Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Looks good. Brother None, do you know if you guys are going to do any parallax effect, so that distant background moves at a slightly different rate then the foreground? Seems like that would be a really nice effect.

Did any of the old infinity engine/isometric rpgs do this? can't think of any but that sounds like such an obvious idea now you mention it. given the fantastical environments these games have they're just begging for the sense of scale parallax gives. I'm thinking Bastion as a good visual example.

A man can dream...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Fintilgin posted:

Looks good. Brother None, do you know if you guys are going to do any parallax effect, so that distant background moves at a slightly different rate then the foreground? Seems like that would be a really nice effect.

Parallax scrolling is a pretty classic "trick" of 2.5D. I don't know if it's planned (remember we're in the first stages of experimenting with this stuff and I'm not part of the art team anyway), but we'll certainly look at it.

Sewer-Cover
May 28, 2010
Sorry that was a leak

Sewer-Cover fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 2, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It looks like a werewolf is running up from the bottom at the end. Go Team Jacob!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah that looks really good, but I'm even happier they've decided prerendered backgrounds are worth the cost, even if it doesn't look that good in every location.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That looks good for something that they whipped up really quick. I especially like the way the lighting looks and how it's able to change from brighter to darker, that's definitely something that can give different areas some mood.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I'm more impressed by the smooth animation of the CCJ's cloak - it looks really fluid and doesn't seem to have any clipping issues at all.

Edit: and it's been taken down. Oh well, we'll see it again soon.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 2, 2013

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Video what video never heard of any video what

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

coffeetable posted:

Prerendering doesn't preclude the use of a 3D engine. In fact, it requires one:

What? The IE games (and others from that era, like Crusader and Starcraft) featured 3D pre-rendered backgrounds and characters despite having 100% 2D graphics engines. That image depicts the production process, not the in-game rendering method.

That said, P:E, like Torment, will feature 3D on-the-fly rendered characters and other interactible objects, like PSX-era Final Fantasy.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Pledge till your hands bleed! We need to get to that $4 million stretch goal something fierce!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think we'll be lucky to hit $4 mill at this point. I'm really surprised, but there's not much of an end bump going on, yet. I guess it was unusually front loaded.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

So here's the brand new video NO ONE has seen. Nope. No one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMeQzXZYi7I

I like it, especially the lighting :)

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
No one has seen it NO ONE

Fintilgin posted:

I think we'll be lucky to hit $4 mill at this point. I'm really surprised, but there's not much of an end bump going on, yet. I guess it was unusually front loaded.
Don't give up yet, haha. The ending upcurve is strongest in the final 2-3 days, Monday was a bit quieter than I'd hoped but not disastrously so. Let's see how today goes. I feel we've got some great material and SGs out there, so rather than despair, help us get the word out!

(I sound awfully PR-y above but you know what I mean)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wearable capes confirmed!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

You're kidding me. :stare: I'm just hoping they at least get 4 mil, it would be rather sad if it doesn't. But maybe the stretch goals announcement will actually cause it to reach that absurdly high 4.5 mil goal?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

At this point even the 4 million goal is on pretty shaky grounds. 3.5 days left and there still isn't any spike to be seen. Oh well maybe Dengrel can throw in whatever is needed to reach the 4.5 million goal after the KS is over. :shobon:

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Argh, give us more addons please! Persuade me I don't actually *want* that new HDD I've been eyeing. I've upped my pledge with the new addons but they were few enough that I didn't yet need to get in the HDD funds. You can get more money out of me, please do it!

drat I hope this makes 4.25. Guess I need to figure out how to make a million dollars in 3 days.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Dig deep you people.

Did you know, the average house contains about 400 pounds of copper which is valued at $3.50 a pound?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Now that's an update. Taunting us with all the shiny things we're probably not going to get... Ah well, I'm up $12 for that source book. Shame there wasn't a hardback option or they would have got more blood from my metaphorical stone, but I imagine the licencing of that stuff is a real hassle, even if they are working closely with Monte.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Thrill Cosby posted:

Dig deep you people.

Did you know, the average house contains about 400 pounds of copper which is valued at $3.50 a pound?

I'd be willing to higher myself at least, if there was actually some reasonable tier to up my pledge to. Don't really have any interest in physical stuff and digital side there is a huge cap between the $125 and $350 tiers.

