Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Perhaps it's a regional thing. I'm in Oregon and grew up in a shoeless household. When it's rainy and muddy for the better part of the year it forms a routine to take your shoes off at the door. Offhand, I think about 3/4 of the houses I go to are the same. Most people won't ask you to remove your shoes if you're just there for a few minutes, but I definitely feel a bit weird wearing shoes on carpet.

The people I know who wear shoes indoors don't keep a pristine household. They're not slobs or anything, but they're not going to worry about a bit of dust on the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fineX posted:

Do people in America/other countries really wear shoes inside the house? Aren't you afraid of getting dirt and stuff from outside all over the inside of the house? Or do you have a pair of house shoes that you wear inside the house? In that case, what kind of shoes would be used for house shoes? I live in Canada and noone I know wears shoes inside the house.

Yes sometimes, usually when I've just got back from doing something or I'm getting ready to leave in a bit. No not at all, mats are there for a reason. I don't usually wear anything other than slippers inside.

I certainly don't put on shoes if I'm going to be home all day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lots of households don't have any problem with their guests keeping their shoes on the whole time. Etiquette is of course to ask first.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to plug in a second keyboard and mouse to use as a gamepad, (I'm even willing to remap the keys, or use a program to make it emulate a 360 controller or something,) The thing is I can't find anything that would do this properly. I tried to google it and all I found was a program called Teamviewer, which was more for presentations and it really just locks the other keyboards out and allows multiple pointers. Is there a way to do this or am I sol?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Mescal posted:

Of course you'd wipe after. But do bidet folks wipe before as well? That would seem to undo the supposed advantage of less abrasion. Sorry if my bathroom ignorance is disgusting!

I was a bit too aggressive there, sorry. Yes, one wipes before and after. The advantage is not the lack of abrasion due to toilet paper but rather the shower-like effect of running fresh water over an unclean body part. Think of bidets as an extra cleaning step.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

TheGame posted:

Perhaps it's a regional thing. I'm in Oregon and grew up in a shoeless household. When it's rainy and muddy for the better part of the year it forms a routine to take your shoes off at the door. Offhand, I think about 3/4 of the houses I go to are the same. Most people won't ask you to remove your shoes if you're just there for a few minutes, but I definitely feel a bit weird wearing shoes on carpet.

The people I know who wear shoes indoors don't keep a pristine household. They're not slobs or anything, but they're not going to worry about a bit of dust on the rug.

I'm from Oregon too and I grew up in a shoed house. The only shoeless people I know are either OCD about tidiness or germophobic about cleanliness. But I would never wear my shoes inside anybody's house (unless I know the house rules) because that's rude. And I would never tell someone to remove their shoes before walking around my house because that's extremely loving rude.

Be a good guest, be a generous host, that's all. And if you can't be bothered to run a vacuum after you have people over, you should reconsider whether you really care to have guests.

EDIT: The only time I've been informed ahead of time about a house's shoe situation was at the same place they told me about the house's toilet seat situation after I used their WC. So that should give you a clue.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

fineX posted:

Do people in America/other countries really wear shoes inside the house? Aren't you afraid of getting dirt and stuff from outside all over the inside of the house? Or do you have a pair of house shoes that you wear inside the house? In that case, what kind of shoes would be used for house shoes? I live in Canada and noone I know wears shoes inside the house.

I think it really depends on who and where (what region). Growing up, it was completely normal to tromp around in shoes, but being careful to wipe off mud, snow, grit before doing so. Taking them off in some houses would be like coming in and taking off your pants--way too comfortable and intimate. Socks or bare feet can be just as offensive as shoes, depending on... I grew up in Minnesota/Wisconsin, heavily Scandinavian and rural areas.

On the other hand, I've become completely anti-shoe inside my apartment which seems to be just as acceptable to visitors as shoes-on. This on the East Coast, and the Koreans and Turks I know take it one step further with special slippers for "wet" floors such as kitchen and bathroom in their homes. The only people who balk are maintenance guys, who, when I'm home to catch them, get a choice of shoes-off or little sterile psych-ward booties to go over their shoes.

