Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Interesting that we haven't heard anything about 10.9 yet. Think they'll announce it when it's almost done at WWDC and release it this summer, foregoing the preview they gave Mountain Lion last year? They said they were moving to a yearly release cycle for OS X right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reeder for Mac (and iPad) just went free. The author is adding backend support for things other than Google Reader so it's a pretty great app to pick up for the low price of zero dollars if you are an RSS user.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Martytoof posted:

Reeder for Mac (and iPad) just went free. The author is adding backend support for things other than Google Reader so it's a pretty great app to pick up for the low price of zero dollars if you are an RSS user.

Sweet. Free Reeder for OS X. Especially since I was using Reeder with my Fever account and not Google Reader already.

edit: well poo poo. No Fever support in OS X one currently :(.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
10.8.4 has updated NVidia drivers, heh.

They should really just start distributing them on their own like they do for the CUDA drivers, and that brief period where they had custom drivers with GTX580 support.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

~Coxy posted:

10.8.4 has updated NVidia drivers, heh.

They should really just start distributing them on their own like they do for the CUDA drivers, and that brief period where they had custom drivers with GTX580 support.

They did for 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 but haven't yet for the latest. It seems like nVidia is a lot more involved in the drivers since Mountain Lion.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DarkJC posted:

Interesting that we haven't heard anything about 10.9 yet. Think they'll announce it when it's almost done at WWDC and release it this summer, foregoing the preview they gave Mountain Lion last year? They said they were moving to a yearly release cycle for OS X right?

I've been thinking about this too. I doubt they would announce it at WWDC and then still release it in the summer. They still need to give developers some time to test it (and John Siracusa would be pissed). I've been thinking that maybe they're going to move the schedule to keep it in line with iOS. Announce them both at WWDC and then release them in the autumn.

Or they could announce it next week for all I know.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

benisntfunny posted:

edit: well poo poo. No Fever support in OS X one currently :(.

It's coming eventually. https://twitter.com/reederapp/status/317003560963407872

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I wish the messages app synced properly with my iPhone/ipad... They should fix that with 10.8.4

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DarkJC posted:

Interesting that we haven't heard anything about 10.9 yet.

I can tell you it's not adhering to the original schedule since a certain someone got the boot.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I wish the messages app synced properly with my iPhone/ipad... They should fix that with 10.8.4

I think the issue with iMessage on Mac is that it doesn't have the ability to synchronize/download messages received or sent while the computer is off. Really stupid limitation but I don't think it's a bug. iMessage is buggy as poo poo in plenty of other ways though if they're looking for things to fix...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I think the issue with iMessage on Mac is that it doesn't have the ability to synchronize/download messages received or sent while the computer is off. Really stupid limitation but I don't think it's a bug. iMessage is buggy as poo poo in plenty of other ways though if they're looking for things to fix...

iMessage on my Mac does this silly thing where it just separates my entire conversation so it looks like I'm kind of talking to myself or I was paranoid and deleted half the conversation.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I realize that when the computer comes back from sleep that iMessage may not be updated, but it never works unless I exit the app and reopen it, then wait a few minutes for the messages to sync. Even then they're never in order properly.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

graph posted:

I can tell you it's not adhering to the original schedule since a certain someone got the boot.

Is this [educated and likely correct] speculation or inside knowledge? :)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lexicon posted:

Is this [educated and likely correct] speculation or inside knowledge? :)

I prefer not to say as all Bothans deserve life.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well along those lines, John Gruber and Clayton Morris both say they've heard that engineers have been shifted from OS X to iOS because iOS 7 is behind schedule.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A lot of apps need reupholstering.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

A lot of apps need reupholstering.

New thread title

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Hey man, it takes a lot of engineer hours for them to work out how to kick off all Hackintosh users (and early Mac Pro users...) from the iMessage authentication servers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Okay, start the count: 10.8.4 beta is out for developers.

That's 1!

It's rumored 10.9 may be delayed due to iOS 7 so this might be an even longer wait!

e: beaten

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is there a thread dedicated to HD backups or should I just use this thread? I need a backup system that automatically backs up files in a certain folder to my external HD when I plug it in. I need it to back up my music folder which I use for DJing (which is about 50+ gigs, which is why I can't use Dropbox/Google Drive stuff). I would use Time Machine, but I need to be able to also transfer these files between PCs and Macs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

keevo posted:

Is there a thread dedicated to HD backups or should I just use this thread? I need a backup system that automatically backs up files in a certain folder to my external HD when I plug it in. I need it to back up my music folder which I use for DJing (which is about 50+ gigs, which is why I can't use Dropbox/Google Drive stuff). I would use Time Machine, but I need to be able to also transfer these files between PCs and Macs.
Just played around with the settings a bit, looks like Carbon Copy Cloner ($40) can do it. Set up a folder to backup to whatever other folder, and schedule it to run when the destination is connected.

Alternatively there's probably a bunch of free stuff that can do it too (and I'd mention them if I knew them), but with CCC you're paying for a well supported easy to use "just works" solution basically.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

japtor posted:

Just played around with the settings a bit, looks like Carbon Copy Cloner ($40) can do it. Set up a folder to backup to whatever other folder, and schedule it to run when the destination is connected.

