Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Lyz, Liam is a bottomless pit. No joke. He just turned two a couple weeks ago (:toot:), and today's food was approximately (in order from waking up): Half an adult sized bowl of cereal, a greek yogurt cup, 4 gingersnaps, a cheese stick, an apple, two turkey hotdogs, another cheese stick, some pretzels, an applesauce cup, an entire adult sized cereal bowl of spaghetti and meat sauce, a mini ice cream sandwich, a fruit cup, another applesauce cup. I swear to you, some days he eats as much as I do.

At his two year check up, he was 34lbs and 37 inches. He's big, but proportionate. I understand your concerns about keeping him hungry enough to be interested in meals. I share this concern with regards to Liam, so I don't do any snacks after nap. So from about 3ish-5ish he's on water only. That's enough to do it. Dinner is the only structured meal we have, so I focus on that one.

Here he is eating the butt end of some lettuce, because he has no taste buds apparently. ;)

Edit: I love Tim too. Here's a picture of Tim being Tim. (Yes, it looks like Toys R Us threw up in our house.) He was making a time-machine train. It ended up being 4 boxes long.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

frenchnewwave posted:

Is she breastfed? The pediatrician told me he'd never worry about a breastfed baby gaining too much. Also, I've read that they tend to gain more early and it balances out as they get older. I don't know how true that is but I wouldn't worry. My baby was born 9lb and now weighs 16lb at 4.5 months. The pediatrician says all is ok.

Half and half. My wife has been unable to produce enough breastmilk so we've been supplementing, which makes it hard to determine the correct amount to feed. We've been feeding to hunger.

The past day, she's eaten much less (but still a healthy amount), so we're thinking that she may have been on a growth spurt recently.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Acrolos posted:

Half and half. My wife has been unable to produce enough breastmilk so we've been supplementing, which makes it hard to determine the correct amount to feed. We've been feeding to hunger.

The past day, she's eaten much less (but still a healthy amount), so we're thinking that she may have been on a growth spurt recently.

That's the same experience I went (am going) through. We are now at a 70/30 mix of breastmilk and formula. If your wife is feeling like her supply is insufficient, it's even more important to nurse on demand. It helps the body with production. Growth spurts are fun, huh? Just wait until you get to the mental leaps :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Any recommendations for inexpensive (but sturdy) cribs other than Ikea? The crib we're using is old and has been recalled, but is old enough that I can no longer get the parts that will make it safe. The baby is 9 months old, so I don't want to drop a ton of money on a crib that we're already 1/3rd of the way through the useful period on.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Any recommendations for inexpensive (but sturdy) cribs other than Ikea? The crib we're using is old and has been recalled, but is old enough that I can no longer get the parts that will make it safe. The baby is 9 months old, so I don't want to drop a ton of money on a crib that we're already 1/3rd of the way through the useful period on.

We use a Graco 4-in-1 convertible we got for $130 at Target (but here's the Amazon link) and it's on our second kid. It's very sturdy and easy to put together. It can last through the big kid stage as one side becomes the headboard for a twin sized bed. The middle stage makes it a day bed. We purchased a toddler bed once we were close to my due date with #2 and wanted our daughter out of it sooner rather than later so it'd be less of an adjustment for her.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Well, little dude has learnt to crawl, sortof.
I can only describe the style so far as a very drunk person trying to crawl through thick mud. It's getting better though.
Plus, a tooth has just popped through.

His sleep has gotten much better over the couple of nights since the tooth (which is still only tiny but it's there! A tiny little razor peeking up out of the gum) and the start of proper forward movement.
He's going down really easily again, which is lovely.

Hurray!

Bonus:
Kid in playpen (pen is about 5x5 feet), he doesn't take up much space yet.

He likes playing with my laptop keyboard, so we got him one of his own.

I like to call this one 'OMG, they said WHAT!?'

