Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bam Bam was the best person to put with LT who, in his defense, worked his butt off in that match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

LightsGameraAction posted:

So basically if I understand correctly he had a good look and was good at playing politics? Alright.

This is going to sound really counter-intuitive, but part of Sid's success was that he was so utterly hopless at playing politics that politicians loved having him in high spots on the card. As far as the clique was concerned when he was near the top of the card it meant that someone who could concievably be a threat (be it Bret, Taker or even Bam Bam) was not in his spot.

Basically the secret of his success was that he was useless.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I recall hearing a story about how McMahon used to go on and on to Sid about how he wanted him to be the next Hogan in 1991, and how he was gonna push him to the moon, and Sid kinda just shrugged and said "Eh, I see myself a big monster heel, Vince." And no matter how enthusiastic Vince was, or what he promised him, Sid just kept saying "I don't know, I just wanna be a monster heel."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The other thing to remember about Sid is that he sometimes gets a little undersold. If professional wrestling didn't involve wrestling, cutting promo's, walking to the ring, throwing punches or being able to co-ordinate two things at once like thinking and talking, then Sid would have been one of the all time greats. Getting over with the single skill of being big is actually tougher than it looks, as proven by the careers of Kurrgan, Giant Gonzales and the Great Khali.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Shawn was really lame in 1996 too so it helped being a big guy who destroyed people against him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The match where he beat Michaels for the title was pretty amazing, and it wasn't just because of Shawn.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

The other thing to remember about Sid is that he sometimes gets a little undersold. If professional wrestling didn't involve wrestling, cutting promo's, walking to the ring, throwing punches or being able to co-ordinate two things at once like thinking and talking, then Sid would have been one of the all time greats. Getting over with the single skill of being big is actually tougher than it looks, as proven by the careers of Kurrgan, Giant Gonzales and the Great Khali.

People like crazy promos and powerbombs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has there ever been a main event feud over the tag titles (WWF/E or WCW) - where an established tag team fought two main event guys?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Would Rhodes and Ted vs DX count or I guess it was the Jericho/show tag team in 09? 10? Which was maybe the last time apart from the brief period last summer where the tag titles were relevant.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
Anyone remember in what segment Brad Maddox talked about an "in the ring match"?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Red posted:

Has there ever been a main event feud over the tag titles (WWF/E or WCW) - where an established tag team fought two main event guys?

Doom vs Flair and Arn was a great feud in WCW. The highlight of it was that Flair was portrayed as the weak link in the tag matches because the other three guys had much more experience at it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Puseklepp posted:

Anyone remember in what segment Brad Maddox talked about an "in the ring match"?

It was a WWE app segment where he talked to Matt Striker about his plans for Raw: CM Punk v. John Cena in an In The Ring Match(this is from the Raw with that Punk/Cena MOTYC from February.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Puseklepp posted:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/brad-maddox-checks-in-on-matt-striker-and-the-wwe-active-set-wwe-app-exclusive-26094392

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!

GB888 posted:

The multiple "main events" thing didn't start until the brand split, but Bobby Heenan managed wrestlers in three separate matches during Wrestlemania III.

It did use to happen, though admittedly not often. Wrestlemania 8 was billed as a "special double main event" of Savage vs Flair for the title and Sid vs Hogan - which I think was based around Hogan possibly retiring. Though I'm struggling to think of any others.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Jayou posted:

It did use to happen, though admittedly not often. Wrestlemania 8 was billed as a "special double main event" of Savage vs Flair for the title and Sid vs Hogan - which I think was based around Hogan possibly retiring. Though I'm struggling to think of any others.

I'm pretty sure the main reason they did this was because it was originally going to be Hogan/Flair and they had to change it up, so making it a double main event saved face for everyone.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

There was the time Nexus killed the Undertaker live on PPV and then Wade was like "Soon we will explain our plot" and they never touched it again.

A bit late, but I think the Nexus made some sort of deal with Kane. They help him and he helps them.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wasn't Wrestlemania II booked with a "main event" in each city, with the NFL Battle Royal, Piper/Mr. T, and Hogan/Bundy?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

RoleModel posted:

A bit late, but I think the Nexus made some sort of deal with Kane. They help him and he helps them.

