Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm in the US, and all I can find are the Master Pack for $50 and Shogun 2 for $30 & ROTS for $10. I can wait for a sale.

I got the ridiculously huge anthology for $33 from there a couple weeks ago. I would be surprised if it didn't go on super-sale again when the new title launches.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/total-war-grandmaster-collection/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Pope Mobile posted:

Really? That'd be awesome. My Steam ID should be S0cr8t3s.

Sent you a friend invite.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Has anybody else had a problem with steam workshop wiping their mod selection? It's happened to me a couple of times now, the first time for an apparent reason (I ignored the steam cloud not connecting warning) but the second seemed to be completely random. It's a pretty helpful service, I'd like to not have to install things manually.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Enigma posted:

Sent you a friend invite.

Awesome. I'll jump on when I get home later.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fall's pretty great. I did an easy, short campaign as pro-Imperial Satsuma just to get the feel of things and they really refined some of the mechanics really nicely. The combat is surprisingly decent, albeit not as flashy as vanilla. Those poor traditionalist forces. Had a real Last Samurai moment when I invaded Edo and an army of Shogitai charged my infantry lines. They got cut down before they even reached me. I think I saw Tom Cruise in there somewhere...

Anyway, the tech trees are really well balanced and the character trees are a hell of a lot better. I kind of wish they'd go back and retool the vanilla game's to be like Fall's. They're just so much more useful and fun compared to the straight, multi-level skills they get. They're not terribly fun and you have to create a ton of agents for specific roles (the passive roles means your active ones will suffer and so they'll level up extremely slow).

I barely got by on the short campaign, beating it mid-fall of 1869. I can't imagine how hard it must get if you go independent, especially if you start out pro-Shogunate on Kyushu Island. That's a long trek by boat.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Any magic option I can change in M2 settings to get me through bigger battles?

I have a huge blob of rebels sitting outside of my capital (Playing as denmark with the Eras mod) but I'm just too afraid that my little old choo-choo train computer will spontaneously combust. :(

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The best thing about FoTS is sending out a swarm of one-unit armies and watching the AI battle each other. Every gunpowder army will get demolished by shogitai and kachi, it's like watching The Last Samurai in reverse.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The best thing about FoTS is sending out a swarm of one-unit armies and watching the AI battle each other. Every gunpowder army will get demolished by shogitai and kachi, it's like watching The Last Samurai in reverse.

Well, if they can't break them in the charge, which only units like the Imperial Guard or Marine units can do with kneel fire, they will lose in melee every time. I watched 12 Shogitai kill nearly 80 line infantry before collapsing in a siege.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

shalcar posted:

They murder cavalry with incredible effectiveness, they make fantastic general snipers. That's about it, though.

I've found they also scare the poo poo out of any ashigaru units. Taking castles is also rather easy when you have a unit that can clear a wall for you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any good Fall of the Samurai mods out there? Darthmod just makes the game a bit too hard early on with the super-sized garrisons and morale changes. Plus it makes naval battles stupidly frustrating and long because the navies apparently recruit from the rear end in a top hat family and none of them can land shots on the broad side of a barn. I'm mainly looking for something that ups the challenge (not frontloads it like Darthmod) so I'm not an unstoppable juggernaut at the ending game because the enemies have no garrison forces and one (maybe two) big armies defending their massive clans. That said, I'm not looking for something that makes the game stupid like some of Radious's tweaks where every clan has a hundred billion stacks of a hundred billion samurai units that makes the game a hundred billion times longer.

Any recommendations?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 4, 2013

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

dogstile posted:

I've found they also scare the poo poo out of any ashigaru units. Taking castles is also rather easy when you have a unit that can clear a wall for you.

With such limited ammunition and reasonably high upkeep, using them on ashigaru would be a waste considering you could just have a unit of Matchlock Samurai that would do a far better job of ashigaru/samurai murder. The general sniping capacity (or Great Guard/High Value cav) is the only thing they really have going for them.

e: Also the super accurate Fire Bomb Throwers for the same impact.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jimbot posted:

Are there any good Fall of the Samurai mods out there? Darthmod just makes the game a bit too hard early on with the super-sized garrisons and morale changes. Plus it makes naval battles stupidly frustrating and long because the navies apparently recruit from the rear end in a top hat family and none of them can land shots on the broad side of a barn. I'm mainly looking for something that ups the challenge (not frontloads it like Darthmod) so I'm not an unstoppable juggernaut at the ending game because the enemies have no garrison forces and one (maybe two) big armies defending their massive clans. That said, I'm not looking for something that makes the game stupid like some of Radious's tweaks where every clan has a hundred billion stacks of a hundred billion samurai units that makes the game a hundred billion times longer.

