Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el Brainvomito
Dec 30, 2008

by T. Finninho

ZerodotJander posted:

Now I want someone to make a Henry Hatsworth style combo endless runner / match 3 game. Is that basically what this is?
Not really, sorry, it's bit more restrictive since we wanted the puzzle game control the character as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Apocron posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the iPad and iPad mini. Is there a significant in terms of gaming besides screen size? Say I wanted to play Avadon would the mini suffer in terms of gameplay?

I think the general consensus is that both are great for gaming. I've played games on a full sized iPad 2, and I personally enjoy my mini a whole lot more. It's less bulky, and I can easily hold in my hands to play. I have to rest the full sized iPad on something if I'm going to play anything requiring nimble fingers, which I find super annoying.

I've never really been bothered by the smaller screen size; I play any game I want and detail and playability is perfectly acceptable. it's been a while since Avadon, but I recall it playing well (for what is is). Now that I think about it, I downloaded Brogue today (mentioned above), and it's really the first time I've ever thought "Hmmmm, this might play a little bit better on a full-size." But I'm not generally a rogue-like fan, so I'm probably especially horrible at recognizing all those little symbols dancing around. Still, it's fun and plays just fine and a fan probably wouldn't bitch too much about it.

Anyway, someone could call out just as many arguments why the full-size is a great gaming device, and they'd be just as valid. You just need to decide what factors are important to you. I just don't think the smaller screen is a significant con against the mini.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 3, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Apocron posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the iPad and iPad mini. Is there a significant in terms of gaming besides screen size? Say I wanted to play Avadon would the mini suffer in terms of gameplay?

It's the same resolution(so you're not missing anything UI wise), and Apple's guidelines tell developers to make app buttons on the iPad the size such that they would be iPhone sized buttons on the mini. So if you can tap on an iPhone, you can tap on an iPad mini.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Full sized ipad 4:

Pros:
larger screen,
retina,
betterprocessing/performance/memory.

Cons:
Hand fatigue for any held games, Slightly less portable

Mini:

Pros:
Way more comfy & befitting casual gaming,
Lighter,
Portable

Cons:
Not retina,
Smaller screen,
Less processing power and memory.

Despite the above list seemingly favoring the iPad4, I still love my Mini way, way more.

And after about a month with the Mini, honestly I held my wife's 3 and it felt comically heavy.

Figure out what is right for your needs...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
If the next mini has a retina screen and more processing power I'm going to sell my iPad and grab one.

The current one... eh.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Bummey posted:

No pick.

After you push the rock and descend into that first tunnel, march directly west of the heal plant.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's got a neat idea, but do not be fooled, it's execution is quite bad. It moves too fast to handle what it wants you to do... Not fun, sadly.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Apocron posted:

Screen size would affect how large hit targets are for you and whether you mind smaller text for some games. Other than that, I believe the minis use the iPad 2's CPU whereas the 3s have a faster one, though that's not really important for something like Avadon.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

After you push the rock and descend into that first tunnel, march directly west of the heal plant.

I got a lot further since that post, but I'm stuck again! I wasn't going to post about it again but since you quoted me.. I have all 3 icons, I've placed them on the pedestals and opened those underground passages, I've gone up into the tower, gotten all the tablets, walked around the clouds, level 25, annnnnnnnnnd I'm stuck.

I found a room underground with a couple gravestones, stained glass windows and an angel statue but nothing else is in that cave.

vv I'd suggest waiting until the next iteration of the mini.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

duckfarts posted:

Screen size would affect how large hit targets are for you and whether you mind smaller text for some games. Other than that, I believe the minis use the iPad 2's CPU whereas the 3s have a faster one, though that's not really important for something like Avadon.

It's important to note that 3's perform worse than 2's despite having a faster CPU because of the retina.

Buy a mini, they're fantastic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

It's important to note that 3's perform worse than 2's despite having a faster CPU because of the retina.

Buy a mini, they're fantastic.

How important is that to note? How common are performance problems on the 3 compared to those on the 2?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I never knew Beans Quest was good. I'm kind of shocked at all I've seen about it on touch arcade. I didn't think it sucked, I just downloaded it and entirely forgot to fire it up. Do any of you play it, or have you in the past? I kind of assumed it was racist and generic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fallom posted:

How important is that to note? How common are performance problems on the 3 compared to those on the 2?

Framerate stutters a good bit in more graphically demanding games, if that matters to you. For normal games/apps they feel identical.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Framerate stutters a good bit in more graphically demanding games, if that matters to you. For normal games/apps they feel identical.