Evidence and logic can easily go both ways, and I've been at both extremes. If there's a question as to etiquette, ask or at least try to observe (shoe deposits outside or just inside door, host/other guests).

Edit: Ouch--so it's possible I'm an OCD rude jerk, but it feels nice to have a home that's...mine. Plus I'm an OCD rude jerk shut-in, so it really doesn't damage a lot of lives/psyches.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 2, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Liebfraumilch posted:

Edit: Ouch--so it's possible I'm an OCD rude jerk, but it feels nice to have a home that's...mine. Plus I'm an OCD rude jerk shut-in, so it really doesn't damage a lot of lives/psyches.

It's okay, you're Scandinavian! Like all etiquette, it would be solved if everyone were empathetic enough to ask before being told. I take my shoes off without asking until told otherwise. It's hard in the US because our social interactions are the worst of all worlds. We're not Japanese enough to be considerate, yet we're not German enough to say what we really feel.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

In Scandinavia, the norm is to take off your shoes inside. If you go to a party or more dressed up thing at someone's house, you bring a set of clean shoes to wear inside.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Echoing others, it's neither common nor uncommon to remove shoes when entering someone else's home. A good clue is to look at your host's feet as you enter - if they're not wearing shoes, it's appropriate to ask if you should remove your own.

I'm not particularly concerned about dirt. Then again, I live in a city, where many of my friends are unlikely to encounter dirt in their day-to-day lives. (Everywhere is paved.)

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Peristalsis posted:

There are some downed trees on my property, and I'd like to determine what kind of trees they are/were. Is there a way to do this without paying a tree expert to come out to my house and identify them? The web sites I've found don't look promising for a quick identification.

A couple of pics of each tree, if it helps:
http://imgur.com/a/YTGDC#Fl4ss7a

I'll take a rough guess at a type of poplar, but those pictures aren't much to work with. I'd really need to see a picture of leaves (even dead ones)/seed pods/buds.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mescal posted:

I'm from Oregon too and I grew up in a shoed house. The only shoeless people I know are either OCD about tidiness or germophobic about cleanliness. But I would never wear my shoes inside anybody's house (unless I know the house rules) because that's rude. And I would never tell someone to remove their shoes before walking around my house because that's extremely loving rude.

It's got to be a regional thing. I'm in Virginia and I never wear shoes in the house (out of comfort, not a sense of cleanliness), but I would never take my shoes off in someone else's house unless they asked me to. I would consider it rude. If they're Arab or Iranian or from a culture where I know people never wear shoes in the house, I'll ask if I should take them off. If they're just plain old American, I won't.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kimbo305 posted:

Is there a real or slang term for not being able to recognize any songs from having never listened to them? There's illiteracy for not being able to read, innumeracy for not really being able to do math... what for having no musical knowledge?

A person is said to have a tin ear if they don't really have the capacity for music or sounds. It could be said that George Lucas has a tin ear for dialogue, because no real people talk the way he writes. It can also refer to being unable to sense differences in tone or pitch for both music and speech.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CzarChasm posted:

A person is said to have a tin ear if they don't really have the capacity for music or sounds. It could be said that George Lucas has a tin ear for dialogue, because no real people talk the way he writes. It can also refer to being unable to sense differences in tone or pitch for both music and speech.
Tone-deaf is another one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bought a $150 nvidia f2p card from ebay for $35. Paid immediately via ebay with Paypal, got the code from seller, everything worked fine. Now a month later I get this from Paypal:

quote:

On Feb 28, 2013, you sent a payment to x@y for $35.00 USD.
The funds have been returned to your account.
This payment was returned for the following reason(s):
x@y did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.
Please contact x@y to arrange an alternate payment method.
If you have any further questions, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the History subtab. Locate this transaction and click the word "Cancelled" in the Details column.

Quickly after this I get an email from the seller which asks me to do another payment to a different paypal account, which is (apparently) not registered to the seller's ebay account:

quote:

I never received the $35. I just got an email from Paypal saying they sent
the money back to your account for some reason. My Paypal email is
webmaster@y. Can you just send it there.