Any recommendations?

If difficulty is all you're after you could try upping the slider :v:. What are you playing on right now? On hard+ they generally have ample garrison forces and can replenish fairly quickly. Go Republican come realm divide too, it adds a few significant challenges. Difficulty is sort of self inflicted in Shogun 2; if you want it harder, go to war with more people, build less defenses, so on. But the late late game is always going to be a bit boring and there aren't any mods that quite fix that yet.

If you really do want mods though SeanBeansShako posted a nice list fairly recently. The AI occupation resistance one in particular completely changes how the AI territory forms, I would strongly recommend that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Koramei posted:

If difficulty is all you're after you could try upping the slider :v:. What are you playing on right now? On hard+ they generally have ample garrison forces and can replenish fairly quickly. Go Republican come realm divide too, it adds a few significant challenges. Difficulty is sort of self inflicted in Shogun 2; if you want it harder, go to war with more people, build less defenses, so on. But the late late game is always going to be a bit boring and there aren't any mods that quite fix that yet.

If you really do want mods though SeanBeansShako posted a nice list fairly recently. The AI occupation resistance one in particular completely changes how the AI territory forms, I would strongly recommend that.

Thanks, I found that list and some do indeed look really cool. Don't the AI get favorable handicaps at higher difficulty though? I think the campaign itself is pretty great, but I always find it that these clans never keep garrisons and when I invade with my army of destruction they never seem to want to take back their territory outside of sending in half-stacks to harass my farms and whatnot. My holdings were half the size of some of the enemy clans' but they all seem to be misers and never have forces that make use of those resources. Not to mention they hardly had any fleets (and I researched those lovely shells too...).

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 4, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So let me see if I get this right - Normal gives the player benefits, but Hard removes those and insteads gives them to the AI. Is there no middle ground at all? Also, as the Satsuma (both Sengoku Jidai/Fall of the Samurai campaigns) how can you avoid getting steamrolled by the faction that takes the upper part of your starting isle? I can get Ashigaru armies in vanilla, but I'm facing a huge Line Infantry stack against my Levy Infantry in FOTS.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Azran posted:

So let me see if I get this right - Normal gives the player benefits, but Hard removes those and insteads gives them to the AI. Is there no middle ground at all?

Normal is the closest to the middle ground, the only benefit the player receives is that their unit upkeep is around 10% less than that paid by the AI. Otherwise the player and the AI play by exactly the same rules in both the battle map and campaign map.

Hard does swap around the upkeep costs (making the player's higher than the AI) but it also increases the morale of AI units and increases the AI's recruitment slots by one. The end result is that you fight closer fights (since your army tends to be not quite as good and the AI's is a little better, not to mention harder to break) and bigger fights (the AI can raise armies quicker when threatened or when attacking).

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I find hard is generally the balanced one realistically, as the AI is generally distinctly worse than the human player and particularly easy to defend against. Normal isn't like, a cakewalk in which I don't have to do anything, but nothing I find exciting or dramatic ever really happens in normal unless I play really really reckless. But maybe I'm just too good at the game at this point, I haven't had the game TOO long but I can barely remember what my first campaign was like.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm playing as the Tosa right now, Hard Difficulty. Taking the first province took a toll on my forces, since the enemy army was 80% Yari Kachi, and they didn't break under concentrated fire. Once I did manage to take it, I stood around replenishing forces before moving into the mainland. But now there's a huge fuckoff stack of Levy Infantry with another one close behind looming on the horizon. Progress is way slower than in vanilla - I'm prioritizing the economy, and even then I'm just doing 1600 koku per turn. I really don't know what to improve on. :v:

As an aside - should I leave other Pro-Imperialists alone?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

shalcar posted:

With such limited ammunition and reasonably high upkeep, using them on ashigaru would be a waste considering you could just have a unit of Matchlock Samurai that would do a far better job of ashigaru/samurai murder. The general sniping capacity (or Great Guard/High Value cav) is the only thing they really have going for them.

e: Also the super accurate Fire Bomb Throwers for the same impact.