I haven't really seen any issues in any of the graphically demanding games on my 3 like Storm Raiders and Vice City, except for Real Racing 3.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

Dangit, why is today not April Fools. I could be all Aprils Foolsio.

Yes, it's fine, post away. Hopefully it won't suck (and if it does - you'll know).

This is also me. I kind of got burned out on the grind. Even so, it's a fantastic game for mobile, I just find myself avoiding the grinders more lately.

For a game like this, though, I wonder if it really is a grind. The game is pretty much the same the whole way through, you never change from snaking around. I see three-starring guys more as a marker of long-term playing than as a goal to get to in order to play better.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

jakewastaken posted:

I never knew Beans Quest was good. I'm kind of shocked at all I've seen about it on touch arcade. I didn't think it sucked, I just downloaded it and entirely forgot to fire it up. Do any of you play it, or have you in the past? I kind of assumed it was racist and generic.

Bean's Quest is a good game and one thing you neeeeed to know is that you don't have to complete each level's 3 objectives in the same run; you can save the "beat this level in X jumps" objective until you've completed the others. Getting 3 stars on every level is much, much less infuriating when you aren't banging your head against an impossible brick wall, wondering how in gently caress you can collect every item and get to the end in two and three fourths of a jump.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks to the thread for recommending Ridiculous Fishing. I'm pretty bad at it, but it's so much fun. Jones on Fire is also a lot of fun, you did a really good job Shalinor. :) I'm not a fan of infinite runners, but this one sucked me in (I think it was the kittens??).

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Has anyone tried Motor World: Car Factory? It's a car themed button pressing simulator with some neat game mechanics and a pretty odd style to it. Kind of like Pocket Planes mixed with some veeery light elements from something like Grand Prix story where you build cars and slowly improve on them/take them out for a race.

The only problem I see is that it has social stuff up the rear end so... have a friend code yalls. You can add friends and have them work at your factory or wait until the tutorial prompts you for a code so we both get stuff: FGJQ71

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Det_no posted:

Has anyone tried Motor World: Car Factory? It's a car themed button pressing simulator with some neat game mechanics and a pretty odd style to it. Kind of like Pocket Planes mixed with some veeery light elements from something like Grand Prix story where you build cars and slowly improve on them/take them out for a race.

The only problem I see is that it has social stuff up the rear end so... have a friend code yalls. You can add friends and have them work at your factory or wait until the tutorial prompts you for a code so we both get stuff: FGJQ71

It gets super grindy later with the donuts stuff.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

This was mentioned awhile back without much reaction, but it's worth mentioning again. For anyone who likes roguelikes (and has an iPad), grab this. It's free. It's a good port of a really good game. Pretty accessible for those who aren't yet deep into roguelikes, too. Nice controls, you can drag to move, double tap to move, or use on-screen directional buttons. Also has an auto-explore button like Stone Soup does.

My only complaint is that it can feel a little sluggish, but the developer is working on making it snappier in the next version.

If you want to check out the PC version first, it's here. But the iPad version is free, so might just as well check it out on there.

Couple of screenshots:

Oh man, I totally missed this. Brogue is one of my favorite games. Thanks for the tip!

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Det_no posted:

Actually looks quite cool, besides the F2P grind mentioned below your post. Time to check it out! (still, wtf donuts as the premium currency?)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mozi posted:

For a game like this, though, I wonder if it really is a grind. The game is pretty much the same the whole way through, you never change from snaking around. I see three-starring guys more as a marker of long-term playing than as a goal to get to in order to play better.
It's a grind if you approach it in the sense of "until I 3 star everyone I'm subpar at snaking because my guys are statistically less than best" and see maxing everyone as when you can start competing with others properly.

I'm finding it pretty low key - I grinded up all my unlocked characters to 1 star because why not, but instead of worrying about 2 starring them all I just picked someone I liked and started on them. I've only got one more shop item to buy and after that gems as far as I can tell are literally worthless except for buying stars. In the meantime I'm still placing at least close to the top 100 for SA in Arenas, which gets me tokens that can make up for a lack of stars in unlocking more characters - which will, itself, make it easier to get gems in normal play, leading to being able to buy stars for people I don't want to lead with.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Det_no posted:

I tried it many many months ago when they soft released it in Canada. It was a nice enough premise and the basic gameplay looked alright but a few stumbles really killed it back then. It was one of the earliest huge Facebook integration games and was setup so that you would miss out on content if you didn't get your friends playing as well.

