Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

QPZIL posted:

Сука.

I didn't say I didn't know Russian; you take that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I get paid to go camping, deep in the wilderness. I like to take pictures of said wilderness.

I think that makes me professionally homeless. I use computers all drat day, including ruggedized Panasonic Toughbooks when out. I prefer my cameras and other electronics to be as similarly rugged as possible, and I'm willing to sacrifice some image quality to have a camera that can handle a bit of rain / snow / dust because I will inevitably drop my camera into the hole I'm digging.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Look at all you scrubs paying a school to learn how to use computers.

Self-taught is the only way to go.

I'm doing a CCNA fast-track course over the next few weeks because I'm getting back into the ~*computer industry*~ and I can't be trusted to study enough on my own to pass the test. I did my best to get out of being a computer janitor but it turns out everything else is awful (PENTAX :mad:)

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I get paid to go camping, deep in the wilderness. I like to take pictures of said wilderness.

I think that makes me professionally homeless. I use computers all drat day, including ruggedized Panasonic Toughbooks when out. I prefer my cameras and other electronics to be as similarly rugged as possible, and I'm willing to sacrifice some image quality to have a camera that can handle a bit of rain / snow / dust because I will inevitably drop my camera into the hole I'm digging.

My vagina grew a beard just reading that. You rugged, manly man.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

Biking, skiing, photography, computers. The bourgie hobby quad-fecta.
Hey now :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ExecuDork posted:

Can I interest you in the Nikonos V

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

xzzy posted:

Look at all you scrubs paying a school to learn how to use computers.

Self-taught is the only way to go.

I cant do my job self-taught. Requires years of math and stupid tests and continuing educations every loving year. The upside, is that i get to touch billions of dollars.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I think he needs a camera that'll work at least some of the time.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Friends!

woot fatigue posted about this thing: http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/vizelex-rhinocam-for-sony-nex-e-mount-cameras.html
The idea being that you use a medium format lens with a digital camera, but you slide the camera to cover the image circle.

That's great and all, but what if you wanted to do something like a 4x5 or even 8x10? That would be tedious!

Behold!

This is a stackshot: http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php
The idea behind this thing is to use as a macro rail and go in little steps to move your in focus area through the object you are photographing and stack the in focus parts. That lets you have a really close up shot of a bug or whatever and get it all in focus rather than a this slice.

But!

You can turn the camera sideways and have it do larger steps. That's great, you could get a panorama like that with a large format lens. Suppose you want a grid to cover the image circle of the large format lens? You would need two stackshots working together. Is that possible? I emailed them to find out, and it turns out they are working on it and hope to have something done in a few months, maybe the end of the year.

They did tell me though, that they have a secret test firmware and some blank spaces on the PCB of the controller unit where you can make a master and slave setup if you can't wait.

So everyone email them and bug them to make the thing so I can buy one, please.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
:v: Oh, you do networking? What's your degree in?

:smug: Don't have one

:v: What certifications do you have?

:smug: Haven't gotten around to getting any yet. I guess I could go grab a CCNA if I really felt like it.

:v: How much do you make again?

:smug: Lots.

Self-taught, best taught.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Musket posted:

I cant do my job self-taught. Requires years of math and stupid tests and continuing educations every loving year. The upside, is that i get to touch billions of dollars.

Doesn't count if the billions aren't yours.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

xzzy posted:

Doesn't count if the billions aren't yours.

