Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheGoatFeeder posted:

No idea why I predicted City to win the league, it seemed pretty obvious we'd weakened over the Summer and that United had strengthened, blind optimism I suppose.

I think we did the predictions before RVP signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Abu Dave posted:

I think we did the predictions before RVP signed.
It says Arsenal officially announced the transfer on August 15th and the prediction thread was at the start of the month. I think most of us based our United predictions (I think I had City winning as well) on a questionable defense and an aging midfield. RVP and his second best in the league 19 goals (and United's bonkers 39 goal differential at this point) changed things.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

euroboy posted:

Did I make any predictions? I hope not, I vaguely remember saying QPR would stay up and City would win the league and stupid things like that.

A Mixed Bag for euroboy.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Still a few games left, I stand by my prediction.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Since I am quoting other people's, mine was quite hilariously bad and good in equal measure

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
Newcastle really did take a big step backwards, didn't they? Wonder how they'll do next season.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Homura posted:

Newcastle really did take a big step backwards, didn't they? Wonder how they'll do next season.

Well they wont be in Europe so probably better than this season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Don't remember if I made any predictions, I think I probably got QPR going down and United winning the league right at least. Also this is a weird thread to have this discussion in.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://twitter.com/jamosfoundation/status/319102300251631617

David James tweeted that he's signing for Icelandic club IBV as player-coach. IBV is apparently located on an island off of Iceland with 4,000 inhabitants. They play here:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I predicted Gaston Ramirez would be poo poo in one of the transfer threads. Does that count?

(I also predicted Suarez would be poo poo in the EPL)

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Polidoro posted:

I predicted Gaston Ramirez would be poo poo in one of the transfer threads. Does that count?

(I also predicted Suarez would be poo poo in the EPL)

Why do you hate Uruguayans so much.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hallowed Turban posted:

Why do you hate Uruguayans so much.

He's a self-hating Uruguayan.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

It's our national sport.

edit: gaston is poo poo, though. I just thought Suarez was a bit too slow to make it in England and I was wrong.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
You made me feel guilty about Coates not playing man how did you do that.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I completely forgot about Coates, I thought he'd be good for Liverpool. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know poo poo about this soccer thing.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I seem to remember that my own prediction was spot on.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

:iamafag:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ninpo posted:

e: I think Dudley got the first sacking call correct by stating Hughes? Or did Di Matteo go before him? I don't recall.

It was Di Matteo, which ruined thousands of bets on Mark Hughes, who was sacked literally two days later.

I remember laughing at it at work and then also we laughed more when someone said that Benitez was favourite for the job.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
To be fair Hughes was sacked several weeks after he probably ought to have been (or several months, depending on how you look at it).

Grainbarn
Jul 2, 2007

What the fuck did I do?

blue footed boobie posted:

https://twitter.com/jamosfoundation/status/319102300251631617

David James tweeted that he's signing for Icelandic club IBV as player-coach. IBV is apparently located on an island off of Iceland with 4,000 inhabitants. They play here:

That kind of rules.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Dunban posted:

:iamafag:

Beautiful.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Ninpo posted:

e: ^^^ Belge did too.

Just gonna post this for some posterity:

e: lol

Well there goes my former unwavering belief in pissflaps' predictions.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grainbarn posted:

That kind of rules.

IBV's manager:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Found this amoungst a list of old TV idents, thought some of you would like it.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Mickolution posted:

Found this amoungst a list of old TV idents, thought some of you would like it.

Miss that so much :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A keeper in a lower league game in portugal scores a goal just after saving a penalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NZ_Z0S6Uhw

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Ninpo posted:

Since I am quoting other people's, mine was quite hilariously bad and good in equal measure

Show my predictions please Ninpo, pretty sure I had Tottenham in top 3 and Michu as signing of the season.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
In a world where everyone is Jay Rodriguez.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
cheers for the memories billy and good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpFKG8q1I2I

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Galatasaray fans at the Bernabeu

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

peanut- posted:

Galatasaray fans at the Bernabeu

Argh is there a wallpaper-sized version of this anywhere?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyN-qpVfOWA

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
That is a pretty brilliant video. I wonder how long it will be before fans start comparing really abstract statistics like "most corners won in second half" or "On Target shot percentage".

e: I just remembered the big discussion about net vs gross spend, maybe we have already reached that point. Football is dead etc etc :smith:

Redundant fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 4, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

So all those Opta stats actually just come from a guy sitting in front of a computer watching the game and in real time clicking away for each pass and shot, where it was on the field and where it went, and so on? I don't know if that makes it more or less impressive.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Wow, really awesome video. Always wondered about the backroom stuff that goes into football reporting. I want one of those jobs (if nothing else, I'd get a decent stream :argh:)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
That was interesting, I was always curious about how the Opta sausage is made.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Redundant posted:

That is a pretty brilliant video. I wonder how long it will be before fans start comparing really abstract statistics like "most corners won in second half" or "On Target shot percentage".

e: I just remembered the big discussion about net vs gross spend, maybe we have already reached that point. Football is dead etc etc :smith:

Zonal loving marking

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

This is just fascinating, thanks for posting it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

vyelkin posted:

So all those Opta stats actually just come from a guy sitting in front of a computer watching the game and in real time clicking away for each pass and shot, where it was on the field and where it went, and so on? I don't know if that makes it more or less impressive.
My friend's been doing that job (not Opta) for a living for a few months now, watches a ton of games from all over the world. I asked him recently if he had gained any insight about football from doing in-depth analysis on so many games all the time. He just shrugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Starcraft semi-pros gotta pay the bills somehow.

• Locked thread