Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Agean90 posted:

But this combined with all the grognardy poo poo has this from a possible byy to me ignoring it entirely.

Welcome to playing a real strategy game. I hope it even has hexes and takes 2 hours per turn like Grey's WitP Let's Play :getin: Don't be afraid of the grognard. Embrace it. It is... inevitable.

I seriously hope that every single piece of a tank/ship/plane/gun/etc is modeled like a grognard game in EvW.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I don't quite get the doomsaying just yet. "They made a dumb joke and they have questionable priorities about what their DDs should focus on" is really the worst we can say about them so far. I mean, if that's enough for you to not want it, that's fine, but it's a long way from being Magna Mundi.

Sure, maybe it will be poo poo, maybe the way their DDs are going does mean it's just a war game with no real "Cold War" stuff, I don't know, but comparing something to MM should be a horrendous curse cast only on the biggest of shitshows. I'm going to reserve my judgements until the DDs are coming to a close, because I think this may be a case of showing off the flashy cool stuff (i.e., wars and explosions) first to drum up interest. Since they started going into detail on the politics on the last one, I'm going to give it a few more DDs before I make up my mind one way or the other.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Speaking of horrible Paradox games, has anyone played Communist China in Iron Cross? Apparently it has a unique Long March event chain which I would like to check out. But, well, you know, it's Iron Cross. I was quite disappointed with Darkest Hour since it has the CCP starting off in Yan'an in 1933.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I chipped my front tooth reading the evw joke.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I doubt EvW is going to be like Magna Mundi in that it's buggy, crashy mess that isn't even going to be released, but I'm starting to doubt that EvW is going to be a good/realistic representation of Cold War politics. I'm betting somewhere between "too much war" and "too much complexity for little actual realistic outcome"

V for Vegas posted:

Speaking of horrible Paradox games, has anyone played Communist China in Iron Cross? Apparently it has a unique Long March event chain which I would like to check out. But, well, you know, it's Iron Cross. I was quite disappointed with Darkest Hour since it has the CCP starting off in Yan'an in 1933.

The last time I played Iron Cross, Communist China took over all of China, plus kicked the Japanese out of Manchuria and Korea before 1939.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

The last time I played Iron Cross, Communist China took over all of China, plus kicked the Japanese out of Manchuria and Korea before 1939.

Talk about courage pushing bravery. Mao would be proud. :china:

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, I don't quite get the doomsaying just yet. "They made a dumb joke and they have questionable priorities about what their DDs should focus on" is really the worst we can say about them so far. I mean, if that's enough for you to not want it, that's fine, but it's a long way from being Magna Mundi.

The MRA jokingly posted:

Key game elements include:
- Economical income from our ingenious economical system is the same per tick and not reduced in ANY way. Other games of the genre with equally high quality usually only reward women 70% of what their male friends would earn but that is all a distant pale memory.
- The research system contains actual tech and doctrines with military units instead of household appliances
- Enjoy the ship builder and design your own battleships or nuclear submarines without the usual need for a wet t-shirt photo shoot to gain access to such military hardware
- Voting in the UN will yield full points, not in any way reduced to an advisory role or one of being the interpreter for the other delegates
- Cabinet meetings with your government in politics screen will not be limited to you serving coffee and tea to the Head of State and Head of Government
- Unique feature for events where photographs include pictures of all the delegates including women above the usual cap of one woman per photo
- Spy missions will be carried out as instructed via the splendid use of fantastic spy cards instead of consisting of a gathering of spies all trying to get a photo under your skirt or into your cleavage
- Experience time ticks the same way as male gamers where time ticks away at the same rate as for anyone else without delay
- Unique game experience where we give you ALL the keys to your own nuclear arsenal not requiring your brothers, husband or uncles to hold a second key for you to be able to launch
- We’re also for the first time removing the demand for you to be wearing a uniform when playing the game. Instead you can just wear any regular power suit like our male gamers.

They suuuuure did :stare:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I'm trying to get my steam version of EU: Rome to run outside of Program Files (which seems to the be one of the only ways to get Reign of the Ancients working these days :(), but whenever I move the game directory to C:\euromeblahblah, I get Application Load Errors when trying to launch the game. I think this is some sort of registry problem, but I can't find a working solution - does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Economical income from our ingenious economical system" who taught this champ how to write English? That whole post is a loving embarrassment.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Vegetable posted:

"Economical income from our ingenious economical system" who taught this champ how to write English? That whole post is a loving embarrassment.