I think the waste of a unit is more than paid for by the laughs i get by watching as an entire army scatters before they can even hit my matchlock/rocket line. Tactics take a backseat to fun a lot of the time for me. I once had a gimmick army that was entirely ninja's, fire rockets, catapults and matchlock samurai. It never lost a battle for some reason, even against two full stacks.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Azran posted:

I'm playing as the Tosa right now, Hard Difficulty. Taking the first province took a toll on my forces, since the enemy army was 80% Yari Kachi, and they didn't break under concentrated fire. Once I did manage to take it, I stood around replenishing forces before moving into the mainland. But now there's a huge fuckoff stack of Levy Infantry with another one close behind looming on the horizon. Progress is way slower than in vanilla - I'm prioritizing the economy, and even then I'm just doing 1600 koku per turn. I really don't know what to improve on. :v:

As an aside - should I leave other Pro-Imperialists alone?

Unless they're sitting on very valuable provinces that would see better use in your hands, yes. Fall of the Samurai is a bit different from vanilla, in that Realm Divide doesn't pit you against the world. Instead, all Imperial clans go to war against all Shogunate clans and duke it out until one is victorious. As such, attacking other clans of your faction ultimately weakens you during the Realm Divide wars.

Unless, like I said, they're sitting on like a gold mine or something because hey, gotta pay for those Imperial Infantry somehow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My friend and I just simply can't catch a break with Fall. First the mods we try (Radious's AI, Garrison and Randomized behavior) cause battles to load and then stay on the "Waiting" screen. Then we have to restart and then when we finally get the thing working (disabled Radious and garrison), my game crashes after having a 15 minute early-game naval battle (which are the most boring and prolongued endurance tests ever put in these games. I remember when wooden ships broke apart and splintered after receiving a full broadside). I bet the next time we try my harddrive will explode.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
As Tosa I thought it'd be a good idea to take the entire island, and the silver-mine province directly north of it because it was held by a big shogunate clan making trouble on the imperial side and it looked like an easy source of huge money, then sail around Kii and land a full stack with 2 generals in Owari, since it was a reasonably developed province with ironworks which could be turned into a gunsmith, and it put me between Kyoto and Edo, so it seems like the perfect place to stage my campaign in the mainland from, right? Azran, don't do this unless either the Imperials have managed to hold onto territory surprisingly far east, or you're very prepared. In the process, I ended up at war with pretty much every clan in central Japan, and the 3 largest Shogunate clans in the area constantly have full stack armies stomping around, messing with my attempts to build up the province. Not to mention, the navy I used to bring my army over was destroyed and my home island is constantly being bombarded. On the bright side, winter is coming, so hopefully they'll all back off until spring, and they haven't blown up my one Drydock yet, so if that lasts for 2 more turns I'll have 3 armoured frigates.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Gotta say the extra morale is really bothersome. Two Yari Kachis charged through the concentrated fire of 6 Levy Infantry and routed them all. :wtc:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there for some reason my game keeps crashing during naval battles? I had a long one-on-one battle with the AI and it was fine, then I had a 3-on-3 in which caused my game to crash. At the time my general ship was getting hit pretty hard and was staggering. I was micro-managing the ship to fire on broadsides and when I clicked to attack the game crashed. This has happened earlier when I was playing with a friend. Has anyone had problems like this before? Not that I want to play naval battles out since after some time with them I think they're worthlessly lovely and I look forward to when I get ironclads to get guaranteed auto-resolve victories but I don't like having problems with my game, especially ones that cause my game to crash. I guess it wouldn't be too much of an issue if the game didn't take ten hours to load up each time (then another 5 for the menus).

Edit: For the record the only mods I am using are the randomized personality and the extended campaign limit mods.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Jimbot posted:

Is there for some reason my game keeps crashing during naval battles? I had a long one-on-one battle with the AI and it was fine, then I had a 3-on-3 in which caused my game to crash. At the time my general ship was getting hit pretty hard and was staggering. I was micro-managing the ship to fire on broadsides and when I clicked to attack the game crashed. This has happened earlier when I was playing with a friend. Has anyone had problems like this before? Not that I want to play naval battles out since after some time with them I think they're worthlessly lovely and I look forward to when I get ironclads to get guaranteed auto-resolve victories but I don't like having problems with my game, especially ones that cause my game to crash. I guess it wouldn't be too much of an issue if the game didn't take ten hours to load up each time (then another 5 for the menus).