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So my child is just under a month old and things have been going pretty well prior to the past 4-5 days, as it relates to sleep. Lately, she will only sleep if being held. If we lay her down, regardless of where, she will fuss, whine, cry, etc. occasionally we will sneak an hour out of her, but for the most part, she only likes to be held.

According to all of the experts, you can't hold your child too much at this stage...but with her so reliant on constantly being held, I'm worried that if we don't start forcing her to stay down more we will have a child that refuses to sleep without one of us holding her.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

So my child is just under a month old and things have been going pretty well prior to the past 4-5 days, as it relates to sleep. Lately, she will only sleep if being held. If we lay her down, regardless of where, she will fuss, whine, cry, etc. occasionally we will sneak an hour out of her, but for the most part, she only likes to be held.

According to all of the experts, you can't hold your child too much at this stage...but with her so reliant on constantly being held, I'm worried that if we don't start forcing her to stay down more we will have a child that refuses to sleep without one of us holding her.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

She's way too young for you to establish anything routine-wise. Babies need to be held. You cannot spoil your baby by holding her too much.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

She's way too young for you to establish anything routine-wise. Babies need to be held. You cannot spoil your baby by holding her too much.

I understand that, and that's what all of the experts say. My issue is that she refuses anything BUT being held. 24 hours a day, she demands it, and if she isn't being held, she's crying, whining, and fussy. As much as I'd like to hold my baby for 24 straight hours, it's just not feasible. My wife and I are at a loss and operating on about three full days of no sleep as a result of it.

I'm not really worried about spoiling her as much as I am concerned about her refusal to sleep on anything that isn't one of us.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 3, 2013

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Acrolos posted:

I understand that, and that's what all of the experts say. My issue is that she refuses anything BUT being held. 24 hours a day, she demands it, and if she isn't being held, she's crying, whining, and fussy. As much as I'd like to hold my baby for 24 straight hours, it's just not feasible. ,y wife and I are at a loss and operating on about three full days of no sleep as a result of it.

This is pretty normal and it's called the fourth trimester. Invest in a good baby carrier (not a Bjorn) and look up safe co-sleeping to get you through it (if you absolutely don't want to co-sleep, you can take shifts sleeping and holding instead).

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

I understand that, and that's what all of the experts say. My issue is that she refuses anything BUT being held. 24 hours a day, she demands it, and if she isn't being held, she's crying, whining, and fussy. As much as I'd like to hold my baby for 24 straight hours, it's just not feasible. My wife and I are at a loss and operating on about three full days of no sleep as a result of it.

I'm not really worried about spoiling her as much as I am concerned about her refusal to sleep on anything that isn't one of us.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You shouldn't be concerned about her wanting to sleep on people right now. That's what babies do in the early months. It's completely normal.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Acrolos posted:

have you tried a swaddle? My son will not sleep or nap unless his arms are restrained in a swaddle since he likes to grab at his face and wake himself up. It also helps him feel secure. I always hold him in the swaddle prior to laying him down for cuddles, too.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

Mnemosyne posted:

The Dream On Me Classic 2 in 1 Convertible Stationary Side Crib is what we got for our daughter when we switched her over. I think it has 3 height levels and then converts to a 3 sided bed afterwards. It's pretty sturdy and we've had no problems with it. Big plus is it's less than $100 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035ER8FI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and there are 4 or 5 colors.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. You shouldn't be concerned about her wanting to sleep on people right now. That's what babies do in the early months. It's completely normal.

It may be "normal", but operating on zero sleep (I truly mean no sleep at all) for 72 hours, I'm not sure hw I can be an effective parent, regardless of how normal it is. That is very concerning for me. I am delirious and have almost dropped her a few times because I am basically a walking zombie because of such a severe lack of sleep.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

bamzilla posted:

have you tried a swaddle? My son will not sleep or nap unless his arms are restrained in a swaddle since he likes to grab at his face and wake himself up. It also helps him feel secure. I always hold him in the swaddle prior to laying him down for cuddles, too.