The worst part was once you had hired extra engineers you couldn't fire/retire your early rubbish ones and that made making cars an awful exercise in micromanagement as every engineer wanted to help make it. If your skill 3 fuckwit sneaked in ahead of the skill 50 wave goodbye to the extra profits, research or whatever. You had to literally pick up the crap one(s) and move them as far away as you could and do it repeatedly as they'd immediately beeline for the assembly area again. I filled in a feedback form complaining about this and the dev responded saying it wouldn't be right to fire a worker just because you have hired better... Hopefully they have done something about that choice in the meantime.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fazana posted:

I filled in a feedback form complaining about this and the dev responded saying it wouldn't be right to fire a worker just because you have hired better...

That is hilarious.

Regarding Pixel People - I upgraded the Animal Shelter, and suddenly the Surprises cost twice as much. Is there any way to revert it? I tried building another one to replace it, but it turns out that upgrades affect all of the same building type. Sucks that literally the first building I upgrade turns out to be a move I regret. :(

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Necroneocon posted:

It gets super grindy later with the donuts stuff.

Seems a bit like it yeah. I've read it's manageable if you go super sperg on it and micromanage; Use all your donuts before you level up so they get replenished, build cheaper cars so you get some donuts out of the building process, that and the upgrade that increases your donut storage fills the bar up completely too... but yeah.

It's like British Leyland all over again.

Fazana posted:

Hopefully they have done something about that choice in the meantime.

I guess now you can upgrade your lovely dudes to engineers if you use premium currency? Seems a bit expensive at 15 "cash" a pop but I just started so the money might rack up later on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Corridor posted:

That is hilarious.

Regarding Pixel People - I upgraded the Animal Shelter, and suddenly the Surprises cost twice as much. Is there any way to revert it? I tried building another one to replace it, but it turns out that upgrades affect all of the same building type. Sucks that literally the first building I upgrade turns out to be a move I regret. :(
The last patch doubled the price of surprises to 4mil - you sure it was the upgrade instead of just not noticing it, or is it 8mil now?

(do you get two free every day if you have a duplicate shelter?)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

The last patch doubled the price of surprises to 4mil - you sure it was the upgrade instead of just not noticing it, or is it 8mil now?

Wait 4mil what? It was 220,000 before, and now it's 410,000. Holy crap, suddenly this price doesn't seem so bad. 4mil? :stare:

quote:

(do you get two free every day if you have a duplicate shelter?)

Nah :saddowns:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Autumncomet posted:

Jones on Fire is also a lot of fun, you did a really good job Shalinor. :) I'm not a fan of infinite runners, but this one sucked me in (I think it was the kittens??).
Thanks! ;)

Mozi posted:

It has a progression system to it, which is (of course) balanced to maximize frustration to that point where you're more likely to buy. That isn't a bad thing, of course, but it's certainly a grind, and more of one that I personally care to stick with.

Part of it might be that Nimble Quest lacks smaller goals. You get past the first star on a dude, then you're given an exp bar that almost never moves. No mini quests, nothing else really to do, just a bar that almost never moves.

EDIT: VV Welcome to mobile games. Please leave your coat at the door, and it will cost $20 to get it back.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 3, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Shalinor posted:

That isn't a bad thing, of course

:raise: "Of course"?

I think there is still some debate to be had over whether that is a bad thing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

It has a progression system to it, which is (of course) balanced to maximize frustration to that point where you're more likely to buy. That isn't a bad thing, of course, but it's certainly a grind, and more of one that I personally care to stick with.

Part of it might be that Nimble Quest lacks smaller goals. You get past the first star on a dude, then you're given an exp bar that almost never moves. No mini quests, nothing else really to do, just a bar that almost never moves.

I guess I see it more as Snake than an RPG. I pick it up, play a game, end up with some gems and every few games I can upgrade a guy. But really I just play it to snake for a few minutes and the progression doesn't really affect that as much.

I guess I did grind more in the beginning, with the red gems and upgrading all the powerups, but now I'm just coasting.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

Thanks! ;)

Balancing for frustration and monetization would be bad. Ask anyone in the beta we balanced it to be fun with zero IAP.

We wanted it to be a simple high score game first and foremost.

Kwasimodick
Apr 2, 2013

by XyloJW

jakewastaken posted:

The developer of Bean's Quest, Kumobius, is one of my iOS favorites. Their newer game, "Time Surfer", is $0.99 and really good. It's the "Tiny Wings" gameplay crossed with the rewind feature of "Braid" (really "Pitman"/"Catrap").

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Meanwhile I did discover an actual bug in Pixel People and I've stopped playing until they hopefully fix it.