I asked about ebay what to do, and the answer looked like they couldn't care less:

quote:

Thank you for your email. I understand that you have purchased item (#xx), but the payment was returned back to you in PayPal because of an issue with the seller's account. Now the seller has contacted you asking you to pay to a different email address using PayPal, and you are wanting to know how to proceed with this transaction. I understand your concern for protecting yourself on this transaction, and I will be happy to assist you today with this issue.

Since your seller is asking you to repay for the item to a PayPal account not registered to the sellers eBay account, I recommend that you do not send the payment again to the seller. We recommend this to avoid any other issues or delays with this purchase.

I would try searching for the item through a different seller on eBay, who's account is more established to help ensure a positive transaction experience.

So... my question comes here: Is the seller honest or trying some kind of scam here, should I be honest & make another payment or be a dick and just forget about the whole thing?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ihmemies posted:

Bought a $150 nvidia f2p card from ebay for $35. Paid immediately via ebay with Paypal, got the code from seller, everything worked fine. Now a month later I get this from Paypal:

Quickly after this I get an email from the seller which asks me to do another payment to a different paypal account, which is (apparently) not registered to the seller's ebay account:

I asked about ebay what to do, and the answer looked like they couldn't care less:

So... my question comes here: Is the seller honest or trying some kind of scam here, should I be honest & make another payment or be a dick and just forget about the whole thing?

Here's my first question: Has the money, in fact, been returned to your paypal/bank account? If so, if I'm reading this right, you have the product, he doesn't have his money. That seems fairly straightforward. Give him his money.

If the money is still out of your paypal account, try to contact them directly (not ebay) and see if a refund is coming. If it is, go ahead and send the money to the seller again. If paypal says that things are all paid up and no money is coming back to you, tell the seller to take a hike.

Again, on the surface, it sounds like you have the product, and the seller doesn't have his money due to paypal fuckery.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Here's my first question: Has the money, in fact, been returned to your paypal/bank account? If so, if I'm reading this right, you have the product, he doesn't have his money. That seems fairly straightforward. Give him his money.

Again, on the surface, it sounds like you have the product, and the seller doesn't have his money due to paypal fuckery.

Yes, I got the money back to my bank account. I'm just wondering why he didn't claim the money or resolve whatever issues he had with Paypal in the first place. Will it cause any problems to make a payment without ebay? I won't get any "Express Checkout Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #itemid)" and "Shopping Cart Contents" data when using Paypal directly so the payment can't be linked to the product I bought :/

I'll just pay the dude again to his other (why have multiple?) paypal account and hope there won't be any further complications.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Is there a way to train myself to like seafood?

I grew up my whole life hating seafood. Fish, shellfish, anything that came from the sea, I can't stand the smell and taste of it, and they all give me the gag reflex, but it certainly can look delicious. I'm pretty sure it is not all in my head, because I have accidentally eaten seafood without knowing, and I knew something tasted wrong with it. I've eaten anchovies on a pizza in the dark, and I've mistaken fish for chicken a few times on occasion, and I just knew something went horribly wrong in my mouth. It sucks because I feel like I'm missing out on a large amount of cuisine out there.

Is it possible to make myself gradually like seafood, or am I hardwired this way and just screwed out on a lot of seemingly delicious food?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Maybe start with something that doesn't have a strong fishy taste? I was much like you when I was growing up in that I really didn't like any seafood at all. I enjoy a lot of different kinds now, though I still don't do shellfish. Try some salmon some time--not the canned stuff, a fresh/frozen filet. It can be a little pricey depending on where you live and the season, so it might be something you have a bite of from a friend's plate at a restaurant or something rather than something you drop a bunch of money on only to find you can't finish it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Is it possible to make myself gradually like seafood, or am I hardwired this way and just screwed out on a lot of seemingly delicious food?

