Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
C'mon people, WiiU thread. I know there's not that much to talk about but let's try to leave the discussion to WiiU stuff only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Louisgod posted:

C'mon people, WiiU thread. I know there's not that much to talk about but let's try to leave the discussion to WiiU stuff only.

Like?

I understand your reasoning for wanting to keep the threads somewhat clutter free but there really isn't much to talk about, also you tend to get a really diverse set opinions here in regards to individual titles.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Like?

I understand your reasoning for wanting to keep the threads somewhat clutter free but there really isn't much to talk about, also you tend to get a really diverse set opinions here in regards to individual titles.

Probably because people like me who have abandoned this thread for months because of all the nonstop doom , gloom and armchair analysis. That poo poo gets old after maybe 3 pages.

That said, I'm lovin the gently caress out of my Wii U now that I have a HDTV in the office. If only monster hunter were in 3d :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My favorite Wii U game is thick layer of dust.

My younger sister came over last week and tried Nintendo Land. It was funny watching her bomb out on Octopus because she kept looking at the vidscreen of herself. Then it turned out she totally blew past my high score :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I never played mine until I scored a bunch of games for $15 and picked up MonHun & Lego. As of recent aside from my retro systems it has had the most play time of all my other latest generation consoles and my pc.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alteisen posted:

Like?

If there's nothing WiiU specific to talk about then maybe.. people shouldn't post, I guess? Wii specific stuff is fine since it coincides with owning a WiiU but that doesn't mean we should fill the void with idle chit chat, and I saw a potential derail beginning.

edit: To add to the WiiU discussion, I haven't touched mine in a while since I'm finding it hard to justify paying full price for games I can get on other systems for $15. I'm waiting until I can find Batman, Assassins Creed, COD etc. for $20 via Amazon or something. I also only want gamepad specific titles since it's really convenient being able to play games while the wife and kid are in bed without turning the TV on.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 3, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

edit: To add to the WiiU discussion, I haven't touched mine in a while since I'm finding it hard to justify paying full price for games I can get on other systems for $15. I'm waiting until I can find Batman, Assassins Creed, COD etc. for $20 via Amazon or something. I also only want gamepad specific titles since it's really convenient being able to play games while the wife and kid are in bed without turning the TV on.
I really wish the range on the gamepad was better, I want to play the stupid thing in bed but my game room is in the basement :qq:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Louisgod posted:

If there's nothing WiiU specific to talk about then maybe.. people shouldn't post, I guess? Wii specific stuff is fine since it coincides with owning a WiiU but that doesn't mean we should fill the void with idle chit chat, and I saw a potential derail beginning.

Have you tried Monster Hunter? It's completely fantastic, addictive, and the goon community is excellent and will help you out with whatever you need, and while it doesn't have gamepad-only play right now, it will be patched in by the end of April, I think.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Louisgod posted:

I got CoD for $30 in that Best Buy sale a while back...but haven't played it yet :doh:, and more recently NFSMW for $30 in that Origin sale, that one I've been playing like hell at least.

theflyingorc posted:

I really wish the range on the gamepad was better, I want to play the stupid thing in bed but my game room is in the basement :qq:
I've been tempted to move the Wii U so I can play games while on an exercise bike, no TV near that thing but I think most if not all the games I have now support off TV play. Maybe I'll pick up a separate power adapter sometime to make it easier to move the system around.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

flyboi posted:

Probably because people like me who have abandoned this thread for months because of all the nonstop doom , gloom and armchair analysis. That poo poo gets old after maybe 3 pages.

That said, I'm lovin the gently caress out of my Wii U now that I have a HDTV in the office. If only monster hunter were in 3d :(

Even though I get pulled in from time to time I hate the doom and gloom/armchair stuff and really just want to read other peoples thoughts and opinions about games. The vita thread does just fine without someone implying the system is in trouble or how to fix the current situation every page.

I'm not trying to back seat mod or dictate where the discussion goes, but maybe like the 360/PS3 there should be a Wii U General Games thread and a Wii U Bitching General Discussion thread? Just throwing out a suggestion. Probably not enough games to warrant that considering some of them already have their own threads. I hoped this thread would get better after Monhun, Lego City and NFS was released but ehh...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Louisgod posted:

edit: To add to the WiiU discussion, I haven't touched mine in a while since I'm finding it hard to justify paying full price for games I can get on other systems for $15. I'm waiting until I can find Batman, Assassins Creed, COD etc. for $20 via Amazon or something.

Don't pay :20bux: for Assassin's Creed 3.

:saddowns:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

katkillad2 posted:

Even though I get pulled in from time to time I hate the doom and gloom/armchair stuff and really just want to read other peoples thoughts and opinions about games. The vita thread does just fine without someone implying the system is in trouble or how to fix the current situation every page.

I'm not trying to back seat mod or dictate where the discussion goes, but maybe like the 360/PS3 there should be a Wii U General Games thread and a Wii U Bitching General Discussion thread? Just throwing out a suggestion. Probably not enough games to warrant that considering some of them already have their own threads. I hoped this thread would get better after Monhun, Lego City and NFS was released but ehh...