Yes, we have tried to swaddle, but that makes her much more agitated than simply laying her down without. She is a very "kicky" baby and will throw a fit until she gets her legs free.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

It may be "normal", but operating on zero sleep (I truly mean no sleep at all) for 72 hours, I'm not sure hw I can be an effective parent, regardless of how normal it is. That is very concerning for me. I am delirious and have almost dropped her a few times because I am basically a walking zombie because of such a severe lack of sleep.

Switch off. One parent watches the baby and the other sleeps. Do you have family nearby who could watch the baby in the house while you guys sleep in the other room? No sleep definitely sucks. I don't think the answer is leaving the baby to cry though. You're not asking questions so I'm not sure what to suggest. ;)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Acrolos posted:

Yes, we have tried to swaddle, but that makes her much more agitated than simply laying her down without. She is a very "kicky" baby and will throw a fit until she gets her legs free.

Do you have a baby swing? My son will happily sleep in it, it's the only place he'll nap when not being held.

4-6 weeks is a super hard time, we are just (hopefully) coming out of it. All you can do is power through it. As for being swaddled, I would swaddle her, hold her and rock her and pat her bottom for awhile, sometimes it takes them a few to realize they're comfortable and 'reset.'

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Acrolos posted:

One of the best swaddles I found was the double swaddle. Easy and fast to do, leaves the legs free but secures the arms really nicely. Give it a try. Here's a link to the Youtube on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnsKlluHIg

Here's a link to the swaddles they are using in the video-big muslin swaddles: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=muslin+swaddle+blankets&sprefix=muslin+swa%2Caps%2C294

Also, I recommend getting a baby sling. It's super easy to use. You don't have to learn how to wrap it like a mobi or anything like that. You and your wife can both wear it as it's very easy to adjust the size. Just wrap the baby and snuggle her into the sling.
http://www.amazon.com/Sears-Adjusta...&keywords=Sling

Also, read this book - "The Happiest Baby on the Block". You don't have to agree with the science behind the method, but the method does work. You can skip over the beginning about the why and get to the nitty gritty about HOW. Again, easy to learn and super effective.
http://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Baby...by+on+the+block

Good luck. You're still in the 4th trimester. Things WILL get better even if they seem like they never will. You and your wife need to make a concerted effort to split watching the kid. Take 4 hour shifts so you guys are getting at least SOME sleep. You don't have to sleep together right now. That will come back, but do what you need to survive right now.

Hope all this helps. You're gonna be fine!

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Thanks for the last two responses. I am going to look into all of that! We also bought a "woombie" which has good reviews on amazon. I guess it's worth a shot.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Acrolos posted:

Thanks for the last two responses. I am going to look into all of that! We also bought a "woombie" which has good reviews on amazon. I guess it's worth a shot.

we have the woombie and leave the legs out if he gets kicky. It works well.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
White noise works really well on my 6 week old! She usually wants to be held at all times during the day, but sleeps reasonably well with white noise

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Acrolos posted:

Dear prudence already offered some different ways to swaddle, but how exactly are you swaddling? We used a swaddleme, and the legs aren't restrained in it--it's a loose bag on bottom. That might be easier!

Happiest Baby in the Block is the best book on the topic, to me.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Switch off. One parent watches the baby and the other sleeps. Do you have family nearby who could watch the baby in the house while you guys sleep in the other room? No sleep definitely sucks. I don't think the answer is leaving the baby to cry though. You're not asking questions so I'm not sure what to suggest. ;)

My question was simply to try to get some advice on how to handle the situation, which a lot of people have provided so far, so I'm quite thankful for that. Just to note, we aren't leaving her to cry. We hold her until she falls asleep (and usually has been asleep for a while), and then we lay her down. The crying will begin in a matter of a few minutes or so, then we pick her up and hold her again.