Certainly is. Studies seem to suggest we are more likely to enjoy foods we are familiar with, so if you eat something regularly, over time you'll come to like whatever it is. Also, amazingly, if your mother ate strong flavoured food when she was pregnant with you, you'll like those flavours too. There was an interesting BBC doc (Horizons) recently which discussed exactly this. You can find it on iPlayer here and on youtube (while you can):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8qdmBEF-Hk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I cancel my Audible account can I still listen to my backlog?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I grew up my whole life hating seafood. Fish, shellfish, anything that came from the sea, I can't stand the smell and taste of it, and they all give me the gag reflex, but it certainly can look delicious. I'm pretty sure it is not all in my head, because I have accidentally eaten seafood without knowing, and I knew something tasted wrong with it. I've eaten anchovies on a pizza in the dark, and I've mistaken fish for chicken a few times on occasion, and I just knew something went horribly wrong in my mouth. It sucks because I feel like I'm missing out on a large amount of cuisine out there.

Do you not like shrimp or scallops? Mussels? I've found that shrimp don't have much of a "seafoody" flavor to them and are better at picking up the flavors of what they are cooked with.

Is it entirely based on flavor and not texture? I have some issues eating a few foods based entirely on how they feel in my mouth, and I could understand someone being put off by the texture of a scallop, shrimp, or mussel.

What I would suggest would be preparing a dish containing either shrimp, scallops, or mollusks yourself, in whatever style of cuisine is your favorite. If you enjoy asian, a simple stir fry of shrimp, scallops, and veggies in soy sauce, orange juice, and ginger is very simple to prepare and very difficult to gently caress up.

If you go to a good fishmonger or grocer, you can purchase the shrimp already peeled and de-veined, so you can avoid that since it's a pain in the rear end.

edit: do not purchase frozen shrimp or scallops as they always tend to taste a little off and have a chewier texture.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 2, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a 2011 Cruze, and recently rented a new Focus. Both have the door lock button on the center console rather than the armrest as in previous cars. Is this a new trend, or just something Ford and Chevrolet have done recently? What's the reasoning behind it, if any?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

My recommendation is to find something you can deal with and make it at least a semi-regular part of your diet. Personally I'd say find someplace local that makes a decent fish n' chips or po' boy. A mild whitefish battered and fried is about the least "fishy" fish there is.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

2 questions:

If you are lying next to someone facing each other is it bad to inhale when they exhale? I was thinking if you exhale at the same time then inhale at the same time you are both inhaling the
exhale. Are you inhaling all the carbon dioxide they exhale since you are in such close quarters?

I saw two male ducks trying to have sex with a female duck, they were almost drowning her so I waked over and waved my arms to scare them so they would let her up for air. Can ducks hold their breath under water for long periods of time? I see this a lot on campus during the spring, and I have seen a few dead female ducks during mating season, and I guess I am trying to stick up for the lady ducks. Should I just leave them alone?

KoB
May 1, 2009

RebBrownies posted:

2 questions:

If you are lying next to someone facing each other is it bad to inhale when they exhale? I was thinking if you exhale at the same time then inhale at the same time you are both inhaling the
exhale. Are you inhaling all the carbon dioxide they exhale since you are in such close quarters?

You breath out enough oxygen/etc and mixing with the air around you it wouldnt be a problem.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

RebBrownies posted:

Yes that is bad, but not normally dangerous, this will lead to elevated CO2 levels for you both and if carried on for a while you'll feel how you do when you hold your breath and need to breathe, however this instinct will save you and you won't die. If you were to do this with a baby or pet they would almost certainly die, 18 children died from this form of asphyxia last year in the US.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RebBrownies posted:

I saw two male ducks trying to have sex with a female duck, they were almost drowning her so I waked over and waved my arms to scare them so they would let her up for air. Can ducks hold their breath under water for long periods of time? I see this a lot on campus during the spring, and I have seen a few dead female ducks during mating season, and I guess I am trying to stick up for the lady ducks. Should I just leave them alone?