Yes but it was explicitly stated that Nexus got something out of the deal, and the next night(or week?) on Raw Otunga threatened Barrett with exposing the reason why they decided to help Kane beat the Undertaker. The reason why, and any kind of repayment from Kane never took place.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

nasboat posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason they did this was because it was originally going to be Hogan/Flair and they had to change it up, so making it a double main event saved face for everyone.

It was going to be Sid/Hogan at Mania 8 all along. They were going to do Flair/Hogan as a program too but it didn't do well at the houses on a trial run as business or in the ring so they never even bothered with it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Red posted:

Does the Brothers of Destruction vs. The Two Man Power Trip count? It wasn't entirely about the tag titles, since the WWF and IC titles were also involved, but that tag match main evented Backlash in 2001.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rock and Sock feuded with the Outlaws back in the fall of '99 and the titles flipped back and forth between them a couple times.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

It was going to be Sid/Hogan at Mania 8 all along. They were going to do Flair/Hogan as a program too but it didn't do well at the houses on a trial run as business or in the ring so they never even bothered with it.

I knew that the Flair/Hogan house show run (which I believe was on the west coast in early '92, correct?) was underwhelming and the reason that they chose to switch up behind the scenes, but I saw some thing recently that made me think I had forgotten something about it. I was watching the 'Story of Wrestlemania' documentary, which was generally very truthful and frank about things (and even mentioned that the test runs of Flair/Hogan were underwhelming when discussing WM8), but they showed a clip of some press conference with Hogan, Savage, Flair and Sid all up at a podium, and they announced that Hogan was getting a title shot at WM. The rest were angry, Sid in particular. Then they showed the TV clips when they announced they were switching and making it a 'double main event' a few weeks later.

Do you remember that press conference and if they ever actually announced Flair/Hogan for WM8? Because that's how I took that clip. Seemed to be sometime after RR '92.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Red posted:

In Your House 3, with Owen/Yoko (established team with the tag belts) facing HBK/Nash, who were the IC and World champs respectively. The stips were that if Shawn/Diesel won, they'd get Owen/Yoko's tag titles, but if Owen/Yoko won, whoever got the pinfall would win the pin-ee's title. Davey Boy subbed for Owen in the match, and even though he and Yoko lost and the tag belts were awarded to HBK/Nash, they reversed the finish on Raw and everyone kept their titles in the end.

WWF in 1995, everyone!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Owen ran in on that match, Nash immediately pinned him...but Owen wasn't actually in that match, Davey Boy was. Uh.

FirmMag
Jul 26, 2009
WM 29 is $70 this year for the HD ppv. I remember paying $30 for wwf/wcw shows & $20 for ecw in the '90's. When did the ppv price take such a dramatic leap?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FirmMag posted:

WM 29 is $70 this year for the HD ppv. I remember paying $30 for wwf/wcw shows & $20 for ecw in the '90's. When did the ppv price take such a dramatic leap?

It hasn't really been that dramatic. WWF PPVs went to $35 when WCW died, $40 a few years later then $45 in 07 or 08 with HD being $10 more. WM has always been more expensive and with the biggest boxing PPVs hitting $70, WWE decided to go for it too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

nasboat posted:

I knew that the Flair/Hogan house show run (which I believe was on the west coast in early '92, correct?) was underwhelming and the reason that they chose to switch up behind the scenes, but I saw some thing recently that made me think I had forgotten something about it. I was watching the 'Story of Wrestlemania' documentary, which was generally very truthful and frank about things (and even mentioned that the test runs of Flair/Hogan were underwhelming when discussing WM8), but they showed a clip of some press conference with Hogan, Savage, Flair and Sid all up at a podium, and they announced that Hogan was getting a title shot at WM. The rest were angry, Sid in particular. Then they showed the TV clips when they announced they were switching and making it a 'double main event' a few weeks later.