Counts at 4% commission. :smugdog:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Musket posted:

gently caress yeah :hfive:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Sup fellow money toucher!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much of that 4% goes into paying student loans. :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
$0.00 :colbert:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Hah! I don't fit the goon mold! My degree is in psychology, I work with kids with ASD, and I don't really bike (though I wouldn't mind getting into it if I didn't want to spend all of my money on photo stuff, guns, and cooking poo poo)

since we're a nonprofit and I couldn't stand for us to get ripped off by the lovely local IT company I also manage the IT when I have any downtime / my kids are out sick

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

You're awesome. I'm starting a natural history media nonprofit so I can do more of that and less inane video/animation/coding crap for awful clients.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Musket posted:

So you get $40 million if you touch $1 billion?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Went to school for poli sci, am currently farming instead. :negative:

I do have a bike though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lawyer, retired Army, bike with the boy, golf, do no IT (I do have 4 full time IT that work for me), and am the dork room equivalent of a dentist.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

These are all things I do. And hey, if you've got money and a technological golden age you might as well play with all the nifty toys.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I do real science with lasers and poo poo, not :airquote:computer science:airquote:, have a black hipster bike with a white seat and one gear, and spend more time thinking and reading about photography than doing actual photography.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Went to school for poli sci, am currently farming instead. :negative:

I do have a bike though.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about weed. Weed is the 4th element.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

QPZIL posted:

Can I interest you in the Nikonos V

Yes. Yes you can. I'd love to have one, especially in that fetching safety orange colour.

Moon Potato posted:

You're awesome. I'm starting a natural history media nonprofit so I can do more of that and less inane video/animation/coding crap for awful clients.
Why thank you. Really, the getting paid to go camping part is an unfortunately small part of my activities when averaged over the length of my PhD - field work is what I live for, but field-work scientists spend at least 4x as much time a) justifying their existence (grant writing - Jet B is expensive) and b) analysing the samples and data collected in the last trip.

Spedman posted:

I do real science with lasers and poo poo and spend more time thinking and reading about photography than doing actual photography.
Me too. I'll put up some pictures of both sooner or later.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Is this the dick waving contest of our lives?

Not in IT, don't own a bike, and I like commercial photography. I don't think I'm dorkroom qualified.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

CarrotFlowers posted:

Not in IT, don't own a bike, and I like commercial photography. I don't think I'm dorkroom qualified.

Being a girltographer you technically aren't qualified for dick waving either.

EDIT: I don't actually know what sort of standards the international commitee on the waving of dicks has set forth, I just assume artificial ones get their own league or something.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 3, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CarrotFlowers posted:

I don't own a bike, I'm not in IT, and I have no opinion one way or the other as regards commercial photography other than I have a friend who is a professional wedding photographer and I wish him success in his business.

Dorkroom qualified? Pshaw! We have both a "point and shoot" thread AND a "My first DSLR" thread - there's no room for snobbery here. Rejoice! All photographers are welcome! At least as far as I'm concerned. Isn't there also a phone-photography thread?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the concept of a "dick waving contest of our lives" will make it into storytime, when the urge next strikes me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

Dorkroom qualified? Pshaw! We have both a "point and shoot" thread AND a "My first DSLR" thread - there's no room for snobbery here. Rejoice! All photographers are welcome! At least as far as I'm concerned. Isn't there also a phone-photography thread?

Plenty of room for snobbery in both the film and medium/large format threads. :jiggled:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

8th-samurai posted:

Plenty of room for snobbery in both the film and medium/large format threads. :jiggled:

I'm just glad the rest of the threads have turned into the new best threads. Really takes the pressure off.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-samurai posted:

That snobbery begins and ends with the Pentax ME Super. :colbert:

Pentax ME Super by Execudork, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ExecuDork posted:

That snobbery begins and ends with the Pentax ME Super. :colbert:

Pentax ME Super by Execudork, on Flickr

Unffff that strap owns so hard. As does the camera. And the lens.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Why thank you. Really, the getting paid to go camping part is an unfortunately small part of my activities when averaged over the length of my PhD - field work is what I live for, but field-work scientists spend at least 4x as much time a) justifying their existence (grant writing - Jet B is expensive) and b) analysing the samples and data collected in the last trip.