Ducks can hold their breath for a while, but nothing spectacular, and they can drown accidentally while mating. The whole Mallard gender dynamic thing is sort of upsetting if you're feeling empathetic. But it's just ducks being ducks.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I am in the same boat. Every now and then I'll try a bite of fish or shrimp or whatever, but 9 times out of 10 it will just make me shudder. The only things I've had a second taste of in recent years were mussels cooked in white wine and some fried shrimp (I think) in a Vietnamese restaurant in Berlin... And in both cases the other flavors were strong enough to overpower the seafoody taste.

I feel bad, because it's healthy and I'm missing out on lots of stuff, but the situation hasn't really changed much in 31 years.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

The only things I've had a second taste of in recent years were mussels cooked in white wine and some fried shrimp (I think) in a Vietnamese restaurant in Berlin... And in both cases the other flavors were strong enough to overpower the seafoody taste.
I know a few people that really dislike seafood when it's in any sort of water solution (i.e. canned seafood, cocktail shrimp), but are much more OK with it when it's well-cooked, so this might be a similar case?

The best advice I could give is try grilled or baked seafood instead. Tuna filets have a mild, meaty flavor and a sort of tough texture, it's probably the most similar thing to land fare I can think of and it's pretty different from canned tuna. Grilled shrimp is basically chicken from the water.

Salmon is much more flavorful, on top of being easy to get and having a ton of seasoning options. Don't buy "smoked salmon" unless you know what you're doing, and I'd recommend getting a fresh cut since the vacuum packed stuff is all over the map quality-wise.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

Yes that is bad, but not normally dangerous, this will lead to elevated CO2 levels for you both and if carried on for a while you'll feel how you do when you hold your breath and need to breathe, however this instinct will save you and you won't die. If you were to do this with a baby or pet they would almost certainly die, 18 children died from this form of asphyxia last year in the US.

Is this a joke answer? Exhaled breath is almost the same as inhaled breath in terms of gas composition. It looks like a single "breath" of air could be used 4 or more times before being too saturated with C02. Since gases mix freely though, breathing in someone's exhale would never be an issue other than cases where your both in a small airtight box, and even though it doesn't seem like it would kill you any faster.

Wikipedia posted:

The air we inhale is roughly composed of (by volume):
78% nitrogen
21% oxygen
0.96% argon
0.04% carbon dioxide, helium, water, and other gases

The permanent gases in gas we exhale are 4% to 5% by volume more carbon dioxide and 4% to 5% by volume less oxygen than was inhaled. This expired air typically composed of:
78% nitrogen
13.6% - 16% Oxygen
4% - 5.3% Carbon dioxide
1% Argon and other gases
If that was a real statistic, I'm curious and would like to know more about why it happens.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 3, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I will second both salmon and tuna.

Salmon baked with lemon and dill is incredibly tasty and got my girlfriend from "I don't like seafood" to "salmon is goddamn delicious."

Tuna steaks are a great fish as well. Very fast to sear up in a pan and very tasty with a minimum of spices or condiments. That is, if you enjoy tuna to begin with. I find that many people who don't like seafood still like tuna, interestingly enough.

Things like crab, shrimp, mussels and such are all much more seafoody and harder to take when you're iffy on the seafood thing.

You can also try a mild whitefish like Tilapia, since you can cram it full of other flavors you like and still be eating fish.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

edit: do not purchase frozen shrimp or scallops as they always tend to taste a little off and have a chewier texture.
Pretty much all shrimp are frozen on the boat immediately after being caught. If they're not frozen at the grocery store / fishmonger it's because they've been thawed. Freezing shrimp does not alter their texture or taste. Unless you're throwing your own net or picking up Spring Maine shrimp on the coast during that week or two when they're happening, you're eating frozen shrimp.

Scallops too (sea and bay.)

edit: try fried seafood to get into it. If you don't like it fried you'll never like it prepared any way.

randyest fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 3, 2013

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

hooah posted:

I have a 2011 Cruze, and recently rented a new Focus. Both have the door lock button on the center console rather than the armrest as in previous cars. Is this a new trend, or just something Ford and Chevrolet have done recently? What's the reasoning behind it, if any?

