Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

fleshweasel posted:

I find a table works well.

I laughed, but seriously, you're nuts not to use an mStand if you're using a laptop for long periods. With external input devices obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Where did that GIF come from?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where did that GIF come from?

This video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2j_GPIqRA

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I just bought a new beautiful 60 inch plasma TV. I'm trying to hook up my late 2010 Macbook to it via a mini-dvi port connected to an HDMI cable directly into the television.

It shows up fine on the TV (and it looks great). But then both the TV and Macbook keep flashing blue and then flashing the desktop, over and over again, making it unusable.

The Macbook hooked up to my 40 inch LCD tv fine.

Anyone have any ideas? It looks fine when it isnt flashing blue.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I am looking at getting a Macbook again, can't decide if I should go with the Air or the 13.3 Retina. However, it seems the best idea right now is to wait on either (the air is a dont buy unless you need it) and the retina from what I have heard is slugish because of the HD4000 GPU. Are those correct assumptions?

I would be using this to touch up my photography, and general purpose, I don't play games so the higher end GPU isn't necessary for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am looking at getting a Macbook again, can't decide if I should go with the Air or the 13.3 Retina. However, it seems the best idea right now is to wait on either (the air is a dont buy unless you need it) and the retina from what I have heard is slugish because of the HD4000 GPU. Are those correct assumptions?

I would be using this to touch up my photography, and general purpose, I don't play games so the higher end GPU isn't necessary for me.

Unless you NEED A COMPUTER NOW I'd wait until they're both refreshed- probably sometime in June or July. Basically- on the Air's end, you've got slightly lower weight and a noticeably (at least in my opinion) thinner chassis. The GPU's performance might be a little snappier too, since it isn't pushing the retina screen, but that can be debated from here to kingdom come with people coming down equally hard on both sides of the "this problem does/doesn't exist" argument. It's also cheaper.

The rMBP's big draw is the retina screen. It's also "thin enough" for plenty of people, particularly when compared to the standard MBP, though I definitely think it's still a fatty when compared to the Air. On paper the available CPUs are also more powerful, but it's strongly debatable as to whether you'll ever be in a position to notice it. It also costs more than the Air, but not significantly when you make RAM/SSD space equal.

In either case, they'll both probably be getting huge spec bumps this summer- which might make some of the existing GPU concerns moot. Hope this helps!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Unless you NEED A COMPUTER NOW I'd wait until they're both refreshed- probably sometime in June or July...

In either case, they'll both probably be getting huge spec bumps this summer- which might make some of the existing GPU concerns moot. Hope this helps!

You might see the Air get updated in June or July when mobile Haswell with GT2 is released, but the rMBP likely won't be until late July or even August, since the higher-end mobile Haswell offerings don't arrive until Q3.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Unless you NEED A COMPUTER NOW I'd wait until they're both refreshed- probably sometime in June or July. Basically- on the Air's end, you've got slightly lower weight and a noticeably (at least in my opinion) thinner chassis. The GPU's performance might be a little snappier too, since it isn't pushing the retina screen, but that can be debated from here to kingdom come with people coming down equally hard on both sides of the "this problem does/doesn't exist" argument. It's also cheaper.

The rMBP's big draw is the retina screen. It's also "thin enough" for plenty of people, particularly when compared to the standard MBP, though I definitely think it's still a fatty when compared to the Air. On paper the available CPUs are also more powerful, but it's strongly debatable as to whether you'll ever be in a position to notice it. It also costs more than the Air, but not significantly when you make RAM/SSD space equal.

No need for one right this second, I have a Dell Inspiron 13z to hold me over until then but I wanted to start looking. While I LOVE the retina screen, I doubt very much that I will be doing any real editing work on a 13" display, I will use my 24" IPS panel for that (better color accuracy, etc). I have really had my fill with the stupid decisions Microsoft has made with the new fangled UI in Windows 8 (and server 2012 .. why oh why microsoft). I love OSX so, looks like I will be checking out the airs a bit more closely.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

beergod posted:

I just bought a new beautiful 60 inch plasma TV. I'm trying to hook up my late 2010 Macbook to it via a mini-dvi port connected to an HDMI cable directly into the television.

It shows up fine on the TV (and it looks great). But then both the TV and Macbook keep flashing blue and then flashing the desktop, over and over again, making it unusable.

