Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zylche posted:

Have fun trawling this mess and point out the highlights of horrible games, hopefully someone can put together an adequate interface at some point.

Huh. The Vestibule was a Ren'py visual novel some guy made for the VN equivalent of Nanowrimo in 2011. I didn't think Android Ren'py builds had controller support, but I just plugged my DS3 into my Prime, ran my own RP project and hey, it works. So, given that, we'll probably see a glut of terrible Original English Language Visual Novels, the likes of which are regularly ridiculed on weeaboo.nl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

zylche posted:

Yeah that's a good way to find out how popular the OUYA is, I might go find what the most liked game is actually...

I'm about half way through, and so far 26 is the high. FF3 = 21, Beast Boxing = 13, The Ball = 9, Twitch.TV app = 7.

These numbers are terrible. I'd assume just no one has gotten the system yet, but it's been a few days since launch now.

Edit: Actually, are these organized by number of likes? Stalagfight is first with 26, everything else is below that with stuff at the bottom being at 0.
Edit2: Nope, guess I was wrong, looked like it though. Think I finished them all now though 26 is the high.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 4, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Yeah the number of likes is pretty depressing/hilarious. Here's a sample:

Stalagflight 26
Canabalt 21
FF3 21
Gunslugs 15
Radiant 11
Beast Bozing Turbo 13
Save the Puppies! 9
Rage Runner 9
Knightmare Tower 10
The Little Crane that Could 8
The Ball 9
iMech Online 2
Subatomic Kangaroo World Tour 1
Space Repair Inc. 0 :smith:

e: hahahaha oh jeez

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 4, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

zylche posted:

Well the point of their store is everything is free to try, so those apks should just be the demo versions if anything. All the site is doing is replicating the OUYA's storefront, nothing out of the ordinary.

Ah yeah, I see. I sideloaded Stalagflight from one of those links onto my phone and it runs but doesn't mention anything about purchasing the full app. Guessing it's a free one. Downloading FF3 now to see what that says but I did notice some apps in there with "free" in the package name so I guess piracy is still going to be easy for people but not quite THAT easy.

edit: FF3 started up, popped up a dialogue that said "connecting" and then sat at a black screen. Time to go cancel my credit cards I guess. OOOOOOUYA!

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 4, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

XboxPants posted:

Also, the controller faceplates are held on by magnets. It's aluminum.

I can't wait until that aluminum starts tarnishing and oxidizing from gamers' sweaty palms. Or rusting because someone left it too close to a glass of water or something.

Like unpainted aluminum does, you know. (Yeah I know he's already been mocked about this but holy loving poo poo. loving magnets, how do they work?)

Also holy poo poo they made the controller plates out of loving steel?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

theflyingorc posted:

It's possible that you can give them a bad number and it will still let you in, I've heard no reports either way.

edit: I don't know who gave me my avatar and user icon, but I'll take it.

I was going to say that, but usually most stores (IE: Any that are worth a drat) easily detect fake numbers and can even sus out whether its a Visa, Mastercard, etc. by its numbers. Though you really can't assume anything with these people, as it very well might let you put all zeroes in and work anyway.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'm going to laugh so hard the first time a bug report gets filed from nerd sweat overpowering the magnets.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
How thick are these faceplates exactly? Because aluminum deforms really easily, and doesn't spring back like typical controller plastic does. I can easily see them getting bent in shipping, or if they get sat on, or if someone tries to pull them off incorrectly. It's almost as if they tied themselves to this stupid idea without any thought to how it would function in the real world.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

So just looking at Stalagfight, one of the "AAA OUYA games," it has 26 likes. I can get more likes than that by posting bullshit on Facebook. I'm not sure what "likes" mean in this situation, but it seems like a low level of activity for the OUYA launch.

I'm more shocked at how the gently caress they can run The Ball without the thing exploding. Seriously, how?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JazzFlight posted:

Aluminum is a non-ferrous metal. It can't be magnetized, dude.