Well Monster Hunter has its own thread, and it gets 50+ posts a day. Right now anything worth playing (and talking about) gets its own thread I can't really see what to discuss in a racing game. Even the Mario Kart 3D thread was mostly hey guys I'm starting up a race in the goon league lets get this going!

Though speaking of need for speed the preview video had the flying car intro to a race and a tornado cop car thing. Is that actually part of the game or was the game extremely buggy?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Those are just goofy little vignettes before some of the events. They're movies and have nothing to do with the actual gameplay. (sadly)

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Have you tried Monster Hunter? It's completely fantastic, addictive, and the goon community is excellent and will help you out with whatever you need, and while it doesn't have gamepad-only play right now, it will be patched in by the end of April, I think.

Monster Hunter owns bones. I don't think the demo does it justice.

My only complaint is the goddamn charm tables

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Those are just goofy little vignettes before some of the events. They're movies and have nothing to do with the actual gameplay. (sadly)
On the plus side if you have enough cops after you and if you get in a good location, you will see multiple cars go flying above you.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Calaveron posted:

I provided my thoughts on Monster Hunter not too far back and I think it made some people cry. It's most definitely not my cup of tea. If I were to play it I'd probably pick up the 3DS version since I could play it on the go.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Idunno, I feel like I could get some kicks out of what amounts to a $20 vehicle for glitches.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Yodzilla posted:

I would have paid $20 for the sailing mode alone. It's the worst AC game I've played, but the smile I had on my face sailing a pirate ship around the coast of Martha's Vineyard was worth the price of admission.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yodzilla posted:

Someone gif'd a bunch of the Ambush ones for the PYF gif thread a while back and it made me instantly more interested in the game. Some of them are just gleefully silly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

citizenlowell posted:

I would have paid $20 for the sailing mode alone. It's the worst AC game I've played, but the smile I had on my face sailing a pirate ship around the coast of Martha's Vineyard was worth the price of admission.

For sure, the naval parts are the best, the "outer" story parts are the worst. I've heard the next one in October is going to have less story and :pirate: 60% naval combat and ship missions :pirate: so even though Asscreed 3 was buggy, that'll be worth a look.

It was pretty good at scratching the Saboteur itch, too.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
As a quick note on my "haven't played Wii in forever maybe this game" thing earlier, I'd also like to point out that 1-2 years of not playing now isn't as big of a deal... whereas my story was people 3-5 years ago saying they hadn't played their Wii in 2-4 years or whatever.
----

I still want to get a Wii U, despite the troubles it's having now. I did lose my job recently though so it's not a very GOOD idea to do. Despite not having a lot now, there'll always be a good library of fantastic 1st party games in the future. And I'm still interested in playing ZombiU, Lego City, NSMBU, and trying to show support to any of the indie DLC games. A shame the Deluxe download stuff is only til 2014, rather than 2 years for anyone... but it doesn't sound like a lot is missed on that front so far.

I do love Monster Hunter... But it's hard to think of buying the game again at the moment. I do look forward to Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Monolith's RPG, and whatever Retro is doing that "everyone wants us to do."

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

deadwing posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising, Etrian Odyssey IV, Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Virtue's Last Reward, Layton and the Miracle Mask, New SMB 2, and Resident Evil: Revelations have came out in that time period. If none of those games appeal to you, maybe you don't like video games as much as you think.

Oh plenty of these games appealed to me, but I was put off at the last minute by either control issues (Kid Icarus and RE) or general 'meh, seen it before (Mario). It's the same thing with the Wii, plenty of potentially good games ruined by lovely controls because they had to force a waggle instead of a button press because waggling is fun? I played NDKC or 30 min before putting it down in frustration due to the totally unnecessary waggle forced upon the player, with no way to change or customise the controls short of modding the system and installing a hack.
The WiiU concerns me, not just because of the apparent lack of games and inability to run 360/PS3 ports smoothly, but because of motion control and the focus being on the tablet. It's yet to be seen if the tablet will enhance the gaming experience or hinder it in a Wii style "HEY I'M A NEW EXCITING CONTROLLER!!! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" manner. It has potential, but as we saw with the Wii, that potential was never really realised.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

njsykora posted:

Someone gif'd a bunch of the Ambush ones for the PYF gif thread a while back and it made me instantly more interested in the game. Some of them are just gleefully silly.

Sadly though they're the only bit of character Most Wanted has. I'm a huge fan of the Burnout Franchise and I loved Criterion's take on Hot Pursuit but Most Wanted just seemed kinda short and sterile. You can see all there is to see of the single player in like 7-9 hours and after that it's just repeating the same races with different cars to unlock the same mods that every other car has.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Yodzilla posted:

Sadly though they're the only bit of character Most Wanted has. I'm a huge fan of the Burnout Franchise and I loved Criterion's take on Hot Pursuit but Most Wanted just seemed kinda short and sterile. You can see all there is to see of the single player in like 7-9 hours and after that it's just repeating the same races with different cars to unlock the same mods that every other car has.

The thing I miss about the transition from Burnout to Most Wanted is the fact that power sliding around corners, even just turning corners at high speed slows you down.