Edit: For the record the only mods I am using are the randomized personality and the extended campaign limit mods.

Naval battles stress the hell out of your GPU with all the water and specular effects. Check the temperature of your video card after the crashes (or log them during gameplay), maybe consider dropping graphical quality and using vsync and see if that helps out.

Also, have you tried the latest video card drivers?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azran posted:

Gotta say the extra morale is really bothersome. Two Yari Kachis charged through the concentrated fire of 6 Levy Infantry and routed them all. :wtc:

Levy Infantry are garbage conscript troops that miss a huge amount of their shots and take half an hour to reload, while Yari Kachi are reasonably elite melee infantry. With a decent general it's not that surprising, from what I've experienced so far. I only find levies to be at all reliable when defending walls.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

shalcar posted:

Naval battles stress the hell out of your GPU with all the water and specular effects. Check the temperature of your video card after the crashes (or log them during gameplay), maybe consider dropping graphical quality and using vsync and see if that helps out.

Also, have you tried the latest video card drivers?

I'll try that out. I do have the latest drivers and it still happens. It only ever happens with Fall of the Samurai too. Vanilla Shogun 2 and Rise never crashed once when I did naval battles with stacks of 10 boats. Regardless, I'll lower the settings and see if anything changes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Man, the Ikko Ikki are pretty unfun to play as in vanilla Shogun 2.

The difficulty in getting trading partners early on is really irksome, as is the typical annoyances of having to convert conquered provinces. Warrior monks are decent but they're pricy as hell and have a pretty nasty weakness to missile fire in a game where bow samurai are horrifying enough. By the time I was running around with three of them and some loanswords and ashigaru/ronin archers, I had no income whatsoever and I was being accosted by stacks of samurai armies, and 4 out of my 5 neighbors had declared war on me out of spite.

I figured I'd try again with a more explosive expansionist opening followed by a ton of trade ships to keep up income, but the -20 relations is bad enough without the expansionism penalty and the poor starting position is pretty nasty altogether. That or just go back to Normal campaign for them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You need to make good use of their revolt-creating abilities from their monks. Any successful revolts will join your clan, unlike non-Ikko revolts instigated by other clans. Also your ashigaru are pretty great to start with.

I found the Ikko-Ikki pretty easy to manage, and I think they've got a lot more advantages than many other clans.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Ikko are pretty straight forward actually. Sure, it's hard to get trading partners, but you can set up a few vassals to fill all your trading needs early on. Considering you can smash out heaps of Loan sword ashigaru and push your religion into other provinces to stir up unrest and get revolting provinces, you have a heavy advantage at the start.

Especially in the early game where everyone else has to use yari ashigaru as their core troops while you have actual swordsmen to do the meat of the killing. Monks are great but their high upkeep makes them a bit of a trap early on, as you need to leverage your very cost effective troops to get your economy started.

Also, for all the fear Bow Samurai put into you, Bow Ronin pay it back in spades. Those guys annihilate everything. They are ludicrous.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm surprised. Personally I think the Ikko are relatively hard to play - Less because of their special religion and more because of the lack of metsuke though. Then again playing them teaches you to build a stable internal economy pre-RD.

The whole "Incite revolts everywhere" thing seems like a trap to me. Even if the rebels take the province, it'll be in chaos for quite some time and you have to pay upkeep on those new, often times lovely, units.

Their starting position isn't actually that bad, they own two very rich provinces with wonderful combat bonuses. Loanswords rip through regular yari ashigaru with ease and an armorer really helps against archers for example. It's also easy to defend as long as you don't expand to the right. The provinces there are poor and only bring you into contact with assholes like the Takeda or Uesugi sooner.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I thought that the Ikko were pretty easy - garrison warrior monks from temples mean that you should never lose a province, the warrior monks' special ability is good, and the starting province bonuses fit perfectly. My game went through a fairly reliable "absorb one huge stack in defensive siege, advance one province, absorb huge stack in defensive siege, advance one province" routine until I reached around 10 provinces, when I was powerful enough to do whatever I wanted. All I used monks for was to convert my captured provinces.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Man, I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing wrong then. Had a game where it ended up with everyone at war with me in turn 37. And I mean literally everyone. There was no realm divide, just a -74 diplo penalty for "territorial expansion" which was partially my own drat fault for not letting things cool off, but its also that I kept losing/retaking provinces since I couldn't afford enough troops to guard my provinces real well and I got declared on by my neighbors. I tried repeatedly making peace with people, but they'd either just refuse to listen or they'd take peace and then break it two turns later (gently caress you imagawa).

