Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
His work always gave me the impression that he was too big to be mortal. I feel more than sad; I somehow feel like this can't be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
Absolutely gutted by this. God loving drat it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Holy cocking shitbags.

That makes me so sad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Stupid bodies, stupid cancer. Horrible news.

G. Quietly
Oct 23, 2010

Look out for Sirius!
This is some pretty awful news to wake up and find. Cancer is the worst.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
This is really sad news, he's got an incredibly imaginative mind and he's a great author.

Von Bek
May 4, 2006

What a gut punch :(

I'm reading Garbadale right now, this is going to make for a poignant final 150 pages. I doubt I'll ever get round to reading everything he's written, but I like(d) knowing he was out there. I've met him once and he's an incredibly warm and engaging man. He spoke for free at a literary event at my university after a friend approached him through a webchat, and afterwards he took everybody out for pints in the pub. As others have said about, he's very happy to talk to fans, and I've seen him answer the same interview questions several times and be just as fresh and keen to talk on each occasion. He's a great humanist and his books are just wonderful. His reaction and public statement are pure class and 100% Banks.

What a writer. This sucks so unbelievably hard.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

What a loving terrible thing to come online to. Don't know what to feel, can't even reasonably say I'm wishing him the best. Ugh gently caress :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hate to ask this, but I was looking for something new to read and wondering where to start with Iain Banks? Also this news sucks no matter what.

Von Bek
May 4, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I hate to ask this, but I was looking for something new to read and wondering where to start with Iain Banks? Also this news sucks no matter what.

The Wasp Factory will unplug your mind and thoroughly weird you out (probably).

The Crow Road is just brilliant, big rambling coming-of-age family saga full of clever plot lines, great sense of place, comedy, awesome characters, and some thriller-type sections.

Espedair Street is also great, less complex than the other two I've read but a really warm and funny book. And has probably has the funniest dog-based comic episode in literature.

gently caress, I feel sad typing this out :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Well, poo poo.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Goddamn, this is some lovely news to wake up to...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Von Bek posted:

The Wasp Factory will unplug your mind and thoroughly weird you out (probably).

The Crow Road is just brilliant, big rambling coming-of-age family saga full of clever plot lines, great sense of place, comedy, awesome characters, and some thriller-type sections.

Espedair Street is also great, less complex than the other two I've read but a really warm and funny book. And has probably has the funniest dog-based comic episode in literature.

gently caress, I feel sad typing this out :(

Thank you just ordered some books.

prot
Apr 22, 2003

The well-wishers website mentioned in his statement: http://friends.banksophilia.com/

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
This Gentleman#s oeuvre has had a profound effect on many people. how crushing. we really need to get around to sorting out our little mortality problems.

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 3, 2013

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Well this is loving poo poo.

Iain was in email contact with me during a short research project toward the end of my degree. To be able to stand and say during our presentation that Iain Banks had input on our group project was really cool. And when I did those covers he said he liked em.

He's a genuinely good and funny guy and its poo poo to hear that he is ill like this.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
April fools is a week long event in Scotland, right? Month long? poo poo.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Gutted to hear this. One of my favourite authors :(

Von Bek
May 4, 2006

BastardySkull posted:

Iain was in email contact with me during a short research project toward the end of my degree. To be able to stand and say during our presentation that Iain Banks had input on our group project was really cool. And when I did those covers he said he liked em.

He just seems to do this - talk directly to fans and readers rather than going through an agent or publisher. I don't think I've ever met someone who's both a major literary powerhouse and a totally genuine and down-to-earth guy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ah crid wen ah heerd thi news, at leest hi lefd us his thots bcos his mynd wos a feersum endjinn indeed

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

poo poo news. He's one of the few living authors I like. Hope that he and his family get through the next few months okay.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

God drat, this loving sucks. :smith:

What terrible news.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
poo poo. loving cancer. :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh meatbags.

Von Bek
May 4, 2006

gently caress cancer forever.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Fucks sake.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
What sad news :(

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I can't say how sad this makes me. I can't even think of a similar announcement that actually made me cry. This one certainly bloody did.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Just started to reread Look to Windward. So sad news :(.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wolfechu posted:

I can't say how sad this makes me. I can't even think of a similar announcement that actually made me cry. This one certainly bloody did.

Me too. :(

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
This is awful. I saw him at a lecture/book signing for Stonemouth around this time last year, and I couldn't even have dreamed that he'd have only a couple more years left. He was so lively and articulate, and he answered my stupid question about how many words he wrote a day with good grace and humour. It seems like such a short time ago that I got into his books, too.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Daktar posted:

This is awful. I saw him at a lecture/book signing for Stonemouth around this time last year, and I couldn't even have dreamed that he'd have only a couple more years left. He was so lively and articulate, and he answered my stupid question about how many words he wrote a day with good grace and humour. It seems like such a short time ago that I got into his books, too.

Out of curiosity, how did he answer that?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Motherfucker.

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy
Never posted in this topic before but i've read a bit, and i'm loving destroyed right now. Such a good Author, and good man lost. Holy poo poo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gently caress

A friend just told me this news, such a shock to hear. :(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This is the worst.

Why do the good die young

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Wolfechu posted:

Out of curiosity, how did he answer that?

He said that he usually did 4000 a day, up to 10000 if he was writing a particularly long action scene or piece of dialogue. I'm pleased with myself if I can write a thousand in a day.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
aaugh gently caress cancer forever :(

Swamp Fancy
Apr 6, 2003

Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that cardboard box.
Absolutely gutted, my favourite author. Met him when he was doing a reading of his book, steep approach to garbadale at waterstones, manchester. He came across as a really intelligent, humorous bloke but approachable all the same. Can't believe we wont be getting any more books from him, they have been a staple of my adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
Super lovely for everyone. The release of a Culture Book has always been an event for me. Who'd have thought H Sonata would turn into foreshadowing.

gently caress. Pratchett and now this.

• Locked thread