I noticed you could put people in hotels and combined that with the fact that if you have an empty residence, you can demolish it. Awesome, now I can free up those inefficient buildings, get back some space, etc etc. Started with one of my first apartments that had two people in it that happened to have the mechanic (that works at the cloning facility or whatever). Well, she has an important job and you can't really shut that down, but surely they anticipated this and either move her to the hotel anyway or give me some kind of error message about it. Nope. Now I have one mechanic in my hotel that I can't move out, and two in the house in which I had one originally. So now I can't demolish 6-people homes since I only have five hotel spaces, AND I have an extra resident taking up space.

:bravo:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Apocron posted:

The Mini is an amazing gaming device. I haven't found a single game yet (though it could happen) where the smaller screen was an issues, but the form factor benefits so many games. I cannot recommend it enough, the full size iPad is dead to me now.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Clocks posted:

Meanwhile I did discover an actual bug in Pixel People and I've stopped playing until they hopefully fix it.

I noticed you could put people in hotels and combined that with the fact that if you have an empty residence, you can demolish it. Awesome, now I can free up those inefficient buildings, get back some space, etc etc. Started with one of my first apartments that had two people in it that happened to have the mechanic (that works at the cloning facility or whatever). Well, she has an important job and you can't really shut that down, but surely they anticipated this and either move her to the hotel anyway or give me some kind of error message about it. Nope. Now I have one mechanic in my hotel that I can't move out, and two in the house in which I had one originally. So now I can't demolish 6-people homes since I only have five hotel spaces, AND I have an extra resident taking up space.

:bravo:

While we're on this you should not move your Firefighters to the Hotel either, not until they patch the game. Just a heads up. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Funkz posted:

While we're on this you should not move your Firefighters to the Hotel either, not until they patch the game. Just a heads up. :v:

You can actually fix the firefighters thing. Can't remember exactly what to do, something like putting both of them in the hotel. Apparently it's something to do with the fire station having two of the same professions, it's the only one that has something like that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What does putting people in the hotel actually do? I saw that you can put people in there for Utopium, but aside from trying to clear out residential buildings I can't figure anything out about it.

Also, it looks like the gold star thing might be to get more rare animals.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
drat it's weird how the recent mobile gaming landscape has changed people's opinions on what a game should be.

Nimble Quest at its core is just a simple "high score" arcade game. Think Robotron or Galaga or something. You play through a never-ending set of levels of increasing difficulty trying to get the highest possible score. There's absolutely nothing grindy about it.

A lot of the character progression / upgrades were added in later in the beta to satisfy the urges of those crazy people who can't play a game unless they feel like they're working towards unlocking something.

The entire beta was balanced without IAP and there's a whole line of progression in the game without upgrading a single thing. It's called "playing the game and getting better". Just ask any of the dozens of people in the beta who hit a wall at the Courtyard initially and then, through practice and technique, were able to beat The Depths all without spending a single gem.

If you don't enjoy the gameplay that's fine. It's not for everyone. But to call a game with very minimal "upgrade" progression that was balanced specifically to be fun without IAP a "grind" just seems weird.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Wario In Real Life posted:

drat it's weird how the recent mobile gaming landscape has changed people's opinions on what a game should be.

Nimble Quest at its core is just a simple "high score" arcade game. Think Robotron or Galaga or something. You play through a never-ending set of levels of increasing difficulty trying to get the highest possible score. There's absolutely nothing grindy about it.

A lot of the character progression / upgrades were added in later in the beta to satisfy the urges of those crazy people who can't play a game unless they feel like they're working towards unlocking something.

The entire beta was balanced without IAP and there's a whole line of progression in the game without upgrading a single thing. It's called "playing the game and getting better". Just ask any of the dozens of people in the beta who hit a wall at the Courtyard initially and then, through practice and technique, were able to beat The Depths all without spending a single gem.

If you don't enjoy the gameplay that's fine. It's not for everyone. But to call a game with very minimal "upgrade" progression that was balanced specifically to be fun without IAP a "grind" just seems weird.

Unlocking everything in less than a week of play: "Not enough gameplay".
Taking more than a week to unlock everything in a game: "Grindfest / moneygrab".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think even the most trivial goal or meaningless "you accomplished something!" popup that occurred at steady intervals would satisfy the people that feel like it is grindy. I think it's not that it takes much longer to get the final character upgrades, but that the pace of unlocking/upgrading anything slows way down after you finish upgrading the powerups and get everyone to 2 stars. People need to be given rewards (even meaningless ones) at regular intervals to feel like they are doing well, I had hoped that constantly edging out your high score would be satisfying enough for most people, but it's probably not.

• Locked thread