Mine does that when I move it, it sounds like that TV's HDMI port is loose.

Maniblack
Mar 4, 2008
I have a question regarding the rMBP and I guess here is just as good a place to ask.

My girlfriend has a 15 inch rMBP and she complains constantly about websites and applications that are "blurry". I have taken a look at what she is describing and sometimes I can see it, but sometimes I can't. Is this a common problem, and what have you guys done to resolve it?

Also, she and I have been playing Borderlands 2 (her on the Mac, me on the PC), and playing on the retina screen just makes us both sick. Any idea what could be causing it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maniblack posted:

I have a question regarding the rMBP and I guess here is just as good a place to ask.

My girlfriend has a 15 inch rMBP and she complains constantly about websites and applications that are "blurry". I have taken a look at what she is describing and sometimes I can see it, but sometimes I can't. Is this a common problem, and what have you guys done to resolve it?

Also, she and I have been playing Borderlands 2 (her on the Mac, me on the PC), and playing on the retina screen just makes us both sick. Any idea what could be causing it?

The latter can probably be resolved by raising the FoV settings. Or if it's already high, lower it.

FoV is a frequently cause of nausea in FPS games. If it's too high or too low, it can make people feel queasy because the brain is expecting more (or less) information in the scene.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Maniblack posted:

I would guess she is just seeing websites and apps that have not been properly optimized for the retina display.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

I would guess she is just seeing websites and apps that have not been properly optimized for the retina display.

Yeah, most apps are pixelated junk on the retina display. I run 1920x1200 full time and it's pretty amazing. Early 2013 15" 512gig version w/16 gigs of RAM.

I like the sharpness of the "best for retina" option, but the text is comically large. And it still doesn't help non-optimized retina apps. Just put it on 1920 x 1200 and enjoy. Quickres is neat, but the full resolution is laughably small.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Would buying an SSD cause a pretty massive difference in how much my MBP heats up?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

NESguerilla posted:

Would buying an SSD cause a pretty massive difference in how much my MBP heats up?

No, not even replacing a 7200rpm drive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Yeah, most apps are pixelated junk on the retina display. I run 1920x1200 full time and it's pretty amazing. Early 2013 15" 512gig version w/16 gigs of RAM.

I like the sharpness of the "best for retina" option, but the text is comically large. And it still doesn't help non-optimized retina apps. Just put it on 1920 x 1200 and enjoy. Quickres is neat, but the full resolution is laughably small.

Yeah it's another weakness without the Retina concept since not all the apps got updated with nice Retina scaling.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 2, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone that has been wanting a brick of a TB docking station with a bunch of ports and optical and 3.5" drive bays, that'll be $400:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15thunderboltdock.html

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

japtor posted:

For anyone that has been wanting a brick of a TB docking station with a bunch of ports and optical and 3.5" drive bays, that'll be $400:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15thunderboltdock.html

It should be noted that the 400 dollars does not cover the shame of owning something that looks like this:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was looking into building my own multi drive enclosure a while back and thought about using a PC case that looked like that :v:

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I really wish there was a thunderbolt eGPU solution
but then again who really needs the shame of a full size GPU

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Speaking of which, the Belkin Thunderbolt Hub is still MIA. :doh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

terriyaki posted:

:ssh: It's never going to come out. Ever.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

:ssh: It's never going to come out. Ever.
They should've just said "Fall" without actually specifying which year.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Let's just make our own goon Thunderbolt dock, gently caress the haters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

movax posted:

Let's just make our own goon Thunderbolt dock, gently caress the haters.

Zybourne Dock?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Joe Don Baker posted:

Zybourne Dock?

:newlol: Nice one.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Joe Don Baker posted:

Zybourne Dock?

