Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reis
Sep 11, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

As long as I get to hear one of the japanese VA shout "Perkele" and possibly some sauna jokes I'd be all for it.
Jormungand had one character shout "hakkaa päälle" so it's obvious that they'd need to go the next step here.

http://youtu.be/jRLrhI1iXAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
For all of the amazing things that happened, this was the ultimate payoff for me.

Saemonza opened her other eye!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Command Ant posted:

For all of the amazing things that happened, this was the ultimate payoff for me.

Saemonza opened her other eye!

The warmachine springs to life, opens up one eager eye.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just got "War of the Human Tanks"

Girls und Panzer is a serious series. The characters are far away from sterotypes and in no way pandering. The battles and tanks are realistic and threated seriously.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So, favorite team? I liked Saunders. Dirty tactics from the flag tank, the leader being all fighting fair, and the awesome marksman.

e: Rewatching the episode where the Instructor combat airdrops in on top of a Ferrari F40 to say hi, I realised her tank is a Type-10, which is a brand new model. Very cool.

Falken fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 1, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I want to drink what Darjeeling is drinking all the time. Seems to be very relaxing. Suspiciously relaxing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I want to drink what Darjeeling is drinking all the time. Seems to be very relaxing. Suspiciously relaxing.

Tea has that effect on you. I should know, I'm British.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Falken posted:

So, favorite team? I liked Saunders. Dirty tactics from the flag tank, the leader being all fighting fair, and the awesome marksman.

e: Rewatching the episode where the Instructor combat airdrops in on top of a Ferrari F40 to say hi, I realised her tank is a Type-10, which is a brand new model. Very cool.

Hey, I wonder if that means in the GuP-verse that in high school you play in WW2 tanks, college you get Cold War equipment, and the professional sports players are all in the very best modern gear. In which case the Instructor is basically like a Pro Quarterback coming in to give pointers to a high school team. And also that grade schoolers are driving WWI tanks?

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To be fair, if I wanted tanks that would be relatively safe (In as far as Sensha-do could ever be safe, IE never) for a bunch of grade schoolers to operate and maintain I would be picking from the most reliable of WWI's and the interwar period's armoured vehicle selections, rather than WWII.
But that is just opinions based on what little I know rather than actual tanksperg oh god why am I even discussing this seriously what has GuP done to me

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Welcome to the post-season. Also, is another season confirmed in production after the OVA's, or what?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
No official word yet. However, the DVD/BD sales are doing well so a second season is plausible.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Hey, I wonder if that means in the GuP-verse that in high school you play in WW2 tanks, college you get Cold War equipment, and the professional sports players are all in the very best modern gear. In which case the Instructor is basically like a Pro Quarterback coming in to give pointers to a high school team. And also that grade schoolers are driving WWI tanks?
That is what I figured actually. I wonder if the more advanced grades use other vehicles? The Black Forest team did have a Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 available to them. Would be bitchin' as gently caress to see an AH-64 and Mi-24 going at it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Falken posted:

That is what I figured actually. I wonder if the more advanced grades use other vehicles? The Black Forest team did have a Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 available to them. Would be bitchin' as gently caress to see an AH-64 and Mi-24 going at it.

Planes are a hell of a lot more fragile than tanks though. If one gets disabled, they don't just pop a little white flag like tanks; they crash into the ground in a giant fireball instead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Artificer posted:

Planes are a hell of a lot more fragile than tanks though. If one gets disabled, they don't just pop a little white flag like tanks; they crash into the ground in a giant fireball instead.

Or pop an adorably decorated parachute and float safely to earth, maybe?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Snowy posted:

Or pop an adorably decorated parachute and float safely to earth, maybe?

That is also a possibility, true...

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Don't real life dogfighting schools have planes release smoke when they get a hit?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Any of you guys play World of Tanks? I'm just downloading the client now as I seem to have an itch for WW2 Tank battles.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

jng2058 posted:

Why we go all the way and have entire infantry platoons of young high school girls fighting for the title of national champions(or in the case of Pravda High School entire regiments).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
World of Tanks game thread take a look.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Wind Tempest posted:

Why we go all the way and have entire infantry platoons of young high school girls fighting for the title of national champions(or in the case of Pravda High School entire regiments).

Ah, so you go all Upotte, eh? Fair enough.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Well, you know that mecha musume thing? Kind of like that, except...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. I mean, after Strike Witches I probably should have, but I hadn't.

Nice art.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is it any good?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

It's excellent light fun, perfect for recovery.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

DerLeo posted:

It's excellent light fun, perfect for recovery.