Do you remember that press conference and if they ever actually announced Flair/Hogan for WM8? Because that's how I took that clip. Seemed to be sometime after RR '92.

Yes, they announced at that press conference that it would be Hogan vs. Flair at Wrestlemania and then they changed it a few weeks later, but that was all part of the angle. They already knew when they shot that press conference that they were going to change it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

nasboat posted:

Hogan was announced as the number one contender, further infuriating the turning Sid Justice. After walking out on Hogan in a tag match, Sid did a weak attempt at a beatdown on Brutus Beefcake and destroyed the Barber Shop set, which led to Hogan deciding that getting vengeance for Sid's betrayals and attack on Brother Bruti was more important than the title, brother. Meanwhile they had Savage beat every upper-mid or lower heel on the roster (including Jake Roberts twice around the house show circuit) with his move to rationalize giving him the shot so close to his "unretirement."

oldfan fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 3, 2013

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8l64Ip2JE

Is this the 5 star match between Dynamite Kid and Tiger Mask? I've seen it claimed as the 21st of April and 23rd April is this just confusion over the date or is it a completely different match from this one?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have no idea if that's the match, but the date is April 23 according to the wiki page for Dave's five-star matches

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I hope this is okay to ask.

The day I got married, I posted in some other version of this thread (I think. May have been a WWE discussion thread) and thanked you all for arguing with me about stupid dogshit for years and years. It was August of 2010.

I don't have Archives, and the money I would use to buy the upgrade is going to go to somebody else for fulfilling this loving humiliating request:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542040,

so I was hoping one of you with archives could find the post I made. I can't offer anything but my gratitude and the promise of a pretty lady's smile.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Knowing the exact date would make it a lot easier. I'm just the right amount of drunk right now that I went through all of your PSP posts from August 2010 and there wasn't anything like that in there,

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LividLiquid posted:

I hope this is okay to ask.

I used http://saas.liarpedia.org/ and found it ;)

quote:

We don't have a derail thread like BSS and the Gentleman's Club was shut down long ago but I figured it'd be funny to post in this thread given its title; I'm in Vegas and I got all married today and the wife's asleep and after two hours of internet thank-you's to people I actually know, I just wanted to thank you all for arguing with me about wrestling for like four years now without ever really actually pissing me off in any way but the total hyperbole, for-comedy's-sake way. (Most of the time)

No need for a long derail about it, but thank you all.

Loves me some Wrestlehut.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270405&pagenumber=35&perpage=40#post380893297 (obviously you can't see this without archives)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Name the firstborn Strenuous Manflurry in thanks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Name the firstborn Strenuous Manflurry in thanks.

Naming your son Sue would be a better idea and the kid would be bullied less.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Name the kid Banjo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you so much! I told my wife about doing this a while back and she laughed her rear end off at me being a huge dork, so I figured photographic evidence would produce another, similar response.

You, sir, are awesome.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LividLiquid posted:

Thank you so much! I told my wife about doing this a while back and she laughed her rear end off at me being a huge dork, so I figured photographic evidence would produce another, similar response.

You, sir, are awesome.

Hey, no problem. Just name your kid after me, should you plan on making one. Thanks!

Wrestling question: what are the noticeable mishaps with throwing fire in wrestling? All I can think of damage-wise is Sinister Minister blowing his hand to poo poo in an ECW promo, and on the opposite side of the spectrum was Hogan/Warrior 2. There have gotta be a million other things.

Open the question up to fire mishaps in general.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hey, no problem. Just name your kid after me, should you plan on making one. Thanks!

Wrestling question: what are the noticeable mishaps with throwing fire in wrestling? All I can think of damage-wise is Sinister Minister blowing his hand to poo poo in an ECW promo, and on the opposite side of the spectrum was Hogan/Warrior 2. There have gotta be a million other things.

There was the fire chair incident involving Terry Funk and Cactus Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I think there was a reasonably famous deathmatch Sabu was in where they wanted to set the ropes on fire but it burned out of control and nobody in the ring could breathe and then they had to evacuate and call it off before the whole ring burned down

-edit-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3s-4e4AJsg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

oatgan fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 4, 2013