That seems about the way of things. I'm knee deep in organizing documents, federal/state filings and grant proposals but it will be completely worthwhile if it leads to working on projects I care about.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
People are like there's a fine line here and a fine line there but honestly, any repetition of an ironic statement is, as far as I'm concerned, leaps and bounds over any sort of fine line, or even a course rough line made from what you guys I think call sharpies for some reason even though they're kinda blunt like the face of a boxer. In relation to this Pentax super me thing anyway.

My point being that if you guys go on long enough about the drat things, someone might see one, someday, dusty and sitting at the back of a antique store in a Egyptian bazaar and be like oh poo poo, it's a Pentax super me and like an idiot, they now have a Pentax super me. Like, now they own one. And after that its really just a quality of life issue and whether or not it's worth going on. You know, with the day to day grind of waking up and being aware of yourself in a new and morbid way, like the story of the man who dreams he's eating burnt marshemllows over a wood fire wakes up with an empty pillow case and a dog collar.

This loving ipad mini doesn't let me move the cursor around, so just know that I was going to flesh that paragraph out on how to haggle in third world countries, including the old keeping a small amount of money in one pocket for the hopeless and sad haggle, where you don't know where you are and what money is and how you're going to get back to the hotel but you want the vase and this is all you have so please mister sell it to me and so on.

Anyway, gopro hero 3 review:

I hate the gopro hero 3 black. It's in the bottom of my bag in a sock with the remote, the charger, and an ipad to sd card adaptor. I hate it because everyone said it was good at low light and its not good at low light and I suspect it's entirely my fault because I have a different idea of what is good in low light that doesn't correspond to anybody else's view on the subject. The loving thing ratchets up the ISO when a wisp of moisture passes the sun. It just starts screaming to itself, resets the clock to midnight, the zone to the arctic and the month to December. It's like doing up a seatbelt on a four wheel drive on a rough track. You pull it tenderly, so tenderly, and it jams every millimetre over your gut, makes you feel proper loving obese, just because it thinks its in an accident and every time it jams you know it's smug as poo poo about saving you. And the battery lasts two hours. That is, if you accidentally leave it on, doing nothing, it lasts two hours and it takes an hour to charge it again.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FasterThanLight posted:

So you get $40 million if you touch $1 billion?

If we did a 100% conservation rate, yes. Real world numbers are not 40mil. Easiest way to explain what we do. We assist Actuarial Types with maturity over their entire portfolio. If they do not have a maturity rule/clause we help them issue this, and move forward. When maturity is done successfully, client earns 3-5.5%, company gets capital and I buy another Leica.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Helmacron posted:

like the story of the man who dreams he's eating burnt marshemllows over a wood fire wakes up with an empty pillow case and a dog collar.

So, you bought the ME Super?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helmacron posted:

Anyway, gopro hero 3 review:

I hate the gopro hero 3 black. It's in the bottom of my bag in a sock with the remote, the charger, and an ipad to sd card adaptor. I hate it because everyone said it was good at low light and its not good at low light and I suspect it's entirely my fault because I have a different idea of what is good in low light that doesn't correspond to anybody else's view on the subject. The loving thing ratchets up the ISO when a wisp of moisture passes the sun. It just starts screaming to itself, resets the clock to midnight, the zone to the arctic and the month to December. It's like doing up a seatbelt on a four wheel drive on a rough track. You pull it tenderly, so tenderly, and it jams every millimetre over your gut, makes you feel proper loving obese, just because it thinks its in an accident and every time it jams you know it's smug as poo poo about saving you. And the battery lasts two hours. That is, if you accidentally leave it on, doing nothing, it lasts two hours and it takes an hour to charge it again.

Better than the ~4-year-old GoPro Hero Wide I have - you only get about 15 minutes of video out of a pair of AAAs. :psypop: Doing something that takes longer than that? Too loving bad.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Better than the ~4-year-old GoPro Hero Wide I have - you only get about 15 minutes of video out of a pair of AAAs. :psypop: Doing something that takes longer than that? Too loving bad.

Should have bought multiple units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I just want to say that I really like what this thread has become. Only because of Helwootmalcrontigue