I don't know, I rather like the idea of humanity "tittering on the brink of annihilation."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I haven't religiously been following the development diaries, but has there even been that much information released about the game so far? There have been a couple of warning signs, but the 'absolute poo poo would not buy 0/10' reactions seem like the usual goon hyperbole.

Vegetable posted:

It's not that bad. Except maybe for this one:

quote:

Experience time ticks the same way as male gamers where time ticks away at the same rate as for anyone else without delay

I get what they're trying to say, but still...what?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 2, 2013

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I wouldn't be too concerned about the sometimes poor English you see in dev diaries. Even games developed by PDS have odd syntax in their dev diaries, and the guys making EvW are basically a glorified mod team, you can't expect everyone working on the game to have perfect English. The entire April Fools joke was a poo poo idea (especially compared to the awesome EU4 one~), but on the Paradox Crisis Scale from Capitalists Builds a Factroy to Ubik Takes Over Clausewitz Engine, this rates pretty low.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BBJoey posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the sometimes poor English you see in dev diaries. Even games developed by PDS have odd syntax in their dev diaries, and the guys making EvW are basically a glorified mod team, you can't expect everyone working on the game to have perfect English. The entire April Fools joke was a poo poo idea (especially compared to the awesome EU4 one~), but on the Paradox Crisis Scale from Capitalists Builds a Factroy to Ubik Takes Over Clausewitz Engine, this rates pretty low.
If it was only odd syntax I doubt people would be commenting, it's the fact that someone who clearly does not have a solid grasp of the language is trying to write in a style that a lot of native speakers can't even pull off that well. That doesn't speak well to knowing your limits, and knowing your limits is pretty drat important. Ubik didn't know his limits, and look what happened to Magna Mundi. Then of course there's the way the game seems to focus on weird stuff, or at least the developers focusing on it in their presentation, which also sets off alarm bells. Sure, it might not be proof that it's as bad as Magna Mundi, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near Magna Mundi to be poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I have a Spotify playlist called "Mapgame" that is basically just a bunch of World War One/World War Two period music that I listen to while I play HoI/DH/Vicky2. I popped open Last.fm and apparently like three of my top 8 artists are now random singers from the 30s and 40s.

Paradox has taken my nerdery to new levels.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
So the best argument in favour of EvW right now is 'well they might show us some good stuff at some point in the future?' Sadly that's not a massively convincing argument, particularly as everything we have scene gives is no indication that this good stuff is actually coming- they're clearly far more interested in weapons minutiae than the political/espionage aspects of the Cold War.You know, that stuff that makes the Cold War the Cold War. And honestly what we've seen of the political system was so badly explained that I'm not 100% sure how it actually works. Magna Mundi comparisons are hyperbole sure but I don't think the bar for a decent game should be set at 'did not implode as spectacularly as Magna Mundi'.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If it was only odd syntax I doubt people would be commenting, it's the fact that someone who clearly does not have a solid grasp of the language is trying to write in a style that a lot of native speakers can't even pull off that well. That doesn't speak well to knowing your limits, and knowing your limits is pretty drat important. Ubik didn't know his limits, and look what happened to Magna Mundi. Then of course there's the way the game seems to focus on weird stuff, or at least the developers focusing on it in their presentation, which also sets off alarm bells. Sure, it might not be proof that it's as bad as Magna Mundi, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near Magna Mundi to be poo poo.

I can't believe this is a real post. The person doesn't write English at a level you find appropriate so the entire team is bad at their job? For a thread that just got up in arms about a joke satirizing attitudes towards women in the timeframe this game takes place, the suddenly claimed correlation between English and competency is shocking. I think everyone should step away from the ledge when it comes to East vs. West. I understand being skeptical because of the dev diaries, but to say its completely off your radar now, after seeing a small fraction of the game, is just overreacting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sheriff posted:

I can't believe this is a real post. The person doesn't write English at a level you find appropriate so the entire team is bad at their job? For a thread that just got up in arms about a joke satirizing attitudes towards women in the timeframe this game takes place, the suddenly claimed correlation between English and competency is shocking. I think everyone should step away from the ledge when it comes to East vs. West. I understand being skeptical because of the dev diaries, but to say its completely off your radar now, after seeing a small fraction of the game, is just overreacting.