Ben Davis posted:

Dear prudence already offered some different ways to swaddle, but how exactly are you swaddling? We used a swaddleme, and the legs aren't restrained in it--it's a loose bag on bottom. That might be easier!

we have just been using the general swaddling technique with a light blanket that we learned in our baby classes and they used at the hospital. I am just now learning that there are other methods. We do have a few sleep sacks, but she isn't very fond of those. I'm not familiar with the swaddleme, but I'm going to check it out.

Edit: Actually, I didn't realize it was called that until I looked it up, but we have a swaddleme, and our baby HATES it. So that one is out for us, unfortunately.

rectal cushion posted:

White noise works really well on my 6 week old! She usually wants to be held at all times during the day, but sleeps reasonably well with white noise

We have a humidifier in our room (she is currently sleeping in a pack and play in our room) that she seems to work well with, but it emits a cold vapor that cools the room down a bit too much. Maybe I'll look into a white noise machine.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 3, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
There are also white noise apps that work quite well.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

We use a Sleep Sheep that makes womb noises, a regular white noise machine, have a fan running on low, AND play the radio at a very low volume. He absolutely will not sleep if it's quiet, and it helps cover any sudden noises that would otherwise wake him.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cooling the room shouldn't be an issue as long as they're dressed appropriately. In fact: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
When Soren was getting fussy when he was tiny I used to plop him in one of these bouncer things with the vibrate on and the music setting (it also has heartbeat and waterfall noises) and he would settle and sleep quite well. Perhaps an hour or two, which was enough for me to catch a few zz's on the couch at the same time.

We have one of those 5 seater corner couches, so we put one of those big U pillows in the corner & he was quite happy to sleep up with us, I think he felt cosy all nestled into the pillow. I swaddled him in the very beginning too, in the pillow - double hugs. We used to feed him there too, he would doze off after a bottle and we would just leave him there to sleep. I'd just sit nearby and watch TV or tinker on the laptop, it didn't bother him.

If he was sleeping he stayed where he was. Sometimes it meant he was sleeping on the couch with us until we went to bed, then of course he went into his cot during the night.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Our little guy hated the SwaddleMe because it was too constrictive around his legs, but does fine in a Halo SleepSack Swaddle. It's just as described, a sleepsack with a swaddle for the arms attached. Lets him kick away all he wants, but still swaddles the arms nice and snug. And if you just want a sleepsack, you just wrap the swaddle bit around with his arms free.

That said, I completely understand the only sleeping when being held, since that's the stage our 11 week old is at right now most nights. Luckily for my sleep schedule, he's definitely learned that my face is not the one with boobs attached. :) Not so sure my wife is too amused by this turn of events, but it's crazy how he can fuss non-stop while I'm holding him, but calm right down when I hand him over to her. We've even tested holding him exactly the same way in the same rocking chair, and he always knows.

About the only other thing that works for keeping him asleep for more than a few minutes is a swing, which is now called the "magic swing" in our house. Sometimes no amount of rocking/ssshing/bouncing will get him to settle, but plop him in the swing with the mobile, lights and music going, and he might just settle down in seconds and be out like a light in a few minutes. Magic as far as we're concerned, but we'll take it.

In fact, we just bought one of these from Amazon, since he really seems to prefer the sleeping position in the swing vs. his bassinet:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A4B36ME

Should be here in the next couple days, so we'll see how it goes. 6 week preemie means even at 11 weeks we've got a long ways to go before we can hope for a decent night's sleep.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kids woot has sleep sacks on sale today for $9.99
http://kids.woot.com/

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
So I know letting babies cry a bit to get them to sleep is highly discouraged, but what about 17 month olds? Chris' bedtime has gone to absolute poo poo - before we had a wonderful, tractable kid that you could do the whole routine with, put him in the crib, and he would go to sleep on his own between 7 and 7:30. Now, we're still fighting to get him down at 9pm.

Is it normal for bedtimes to get pushed back like this as they need less sleep? He pretty consistently wakes up at 7am, takes a 1 to 1 and 1/2 hour nap 3-4 hours later (I have tried pushing this back but when he basically starts whining at everything I know it's sleep time), and that's really it for the day. Should I reintroduce a musical animal again? He definitely has his blankets as security objects, and I do still use a pacifier.

