

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
In addition to what everyone else is saying, Aoi Hana, Wandering Son, and High School Debut.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's been almost a year but a new group picked up Ally of Justice. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/163650/ally-of-justice_v3_ch11_by_random-fan
The story of the worlds biggest bitch continues!

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Bonnouji and Otoyomegatari should be read by everyone. The latter especially.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

That's a ton of stuff I need to look into now! Thanks!

Mine:
Fruits Basket
Kodomo No Omocha (Kodocha)
Yamada's First Time
Kimi Ni Todoke

And not necessarily Shojo, but Romantic Comedy-ish:
Oh! My Goddess!
My Bride is a Mermaid
Cross Manage
Baka Test

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh and since not all shoujo is romance, maybe Sailor Moon too.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'd give a shout out to NANA but since it's not finished yet (and maybe never will be, but Yazawa is drawing again!) I'd highly recommend you put in a spot for Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss which recently got a re-release over here from the fine folks at Vertical who also went and retranslated the thing so Arashi isn't British for some loving reason. It's also one of the bigger size format releases and the art gets the treatment it deserves, unfortunately no colour pages, but I easily got past that, and it's all done in 3 volumes. Highly recommended as it's a fantastic piece of work and the anime was what actually got me interested in Romance/Shoujo/Josei stuff. I can easily do a write-up for it if needed.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Ignoring this discussion for a moment, there's something awfully familiar about this (stupid) plot line.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Most major stuff has been mentioned before, but I'd also throw out Octave and Bitter Virgin, although the latter is technically from a seinen mag, it's still pretty squarely romance. Still somewhat shocking to me that Kei Kusunoki managed to produce it, given the rest of her catalog.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I have no earthly idea if it belongs in the OP, but I've gotta say: I've never been so consistently happy reading a manga as I am when reading Notes from the Garden of Lilies. It probably isn't anything special- and I'm okay with that. I dislike too-unusual romance, but this is just hitting me in so many good places. And the jokes are genuinely funny, which is way too rare in romance manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

twinight posted:

Most major stuff has been mentioned before, but I'd also throw out Octave and Bitter Virgin, although the latter is technically from a seinen mag, it's still pretty squarely romance. Still somewhat shocking to me that Kei Kusunoki managed to produce it, given the rest of her catalog.

I'll second the recommendation for Octave. It was really good.