He's saying that the developers' failed attempt at satire revealed a certain lack of self-awareness, and that this could indicate that they don't know their own limits. It's a bit of a stretch, but he's not saying that you need to speak perfect English in order to develop a good game. In fact, I think A Buttery Pastry is Danish himself.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

He's saying that the developers' failed attempt at satire revealed a certain lack of self-awareness, and that this could indicate that they don't know their own limits. It's a bit of a stretch, but he's not saying that you need to speak perfect English in order to develop a good game. In fact, I think A Buttery Pastry is Danish himself.
Yep. I'm not attempting to show a correlation between proficiency at English and competence at creating a game, that would be pretty drat silly. It's just my experience that lack of self-awareness when it came to your level of proficiency in one field often translated to another, and this lack was most readily apparent in people's English skills. Yeah, it's not at all indicative of the entire team, and it might just be a fluke, but that's just the signals I'm getting. And yeah, I'm Danish, so I don't think I'm an English-chauvinist.

As for this not indicating problems with the entire team, that's absolutely true, but it doesn't need to. Again, Magna Mundi seems to have had a bunch of team members frantically trying to get more Paradox oversight because they realized something was terribly wrong, but a few key players basically hosed the whole thing up on their own. I'm not saying that it's absolutely going to be the case, maybe the game is going to be fine/fantastic, I'm just not holding out hope anymore.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Drone posted:

So I have a Spotify playlist called "Mapgame" that is basically just a bunch of World War One/World War Two period music that I listen to while I play HoI/DH/Vicky2. I popped open Last.fm and apparently like three of my top 8 artists are now random singers from the 30s and 40s.

Paradox has taken my nerdery to new levels.

Do you happen to have a link to that playlist? I could really go for something like that too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you happen to have a link to that playlist? I could really go for something like that too.

This work? It's still a work-in-progress, but I'm adding more.

http://open.spotify.com/user/sa_drone/playlist/5vINbatDHPib4oO6U0R3a0

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Drone posted:

This work? It's still a work-in-progress, but I'm adding more.

http://open.spotify.com/user/sa_drone/playlist/5vINbatDHPib4oO6U0R3a0

Perfect! Thanks!

If anyone else has any playlists they use for paradox or grandstrategy games you should probably post it here too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rannos22 posted:

They suuuuure did :stare:

Are you seriously not getting the joke here?

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Fister Roboto posted:

Are you seriously not getting the joke here?

Yeah I get that the joke is that both versions are the same. Because "haha, women are supposed to be wearing pink in the kitchen not playing GAMES!"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Apparently every team made an April Fools joke of their own and, of course, not all of them work. The zombies expansion for Crusader Kings is in between lazy joke and something that may actually happen. The East vs West one, well, caused a large derrail in here but anyone can see why it was bad. It is however tragic that their Musical video has less than 7000 views. That one has actual effort and is original and, yet, nearly nobody noticed it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rannos22 posted:

Yeah I get that the joke is that both versions are the same. Because "haha, women are supposed to be wearing pink in the kitchen not playing GAMES!"

See I thought it was "haha, other companies try to make products 'for women' by making them pink and frilly because that's what they think women like." But I guess you're right, whoever wrote that is totally a MRA redditor atheist pedophile or whatever.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Hey Paradox Devs, getting away from the April Fools debacle, have you thought of renaming the West African Paganism religion group to Yorubaism? It fits, pretty much. Plus it leads to more colorful events, there's plenty of information around on rites and ceremonies of that religion. Could probably get a more sensible looking symbol for the region too, not to meant religion-head names for reformed branches when the Old Gods comes out.

They're the only pagans just called "pagans" now, and it looks a bit silly.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 2, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah having a Pagan religion just irks me. It would be like having Miaphysite just being called "Christian". I know that west Africa did not have just one religion everyone was, but if you could at least find one major pagan religion in the area that was big around this time it would be cool.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nitrousoxide posted:

Perfect! Thanks!

If anyone else has any playlists they use for paradox or grandstrategy games you should probably post it here too.

Echoing this, since my mailbox just got spammed by a bunch of people following my Mapgame playlist. Not that it's unwelcome or anything, but I want to add more stuff to it and I have no idea where to start. It also doesn't help that Spotify's non-English selection isn't... great. I'd love more French stuff besides Edith Piaf, and more German stuff.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

Hey Paradox Devs, getting away from the April Fools debacle, have you thought of renaming the West African Paganism religion group to Yorubaism? It fits, pretty much. Plus it leads to more colorful events, there's plenty of information around on rites and ceremonies of that religion. Could probably get a more sensible looking symbol for the region too, not to meant religion-head names for reformed branches when the Old Gods comes out.