You can attach magnets to aluminum. It's not hard nor does it need any sort of high-tech equipment but god help you if you get poo poo like the epoxy/adhesive on your skin or work with it and don't have protective gear on for at least your face because the fumes from it are pretty horrible iirc. The last place I worked at had one of these machines that was from the 70s, probably older, and just pours out epoxy that holds the magnets (and their spacers) in to whatever's holding them. Usually it was square cups about 2"x2"x1" if I remember right and when that poo poo hardens it's like cement. Both the regular and rare earth magnets were usually put in to aluminum holders that were then attached to machines or other equipment they were being made for.

The NERVEGEAR is a joke for many reasons but lets not get carried away and assume something as basic as attaching magnets to another object isn't something that has been possible for decades by competent people.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
"EMUya is an NES emulator with an indie game store. Support for Atari 2600, SNES, and Gameboy coming soon!"

Not tagged sandbox. There are other even less legal emulators in the sandbox already, I am sure that Nintendo is thrilled.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

JackMackerel posted:

I'm more shocked at how the gently caress they can run The Ball without the thing exploding. Seriously, how?

Someone posted this earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIZ5nSPywTk It looks like total rear end and seems to run about about 15 FPS, that's how.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can attach magnets to aluminum. It's not hard nor does it need any sort of high-tech equipment but god help you if you get poo poo like the epoxy/adhesive on your skin or work with it and don't have protective gear on for at least your face because the fumes from it are pretty horrible iirc. The last place I worked at had one of these machines that was from the 70s, probably older, and just pours out epoxy that holds the magnets (and their spacers) in to whatever's holding them. Usually it was square cups about 2"x2"x1" if I remember right and when that poo poo hardens it's like cement. Both the regular and rare earth magnets were usually put in to aluminum holders that were then attached to machines or other equipment they were being made for.

The NERVEGEAR is a joke for many reasons but lets not get carried away and assume something as basic as attaching magnets to another object isn't something that has been possible for decades by competent people.

If that's the truth then they still did a poo poo job, all of the faceplates coming off during shipping or whatever.

This is literally the main screen shot for a game on OUYA

And holy poo poo, the tags: 1-20, 21-40, 41-60
Are they seriously sorting their games by tagging them into groups like that? What the gently caress

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't be ridiculous, nobody is saying that it's impossible to attach one thing to another thing using an adhesive, that would be loving retarded. We're mocking Xboxpants because of his assertion that the faceplates must be aluminum because there are magnets attached to it, and of course the faceplates are aluminum because it's attached magnetically!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Some of this was posted before but here is the rest about the controller. Because for fucks sake, this is a $50 controller!

quote:

Swappable faceplates are an interesting idea, but the execution results in what can only be called a design flaw. Each plate is held on by six magnets, making them perhaps a little too easy to remove. We've seen photos from a number of eager gamers who opened up their OUYA box to find one or both controller faceplates loose in the box, which certainly opens the door to damage during shipment.

Another problem is that they don't seem to sit flush. We looked at two OUYA consoles and on one, the left plate would poke out slightly at the top when affixed. On the other, it's the right-most plate that doesn't quite fit.

Finally, and most critically, the right plate poses some serious problems to both the right analog stick and the face buttons. When you spin the analog stick around its extent, it catches on the edge of the faceplate. Additionally, we repeatedly had issues with the four face buttons getting stuck beneath the faceplate. It was most commonly the green O button, because that's the one you'll be using most frequently, but all four can and will get stuck.

Lag was a bit of a problem with the controller, not enough to be noticeable in casual games but those requiring more precise timing it can be a bit of a problem. We're curious to see whether this comes down to this specific iteration of the controller or whether it's something OUYA owners will simply have to live with.

One of our consoles also had a very sticky right analog stick, which, when pushed all the way up, would stay there for a few seconds before popping back to neutral. And, we have to say, we'd have preferred concave surfaces on the top of the analog sticks rather than the convex ones here, but that can be chalked up to personal preference.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

net.sokay.DonutGetOUYA

OK, thanks for the advice!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Uncle Jam posted:

Some of this was posted before but here is the rest about the controller. Because for fucks sake, this is a $50 controller!