The only theory I have that made his bedtimes go to crap was two weeks we spent in Florida, where he slept in his pack n play and because it was strange we laid with him on a bed and then transitioned him to it when he was almost asleep. But the first few days back home he switched back to his crib fine, and before then I would lay with him to get him to nap and he still never had a problem going to sleep on his own at night. So I'm not sure what to do - go back to laying with him just to get him back into the habit of falling asleep at a proper time, let him fuss because I know he's aware enough to know that bedtime means bedtime, or just suck it up as just another way that toddlers run you ragged.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
At first glance, his nap seems pretty early to me. Most toddlers who are on one nap are napping in the afternoon (noon or 1 pm). Maybe he's getting too overtired?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I agree, that's a long stretch to be awake with no break. I would try starting the bedtime routine earlier.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Good news for once! I just heard that my daughter's kindergarten does some sort of "speech therapy" thing after hours as part of their many trial programs. One of our neighbors is sending sending her son there for it even though he goes to a different kindergarten, and it's done wonders for his speech. Here's hoping it'll work out for our little one, too :)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Amelia Song posted:

I agree, that's a long stretch to be awake with no break. I would try starting the bedtime routine earlier.

Sometimes he takes an afternoon nap if I'm driving him around, but I have tried to push his morning nap back and he either has meltdown after meltdown by hour 4, or he all but falls asleep on you. If you take him anywhere he'll be out in the car seat before you can blink. It's a weird sleep schedule but it always seemed to work for him before.

But I agree, I guess I will try to keep him more stimulated and push the nap back. Unfortunately he goes to bed late, and then he wakes up late and it makes the nap late... it's a hard cycle to break.

Edit: No late nap today, he's into meltdown mode three and a half hours after waking. We'll try an earlier bedtime today I guess, usually the husband holds out till 7:30ish, maybe 6:45 we'll start the process.

Edit #2: Started the bedtime process at 7pm, he's still fighting it an hour later. What the hell happened to our lovely, tractable baby?

Lyz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 8, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does anyone have any recommendations for baby safe paint? I want to paint something plastic that could potentially end up being mouthed or licked, but its not a chew toy. A spray paint would be ideal for what I want to paint. I can also put a clear coat on it if I need to.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Lyz posted:

Sometimes he takes an afternoon nap if I'm driving him around, but I have tried to push his morning nap back and he either has meltdown after meltdown by hour 4, or he all but falls asleep on you. If you take him anywhere he'll be out in the car seat before you can blink. It's a weird sleep schedule but it always seemed to work for him before.

But I agree, I guess I will try to keep him more stimulated and push the nap back. Unfortunately he goes to bed late, and then he wakes up late and it makes the nap late... it's a hard cycle to break.

Edit: No late nap today, he's into meltdown mode three and a half hours after waking. We'll try an earlier bedtime today I guess, usually the husband holds out till 7:30ish, maybe 6:45 we'll start the process.

Edit #2: Started the bedtime process at 7pm, he's still fighting it an hour later. What the hell happened to our lovely, tractable baby?

How I transitioned both my boys from two naps to one (right about 17-18 months) was pushing through the morning not by keeping them MORE stimulated, but by using the time they would normally go down for a morning snooze for a 30 minute TV break. (Yup, I said it. Judge me if you want to.) About 9:30 we'd watch the last half of Sesame Street. We love you, Elmo. It let them zone out and mentally rest, and they were physically calm. Caliou, or any other sort of visual Xanax would do the trick too. They were used to having that rest break, so they still need a mental rest, even if sleep isn't feasible anymore. We'd have a story to wrap it up and then move on with the morning. A quick trip to the store was always good at that point, (change of scenery, a diversion) then lunch and nap around noon. Now nap for Liam is 1 or 1:30 to 3 or 3:30ish, and bed is 7:30--and I mean lights out. The bath starts between 6-6:30. He sleeps from then until about 6:30-7 am.