They're the only pagans just called "pagans" now, and it looks a bit silly.

West Africans get their own religion in TOG.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

West Africans get their own religion in TOG.

Yeah, I saw that a moment before now as I looked at a page previous in the CK2 thread. Well that's pretty cool, are there some flavored events for those regions too? I know divination and telling of fortune are pretty central to some faiths, such as Yorubaism, in that region. Anything like that might be cool.

Something like "The priest have foreseen you are destined for greatness" and you get a high percent chance for Pride and a smaller chance for Ambitious.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

It is however tragic that their Musical video has less than 7000 views. That one has actual effort and is original and, yet, nearly nobody noticed it.
Well I just watched it, and now I'm sad that we aren't going to be seeing it at the Eurovision contest here in May. Some of it is legitimately contender material, even if that says more about Eurovision than the musical.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I feel like getting back into Paradox games now that I supposedly have time. I got the basics of Hoi3 and CK2 still melts my brain. My buddy told me that March of the Eagles is the "easiest" paradox game so far. As in, easy to learn but still is challenging that is. Is this true? Since it would be nice to play a Paradox game that isn't Hoi3 without having to watch two hours of video tutorials on youtube.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Torabi posted:

I feel like getting back into Paradox games now that I supposedly have time. I got the basics of Hoi3 and CK2 still melts my brain. My buddy told me that March of the Eagles is the "easiest" paradox game so far. As in, easy to learn but still is challenging that is. Is this true? Since it would be nice to play a Paradox game that isn't Hoi3 without having to watch two hours of video tutorials on youtube.

Yeah, if you can understand HoI3, MotE will be no problem. Each button on the interface has a tiny button next to it describing what exactly it does and what effect that has on the game. It is easily the most accessible game they've made yet.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Yeah, if you can understand HoI3, MotE will be no problem. Each button on the interface has a tiny button next to it describing what exactly it does and what effect that has on the game. It is easily the most accessible game they've made yet.

I just noticed the game has a demo. So I'll give that a go.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Torabi posted:

Wait, you get Hoi3 but CK2 "melts your brain"? I think you are opposite me.

And yeah March of the Eagles is pretty accessible, but there isn't much to it than war, and the war isn't as complex as something like HOI so it's kinda shallow if you ask me. I'd try sticking with CK2, even if things go wrong it's pretty fun to just go with the crazy flow of things.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fister Roboto posted:

But I guess you're right, whoever wrote that is totally a MRA redditor atheist pedophile or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that's unironically right.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So the preorder bonus for HoD is Victoria? Does anyone buying a V2 expansion not already have that?

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
Hell, I had two copies of Vicky before I preordered. (Stardock :argh: )

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Sheriff posted:

I can see beyond their terrible presentation and into the ridiculous mess that is the political model. It's just a bunch of bullshit with no unifying logic. That's what I'm worried about, that what they're showing us is so messy that it's signalling in a big way that they have no idea what they're doing. Go over that political DD again, puzzle out what they're trying to say, and then marry that with the four months they spent building that mess. It has nothing to do with style (well, it still has something to do with style but it's understandable because Danes), and everything to do with the lack of substance.

These guys do one DD a month. In almost half a year we haven't seen anything of this game that looks promising. Just the slim hope of "maybe they're just bad at marketing but the game's really good."

Saoshyant posted:

Apparently every team made an April Fools joke of their own and, of course, not all of them work. The zombies expansion for Crusader Kings is in between lazy joke and something that may actually happen. The East vs West one, well, caused a large derrail in here but anyone can see why it was bad. It is however tragic that their Musical video has less than 7000 views. That one has actual effort and is original and, yet, nearly nobody noticed it.
I couldn't make it past thirty seconds. It was a nice idea and the presentation was okay, but it sounded so bad and so very, very Swedish :negative:
Maybe I'm just a snob because I work in ~~theatre~~. That's probably it. I'm why we can't have nice things :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Was it ever addressed why, in EU Rome, there was only ever ONE Consul? I can't believe I never noticed this before (I never really played as Rome). It has to be a hard-coded limitation, right? It seems kind of bizarre.

• Locked thread