Holy gently caress everything about that sounds terrible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Disargeria posted:

Is his... is his pant leg torn open?

E: Wait, no, that's a tail.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
One very legitimate criticism that I read about that really hasn't been talked about here is how the OUYA is a giant kick in the balls as its Android but not Android. On any device that has Google Play I can buy an app, and then later download it to any other device I have that can access Google Play. Of course there are apps that don't support so many devices, but for the most part this is true.

However, with the OUYA, you are pretty much buying an Android game... except if you want to play it on the bus you'll have to rebuy it. That kind of blows. Also, engadget called out one developer who was charging $1 more for his game on OUYA (the response was that the game was more difficult on OUYA, so more money). If you want FF3 on your OUYA AND your tab, well that's $30 please.

I suppose this argument is not valid if you just intend to pirate the poo poo out of everything, but there you go.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Uncle Jam posted:

One very legitimate criticism that I read about that really hasn't been talked about here is how the OUYA is a giant kick in the balls as its Android but not Android. On any device that has Google Play I can buy an app, and then later download it to any other device I have that can access Google Play. Of course there are apps that don't support so many devices, but for the most part this is true.

However, with the OUYA, you are pretty much buying an Android game... except if you want to play it on the bus you'll have to rebuy it. That kind of blows. Also, engadget called out one developer who was charging $1 more for his game on OUYA (the response was that the game was more difficult on OUYA, so more money). If you want FF3 on your OUYA AND your tab, well that's $30 please.

To be fair, that's an equal criticism of the Kindle Fire, which is guilty of the same "Android, but pretending not to be" horse poo poo. I think you're forced to use the poo poo-tacular Amazon App Store unless you root it.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Disargeria posted:

Goddamnit, The Brain. You went from trying to take over the world to appearing on OUYA games? For shame.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Ahem

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Nice!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do the likes for a game confirm a sale as well? Can you like a game you don't own?

I wonder how many games will even break $150.

edit: I love picking random games from their list and seeing the gameplay

http://youtu.be/k6OwoAYLK-0?t=2m

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh my hell, that MS-paint sprayed beard :cry:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Has anybody answered why one of their (incredibly boring and ugly looking) flagship games is named German Prisoner-of-War Camp Flight?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Has anybody answered why one of their (incredibly boring-looking) flagship games is named German Prisoner-of-War Camp Flight?

I really, really hope that in the game you're a German soldier trying to escape the Americans.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I also still cannot get over how tremendously lovely both the visuals and gameplay look for so many of the games that are supposed to be emblematic of what will make the OUYA great.

I saw a video of what I guess were the DesignJam winners, as in stuff that actually got awards, and it all looked just atrocious on every level.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Madcosby posted:

I like this one myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HLqtIYLqic
Sorry about the crappy youtube, but that's the only video of the gameplay I can find, and I'm pretty sure it was recorded by the developer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Madcosby posted:

Do the likes for a game confirm a sale as well? Can you like a game you don't own?

Gazillioniare with a generic sci-fi theme instead of psychedelic aliens, making it one step closer to true spreadsheet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inspector_71 posted:

I also still cannot get over how tremendously lovely both the visuals and gameplay look for so many of the games that are supposed to be emblematic of what will make the OUYA great.

I saw a video of what I guess were the DesignJam winners, as in stuff that actually got awards, and it all looked just atrocious on every level.

The problem with bringing gaming back to the people is that a good number of people are rather stupid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Inspector_71 posted:

Has anybody answered why one of their (incredibly boring and ugly looking) flagship games is named German Prisoner-of-War Camp Flight?

I played the Web version of that game and got bored after five minutes. I can't believe that in The Year Two Thousand and Thirteen that a system would promote a "launch game" like that as one of their selling points.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played the Web version of that game and got bored after five minutes. I can't believe that in The Year Two Thousand and Thirteen that a system would promote a "launch game" like that as one of their selling points.