I know that's not exactly what you're going through, but I thought pushing through the too early naptime to a better afternoon nap would really help you out. You want a solid, mid-day nap. Do it in half hour increments. Push nap back a little bit each day, and make bedtime earlier--I would start the bedtime process by 6, or even 5:30 if you have to during the schedule transition. By the time he gets to the evening, he's probably over tired by A LOT and that is what is causing the reluctance to go to bed--he's wired. I don't get the vibe he needs less sleep; he probably needs more--or at least his sleep/wake intervals need to be adjusted so he's more balanced. Going 8 or so hours from nap to bed is way too long, I think. Or at least, if Liam had to go from noon to 7, and THEN we started the bedtime routine, we'd be rolling into at least hour number two of total bedlam--which it sounds like you are suffering through.

FWIW, my pediatrician has said that toddlers/kids (not little babies) that *always* fall asleep in the car, no matter how short the trip, are generally sleep deprived and need more sleep opportunities during the day/night.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc A sleep link, with a chart.

Best of luck; you will figure out a way through it in the end! ;)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Thanks, last night was hell but tonight was a bit better. We took the toys out of his nursery and let him wind down with lots of reading. Still went to bed kind of late for my taste (8:30) but a lot less stressful on everyone. Last night was just screaming and him fighting sleep no matter how we tried to put him down and ugh.

Apparently there is such a thing as an 18 month sleep regression, and it happens because.... who knows. Fun fun.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Two questions for the thread today.
#1: Kiddo's first tooth is just beginning to break through the gum. I have some chewy-things in the freezer, and bought some extra baby tylenol. Does anyone else have any suggestions, things I should keep in the house for successive teeth, etc? Checked out the "teething tables", was distressed to see they are homeopathic *and* have (some portion of) belladonna. Seriously, belladonna!? WTF.

#2: She's not even close to mobile yet but I want to start childproofing now. I am going to buy some of those doorhandles for every door, and two gates to keep her out of the kitchen. What else is good or something I might not have thought of? We have some old-rear end drawer stoppers but they seem like they'd be pretty easy to figure out pretty quick (or just operate with two little hands). I was apparently an eater of everything, my mother was regaling me with stories of the inappropriate things I put in my face as a kid and the hospital visits and poison control calls that ensued...

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
We have the old-fashioned kind of cabinet locks for now, and when/if he figures those out, we'll install the magnetic ones. We left as many open as we could--one that's full of towels and napkins and the ones for unbreakable pots & pans, so he has something to interact with in the kitchen. You can always move the poisons high up, too!

Kosta hated most chewy things but LOVED this one http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Silicone-Teether-Bristles-Colors/dp/B005LETP1A because it's got a bristly feel and was soft and easy to hold. It's also easy to attach to a paci clip if you're out and about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Cathis posted:

Two questions for the thread today.
#1: Kiddo's first tooth is just beginning to break through the gum. I have some chewy-things in the freezer, and bought some extra baby tylenol. Does anyone else have any suggestions, things I should keep in the house for successive teeth, etc? Checked out the "teething tables", was distressed to see they are homeopathic *and* have (some portion of) belladonna. Seriously, belladonna!? WTF.

#2: She's not even close to mobile yet but I want to start childproofing now. I am going to buy some of those doorhandles for every door, and two gates to keep her out of the kitchen. What else is good or something I might not have thought of? We have some old-rear end drawer stoppers but they seem like they'd be pretty easy to figure out pretty quick (or just operate with two little hands). I was apparently an eater of everything, my mother was regaling me with stories of the inappropriate things I put in my face as a kid and the hospital visits and poison control calls that ensued...

Well, if they're homeopathic, they don't actually have any belladonna in them :science:

These things are great. they can chew them through the wrapper, or you can open them up for a sweet treat. http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4go4dDcRp1qih1ozo1_400.jpg

tylenol and orajel are basically magical faerie dust, buy lots.