On more positive note I think today's KS is by far the best so far. Lots of solid information and it really made me wish we could somehow reach 4.25 million for the longer story.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Zilkin posted:

At this point even the 4 million goal is on pretty shaky grounds. 3.5 days left and there still isn't any spike to be seen. Oh well maybe Dengrel can throw in whatever is needed to reach the 4.5 million goal after the KS is over. :shobon:

We just raised $7000+ in the past forty minutes.

I think the spike's jutting up now :)

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

You're kidding me. :stare: I'm just hoping they at least get 4 mil, it would be rather sad if it doesn't. But maybe the stretch goals announcement will actually cause it to reach that absurdly high 4.5 mil goal?

I also want the city under water in the middle of a desert very badly. 4 million needs to happen!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It would be nice if the Numera corebook was a digital addon, i had to lower my pledge and i am not really interested in most of the middle tier digital rewards like companion books and beta access

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
I would up my pledge but I would have to give something like $40 extra bucks to get anything I was really interested in. I have a feeling we will be able to hit 4 mil, the goals after that might be a bit iffy though.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Well, that sourcebook got an extra 12 bucks out of me at least. It's been climbing quite rapidly since they updated. I suspect that highlighting the addons helped in that regards.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Do we know who's drawing the comic books? I'm thinking of putting both of them as addons.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, they are Kickstarter-exclusive and can be a good excuse for extra investment.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GhostBoy posted:

Well, that sourcebook got an extra 12 bucks out of me at least. It's been climbing quite rapidly since they updated. I suspect that highlighting the addons helped in that regards.

How do you do an addon? Do you just change your pledge amount without changing the pledge level? I'd like the source book because it seems cool.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Reason posted:

How do you do an addon? Do you just change your pledge amount without changing the pledge level?

Yep, that's right.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Looks like we're probably about $100k away from Chris Avellone [counting Paypal], it would certainly give the campaign a big kick if the update tomorrow was to announce his addition to the project.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, they need to get another media blitz to maximise that last wave.

Oh, and BrotherNone, was the new Patrick Rothfuss stretch goal for a new companion? Or is he just going to be writing one of the existing companions?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I *just* realized that I could use addons to up my pledge amount without jumping from 95$ to 250$, so I got myself a poster.

If anyone is still on the fence about upping, this is a great way and I choose to see it as a different investment moneywise.

edit: haha, seems like I wasn't the only one.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, and BrotherNone, was the new Patrick Rothfuss stretch goal for a new companion? Or is he just going to be writing one of the existing companions?

They said in the update that, while Pat and Kevin have talked about an idea for a companion that Pat came up with, whether they run with that or he is put on an existing one, is up to Colin. So it sounds like it wouldn't increase the number of companions, but may change one if the idea passes muster.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I assume the 200,000(?) that Fargo and Steve Dengler are pitching in count towards the Stretch Goals? If so we've already passed 3.5 million. Not to mention the ~60,000 on Paypal. That actually puts it at around 3.6 million currently, so I guess 4 million is probably in reach if we have a good last few days. Not counting on any more then that though.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The 200k from Fargo and Dengler is a kind of "insurance", supposed to cover any lost pledges, the 10% that goes to kickstarter, that kind of stuff.

e: just noticed on their tumblr, they have another writer: http://betweenfactandfiction.blogspot.com/2013/04/write-for-rpg-pass-go-collect-200-nerd.html
She seems to have only written some unreleased young adult novels, which doesn't really say much about whether she is a good fit for this. I'm hoping Adam Heine knows what he's doing.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 2, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Fintilgin posted:

I assume the 200,000(?) that Fargo and Steve Dengler are pitching in count towards the Stretch Goals?

As far as I know, they don't count towards the stretch goals. They're being used as budget padding in case money gets tight towards the end of development.

^^^^^^beated

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

CottonWolf posted:

Or is the companion going to be Patrick Rothfuss transported to the Torment universe?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

LogicNinja posted:

Or is the companion going to be Patrick Rothfuss transported to the Torment universe?

All the characters of the game will be literal self-inserts of the writers. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LogicNinja posted:

Sex with chicks EVERYWHERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

Sex with chicks EVERYWHERE.

Who could resist that beard?

In all seriousness, it is an impressive beard.

• Locked thread