Alternatively there's probably a bunch of free stuff that can do it too (and I'd mention them if I knew them), but with CCC you're paying for a well supported easy to use "just works" solution basically.

Seconding CCC. Mike Bombich is a pretty cool guy, and both he and the product are worth supporting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Why is the volume control in the upper right always greyed out?

It makes muting/lowering the volume impossible with certain video ads.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Are you using a digital audio output?
However, even then the mute key should still work I believe.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
HDMI. My monitor has built-in (lovely) speakers.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Then you'll need to adjust the volume from the osd of the monitor itself :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Count me as one of those who will not be sad to see their weird yearly OS update path take a detour. I have nothing against progress, but a forced yearly push seems kind of pointless. Why don't you just work on the OS and once you've got enough stuff to make a great update then push a new system.

I don't know how much behind the scenes stuff was updated between 10.7 to 10.8 but the front-facing stuff seems like Mountain Lion could easily have been released as a 10.7.6 update. I know there are were enough changes to warrant dropping support for some devices though, so I mean it's obvious there's some behind the scenes work going on.

I don't know, that's just my two cents. I'll be okay if they stay with a yearly refresh, but I'll also be perfectly okay and even happier if they just work on 10.9 for a year and a half or two years and just give us something truly awesome.

At any rate, at $20-something per update I'm not going to be broken up about it. Even if they stay with the yearly refresh cycle that still comes out cheaper than I'm paying for, let's say, Xbox Live.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how much behind the scenes stuff was updated between 10.7 to 10.8 but the front-facing stuff seems like Mountain Lion could easily have been released as a 10.7.6 update.

This is the Mac version of "Windows XYZ should just have been a service pack for Windows XYZ-1", which is just about as old as Windows itself. I don't mind frequent OS releases, they're an opportunity to drop some old ballast and introduce new features. The last time a major company spent five years on a new OS release, that didn't go so well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress you windows 7 is awesome. 8 not so much. It loving took 3/4 dot releases for laptop to be back to 10.7 autonomy FFS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I realize that, but at the same time 10.7->10.8 was really the first time that I (personally) said "man this feels like it should have been a point release". Admittedly I'm just going off of a gut feeling, but that's how I saw it.

10.6 had a relatively long shelf life and I thought we we that much better for it because 10.7 was actually really great.

On the other hand, while I'm happy that 10.9 might be getting delayed, I don't think it means anything for the features/functionality of the OS. It's not like the team has extra time to work on better poo poo for 10.9 if they've been diverted onto iOS. It just means there's less folks coding 10.9 so the same amount of features as the yearly rollout would have entailed will just take them longer to code. This isn't really a win/win for fans of longevity like me either.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 3, 2013

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Martytoof posted:

a forced yearly push

This isn't the development mantra for 10.9.

Martytoof posted:

if they just work on 10.9 for a year and a half or two years and just give us something truly awesome.

This is more correct than you probably realize.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Why is everyone just assuming the next version is 10.9? What about like, OS XI? I mean it's gotta happen sometime right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The versioning scheme is kind of weird with such rapid updates. It almost feels like they should change to a year naming scheme like they do with their hardware. OSX 2013, 2013.1, 2013.2, 2014, etc.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

Why is everyone just assuming the next version is 10.9? What about like, OS XI? I mean it's gotta happen sometime right?

Ugh I hope not. It bugs me enough that people call it Oh Ess Ex. Oh Es Sex Eye would just be too much.

Also thirding Martytoof. Yearly OS updates are a pain if you have to juggle lab software and hardware compatibility.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

lord funk posted:

Ugh I hope not. It bugs me enough that people call it Oh Ess Ex. Oh Es Sex Eye would just be too much.

Also thirding Martytoof. Yearly OS updates are a pain if you have to juggle lab software and hardware compatibility.

If you're my boss then pronunciation is not an issue. He currently says "Ossix," so I assume 11 would be "Ossixey."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hope they update and fix some kinks in OpenGL support; it's only the loving backbone of the entire graphics rendering system in OS X.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

computer parts posted:

It's rumored 10.9 may be delayed due to iOS 7 so this might be an even longer wait!

e: beaten

I don't know what the hell they were thinking "announcing" that OS X was moving to a yearly cycle. Now it's perceived as late rather than simply released when it was ready.

An odd move for a company so otherwise committed to not commenting on future products/releases.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Binary Badger posted:

Hope they update and fix some kinks in OpenGL support; it's only the loving backbone of the entire graphics rendering system in OS X.

Its gotten way better each point release for Mountain Lion. I expect that to continue.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Lexicon posted:

I don't know what the hell they were thinking "announcing" that OS X was moving to a yearly cycle. Now it's perceived as late rather than simply released when it was ready.

An odd move for a company so otherwise committed to not commenting on future products/releases.
I don't think they were anticipating senior level management changes when Cook said OS X would be a yearly release cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Lexicon posted:

They announced that before the executive shuffle late last year.