I'm not sure if it's becoming more common in general or just on Chevy/Ford models, but the reasoning behind it is that the center console is less likely to be impaired in an accident. Side impact crashes may render the buttons ineffective, which makes getting an injured person out of the vehicle more complicated.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Fishchat:

Rather than easing in with battered/baked/tasteless fish, try going to a good sushi place and get the widest variety of sea-things. The biggest combination of stuff you can afford. Be adventurous and pay attention to all the different flavors going on. And enjoy it; you'll feel nourished but not stuffed afterward. You won't love everything but quality and variety will guarantee you find one new favorite.

You like pickled herring, canned anchovies, smoked salmon? I love those, but I totally understand if somebody hates them. They're mad fishy. But there's nothing fishy at a good sushi joint except the roe. Fishy fish is fishy cause it isn't fresh.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
I read an article recently about some sort of website or app that would allow you to enter in pictures of yourself (giving you guidelines to follow) every day so you could track your progress in fitness, gaining/losing weight etc. does anyone know what I'm thinking of? I can imagine there might be more than one of this sort of thing out there.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mescal posted:

Fishchat:

Rather than easing in with battered/baked/tasteless fish, try going to a good sushi place and get the widest variety of sea-things. The biggest combination of stuff you can afford. Be adventurous and pay attention to all the different flavors going on. And enjoy it; you'll feel nourished but not stuffed afterward. You won't love everything but quality and variety will guarantee you find one new favorite.

You like pickled herring, canned anchovies, smoked salmon? I love those, but I totally understand if somebody hates them. They're mad fishy. But there's nothing fishy at a good sushi joint except the roe. Fishy fish is fishy cause it isn't fresh.

I think this is the best answer. I find that most people hate fish because it's rarely made "right" (over cooked, over seasoned, etc) and/or certain common types. I hate salmon, oysters, muscles, clams, and a couple others (even fish and chips because it was made terrible) so I decided seafood wasn't for me. I decided to try tuna tartar and was amazed and then I moved on to sushi because the quality of the seafood was always amazing (you get what you pay for though).

(still don't like the ones I mentioned but eat seafood all the time.)

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I had to go to the emergency room a while back. I've received two bills. One is from the hospital, and the description of the charge on that bill is "emergency department charges." The other bill is from "[NAME OF MY HOSPITAL] Emergency Physicians," and the description of the charge on that bill is "emergency department visit." The second bill lists the name of a doctor who I did not see while I was at the emergency room. I'm assuming it's the doctor who looked at my x-rays and signed off on whatever the nurse practitioner told me.

Why do I have two bills?

Giant Squid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 3, 2013

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Giant Squid posted:

I had to go to the emergency room a while back. I've received two bills. One is from the hospital, and the description of the charge on that bill is "emergency department charges." The other bill is from "[NAME OF MY HOSPITAL] Emergency Physicians," and the description of the charge on that bill is "emergency department visit." The second bill lists the name of a doctor who I did not see while I was at the emergency room. I'm assuming it's the doctor who looked at my x-rays and signed off on whatever the nurse practitioner told me.

Why do I have two bills?

You may have seen a PA or NP for the doctor and you're being billing the name of the actual physician? When I've been to the ER I've always received a separate bill for the physician and for the ER itself. If you're not sure though, call and check - I'm hearing so many stories of people just accepting their medical bills not checking everything, and being charged for services they didn't even receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

Miranda posted:

You may have seen a PA or NP for the doctor and you're being billing the name of the actual physician? When I've been to the ER I've always received a separate bill for the physician and for the ER itself. If you're not sure though, call and check - I'm hearing so many stories of people just accepting their medical bills not checking everything, and being charged for services they didn't even receive.

Thanks. I hadn't been to the emergency room in over a decade, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

This is a really annoying situation. I had a fall at work, but felt perfectly fine. Several coworkers told me to go to the emergency room so that I would have documentation in case it turned out that I actually had been injured. I went to the ER, I got an x-ray, the LP told me I was fine, and I went home. Total cost to find out that I was just as fine as I felt? Roughly $1700.