Now that is impressive :golfclap:

As far as I know, Thunderbolt eGPU efforts are being hampered by Intel and/or Apple dictating some seriously harsh standards for enclosures. It's also incredibly expensive.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am really baffled as to how a docking station could cost more than a motherboard. It stinks of bullshit to me.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm giving my laptop to my younger sister and replacing it with an iPad for mobile and a MacMini in my living room, connected to a projector. I'm waiting for the next update to the iPad to buy, but is there any real reason for a non-power-user, non-gamer to wait for the next mac mini to come out? I mean, I want to use the thing as a media center for podcasts, netflix and edx/mit classes and maybe like dick around with app games or something occasionally, I don't know. I mostly just surf the web and listen to medicine-related podcasts. There isn't an real radical updates to anything that will change everything, or problems with the current mac mini for what I want to use it for are there?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Current Mini will do everything you want.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm giving my laptop to my younger sister and replacing it with an iPad for mobile and a MacMini in my living room, connected to a projector. I'm waiting for the next update to the iPad to buy, but is there any real reason for a non-power-user, non-gamer to wait for the next mac mini to come out? I mean, I want to use the thing as a media center for podcasts, netflix and edx/mit classes and maybe like dick around with app games or something occasionally, I don't know. I mostly just surf the web and listen to medicine-related podcasts. There isn't an real radical updates to anything that will change everything, or problems with the current mac mini for what I want to use it for are there?

I use a Mac Mini for development and the only real problem I've ever had with anything is the RAM. Upgraded that to 8 GB and I've been fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Barring a completely different machine, the only obvious/expected reason to wait would be for Haswell's faster graphics, so yeah it seems like the current one would be fine for your uses.

Of course Apple could make some fancy new feature in 10.9 that leverages newer GPUs, but that'd be delaying buying based on total conjecture. That and of the newer features of the GPU I'm not entirely sure what they would use, vs something like Quick Sync which they ended up using for AirPlay mirroring (but not exposed as an API for other encoding apps to use :argh:).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fleshweasel posted:

I am really baffled as to how a docking station could cost more than a motherboard. It stinks of bullshit to me.

That's a pretty good point. I can go to my local PC shop right now and pay just $160 for what is effectively a device with two Thunderbolt transceivers, USB3 + SATA3 + Firewire controllers, plus of course a shitload of ports.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's probably the vendors. In my testing at work over the last 2-3 years, I've found that most USB3 bridges are absolute poo poo. Fujistsu's stuff is alright, but most of the market has JMicron bridges which are really bad. Most host chipsets arent great too. Intel's are decent compared to the earlier ASMedia and Renesas garbage. I've been in no hurry to upgrade my DAS from FW800 to USB3 after I've seen how terrible it is at work. I'll just end up going straight to ThunderBolt, most likely.

I know this is from a few days ago, but I was wondering if you have any tales to tell about ASMedia USB3-SATA bridges. (It sounds like you were disgusted specifically with their host controllers?)

At work, I had to test the performance limits of a USB3 host controller when attached via 1 lane of PCIe 1.x. Therefore, I set out to build a USB3 disk faster than PCIe 1, so that we knew the disk wouldn't be the bottleneck. I tried googling various 2.5" buspowered enclosures to figure out the chipset. ASMedia seemed to be in all of them, so I just grabbed a cheap ASM1051e based enclosure and put a Samsung 840 Pro in it. Surprisingly, when I tested on an Ivy Bridge Linux PC to verify that it could beat PCIe 1, it was good for about 320 MB/s read and write.

So it's at least reasonably fast. I wasn't doing any kind of compatibility or conformance testing, though. No idea if ASMedia bridges are crap there.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 3, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

terriyaki posted:

Other than the bloody ugly Matrox one, is there any other TB docks out there?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fookolt posted:

Now that is impressive :golfclap:

As far as I know, Thunderbolt eGPU efforts are being hampered by Intel and/or Apple dictating some seriously harsh standards for enclosures. It's also incredibly expensive.

Oh sure, when I say it no one laughs :smith:

movax posted:

The Zybourne Dock.

e: requesting thread title change to Mac Hardware Megathread: Zybourne Dock

fleshweasel posted:

Low volumes are probably a huge contributor to cost; the ICs in use certainly aren't cheap, and you are sort of building a motherboard sans all the VRM + CPU support stuff. I'd mostly chalk it up to low volumes though.

And the fact that Apple users will happily pay for "premium" accessories.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm sorry man. I thought for a moment I was on the cutting edge of Apple humor.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

fookolt posted:

Intel and/or Apple dictating some seriously harsh standards for enclosures

Can you elaborate on this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How much is a Thunderbolt 'chip'? As much as the cable?

Maybe one day the Chinese will flood the market with cheap TB parts, but probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
There really must be serious legal or technical barriers to more and cheaper Thunderbolt stuff because the market is absolutely crying out for it. First company to get stuff out there, assuming it's possible, will make a loving mint.