Ahahah. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
About Upotte:

quote:

The first problem, then, is the rampant, out-of-control fan service. This series makes a big deal about correlating various parts of firearms machinery with the female anatomy, and these girls are often heard talking about "their triggers going off". This is one of the least graceful euphemisms for genitalia I've ever encountered in a non-hentai title, and leads to a lot of unfortunate implications about what's really going on when you see them actually shooting at each other. Another egregious scene near the beginning has Funco's skeleton stock being visualized as "T-back" thong panties. The fan service gets incredibly bad near the middle, where one of the (temporary) antagonists, Sako (a Finnish SAKO Rk 95 Tp which is essentially a reverse-engineered AK-47 on serious steroids ... and an offensive maniac lesbian archetype straight out of the 90s) is seen visibly getting off on shooting the other girls, which is about the point this show jumps every cartilaginous fish in the book. Remember, these are middle schoolers, and if the idea of seeing them in their undergarments (or less) bothers you then I suggest running as far in the opposite direction as possible.

http://themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1460

The fact that I had read this review is why I didn't start watching Upotte even though I loved Girls und Panzer.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Perhaps not, then.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Artificer posted:

Perhaps not, then.

If you can get past the fanservice, it's pretty decent. Again, If. The manga is a touch better about the fanservice though if I remember correctly and it's a decent read.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

After playing World of Tanks for a bit, I guess I need to get a 38(t) or a Hetzer. Because my aim is loving atrocious.

e: Wow, just watched OVA special 2... Was a little surprised to see a Monty Python sketch making it in.

e2: Rewatching the series, the end of episode 7 was like a WWE Squash match or something. "Oh yeah, Anzio. Here's a shot of them utterly defeated.".

Falken fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 4, 2013

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Falken posted:

Because my aim is loving atrocious.
Just keep firing. :v:

The early tanks all pretty much suck apart from a few exceptions. Once you get to tier 3 or so, and start spending maybe 5-10 games in the same tank, consider upgrading your crew to 75% for credits, it really helps with mobility and accuracy.

I still need to watch OVA3, it looks like a relief from the fanservicey OVAs. Though perhaps resulting in less hijinks. It's kind of dumb, but i'm still worried that there won't be another season. I just don't trust the publishing companies/studios to get it right for once.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Wallrod posted:

Just keep firing. :v:

The early tanks all pretty much suck apart from a few exceptions. Once you get to tier 3 or so, and start spending maybe 5-10 games in the same tank, consider upgrading your crew to 75% for credits, it really helps with mobility and accuracy.

I still need to watch OVA3, it looks like a relief from the fanservicey OVAs. Though perhaps resulting in less hijinks. It's kind of dumb, but i'm still worried that there won't be another season. I just don't trust the publishing companies/studios to get it right for once.
OVA3 was all about the nature of the School battleship/carrier things. There is a bit of fanservice at the very end though. :(

One thing I'd love to see for a season 2 would be a large scale battle tournament. Two schools are teamed together to fight another two, with a limit of say 25 tanks total. It'd be hilarious to see Black Forest Peak and Oorai paired up against St. Gloriana and Pravda.

Also yeah, I've gotten much much better at WoT. Currently driving around in a Hetzer with a 105mm loaded with HEAT rounds. Too much fun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I'd like to see artillery placed into matches alongside TDs and tanks. Why yes I do play World of Tanks, why do you ask? :v:

High Explosive rounds seem dangerous though, what with our daring protagonists's love for being outside the command hatch like a good commander should be.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The show really requires you to suspend disbelief on that account. The protagonists have been on the recieving end of machine gun fire and were exposing themselves to it. Plus, in the climax of the Saunders round, the volleyball team's Type 89 explodes violently when hit, and one of the crew is seen putting a fire out in the cockpit. Wouldn't want that to reach the ammo stores...

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Falken posted:

The show really requires you to suspend disbelief on that account. The protagonists have been on the recieving end of machine gun fire and were exposing themselves to it. Plus, in the climax of the Saunders round, the volleyball team's Type 89 explodes violently when hit, and one of the crew is seen putting a fire out in the cockpit. Wouldn't want that to reach the ammo stores...

Carbon coating~

Carbon coating everywhere~

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
At the start of the series, they almost fell off a bridge and into a valley. I'm pretty sure carbon coating won't save you from that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nope, that's the answer. Coated in carbon. Cliff face? Coated in carbon. Schoolgirl outfit? Coated in carbon. Miho's unprotected face and hair? Coated in carbon! That's why Miho got kicked out of her original school, you see. The girls in the other tank were in no danger, because even the ocean was coated in muthafuckin' carbon!! :argh:

Ooorrrr....we apply Hodgson's law, remember its just a silly little show, and try not to think too hard about it. :shrug:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The fall from that distance is quite survivable when your inside a falling brick due to air resistance.

Poking your head outside of the turret and not receiving a shell to the face is just lay back and remember its just a show. :shobon:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
They should do an episode where there's a controversy about tankery being dangerous, just like there is with football today.

Also, don't think too hard about why there were so many bombed-out buildings in the final match.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The Monkey Man posted:

They should do an episode where there's a controversy about tankery being dangerous, just like there is with football today.

Also, don't think too hard about why there were so many bombed-out buildings in the final match.

It's what happened when a practice match happened and they forgot the carbon coating on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTm0KDHbu8

I enjoyed the hell out of this video for some reason.

• Locked thread