Do we know how much it's selling for? I want to determine a "dollars to minutes of gaming" ratio.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

raditts posted:

I've seen many of them in stores.

hedgecore posted:

they were pretty much pulled from all stores

In case it wasn't clear that I know they were once in stores, but hardly are anymore, there's that. I have never seen one since within the few months of launch in a retail store. Your mileage may vary, of course. BestBuy.com lets me order one online, but there is no in-store availability.

I did find a forum where people found maybe 50 apps that are compatible, so yes, my initial knowledge was wrong. From the initial reviews I found only a select few were compatible, but it looks like that has changed.

I also meant apps in general, so I said that, not "only able to run a few things at a time". I'm not sure where you pulled that from. But at this point it's clear you only read what you wanted to hear, and clearly I just made poo poo up, not you, so kudos?

zylche posted:

Well I threw together a crap piece of javascript to parse the OUYA store's api. I couldn't find the font OUYA uses so I went with an appropriate one. Don't expect a fancy site or that, it's just there to make the data more legible, so anyone wanting to improve just go ahead. Also I have a cronjob going to update the json blob every hour and it's loading from my server so that should lessen the impact on OUYA.

Here's the game list: http://78.129.218.249/ouya/

Jesus. This is probably the first good use of Comic Sans I have ever seen.

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 4, 2013

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gameplay footage! From the developers!
(crashes, shows a mouse cursor, doesn't respond)

http://youtu.be/-quB0krBsVg?t=23s

I tried to find "Escape" but instead found
MAGIC ESCAPE
http://youtu.be/TLl247ytYzs?t=53s

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 4, 2013

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Don't be ridiculous, nobody is saying that it's impossible to attach one thing to another thing using an adhesive, that would be loving retarded. We're mocking Xboxpants because of his assertion that the faceplates must be aluminum because there are magnets attached to it, and of course the faceplates are aluminum because it's attached magnetically!

What alchemy has produced this magnetic aluminium? We can't be too far from the clear aluminium in Star Trek now if that is the case, or should I say plastic aluminium which the OOGLE is made out of.

Don't forget that xboxpants said much earlier that plastic conducts heat better than aluminium. Even though aluminium is about 600 to 1800 times more thermally conductive. This thread has physics and chemistry turned on its head.

Madcosby posted:

You barely manged with your lives... :psypop:

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 4, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Madcosby posted:

Gameplay footage! From the developers!
(crashes, shows a mouse cursor, doesn't respond)

http://youtu.be/-quB0krBsVg?t=23s

Oh man, I played the gently caress out of this game. In a browser. In High School. Except the one I played more features.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 4, 2013

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Madcosby posted:

There is a demo available on Kongregate of this 2010 game and it is absolutely horrible. Seriously, you could not pay me to play this.

According that game list, OUYA has two SNES emulators and look at the cutting edge graphics on Blood

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hedgecore posted:

In case it wasn't clear that I know they were once in stores, but hardly are anymore, there's that. I have never seen one since within the few months of launch in a retail store. Your mileage may vary, of course. BestBuy.com lets me order one online, but there is no in-store availability.

This is getting to an Xboxpants level of pedantry so I don't even care that much anymore, but...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=5764553&searchpage=true&_requestid=86371
This has been out for almost a year and I saw it just the other day. It looks like it's in every Best Buy within like a hundred miles of me :confused:

The NeoTV Prime doesn't appear to only be on Best Buy's website, but is at Staples. Of course that's the only place I could find it, but I don't know what other electronics stores exist anymore.

All I'm saying is that you seem to act like you have a lot of knowledge about something you've clearly never actually used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Devian666 posted:

Don't forget that xboxpants said much earlier that plastic conducts heat better than aluminium. Even though aluminium is about 600 to 1800 times more thermally conductive. This thread has physics and chemistry turned on its head.

I think you've got me confused with someone else, there was someone that did say something like that, but that wasn't me. I definitely screwed up on the magnetic aluminum thing, though. But whatever material it is, it's also not plastic, like the post I replied to was suggesting.

• Locked thread