Its a fun short game, but there's nothing like the crazy feeling of speed you have from Burnout. Going into a corner tapping the brake and pulling a massive drift.

In MW if you do the same it scrubs speed of you until your tires grip, after which you've lost ground.

I get that its supposed to not be as arcadey as Burnout, but its just a little frustrating.

Also there is something a little off with the steering (at least on Ps3) i've found if your driving in a straight line small adjustments seem to be just a little too much and you end up snaking along straightaways.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Jut posted:

Oh plenty of these games appealed to me, but I was put off at the last minute by either control issues (Kid Icarus and RE)

What control issues concerned you about RE? That game played great though at this point you'd be much better served by the upcoming HD port.

Anyway, maybe you'll dust off that 3DS for the waggle-less DCKR port it's getting later this year.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

citizenlowell posted:

What control issues concerned you about RE? That game played great though at this point you'd be much better served by the upcoming HD port.

Anyway, maybe you'll dust off that 3DS for the waggle-less DCKR port it's getting later this year.

I played the demo and it just didn't work for me, maybe it's better with the circle pad pro, but that seems like a piece of plastic that will just be discarded and forgotten by developers.
Waggless DCKR port sounds good:)

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I've been sick these last 3-4 days and all I've done is lie on the couch, listening to penn's Sunday school and playing MH3U or Zombie U.
Zombie U, nintendoland and Sonic racing is also pretty fun in multiplayer (Haven't had that much fun with my PS3 in a couple of years so I sold it)

My buddies might also get MH3U on their 3DS so might get to play that in multiplayer as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut trailer.

Looks drat fine, also looks like they might be adding melee weapons to it as well as the boss changes and other tweaks.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I got Need for Speed and all I can say is Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never cared for racing games, at least non Kart based ones. But last year I picked up The Driver: San Francisco and absolutely loved it. Is NSF franchise similar and does it have mission variety apart from just "race here"?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Jut posted:

The WiiU concerns me, not just because of the apparent lack of games and inability to run 360/PS3 ports smoothly, but because of motion control and the focus being on the tablet. It's yet to be seen if the tablet will enhance the gaming experience or hinder it in a Wii style "HEY I'M A NEW EXCITING CONTROLLER!!! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" manner. It has potential, but as we saw with the Wii, that potential was never really realised.

I am just one guy with his own personal experience, but I will say to you that the gamepad has without a doubt enhanced my gaming experience a lot with every game I have played so far. It is not like my experience with motion controls at all which basically added up to being awesome for specific kinds of games that are more appropriate(see party games) and annoying on games which tried to use them but did so in a way which really wasn't ever meant to be(see almost everything else). The gamepad isn't like this. It has enjoyable applications which work very well across a much greater variety of games. Comparing the two is completely apples and oranges. It is also worth noting that the games on the Wii U so far take advantage of far more traditional controls(see buttons) than the Wii did.

Don't take this as an attempt to convince you to buy something that you don't want. I just wanted to make it clear that the gamepad experience != motion control experience at all.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

I never cared for racing games, at least non Kart based ones. But last year I picked up The Driver: San Francisco and absolutely loved it. Is NSF franchise similar and does it have mission variety apart from just "race here"?

Sorry, I never played any Driver and I literally just got NFS, I can't really answer that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The only thing I dislike about the gamepad is how some games make you hold it up to scan the surrounding area and sure, that works if you're sitting in a swivel chair but it is obnoxious doing from a bed/couch. Even more obnoxious is being unable to disable that to use the joysticks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

greatn posted:

The NFS series at this point is largely open world racing coupled with police chases. I'd maintain Hot Pursuit is the pinnacle of it right now because it kept the closed courses and felt like a true Burnout successor. While Most Wanted feels more like Burnout Paradise with a better minimap.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
So I think I'm going to pick up the zombi u bundle (trading in the game for credit) Friday so I can monster hunt in hd.

I'm a big old school super Mario fan, I've pretty much hated the new super Mario brothers series for the most part. I hear that the wii u one is more in line with something like Mario world, having a huge map and themed levels and such. I don't really give a poo poo for the awful multiplayer modes in this series. What do you guys think is it worth the purchase? I'm hoping people with similar opinions about the NSMB series chimes in.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you don't like the New series you probably still won't like it. It's got all the exact same problems and making the different worlds hook together on a map doesn't really fix it. I think the level design is generally better but it has the same physics, same bad music, same multiplayer aspects, and for the most part same power ups(grand total of one new suit, while subtracting two other suits for vast majority of game) as the previous entries.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

njsykora posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut trailer.

Looks drat fine, also looks like they might be adding melee weapons to it as well as the boss changes and other tweaks.

2014? Seriously? Hopefully they've projected to sell 15 copies of the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well there will definitely be more WiiU units in consumer's homes by then.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Louisgod posted:

2014? Seriously? Hopefully they've projected to sell 15 copies of the game.

I was mildly interested in getting this if it came out this summer but if it's not out till 2014 I just don't see any point in getting it. That's a baffling decision. Did they just decide to start working on it when they announced it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It said "Coming soon" in the trailer, where did you guys see 2014? :confused:

• Locked thread