Highlight was when I withdrew my frontier defenses to consolidate my army and had about a stack and a half of ashigaru, when Takeda, with 6 provinces, wanders into my mainland with three stacks of mostly ashigaru, but a lot of light cavalry and bow samurai as well, lead by Mr. Shingen himself with 4 stars. Beat him, but still lost a lot of territory because I'm surrounded by people that hate me. Which meant my vassals recovered it, causing my "territorial expansion" penalty to soar to new heights.

I'm going to try again and this time just get a fuckoff trade fleet navy to send north so I can get some income, but I wonder if I'll manage to get enough cash to even support that. Hm hm hm. I am bad at total war. Still not going to change the difficulty down from hard, but gently caress, I had an aborted legendary run that went smoother than this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, why am I getting a negative diplomacy modifier towards clan who go, break our alliance, and attack me? :psyduck: The Satsuma vassals attacked me (I'm playing Satsuma), and when I check the diplomacy options I get a BACKSTABER! and YOU BROKE OUR ALLIANCE! negative modifier.

Also, I really dig the new and improved Realm Divide in FOTS. Are my new Imperial allies going to backstab me?

Also, Hard gets easy once you get a) cannons and b) kneel and fire. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azran posted:

Wait, why am I getting a negative diplomacy modifier towards clan who go, break our alliance, and attack me? :psyduck: The Satsuma vassals attacked me (I'm playing Satsuma), and when I check the diplomacy options I get a BACKSTABER! and YOU BROKE OUR ALLIANCE! negative modifier.

Also, I really dig the new and improved Realm Divide in FOTS. Are my new Imperial allies going to backstab me?

Also, Hard gets easy once you get a) cannons and b) kneel and fire. :v:

Realm divide in Fall simply formally splits Japan between the Shogunate and Imperialist factions. If you remain loyal to your chosen faction, they'll stick with you until the other faction is wiped out(at which point you win). If you choose to go independent, everyone will stab you in the face.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Kanos posted:

Realm divide in Fall simply formally splits Japan between the Shogunate and Imperialist factions. If you remain loyal to your chosen faction, they'll stick with you until the other faction is wiped out(at which point you win). If you choose to go independent, everyone will stab you in the face.

Yeah, should have clarified - I'm now the Satsuma Imperial Vanguard. :smug:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Azran posted:

The diplomacy modifiers shown in that screen are mutual, not just their grievances against you. Your people hate them too. :v:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Finally finished my Oda game - by capturing every single province on the map. My last battle saw my faction's leader - who was the same one from the start of the game - take out the last surviving enemy unit personally by dismounting and going sword-to-sword. :hist101:

It's a little disappointing that there wasn't a message to signify that you'd captured every last province (65, right?) - I thought most Total War games did this, even if you had already fulfilled a win condition?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, I went straight for Musashi and I've got 8 full enemy stacks outside. :stare: I hate how the "ally" AI is really ineffectual. Saga is at war against pretty much every single pro-Shogunate clan, but their 3 full stacks have been sitting on Nagasaki for 40 turns already. It's only just me and the vassals I generate.

EDIT: You win, Hard Difficulty. You win. :negative:

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 9, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I believe this is a panaroma of the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in R2. Comes in at 30000 x 9785 resolution. I zoom in but it only gets clearer!

http://tww-data.s3.amazonaws.com/panorama2/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the difference between Military Administration and Supervise Recruitment for the Foreign Vet? According to the encyclopedia they both do the exact same thing except for the former he needs to be in the territory while the later inside a town. Is one better than the other? Do the effects stack?

Is there a site that breaks down the best uses for some of the boats? Aside from recruitment cost and upkeep, I really have no idea what the point of some of them are. The differences are so small compared to the simpler navy options in vanilla.